Start by marking “Genesis” as Want to Read:
Genesis

Genesis

2.97 of 5 stars 2.97  ·  rating details  ·  238 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Artificial intelligence has been developed to a point where a human personality can be uploaded into a computer, achieving a sort of hybrid immortality. Astronaut Christian Brannock welcomes this technology, technology that will make it possible for him to achieve his dream of exploring the stars.

A billion years later, Brannock returns to earth to check on some strange an
Published April 1st 2007 by Tor Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Genesis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Genesis

Stuart
Fantastic ideas, but a bit clunky in terms of format. Anderson explores what the end result of evolution may be and the idea that we could literally be constructing our own gods to guide our destinies.

The story is told from the perspective of Christian Brannock, an avatar of a man whose mind was uploaded into a computer and sent off to explore the stars. As time progresses, more and more people choose to upload their minds. Some go to the stars, others remain in the central computer being used
Buck Ward
Disappointed.

Not a particularly long novel, Genesis might have been better had it been shorter. The shorterness in itself would have been an improvement. Anderson spends way too much time in description, explanation, and story building. In the early parts of the book, much time is spent getting to know the characters and their motivations in a rivalrous clan society, with which the main characters never have any interaction. This culture has absolutly no bearing on the plot, what there is of one
Greg
There are lots of really big ideas in this book about human nature, the future of machine intelligences, interspecies morality, should sentient beings be husbanded like domesticated animals. The ending is a little unsatisfactory, but on the whole a very enjoyable book and very tightly written, like science fiction classics of old that clocked in at under 90,000 words, unlike to 600 page behemoths that have become so common.
Tim Martin
In a genre noted for epic scope and lengthy timelines _Genesis_ by Poul Anderson really stands out. A billion years passes in the course of the novel though as one might imagine the reader does not follow along all or even most of what transpires in this setting's history.

Reminding me in some ways of another excellent novel of his, _Starfarers_, Anderson handles the huge sweep of time in the book in several ways. For many of the individuals involved, they are traveling near the speed of light an
Lyn
Poul Anderson published Genesis in the same year of his death, 2001. Just as The Shootist was an appropriate swan song for the ailing John Wayne, Genesis is a fitting final book in the celebrated cannon of this great writer. A recurring theme in much of his work, especially in the last decade of his life was immortality and here, as in Harvest of Stars, a sentient human is uploaded into a computer and allowed to continue on into infinity. Genesis also calls to mind Anderson’s excellent novel The ...more
Naomi
This was my first encounter with Poul Anderson. It's the last one published before his death, and according to fans it's not one his best. Well, I liked it well enough that I'm curious about his other works. I understand he's great for hard scifi
Scooter
I was loving this one for about the first 3/4. The plot spans millions of years, exploring the development of both humans and machine intelligence, and yet somehow, the story never gets too sprawling -- it always remains (relatively) intimate and accessible. I lost the thread a bit near the end, which brought it down from 4 to 3 stars. I'm glad I read it, though.

By the way, before I clicked "play," I was trying to remember why I had picked this book -- and then I heard the narrator. I love Tom W
Rob
Woof!Talk about circular writing. Veering between incomprehensible and downright boring, what a splendid concept brought to disappointment.
Matt
Some interesting concepts involving a future where humans, before they die, can have their conscious mind uploaded into artificially intelligent gestalt group creatures. So the “singularity” is achieved here, and it allows for a sort of immortality. Some AI gestalts take to the stars while one, Gaia, stays in our home solar system.

Anderson’s pedantic prose style makes this a difficult read. I had a fascination with time-travel as a teenager, and I tried to pick up “Shield of Time” novel a couple
Krishna Shah
I enjoy reading Poul Anderson because he comes up with some interesting topics--the idea of human beings able to travel to the stars by downloading their personalities/entities.

I couldn't get into the book though. The beginning of the book was so confusing and not well written. I had no idea what was going on--the narrarater was trying to get a picture across of how things were?

The plot finally got started with an introduction of the main character around page 40 but I'd lost interest by then.
John
This is probably a 2.5 rather than a 3, but I rounded up.

The description of the book listed above is pretty terrible. It's more of a story about what it means to be human and if the term has any meaning when you can upload your mind into a machine. It was an interesting read, but somewhat lacking. None of the characters are fleshed out enough to really connect with. The story either needed to be shorter to only present its ideas or longer to fully develop the characters.

Overall, I'm left feeli
Michael
I found this book to be rather lackluster for science fiction. I could see he wanted to address the whole human nature concept with this novel, but I felt (and I rarely say this) this book could have done with about 200 more pages. Too much of this book seemed skimmed over and very little understanding. I was able to finish it because the second section of the book was at least a bit better than the first part, but I would still state this book isn't the best science fiction has to offer.
Jeremiah Johnson
Too much of this book is completely pointless. Several chapters have characters and plot elements that have absolutely nothing to do with the overall story (if you can say there actually is an overall story...) Also, having a computer that is anti-technology is ludicrous at best.
For such a short book, I had a very hard time finishing this due to lack of interest and very weak storytelling.
Lis Carey
More than half of this book is the story that was published under the same title in Gregory Benford's anthology, Far Futures. The new material, unlike Starfarers, has a distinct air of rehashing old territory. Not bad, but not particularly recommended either. Enjoyable if it happens to be lying around and you don't have anything new.
Robert
Interesting idea, but unclear ending with some chapters of the future history of the human race unexplained. I would have liked to have spent more time in these theorized civilizations, rather than just having a single unconnected chapter or paragraph dedicated to them.
Ned Stenger White
i've always loved Poul, but this was a really dificult read. as others have said here, he wants to explore some grand ideas, but this time the writing seems to falter badly.

this won't stop me from loving him.
Keith Bell
Poul Anderson is a master of Fantasy and Sci-Fi. Expected more than I got. Great premise which gave me much to think about nut ultimately was just that.... a great idea for a story but no true story line.
Robert
just started...so far has his typical attention to technical detail combined with a profound overarching social question. Not sure that this is at the level of "Brainwave" but, we'll see.
Tressa
Genesis read like an uninteresting history textbook. There wasn't any action for several chapters and I didn't care for any of the characters. I stopped listening.
Jerroleen
Meh. This tries to be all philosophical and just winds up boring.
Will Page
Slow going. Too much exposition.
Kerri-ann
Mar 31, 2013 Kerri-ann marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Campbelll.2001.Winner
Jeremy Paine
Jeremy Paine marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Noah Temple
Noah Temple marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Theo Logos
Theo Logos is currently reading it
Jan 28, 2015
  • The Years Of The City
  • Terraforming Earth
  • In War Times
  • Song of Time
  • Beyond Apollo
  • Buddy Holly is Alive and Well on Ganymede
  • Titan
  • Pacific Edge (Three Californias Triptych, #3)
  • Mindscan
  • The Alteration
  • Omega (The Academy, #4)
  • On Wings of Song
  • Psychohistorical Crisis
  • Helliconia Winter (Helliconia, #3)
  • The Year of the Quiet Sun
  • The Child Garden
  • A Door Into Ocean
  • Probability Space (Probability, #3)
Pseudonym A. A. Craig, Michael Karageorge, Winston P. Sanders, P. A. Kingsley.

Poul William Anderson was an American science fiction author who began his career during one of the Golden Ages of the genre and continued to write and remain popular into the 21st century. Anderson also authored several works of fantasy, historical novels, and a prodigious number of short stories. He received numerous a
More about Poul Anderson...
Tau Zero The Broken Sword The Boat of a Million Years Three Hearts and Three Lions The High Crusade