Start by marking “In the Footsteps of the Band of Brothers: A Return to Easy Company's Battlefields with Sgt. Forrest Guth” as Want to Read:
Preview

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A tribute to World War II heroism from the national bestselling author of "Biggest Brother."
The paratroopers of Easy Company, 101st Airborne Division, have come to symbolize the incredible bravery and heroism shown by the greatest generation in World War II. on the eve of the 65th anniversary of the Allies' victory in Europe, author Larry Alexander crosses an ocean and a
Published May 1st 2010 by New American Library (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about In the Footsteps of the Band of Brothers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Footsteps of the Band of Brothers

Andres
Any fan of the 'Band of Brothers' will be rewarded by reading this book.

I read this at the same time I read A Company of Heroes by Marcus Brotherton and they work very well together, as I mentioned in my review of that book.

This is a travelogue and history of the 'Band of Brothers' experiences in World War II Europe enriched by the memories of Forrest Guth, who accompanied the author to most of the places covered. I really enjoyed the then-and-now approach to each location and the clarifying of
Beckie
An interesting perspective as the author (Larry Alexander) returns to the scenes of several Easy Company battles along with Sgt. Forrest Guth, an Easy veteran.
Ryan Witalison
A must read for fans of the Band of Brothers, Larry Alexander uses a trip with his friend and Easy Company Vet Sgt. Forest Guth to many of their battlefields to tell the real story behind the Band of Brothers. Including the fact it was Forest Guth who went on the famous Last Patrol and not David Webster as seen in the miniseries. The Book does not cover the company's time in Germany as Sgt. Guth was awarded a 30 day pass in late March and was in the US visiting friends and Family when the war in ...more
A Smith
A must read revisiting of Easy Company and the 506th of the Famed 101st.

This has a great twist as the author brought members of E Company all the way from England, Europe until the end of hostilities in WWII.

Every site where E Co fired a shot and engaged the enemy is visited and recounted.

It's amazing and chilling especially in the forests where Easy dug in and the trenches where they dug in we're still there after all these years. One site was completely undisturbed except for weather after
Heidi
The author seemed to be regurgiitating information that was already out there. I found it informative but......
I enjoyed this travel back to the battlefields of Easy Company. Forrest Guth of Easy Company accompanied Larry Alexander to Europe and shared insights and thoughts about each place. Larry also included several of the other veterans' comments about places and paratroopers which he gathered from their own published stories.

As a fan of Band of Brothers I wanted to watch the series again with these thoughts and details in mind.

I will definitely have to add to my reading list Biggest Brother: The Lif
Lee
This book is part travelogue and part war story as author Larry Alexander goes through France and Holland with Easy Company member Forrest Guth. He goes to the major engagements that the company participated in and tells the story of what happened and then he tells how the town or village is in the present time. Good read.
Karen Thompson
A great addition to the Band of Brothers legacy. It was interesting to hear this soldiers take on each of the campaigns and a sober reminder of the sacrifice made for the freedom and way of life enjoyed by so many throughout the world because of the brave tenacity of the Americans' role in WWII. Great read!
 Dr. Michael Galvin
Larry Alexander revisits the battle grounds of Easy Company with Easy Company Sergeant Forrest Guth. A good companion book to Ambrose's Band Of Brothers but I recommend reading the Ambrose book first.
Ken Jacobs
Very good read. The author travels back to the battlefields of the group of paratroopers made famous by the Band of Brothers miniseries. A veteran paratrooper acts as his guide.
Liz
A great addition to all the other Band of Brothers books. Filled in a lot of gaps in the stories as well as told new stories. Definitely worth reading.
Don Weidinger
to be the best, hog gut trenches, 24 cemeteries 15 countries, 9K Omaha 300 brothers 4 women 1500 mia 300 unknown, 35 over 300 in all tactics by easy company.
Kurt Thonnings
Good account of these now well-known men. Dick Winters just recently died. Ahhhh. And the marchers in the parades grow less and less
Chris
I liked this book, it is a good travelogue and I found all parts of it to be interesting, easy to read and entertaining.
Tomlikeslife
It was okay but really didn't add any additional information to the story of Easy company.
Tiffany Hendricks
Tiffany Hendricks marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Andes
Andes added it
Apr 17, 2015
Charles Chin
Charles Chin marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Mary Bronson
Mary Bronson marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Everett Lathrop
Everett Lathrop marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
SUSAN BRUMFIELD
SUSAN BRUMFIELD marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Torrident
Torrident marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Rodney Ulyate
Rodney Ulyate marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Stacy Butterworth
Stacy Butterworth marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Phyrman21
Phyrman21 marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Shifty's War: The Authorized Biography of Sergeant Darrell "Shifty" Powers, the Legendary Sharpshooter from the Band of Brothers
  • Call of Duty: My Life Before, During and After the Band of Brothers
  • The Road to Arnhem: A Screaming Eagle in Holland
  • Brothers In Battle, Best of Friends
  • Brave Men
  • Parachute Infantry: An American Paratrooper's Memoir of D-Day and the Fall of the Third Reich
  • Easy Company Soldier: The Legendary Battles of a Sergeant from World War II's "Band of Brothers"
  • Day Of Deceit: The Truth About FDR and Pearl Harbor
  • I'm Staying With My Boys...: The Heroic Life of Sgt. John Basilone, USMC
  • The Dead and Those About to Die: D-Day: The Big Red One at Omaha Beach
  • The Great Raid: Rescuing the Doomed Ghosts of Bataan and Corregidor
  • The Boys' Crusade: The American Infantry in Northwestern Europe, 1944-45
  • Tonight We Die As Men: The untold story of Third Battalion 506 Parachute Infantry Regiment from Toccoa to D-Day
  • Beyond Band of Brothers: The War Memoirs of Major Dick Winters
  • Islands of the Damned: A Marine at War in the Pacific
  • Patton, Montgomery, Rommel: Masters of War
  • Guadalcanal Diary
  • With Hitler to the End: The Memoirs of Adolf Hitler's Valet
Larry Alexander is a journalist and military historian who has written a number of books about World War II, most notably about Easy Company of the 101st Airborne Division of the U.S. Army. Easy Company was made famous principally by Stephen Ambrose's book, Band of Brothers, and the television miniseries of that name.

For over a decade, Alexander has been a columnist for the "Intelligencer Journal"
More about Larry Alexander...
Biggest Brother: The Life of Major Dick Winters, the Man Who Led the Band of Brothers Shadows In The Jungle: The Alamo Scouts Behind Japanese Lines In World War II In de voetsporen van Band of Brothers: met sergeant Forrest Guth terug naar de slagvelden van Easy Company Biggest Brother: Majoor Dick Winters, de leider van de Band of Brothers Crime and Culpability: A Theory of Criminal Law (Cambridge Introductions to Philosophy and Law)