Start by marking “Worlds of Honor (Worlds of Honor, #2)” as Want to Read:
Worlds of Honor (Worlds of Honor, #2)

Worlds of Honor (Worlds of Honor #2)

3.87  ·  Rating Details ·  2,578 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
David Weber and his guests invite you to return to Honor Harrington's universe. Join young Honor and her treecat Nimitz as they face hostile weather and a hostile superior on a rescue mission. And more!
Published March 1st 2000 by Baen Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Worlds of Honor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Worlds of Honor

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon)
These are good short stories, if you like short stories. All three books of this series. Almost better than the main Honor Harrington story thread. Better in some ways.
Kathy Davie
Dec 29, 2010 Kathy Davie rated it it was amazing
David Weber's What Price Dreams? was a fascinating fill-in on how the Crown Princess, Adrienne, was adopted by a treecat.
Brief mentions of Stephanie Harrington as the first adoptee.

He also wrote Hard Way Home which has two primary stories. One is of Susan Hibson as a 12-year-old and her dreams of joining the Royal Manticoran Marines while the other is of another of Honor Harrington's run-ins with one of Pavel Young's cronies. The two protagonists eventually meet when Honor takes over the search
Mayank Agarwal
Apr 20, 2014 Mayank Agarwal rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fiction
Worlds of Honor
Mix bag of short stories, the one’s by David Weber and Jane Lindskold were good the other two were bad.

1.The Stray by Linda Evans
Disappointing, too many loop holes in the plot. The story didn't feel consistent to what David Weber has built up of the Tree Cats in Sphinx. Also the writing skill didn't have flow – too many repetitions. (2/5)

2.What Price Dreams? by David Weber
Loved It. A typical Weber story- great plot and storytelling. Full of Emotions, Intrigue, Thrill & Politic
Edward Davies
Jul 11, 2016 Edward Davies rated it really liked it
This anthology of stories set in the Honor Harrington Universe is very difficult to rate. The first two stories, 'The Stray' by Linda Evan, and 'What Price Dreams?' by David Weber himself, were pretty dull and barely a three star rating, while 'Queen's Gambit' by Jane Linskold was a solid five stars. 'The Hard Way Home' by David Weber again was better than his first short tale, but not by much, and 'Deck Load Strike' by Roland Green took a while to get going but ends dramatically and has some fu ...more
Mike Franklin
Aug 05, 2013 Mike Franklin rated it really liked it
Over all I found this a much better collection than the previous Worlds of Honor collection - More Than Honor - with the exception of the last story - Deck Load Strike - which was quite frankly dreadful and should never have been in there and certainly shouldn't have been the last story and so colour one's memory of the whole. I have written a few words on each story:

The Stray by Linda Evans - this was a good, enjoyable little story, though it did read a bit YA for me. Not because of any YA prot
Leons1701
Nov 30, 2016 Leons1701 rated it liked it
So the second Honorverse collection pretty much follows the rules set out in the first one. We get a treecat story (two of them actually) a story by Weber (again, two of them) a story with a Havenite point of view and a story that doesn't really fit.

The Stray is the first of two treecat stories, set shortly after A Beautiful Friendship (from the first collection) but using none of the same characters. It's not a bad piece, but it does seem a bit off at points, Scott's psychic abilities seem to
Douglas Owen
Sep 27, 2016 Douglas Owen rated it really liked it
This is a good follow-up on the first novel in the series. There is a relationship between the two and it has a good underlying feel to it. I am very happy with the editing and would suggest this for anyone looking to read a well-founded SciFi series (so far).
Annette
May 31, 2011 Annette rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, own
Meh.
Picked this up when I realized I wasn't patient enough to get into the latest Honor book. It's a quick read, and most of the stories are fairly well done.
Most revolve around or at least feature treecats, easily Weber's most imagination-grabbing invention.
Only one of the guest authors was (allowed? brave enough?) to touch Weber's characters: Jane Linkskold's story about Elizabeth Winton's first days as queen at least tied with Weber's tale of the first 'cat adoption of a princess as best
Michael
Mar 08, 2015 Michael rated it it was amazing
This book has five short stories set in the Honor Harrington universe. The first story, "The Stray", by Linda Evans, is a murder mystery set on Sphinx with a human doctor and a treecat working together to solve the crime. The second story is by Weber himself. It is titled "What Price Dreams" and is about the first adoption of a member of the Manticore Royal Family by a treecat. "Queen's Gambit", by Jane Linskold, is a more politically-driven story about the rise of Queen Elizabeth III to the thr ...more
John
Aug 03, 2016 John rated it really liked it
A Book of five short stories in the Honorverse.

1) "The Stray" by Linda Evans - Mildly interesting story about a treecat from the early days of Sphinx. Grade: B

2) "What Price Dreams" by David Weber - We find out how Elizabeth got her treecat. Grade: A-

3) "Queen's Gambit" by Jane Lindskold - How Honor's Queen Elizabeth came to power after her father's assasination. Well Done, I'll be looking for other stuff by this author. Grade: A

4) "The Hard Way Home" by David Weber - An Honor story from shortly
Erica Anderson
May 28, 2015 Erica Anderson rated it really liked it
Three and a half stars, rounded up to four.

Five novellas, all well-written, offering different views of Honor's worlds. Honor is not the main character in any of the stories, which just shows how rich and complex Weber's world building is. My favorite story was the first, "The Stray," by Linda Evans, which is a murder mystery with cats.

While I'm still not convinced that a six legged mammal is a life form evolution would produce, I'm willing to suspend belief to enjoy the stories in this collecti
i don't know so much that i would call it a mistake to read this book, but it was certainly ill-advised to read it during the first few weeks of a pregnancy. i had read parts of it before, but this was the first time i'd read the whole thing.

i'm giving it three and a half stars, merely because i didn't love all of the stories. what price dreams?,/i> is by far my favorite, and the descriptions from the treecats' points of view was really sweet. this was the one that made me weep like a child,
Kathi
Apr 14, 2012 Kathi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Short stories in the Honorverse...

I really like the stories featuring treecats--a great opportunity to learn more about them, their abilities, their society and culture, and their relationships with humans.

I also enjoyed the rather predictable story featuring Honor that takes place before On Basilisk Station.

The last story was confusing and rather pointless, I thought. I guess it told us a little about Erehwon.

I know I will look at the treecats and their interactions with humans differently, hav
Alex
"Worlds of Honor" is book 2 of the short story anthologies in the Honor Harrington Universe. I generally don't like anthologies, but I liked this one. It fills in a lot of missing information mentioned in the main story line novels. For example: Mention is made of Honor Harrington's efforts at search and rescue during a snow avalanche. That story is detailed here in "The Hard Way Home".

The book does contain some cursing. It is not a lot but the F-word is used on occasion. It probably could have
Bill
Oct 18, 2011 Bill rated it really liked it
Following the Honor Harrington stories in chronological order, these are back stories for On Basilisk Station, the first Honor Harrington novel.
Two stories which give more background on the treecat culture and their bonding with humans.
3. The Stray, by Linda Evans
4. What Price Dreams? by David Weber (Princess Elizabeth is adopted.)

6. Queen's Gambit by Jane Lindskold (Elizabeth becomes Queen after King Roger is assassinated.)
7. The Hard Way Home by David Weber (Young people struggle for survival
Colleen
Sep 22, 2012 Colleen rated it it was amazing
David Weber really knows what he's doing with this series now. The first book, More Than Honor, started off so promisingly with Stephanie Harrington, but then meandered off in other directions. This time Weber's got the pulse of the readership -- ALL TREE CATS, ALL THE TIME.

And it is awesome. And adorable.
Carl Bussema
Oct 01, 2012 Carl Bussema rated it liked it
Better than the last one. Contains more stories about Treecats, and a story of a younger, Lt. Cmdr. Harrington. The story at the end about the Peeps I skipped. Thus far these anthologies are completely filler and not needed for understanding the mainline story, and rarely feature any of the characters we know from the mainline stories, so it's just setting the background for the universe, which isn't bad, but sometimes you just want to read about your favorite characters!
M
Jul 30, 2011 M rated it really liked it
The second collection of Honorverse stories is vastly improved over the first, actually making Weber's Honor story the least favorite in this grouping. Linda Evans explores treecat/human relations with a murder mystery, Jane Lindskold tackles an adoption/assassination attempt on royalty, and Weber's one POV tale on treecats makes for a well-received anthology.
Deborah
May 14, 2016 Deborah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This installment was more entertaining, enjoyable than the first of the series. It contained more stories featuring characters and identifiable incidents from the Honor Harrington series. It provided interesting background information. I believe Honor Harrington fans will get a kick out of this book.
Vickey Foggin
Oct 24, 2014 Vickey Foggin rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, space-opera
Much better than the previous half-assed collection of background notes and chunks of detail that had been edited from the main books. I enjoyed all the stories in this book but the final one by Roland Green. I eventually gave up on that one. It was like reading white noise. I just couldn't stay focused on it.
David Johnston
Jan 26, 2013 David Johnston rated it liked it
My gosh, it is in fact possible to write short stories in the Manticore setting! As might be expected, how interesting this book is depends on which of the stories you happen to be reading at the moment, but tree pony fans will be delighted with two of the stories recounting early incidents in the development of the relationship between human and treecats.
Barry
Oct 06, 2007 Barry rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Maybe
This was a series of short stories written by authors other than the one who wrote the series on which they were based. This is always a warning sign that the stories are inferior, don't fit the rest of the series, or both. Fortunately, that didn't happen. Two of these stories were by Weber and the others met the same high standards.
Jacqueline

David Weber - The Hard Way Home - 4 stars

Roland J. Green - Deck Load Strike - 2.75 stars
Bob
Mar 16, 2015 Bob rated it liked it
Probably would have been better titled "World of Treecats," since all but one story were about them or featured them prominently. Decent short stories, not as good or entertaining as the Honor Harrington novels, but interesting as backstory nonetheless.
Cloak88
Apr 22, 2016 Cloak88 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, audiobook-2016
A solid collection of short stories in the HonorVerse.
If you're interested in the Honor Harrington series this might interest you.

*tip*
Check the reading order for the series to avoid spoilers.

Jeff Means
Oct 26, 2015 Jeff Means rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good read lots of military stuff to dig through but also the human squishy stuff that makes reading an honor Harrington book worth so much more.
Andrew
Aug 21, 2015 Andrew rated it liked it
Shelves: space-sci-fi
I really enjoyed 3 of the short stories in this book...I liked What Price Dreams the most but I loved young Susan.
Gerry Rachar
Apr 23, 2012 Gerry Rachar rated it it was amazing
This would be a good book to read before reading the Honor Herrington books, it will make the earlier books more interesting.
Nyssa
An enjoyable, though sometimes sad or bittersweet, collection of love, loss, strength, courage, warfare and tree-cats.
Mauri
Jul 05, 2007 Mauri rated it really liked it
The only bone I want to pick with this book is that the cover illustrator obviously did not read the story.
Beyond Reality: WORLDS of HONOR - Side Read **Marked Spoilers** 10 16 Apr 16, 2012 06:44AM
  • The Way to Glory (Lt. Leary, #4)
  • Training Daze (Kris Longknife, #3.5)
  • When the Devil Dances (Posleen War, #3)
  • Ring of Fire (Ring of Fire Anthology, #1)
  • Rules of Engagement (The Serrano Legacy, #5)
David Mark Weber is an American science fiction and fantasy author. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1952.

Many of his stories have military, particularly naval, themes, and fit into the military science fiction genre. He frequently places female leading characters in what have been traditionally male roles.

One of his most popular and enduring characters is Honor Harrington whose alliterated name
More about David Weber...

Worlds of Honor (6 books)
  • More Than Honor (Worlds of Honor, #1)
  • Changer of Worlds (Worlds of Honor, #3)
  • The Service of the Sword (Worlds of Honor, #4)
  • In Fire Forged (Worlds of Honor, #5)
  • Beginnings (Worlds of Honor, #6)