Wild Women: Crusaders, Curmudgeons, and Completely Corsetless Ladies in the Otherwise Virtuous Victorian Era

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A fascinating and hilarious glimpse into the lives of 150 nineteenth-century American women who refused to whittle themselves down to the Victorian model of proper womanhood.
Published November 1st 1992 by Conari Press

To ask other readers questions about Wild Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wild Women

Uppity Women of Medieval Times by Vicki LeónA Treasury of Foolishly Forgotten Americans by Michael FarquharUppity Women of the Renaissance by Vicki LeónThe Decline and Fall of Practically Everybody by Will CuppyDoomed Queens by Kris Waldherr
Biographical Sketches
16th out of 58 books — 20 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldSense and Sensibility by Jane AustenLove's Labor's Lost by William ShakespeareOf Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
Alliterations
447th out of 488 books — 33 voters

More lists with this book...

Chris
I have to agree with another reviewer, I'm not really sure why all the women were include here - I mean Delia Bacon?

But I did learn that the women ran for president long before they could vote. I liked the fact that some of the women were linked. I really enjoyed the story about the women who walked down a street in her all together (No, she didn't get raped).

I have to wonder though. If so many women could marry other women back in the day, why does society have a problem with homosexual marria...more
Brianna Karp
Lots of fun to read and definitely interesting/empowering material. The only thing I wished was that there was more written about each woman; the book was a series of short vignettes, and there wasn't enough room to delve too much into the details.
Infatuated with Light
For those of us who thought we knew what the Victorian era was all about, here come a book about women who didn't find it glamorous to faint because their corsets were squeezing the life out of them, and others who ran for president when women couldn't even vote.

This book covers anybody that was qualifed as "wild" at the time (I simply think they were ahead of their time):
-sharpshooters
-freedom fighters
-women who wore something that slightly ressembles pants (*le gasp of horror!*)
-full-blown...more
Ana
My mistake was in confusing this volume with one of the 'Uppity Women' series. Similar format and all that. Next time i'll pay more attention and not be fooled by the size of a book ;o)

I remember really enjoying the 'Uppity Women' titles - I've read the Ancient and Medieval Times volumes - and wanting to read more about each woman after finishing each book.

Not so with this title. I found it a bit of a drag to keep on reading it. Each woman gets 1.5 to 1.75 pages. That bit is ok seeing as this is...more
Cheryl in CC NV
Nov 03, 2012 Cheryl in CC NV marked it as skimmed-reference-dnf
I just can't read books like this - two small pages for each woman is not enough and I'd rather get to know a few than taste a lot. Maybe it'd be a good reference for an upper-level history classroom - each student could choose one woman to research.
Becky
Jun 29, 2012 Becky rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Wild Women is a book by author Autumn Stephens on women of the Victorian times who weren't quite that Victorian. From Victoria Woodhull, the nation's first female presidential candidate to Ann Eliza Young, the young polygamous wife of Mormon leader Brigham Young who became a divorcee at young age to the sisters Yates; Sarah and Adelaide who married the conjoined twins Chang and Eng Bunker to Sarah Winchester the widow who kept building until her death on advice from a psychic.

This book is a fun...more
Deina
Feb 26, 2014 Deina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any young girl looking to find herself
A glimpse into 150 of the Victorian era's most avant-garde females.

Gives enough information for one to start researching those they find most interesting.
Tami
Always interesting to read about women who stepped out of their 'traditional' roles and followed their hearts (or other body parts, on occasion . . .) Somehow we all need to find a way to be ourselves, even when we don't quite fit in with what society expects. Made me appreciate the freedoms that I have - and made me VERY glad I wasn't around during the victorian era. And reminded me - we can do ANYTHING . . . (and now I have some biographies to read!)
Michael
Wild women during the Victorian age. Many I had heard of like Harriet Beecher Stowe, Susan B. Anthony, Louisa May Alcott, Emily Dickinson, Harriet Tubman, Calamity Jane, and Annie Oakley. Many more stories of famous women during that time period.
Rhoda
I reallly find this book interesting and looove how much more "free" we are as women. We have a long way to go sometimes in somethings but WOW I love my grandmas sooo much more now on how hard they were judged.
Sequoia
Will be a valuable reference source of encouragement and pride for my daughter's women in history units.
Lori
Fun short bios of interesting women of the Victorian Era
Sonia
Uhm -- hilarious. Ravishing. Lovely.
Aida
clever, clever mini-history with style
Beth Couvreur hubbard
Beth Couvreur hubbard marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
ninamo
ninamo marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Terri
Terri marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Pigeonsquid
Pigeonsquid marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Hope Dee
Hope Dee marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Katharine
Katharine marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Roar Softly and Carry a Great Lipstick: 28 Women Writers on Life, Sex, and Survival Wild Words from Wild Women: An Unbridled Collection of Candid Observations and Extremely Opinionated Bon Mots Wild Women in the White House The Essential Handbook of Victorian Entertaining Feisty First Ladies and Other Unforgettable White House Women