The Castle in the Attic (The Castle in the Attic, #1)

The Castle in the Attic (The Castle in the Attic #1)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  10,268 ratings  ·  449 reviews
One of the classic fantastical adventures of all time!

Published November 1st 1994 by Yearling (first published September 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Castle in the Attic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Castle in the Attic

Amanda
So I took a trip back to my elementary/middle school years with this one. I've read it before in 5th grade, but reading it again, I think I would recommend it for even younger kids than that. It's a pretty good story, but the plot is paced a little strangely. The book is halfway over before they even go into the castle and on their adventure, which makes it seem to me like the adventure part moves much more quickly than it should. I would have liked less of William's whining and self-pity and mo...more
Jill
by Elizabeth Winthrop
Edition: Audio CD

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:
Great Fantasy, October 15, 2008

I enjoyed this book so much, I have listened to it twice.

William is ten-years-old when he finds out that his house-keeper/nanny is going to leave him. She says,"He is old enough to take care of himself now." William is afraid that with busy parents he will be left alone.
Before she parts for England, Mrs. Phillips gives William a very special gift. She...more
I remember reading this as a child, though I don't remember if it was for an assignment or on my own. It was certainly the type of book I enjoyed then. As an adult, I can see the elements that appealed to me as a child, but I can also see some of the things I wouldn't have considered as a child. For one thing, though the main character is a boy, this is not a book for most boys. William is a very sensitive boy, who plays gymnastics, and cries periodically. The story is mostly about the castle he...more
Krissy
Oct 09, 2007 Krissy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children
I read this in elementary school and adored it. Somebody else described it as being "magical," and for a kid I would agree. Castles and knights and fantasy kingdoms-- the stuff kids' dreams are made of. I read it again in college for an adolescent lit. class, and, of course, as an adult it didn't have the same appeal. But, hey, it wasn't written for adults in the first place, so big deal if my grown-up mind wasn't as hooked as the child of yesteryear. I still give it four stars, merely because t...more
Echo
Feb 18, 2008 Echo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: moms with boys or boys under 14
Shelves: read-with-kids
I just read this to my 2 boys (ages 6 & 4) for a bedtime read & I was a little surprised at how much they loved it. It's about a boy who has an adventure with a play castle & knight which come to life. It isn't a book you have to edit at all in the reading & it's captivating to any little boy who wishes he could be a hero. I can't even tell you how fast those turkeys got ready for bed while we were reading this, I hope I can find another one that captures their attention as much...more
Lars Guthrie
An enchanting yet odd little fantasy. William (definitely not Bill, or god forbid, Billy) is a sensitive and a bit of a loner. He has one other friend in his fifth grade class, and that connection derives from their shared social status. Outcasts.

William is dreamy, but also disciplined and driven as a gymnast. His parents are achievers and doers who have the best intentions, and very little time, for him.

The warmth in William's life comes from the English nanny his parents have hired, Mrs. Phi...more
Elizabeth McDonald
This is one of those books that is always sitting on library shelves but that I never read--I just was never drawn to it. After reading it now, that feeling is confirmed. Admittedly I probably would have enjoyed this book more if I were eight and had read the whole thing in an afternoon instead of being 27 and spending three days of commuting to get through it... but it just didn't sparkle in any way.

Part of this may have been the quite mediocre audiobook presentation. It was full-cast, but the...more
Jess
Oct 23, 2008 Jess rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Indian in the Cupboard fans, someone who feels racist recommending ndian in the Cupboard
Recommended to Jess by: fantasy "In the House" project
Shelves: z_08, fantasy, juniors
William receives a large medieval castle model and a knight figurine. While playing, the Silver Knight comes to life and puts William on the path to an Arthurian quest.

William is a little weepy and his attachment to Mrs. Phillips little long-winded (that's not the word but I can't think of one that fits and doesn't reflect something else.) Slow moving at the start but the quest part kicks it up.

I've heard it's enjoyed by elem. kids.

Obviously owes something to Indian in the Cupboard
Maggie Stiefvater
Aug 08, 2008 Maggie Stiefvater rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Indian in the Cupboard
Recommend this one for fans of THE INDIAN IN THE CUPBOARD.

***wondering why all my reviews are five stars? Because I'm only reviewing my favorite books -- not every book I read. Consider a novel's presence on my Goodreads bookshelf as a hearty endorsement. I can't believe I just said "hearty." It sounds like a stew.****
tipy (tommy)
I did not like this book. It was exiting in different spots. Even I enjoyed this book I will give it a two. I liked different spots. this is a ok book. And so " I SAY SO LONG BOOK".
PurplyCookie
Ten-year-old William is so distraught at the idea of his beloved housekeeper/nanny Mrs. Phillips returning to England that, with the aid of a magic token, he shrinks her into the size of the toy knight which inhabits a wooden castle that has been passed down in her family for generations. To undo his rash deed, William must be miniaturized himself and accompany the silver knight, Sir Simon, on a quest to overthrow Alastor, a wicked magician who long ago usurped the throne of what should have bee...more
Danica Midlil
I think this book is an excellent example of what adults think kids SHOULD like in books. All the Lessons are very heavy-handed and moralistic. The main character forever self-examines all his mistakes and regrets them earnestly. Everything this kid did was earnest! There was never a moment of silliness or sarcasm!
I do not buy that this kid is ten. No way! He comes across as years younger than ten. Perhaps a believable seven?
I think getting an intermediate grade boy to read this all the way th...more
Loki
Just like the last chapter book we finished, Loki was not so into this one. I think he prefers the stuff written for older crowds; when he gets the feeling it was written for "kids" he kind of poo-poos it. That didn't stop him from wanting to read this at every opportunity, however when it was over he said it was ok, rather than truly liking it.
For me it wasn't the best read, I prefer reading the kids books that are a little more advanced, where the language is creative and interesting. Also the...more
Emily
This was one of my favorite books as a child; I read it over and over.
William's nanny is going back to England because she believes he's old enough to take care of himself. Before she goes, she gives him a castle that has been in her family for generations. It comes with one Silver Knight, and when William touches him, he comes to life. In order to defeat the wizard who placed the spell on the knight, William must become small himself and journey to another land.
This book actually holds up well...more
Nevada Libert
this is a gooooood book, it is full of bravery and pashhion about. a boy who went on a adventure and used his heart for his weapon.
I loved this book as a child. I was enchanted by the idea of having a castle, in the attic no less, that came to life. What a wonderful way to experience chivalry -- travel back in time without being stuck there. I recently reread the book and was surprised by how much I didn't remember. The characters have a mission and are stuck in medieval times until the save whomever it is they are supposed to save. I still liked the book, but it lost much of its enchantment for me. Plus, there was no real...more
Dean Deters
William gets a wonderful castle with the castle comes a tiny knight made out of lead. His housekeeper gave him the castle, because she is leaving. But is she or will William stop her first? When the Knight comes alive will he live or die. What does William`s friend think about about this? Will William be able to save them or will Alastor take over?
I think the most important event is when William gets the castle because if he didn`t none of the other stuff could have happened.

I think at the be...more
Shivam Parikh
Mar 23, 2008 Shivam Parikh rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: A fourth or fifth grader
Recommended to Shivam by: A teacher at my school.
I like this book because of the magical powers used in it.William Gets a castle as a present from Mrs.phillips who is going back to england because she is home sick. In the castle there is a small knight named Sir Simon who has a token that can shrink someone to the size of your index finger. Since William does not want Mrs.Phillips to go, he shrinks her. The only way to get Mrs Phillips to real size is to go to defeat Alastor. William goes on a quest to get the other half of the medallion.
Jack
One of my favorites from childhood. I need to read it again, but I remember loving it. I was probably in the fourth or fifth grade and I had to read this for a book report. I remember being so caught up in the story about a boy who enters his toy castle to fight evil. Obviously the details escape me, but check it out it's great.
Annette
Mar 24, 2008 Annette rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: boys age 8-10
Recommended to Annette by: Aunt Marie
I'm giving this a high rating because I just got done reading this book with my 10 year old son and he loved it! It is a really good adventure book for kids, especially boys. As a parent, I liked it because it was enjoyable to see how the main character, ten year old, William grows and changes throughout the book.
becky
this book is really for any one who is in an adventerous mood. with this book being all about wizards and battle. William{the main character} finds this out when his housekeeper leaves him a present, a magical stone castle! you really need to read it to get the feel of medieval times.
Elesa Hagberg
I read this book when I was a kid and besides the fact that there is a castle in the attic, I didn't remember anything about it. What I did remember was the magic that I felt when I read it, and it was still magical this time when I read it to my boys. Good job, Book!
Cathy
Jul 21, 2014 Cathy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cathy by: Battle of the Books 2014-15 / CYR
William has just received the best present of his life—an old, real-looking stone and wooden model of a castle, with a drawbridge, a moat, and a fingerhigh knight to guard the gates. It’s the mysterious castle his housekeeper has told him about, and even though William is sad she’s leaving, now the castle is his! William can’t wait to play with the castle—he’s certain there’s something magical about it. And sure enough, when he picks up the tiny silver knight, it comes alive in his hand! Sir Sim...more
Elijah
Really liked it! About a boy who finds a tiny knight in a play castle! The knight comes alive and the boy and knight have wonderful adventures.
Brianna
The Castle in the Attic is a great book. this book is more for kids. It has great adventures and much more.
Melanie
Picked this up to read aloud to my kiddos. They all liked it. Matt is interested in the sequel.
Hilary
Cute! Also, nice to see a homey kids fantasy about a boy (an ATHLETIC boy, no less).
Whitaker
A really great book shows us how everything is great and worth to die for
JJ
Sep 24, 2007 JJ rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fantasy/medival fans
Shelves: fantasy, schoolbooks
an intersting book it was my first school book this year.
  • The Secret of the Indian (The Indian in the Cupboard, #3)
  • Jennifer Murdley's Toad (Magic Shop, #3)
  • Nighty-Nightmare (Bunnicula, #4)
  • The Plant That Ate Dirty Socks
  • The Boggart (The Boggart, #1)
  • The Enormous Egg
  • The Time Garden (Tales of Magic, #4)
  • The Wish Giver: Three Tales of Coven Tree
  • Afternoon of the Elves
  • The Search for Delicious
  • The Secret of Platform 13
  • The Marvelous Misadventures Of Sebastian
  • Ralph S. Mouse (Ralph S. Mouse, #3)
ELIZABETH WINTHROP is the author of over sixty works of fiction for all ages.

Her most recent picture book, MAIA AND THE MONSTER BABY, with illustrations by Amanda Haley was published by Holiday House. TWINS, a picture book for toddlers with illustrations by Jane Massey, will be released by Two Lions/Amazon in 2015.

Writing as Elizabeth Winthrop Alsop, she has just published an ebook memoir piece en...more
More about Elizabeth Winthrop...
The Battle for the Castle (The Castle in the Attic, #2) Counting on Grace Dumpy La Rue Vasilissa the Beautiful: A Russian Folktale Island Justice