Start by marking “How To Eat Fruit” as Want to Read:
How To Eat Fruit

How To Eat Fruit

2.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  27 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
When Jacob meets an unknown woman in a cafe, he begins a series of sensual encounters, the like of which he has never experienced before. During that summer, he learns many things but, when autumn comes, will he have learned enough to stay with her?
Published February 10th 2010 by Untreed Reads (first published January 29th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about How To Eat Fruit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How To Eat Fruit

Aredhel
I was looking for a story that would meet my three main requirements: it had to be a short story, a story written by Anne Brooke, but not an m/m one. So I turned to this book.
I must admit, I was really impressed, and liked this story even more than those m/m ones that are written by the same author and that I've already read.
The thing that I liked most was the trick of the whole story being a metaphor. The language, as usual, is great and the story, being a rather unusual one, is a very interest
Animeuver
Jun 15, 2011 Animeuver rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
This book showed that there is no need for complexities to bring out an intriguing, original story. The author used the changes of the fruits and physical appearance of the women to show the passing of the days and the season. The book suggests that there might be a change in the ending if Jacob had picked up his courage, probably the same one that brought him to the woman. The woman's background is brought to the readers, albeit the lack of her name. Her eccentricity and air of (in)difference m ...more
Kazza
Jul 01, 2013 Kazza rated it really liked it
Sometimes there is something about a year, a season, a someone, a situation or event in our lives that sticks with us, that we will always remember. Perhaps it is with fondness. Perhaps with a tinge of regret. Hopefully we learn something from it.

This very short story looks at a woman, a man, a season that changes into another and what that means. No names, no fuss, just a simple story about a period in time that different people will possibly place different interpretations on, based on their o
Fred Bubbers
Aug 09, 2013 Fred Bubbers rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
A beautifully written story. The economy of words belies the richness of the experience contained in this short piece. While providing a captivating read, Brooke still leaves enough open space for the reader to bring his or her own personal story to provide a truly intimate and wistful experience that remains long after you've finished reading it.
Feb 06, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing
A beautiful and haunting story that lingers in the mind. An exquisite read.
Alexis Villery
Dec 06, 2012 Alexis Villery rated it it was ok
This was least favorite of the 7 novellas I took up to read. I think 12 pages is just too short for a complete story. Maybe I would have liked it more if it was a writing assignment written by a student. There's good writing but no real story. It had the spice I was looking for though. There was a moral and it is good for some reflections. Perhaps it is best for a literary assignment but not great for a comfort read in the rain.
Yvette
Feb 27, 2011 Yvette rated it liked it
Part poetry, part prose. An interesting work to publish in the Smashwords format. I'd like to see more smaller works like this.
DL
Feb 10, 2011 DL rated it really liked it
Pretend that the Goblin Market grew up. Haunting and beautiful. But, oh, so short.
Lora
Audra
Feb 15, 2011 Audra added it
Um really.
Chele'
Chele' rated it it was ok
Jan 28, 2015
Len
Len marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Dawn W
Dawn W added it
May 04, 2014
Mrs. Kenyon
Mrs. Kenyon rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2013
Sabyul
Sabyul marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2013
Alyssia
Alyssia rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2013
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2012
John Heinrich
John Heinrich rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2015
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2012
Cindy Winder delong
Cindy Winder delong rated it did not like it
May 28, 2012
Sandie
Sandie marked it as to-read
May 21, 2012
Vivian
Vivian rated it it was ok
Dec 31, 2011
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2011
Rubi Jayne
Rubi Jayne rated it it was ok
Nov 03, 2011
Sanaz
Sanaz rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2011
Untreed Reads
Untreed Reads rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2011
Kevin
Kevin added it
Sep 25, 2011
Anne Brooke lives in Surrey, UK. She is a multi-published author in a variety of genres, including gay erotic romance, fantasy, comedy, thrillers, biblical fiction and the occasional chicklit novel. Her fiction has been shortlisted for the Harry Bowling Prize (for novels set in London) and the Royal Literary Fund Scheme.

When not writing, she spends time in the garden attempting to differentiate be
More about Anne Brooke...