Start by marking “Hundred in the Hand: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Hundred in the Hand: A Novel

Hundred in the Hand: A Novel (Lakota Western)

Beautifully written and reminiscent of the oral tradition, Hundred in the Hand brings a new slant to the traditional Western: historical fiction written from the Native American viewpoint.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published August 2nd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Hundred in the Hand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hundred in the Hand

Tim
Nov 23, 2016 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wild-west
“Remember it is better to lay a warrior naked in death than to be wrapped up well with a heart of water inside.”

The author tells the story of what history calls The Fetterman Massacre, the first significant defeat of the US army at the hands of the Sioux and Cheyenne from three points of view. There’s Cloud, a friend of Crazy Horse and married to a white woman, Rabbit, an angry young warrior who loses his right arm after being shot by traders and Hornsby, a white settler. The author is a Lakota
Xarah
Nov 20, 2007 Xarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
This is the story about the Battle of the Hundred in the Hand/Fetterman Massacre in 1866 from the point of view of the Lakota.

One reason I picked this book up was the fact it was told from the point of view of an American Indian and written by an American Indian. I thought it would be an interesting, and different, aspect to the same old "westerns" that I've read. At first the book was kind of slow and I didn't really get into to it. But as the story continued, it kept my attention. Also noted,
Karen
Feb 14, 2017 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hundred in the Hand has been called a Western but it is not a cowboy Western. It is an Indian story through and through. The Battle of Hundred in the Hand otherwise known as the Fetterman Massacre of 1866 tells the story from the perspective of the Sioux. Specifically, the story is told by Cloud to his grandchildren many years after the fact. The story is somewhat compelling and kept my interest throughout.
Patrick Oden
Jun 04, 2008 Patrick Oden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Most people who are of the Earth live according to the truth that comes from the Earth," the old woman went on. "One truth is to take only what you need. It is a truth that was not always known, but we know it now. A nation of many people needs more land on which to hunt. We took this land because we were many and needed it. We took it from the Crow people. They fought us, but they understood that we are a nation of many more people. So they moved aside, not because they were afraid, but becaus ...more
Richard
Dec 08, 2012 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, fiction
"Hundred in the Hand" is a compelling story of the Fetterman Massacre of 1886, relaying events from the Indian perspective with insight and care. Unlike other books and novels that include Indian characters and protagonists, Joseph M. Marshall III does more than just present believable characters, he gives them intelligent voices. When the characters speak, their words are "translated" into a vocabulary that you would expect from intelligent men and women. Other authors in the past would have In ...more
Steven Howes
Sep 05, 2012 Steven Howes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author of this book, Joseph Marshall III, is a noted Lakota writer, teacher, and historian. This novel is his fictionalized account of an actual historical event, the Fetterman Fight or Fetterman Massacre, which occured near Fort Phil Kearny in NE Wyoming Territory on December 21, 1866, as told from the Indian point of view. The Indians refer to this battle as Hundred in the Hand.

The book begins in the Summer of 1920 with the return of John Richard Cloud (a Lakota participant in the battle)
Beth
Aug 15, 2012 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I grew up with the "white man" version of American history; several trips to South Dakota, however, and my time spent working with the Lakota people taught me how truly there are two sides to every story.

The Fetterman Massacre of 1866 is a victory by the joined forces of Lakota that probably never received more coverage than that in any history book. The "why" behind the massacre; the faces of the Lakota behind the massacre; and their lives, personalities, culture, and philosophy was something n
Tom
May 12, 2015 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A telling of the Fetterman Massacre from the Lakota side. While it was really refreshing to read a western tale from the Native American perspective, it was a little to simplistic and overly-sympathetic to rate a 5 star for me. The natives (the good guys) are portrayed as intelligent, brave, master tacticians with only their lack of firepower keeping them from expelling the whites from their land. The whites (the bad guys) are portrayed as bumbling, cowardly and greedy. To be fair, the author do ...more
Emelie
I found it really interesting to read this book, to get to experience the American history, happenings and the West through the Lakota Native American's perspective.

We get to follow Cloud, a Young Lakota warrior and his and his comrades experiences with the White Americans, or the Long Knives. We get to meet Young warriors, shamans and the well known Lakota warrior leader Crazy Horse.

I listened to this book and greatly appreciated that it was the authour himself Reading Cloud's parts of the boo
Paul Bennett
Aug 19, 2015 Paul Bennett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This engaging tale starts out with an elderly Lakota grandfather telling his children and grandson about the battle known as Fetterman's Massacre. That retelling sets the tone for this oral history-like story of the Lakota and their fears and reactions to the Long Knife forts along The Bozeman Trail in the mid 1860's. The lead up to the battle is told from the Lakota point of view and mainly centers on the warrior Cloud and his wife, Sweet Water Woman, though the author does a thorough job in hi ...more
Catherine Richmond
Hundred in the Hand is the name of the battle known to Euro-Americans as "The Fetterman Massacre." Author Joseph Marshall shows this battle from the point of view of the Lakota. Cloud joins with other warriors to evict the invading Long Knives. Sweetwater Woman was found wandering near the Oregon Trail when she was two years old. She was adopted by a Lakota couple and raised to be Lakota, but the proximity of the whites has her wondering about her biological roots. She and Cloud are expecting a ...more
Jessi
Summary: The story of Fetterman's Massacre is or 1866 as told through the eyes of Cloud, a dedicated warrior who fights alongside a young Crazy Horse, as well as the white soldiers who mistake Cloud's redheaded wife for a captive. -- JCPL Catalog

I am intrigued by this story - it is essentially a traditional western told from the point of view of the Native Americans. However, I gave up reading it pretty quickly. It is very much a manly book. I believe anyone who reads and enjoys westerns a la Lo
John
Aug 21, 2012 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Lakota/Sioux perspective novel telling of the Hundred in the Hand Massacre would leave you short of the richness of this tale. Based upon a major historical event, the author takes this opportunity to explore the progress of immigrants and the destruction of a way of life for the indigenous people. He also explores the consumption of humanity by war created through greed, ego and hunger. This novel covers a lot of ground while making you feel the winter snow through the buffalo skins of the te ...more
Neil Hanson
Nov 14, 2011 Neil Hanson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one started off slowly, and I wasn't sure if I'd get through it. However, it got better and better as I read it. By the time I was done, I was hoping a next book was out there. The story follows Lakota and white characters up to and through a battle. It's clearly told from the perspective of the Lakota for the most part, but seems to fairly represent different perspectives. It shows people all around as generally thoughtful, mindful, and respectful. While the story left me feeling good abou ...more
Brian Murphy
I love perspective stories, which is why I was intrigued to read this novel. Thus, while I appreciated the approach and concept of the novel, I found that I was not entirely satisfied with the actual novel. The pacing felt very slow and did not seem to pick up until the last third of the novel or so. The buildup to the final battle worked well, but I wish that it had not taken 200 pages to begin that buildup.
Lori
Nov 23, 2009 Lori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: native-american
This is the story which has been handed down for generations regarding the Lakota tribe and its people. I can see this book being taught in Junior high and older. I was really excited to find a novel based on the perspective of the Native Americans of this country who were here long before the Europeans came and took over. It would be easy to use this as a historical companion text and with a pre-lesson about some wars before starting this novel.
Joel
Sep 27, 2009 Joel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good look at the American invasion of the West. Written from the Lakota Sioux Indian viewpoint, you definitely find yourself rooting for them to beat the "are they human?" white men.

I get the feeling this was written more for teenagers than adults. But it is a bit simplistic for my tastes. The plot is very straightforward, the characterization not very deep.

But I do intend to pass it on to my grandson as I'm hoping he'll enjoy it. And if you like westerns, this is worth the read.
Steve Bomgaars
Jan 27, 2014 Steve Bomgaars rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joseph Marshall is a Native American scholar and writer who has written a novel of the 1866 Fetterman Massacre or as the Lakota call it the 100 in the Hand. Marshall writes the book from the Lakota perspective. The book is a fast read and one learns a great deal about the Lakota culture and their resistance to the movement of whites through their traditional homeland between the Black Hills and the Big Horn Mountains (the Shining Mountains to Lakota). Good book!
Abigail
Jan 08, 2011 Abigail rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book for anyone who enjoys the following genres of literature:
Westerns
War novels
Historical Fiction
Indian Literature
Mysteries
Suspense/Thrillers
Ethnic Studies.
It easily fits into any and all of those categories.

The prose is a limited in places, but the story clips along well-enough to make up for it.
Courtney
May 03, 2012 Courtney rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Western readers, Native American culture enthusiasts
Shelves: native-american
Interesting departure from typical Western fiction in that it's written by a Native American author and told almost exclusively from the Native American point of view. At times the story was a little slow, but overall it was still an enjoyable read. I would recommend to folks who enjoy a good shoot 'em up Western story, and those who are interested in Native American (especially Plains) culture.
Gerri Alexander
Sep 25, 2014 Gerri Alexander rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a lovely story! Usually you have a good idea at the beginning of a story that the good guy will win and end up with the girl. It's told from the Indian viewpoint, so your not quite sure how it will turn out!

This is an adult story, but would also be fine for older kids. (I wasn't sure things would get graphic, but they didn't).
Therese
Jan 31, 2008 Therese rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was young, I read only Indian stories. Wanted to be an Indian. I bought this book to take me back to a world that was simpler, direct, and sacred. The storytelling is all of the above. We still screw the Indians, though.
Carmen
Dec 02, 2014 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The settlement of the West told through the eyes of the Lakota. A side note is all the cultural perspectives you learn from reading this story. I laughed, cried and was thoughtful at different times. Quite a lot of emotions.
Vicky
May 25, 2010 Vicky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great story of historical events written from the side of the Indian Warrior. This could technically be considered a cross between a good old western and historical fiction. I give it a thumbs up. Reminded me a bit of Dancing with Wolves.
Lynn
Oct 24, 2012 Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"There were no survivors." So reads a monument at the site of the Fetterman Massacre. My favorite line said to Cloud during his wife's pregnancy, "women are strong or they could not be mothers and grandmothers."
carlos benjamin
Feb 13, 2012 carlos benjamin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed listening to this book. One narrator for the Sioux point of view and one for the white settlers' point of view. The book chronicles the invasion of Sioux territory by white settlers primarily from the viewpoint of the Sioux already occupying the land.
Kristy Engel
Jun 07, 2013 Kristy Engel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just beautiful. I actually listened to this as a recorded book. The author was also the reader and I think his voice in the reading pushed my opinion of this book from 4 to 5 stars. I am looking forward to the next book in the series.
Beth Johnston
Aug 07, 2014 Beth Johnston rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very engaging and insightful. History is usually written by the victors; this is a very well written book from the perspective of native Americans as their land was being taken away.
Karen Thompson
Just finished Hundred in the Hand by Joseph Marshall. It was an underwhelming glimpse into the life of the Sioux as Americans migrated to west. Kind of disappointing.
Barb
May 29, 2013 Barb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. I listened and it was had to get into the authors voice pattern and pauses in what seems like odd spots. In spite of that, it was very compelling and powerful.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Taint of Midas
  • The Captured: A True Story of Abduction by Indians on the Texas Frontier
  • The Wrath of Cochise: The Bascom Affair and the Origins of the Apache Wars
  • Seal of God
  • The Goldsmith's Daughter (Roger the Chapman, #10)
  • Saltypie: A Choctaw Journey from Darkness into Light
  • Love and Honor
  • The Elk-Dog Heritage (Spanish Bit Saga, #2)
  • A History of the Indians of the United States
Joseph M. Marshall III was born and raised on the Rosebud Sioux Reservation and holds a PhD from the reservation university, which he helped to establish. The award-winning author of ten books, including Hundred in the Hand, The Lakota Way, and The Journey of Crazy Horse, he has also contributed to various publications and written several screenplays. His first language is Lakota, he handcrafts pr ...more
More about Joseph M. Marshall III...

Lakota Western (2 books)
  • The Long Knives are Crying (Lakota Westerns)