Start by marking “Worlds of Honor (Worlds of Honor, #2)” as Want to Read:
Worlds of Honor (Worlds of Honor, #2)

Worlds of Honor (Worlds of Honor #2)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  1,992 ratings  ·  39 reviews
David Weber and his guests invite you to return to Honor Harrington's universe. Join young Honor and her treecat Nimitz as they face hostile weather and a hostile superior on a rescue mission. And more!
Mass Market Paperback, 407 pages
Published March 1st 2000 by Baen Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Worlds of Honor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Worlds of Honor

Kathy Davie
David Weber's What Price Dreams? was a fascinating fill-in on how the Crown Princess, Adrienne, was adopted by a treecat.
Brief mentions of Stephanie Harrington as the first adoptee.

He also wrote Hard Way Home which has two primary stories. One is of Susan Hibson as a 12-year-old and her dreams of joining the Royal Manticoran Marines while the other is of another of Honor Harrington's run-ins with one of Pavel Young's cronies. The two protagonists eventually meet when Honor takes over the search
Mayank Agarwal
Worlds of Honor
Mix bag of short stories, the one’s by David Weber and Jane Lindskold were good the other two were bad.

1.The Stray by Linda Evans
Disappointing, too many loop holes in the plot. The story didn't feel consistent to what David Weber has built up of the Tree Cats in Sphinx. Also the writing skill didn't have flow – too many repetitions. (2/5)

2.What Price Dreams? by David Weber
Loved It. A typical Weber story- great plot and storytelling. Full of Emotions, Intrigue, Thrill & Politic
John
A Book of five short stories in the Honorverse.

1) "The Stray" by Linda Evans - Mildly interesting story about a treecat from the early days of Sphinx. Grade: B

2) "What Price Dreams" by David Weber - We find out how Elizabeth got her treecat. Grade: A-

3) "Queen's Gambit" by Jane Lindskold - How Honor's Queen Elizabeth came to power after her father's assasination. Well Done, I'll be looking for other stuff by this author. Grade: A

4) "The Hard Way Home" by David Weber - An Honor story from shortly
Annette
Meh.
Picked this up when I realized I wasn't patient enough to get into the latest Honor book. It's a quick read, and most of the stories are fairly well done.
Most revolve around or at least feature treecats, easily Weber's most imagination-grabbing invention.
Only one of the guest authors was (allowed? brave enough?) to touch Weber's characters: Jane Linkskold's story about Elizabeth Winton's first days as queen at least tied with Weber's tale of the first 'cat adoption of a princess as best
Mike Franklin
Over all I found this a much better collection than the previous Worlds of Honor collection - More Than Honor - with the exception of the last story - Deck Load Strike - which was quite frankly dreadful and should never have been in there and certainly shouldn't have been the last story and so colour one's memory of the whole. I have written a few words on each story:

The Stray by Linda Evans - this was a good, enjoyable little story, though it did read a bit YA for me. Not because of any YA prot
i don't know so much that i would call it a mistake to read this book, but it was certainly ill-advised to read it during the first few weeks of a pregnancy. i had read parts of it before, but this was the first time i'd read the whole thing.

i'm giving it three and a half stars, merely because i didn't love all of the stories. what price dreams?,/i> is by far my favorite, and the descriptions from the treecats' points of view was really sweet. this was the one that made me weep like a child,
Jacqueline
extra 1/3 star.

Linda Evans - The Stray - 2.25 stars

David Weber - What Price Dreams? - 3.75 stars

Jane Lindskold - Queen's Gambit - 3.75 stars

David Weber - The Hard Way Home - 4 stars

Roland J. Green - Deck Load Strike - 2.75 stars
Kathi
Short stories in the Honorverse...

I really like the stories featuring treecats--a great opportunity to learn more about them, their abilities, their society and culture, and their relationships with humans.

I also enjoyed the rather predictable story featuring Honor that takes place before On Basilisk Station.

The last story was confusing and rather pointless, I thought. I guess it told us a little about Erehwon.

I know I will look at the treecats and their interactions with humans differently, hav
Bill
Following the Honor Harrington stories in chronological order, these are back stories for On Basilisk Station, the first Honor Harrington novel.
Two stories which give more background on the treecat culture and their bonding with humans.
3. The Stray, by Linda Evans
4. What Price Dreams? by David Weber (Princess Elizabeth is adopted.)

6. Queen's Gambit by Jane Lindskold (Elizabeth becomes Queen after King Roger is assassinated.)
7. The Hard Way Home by David Weber (Young people struggle for survival
Sharon
A compilation of short stories around the worlds on Honor. Very interesting. Gets you front row seats on some of the events mentioned in the other books.
Rebekah Roberts
I didn't really like the last story, but all the others were good
Carl Bussema
Better than the last one. Contains more stories about Treecats, and a story of a younger, Lt. Cmdr. Harrington. The story at the end about the Peeps I skipped. Thus far these anthologies are completely filler and not needed for understanding the mainline story, and rarely feature any of the characters we know from the mainline stories, so it's just setting the background for the universe, which isn't bad, but sometimes you just want to read about your favorite characters!
Colleen
David Weber really knows what he's doing with this series now. The first book, More Than Honor, started off so promisingly with Stephanie Harrington, but then meandered off in other directions. This time Weber's got the pulse of the readership -- ALL TREE CATS, ALL THE TIME.

And it is awesome. And adorable.
M
The second collection of Honorverse stories is vastly improved over the first, actually making Weber's Honor story the least favorite in this grouping. Linda Evans explores treecat/human relations with a murder mystery, Jane Lindskold tackles an adoption/assassination attempt on royalty, and Weber's one POV tale on treecats makes for a well-received anthology.
David Johnston
My gosh, it is in fact possible to write short stories in the Manticore setting! As might be expected, how interesting this book is depends on which of the stories you happen to be reading at the moment, but tree pony fans will be delighted with two of the stories recounting early incidents in the development of the relationship between human and treecats.
Barry
Oct 06, 2007 Barry rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Maybe
This was a series of short stories written by authors other than the one who wrote the series on which they were based. This is always a warning sign that the stories are inferior, don't fit the rest of the series, or both. Fortunately, that didn't happen. Two of these stories were by Weber and the others met the same high standards.
Vickey Foggin
Much better than the previous half-assed collection of background notes and chunks of detail that had been edited from the main books. I enjoyed all the stories in this book but the final one by Roland Green. I eventually gave up on that one. It was like reading white noise. I just couldn't stay focused on it.
Bob
Probably would have been better titled "World of Treecats," since all but one story were about them or featured them prominently. Decent short stories, not as good or entertaining as the Honor Harrington novels, but interesting as backstory nonetheless.
Dale (Aus)
Nice to fill in some back stories with these.
Curtiss
Nov 18, 2008 Curtiss rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any science-fiction enthusiast.
A set of short-stories which provide a great deal of background to the other novels in the series. The history of treecat-human relations is particularly fleshed-out.
Ron
This collection of novelas was a good transitional piece between the "Treecat" books featuring Stephanie Harrington, and the Honor Harrington Series.
Alpha
3.5/5 - As with the other anthologies, they're fun reads, but I'm not sure short stories are the best medium for Honorverse tales.
Ab
All but last one are excellent stories.

See also Kathy's review
Nyssa
An enjoyable, though sometimes sad or bittersweet, collection of love, loss, strength, courage, warfare and tree-cats.
Gerry Rachar
This would be a good book to read before reading the Honor Herrington books, it will make the earlier books more interesting.
Mauri
The only bone I want to pick with this book is that the cover illustrator obviously did not read the story.
Ralph McEwen
I am not much for short stories that said these stories flesh on the Honor Series.
John
I really enjoyed the short stories, especially when in chronological order
Joi
The David Weber stories are good. The one by Linda (Last Name?) was NOT good.
Kat
Jan 09, 2013 Kat marked it as to-read
I'm running out of ways to say I enjoy this series. So I'll just say it.
Beyond Reality: WORLDS of HONOR - Side Read **Marked Spoilers** 10 16 Apr 16, 2012 06:44AM
  • Training Daze (Kris Longknife, #3.5)
  • The Way to Glory (Lt. Leary, #4)
  • When the Devil Dances (Posleen War, #3)
  • Grantville Gazette, Volume 1 (Grantville Gazette, #1)
  • Marque and Reprisal (Vatta's War, #2)
David Mark Weber is an American science fiction and fantasy author. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1952.

Many of his stories have military, particularly naval, themes, and fit into the military science fiction genre. He frequently places female leading characters in what have been traditionally male roles.

One of his most popular and enduring characters is Honor Harrington whose alliterated name
More about David Weber...

Worlds of Honor (6 books)
  • More Than Honor (Worlds of Honor, #1)
  • Changer of Worlds (Worlds of Honor, #3)
  • The Service of the Sword (Worlds of Honor, #4)
  • In Fire Forged (Worlds of Honor, #5)
  • Beginnings (Worlds of Honor, #6)
On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington, #1) The Honor of the Queen (Honor Harrington, #2) The Short Victorious War (Honor Harrington, #3) Field of Dishonor (Honor Harrington, #4) Honor Among Enemies (Honor Harrington, #6)