Start by marking “Natural History” as Want to Read:
Natural History

Natural History

A landmark in reference publishing and overseen and authenticated by the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of Natural History, Natural History presents an unrivaled visual survey of Earth's natural history. Giving a clear overview of the classification of our natural world-over 6,000 species-Natural History looks at every kingdom of life, from bacteria, minerals, a ...more
Published October 4th 2010 by DK (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Natural History, please sign up.

Cheryl
Jan 30, 2017 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Even in this day of internet-(almost) everywhere, books like this are valuable. The page-by-page organization reveals so much about our world that bouncing around on the Web would not. Children and autodidacts (like me) can readily zoom in on the notes about the most interesting-looking samples, discover that there's not enough information there, and then go to the internet to learn more.

It definitely does not stand alone, however, as each entry is so very brief. Books like Actual Size are neces
Rebekah
Apr 20, 2011 Rebekah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals, 2011, non-fiction
A gorgeously photographed visual dictionary of living life on earth. I checked this out so my ESL student and I can go over some vocabulary and pronunciation. This would also make a great coffee table book.
Michelle
This is a BEAUTIFUL book, fascinating for kids and adults (especially once we flipped past a little evolution and global warming on the first few pages). A good Christmas gift for the whole family...
Kellie
I own thousands of books. My fiancée owns more than I do. This book has made me happier than any book I've ever owned. The only word I can think of to describe it is: it made me breathless. Ok, that is 4 words, but it IS amazing.

Had to add: BEST BOOK EVER!!!!!!!!!
Regina Hunter
Jun 02, 2013 Regina Hunter rated it it was amazing
Truly is an amazing book. Although I wish for a little more information - but I think otherwise this book would explode! It was a very nice and a thoughtful gift, from a very dear friend. I have read this book a couple times since my birthday and still skimming though it.
Thank you Kasia.
Simone
Mar 13, 2017 Simone rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, 2017march
It's like having a natural history museum in your home. Highly recommend!
Marie
Apr 18, 2013 Marie rated it it was amazing
Natural History: The Visual Guide to Everything on Earth presents "a unique record of the rich diversity of life on Earth." It displays over 5000 full colour entries from rocks and minerals to plants, animals and microscopic life forms. The book also highlights a number of individual specimens and species allowing the reader to get a closer look at their splendor.

This is such a fantastic book. It's large format allow for lots of gorgeous labelled photographs and tons of information on the vario
Joy Barnett
Name: Joy Barnett
Type: Almanac
Title: Natural History: The Ultimate visual Guide to Everything on Earth
Call Number: RF. 508. NAT
Description: The entries are first organized by category. For example, “Living Earth”, “Minerals, Rocks, and Fossils,” “Microscopic life,” “Plants,” “Fungi,” and “Animals.” The book begins with a general introduction to life on earth, then features the categories listed above. Each entry features a detailed entry, scientific terms, and color photographs.
Reviewed: Cann
Cass
Dec 30, 2014 Cass rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, books-i-own, 2012, 2013, 2014
If you have children or are looking for a truly awesome book to buy as a present for kids.. then get this. It is loaded with amazing pictures of plants, animals and rocks, with just enough writing that you can answer questions.

It is huge, I am always amazed when I see my 4 year old carrying it into the room... and she is always carrying it into the room. She fell in love with it when she was 2years old. She would turn the pages and look at the amazing pictures or she would play her favourite "wh
Tom
Aug 14, 2011 Tom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMY
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGOSH

This is the most amazing book in the world.

Why I chose to read it, well duh it says the Natural History book, they even have a whole page on Phylogenetic s. And if you own the book and look on
Freda Mans-Labianca
Dec 20, 2010 Freda Mans-Labianca rated it it was amazing
When I was a kid, my mom had a set of encyclopedia's I couldn't keep my hands off. This book instantly reminded me of that set, only if it came all in one book.
There is everything from the animal kingdom, plant life and even stones and crystals. All that is created seems to be featured in this book.
I will note, the publisher website states ages 18 and up, and I am glad for that, though I think younger teens would enjoy this book. I just found it to be very adult in terms, so small children will
Stuart
Feb 15, 2013 Stuart rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
One of those magical books that helps recapture a youth flicking through my Dad's field guides and looking through various encyclopaedias at all the wonderful and weird creatures that inhabit our planet. Every house should own a copy of this book, with it's wonderful pictures of everything on earth from single cell microscopic archaeas that live on hydrothermal vents in the depth of our oceans to the mighty elephants and the plants they live on. Just one complaint there's some large pictures of ...more
Martin Budd
Jan 30, 2014 Martin Budd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This astonishing and breathtaking book marks the pinnacle of natural history publishing. With the growth in multimedia technology this book is unlikely ever to be surpassed by another work of print alone. The rich deep natural colours of the photographs, the clear and concise prose make it an accessible book for all age groups from 7 years upwards. Many of the articles and pictures inspire further research and study, and the sheer pleasure of holding and browsing this book will make you want to ...more
Alex
Dec 11, 2013 Alex rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
The pictures are inspiring, and the descriptions are beautifully written giving you a very brief overview of so many species. As a biologist, I have very few bones to pick with this book. It is wonderfully written for its purpose and would be a lovely addition in any library. Great for those of all ages! It is a gorgeous coffee table book as well, one you can pick up for a brief daily download of knowledge.
Karlissa J.
Mar 21, 2016 Karlissa J. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: research enthusiasts
Shelves: research-aids
A constantly-referenced guide as I research animals - and I research animals often. Helpful features include quality photographs for each species, a diverse collection of species, inclusion of family name (along with the scientific name), and size and global range description for each entry. I find this book helpful in many circumstances, since it also includes rocks, fungi, and plants, and the animals featured are not only wild varieties but also some domestic breeds.
Rini
May 22, 2012 Rini rated it it was amazing
At first I was hesitant - It was $50, it was heavy and hard to carry, how would I ever explain it to my mother? But in the year that I've owned it, this book has sustained me through many sick days passed out on the couch and lazy days when TV sucks and times when I just needed to shut everything out and look at pictures of owls and flowers.
Lily
Jan 25, 2011 Lily rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with this book at Barnes and Noble and bought it in a moment of weakness. I hardly ever look at it, but it's a beautiful book with amazing photographs. It would be a great book to have in a waiting room.
Lusine
May 22, 2013 Lusine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book, for everyone! Wonders of nature are endless and this book gives you an amazing glimpse on their diversity. My table book, never tired of opening it over and over again! Recommend to all earthlings!:)
Angie
Mar 07, 2015 Angie rated it really liked it
I really liked the sections on mushrooms, lichens, and birds. Some pictures look poorly photo-shopped like someone took pictures of zoo animals and then thought "hey, it would look better if they were on a tree branch."
Andrea Norton
I read this cover to cover, as I usually do with books like this. The pictures are phenomenal and the information is just right. If you're into the natural history of the world, this is a must have for your book collection.
Andrea
May 10, 2014 Andrea rated it it was amazing
My review: Beautiful photography. Emphasizes the diversity of species and adaptations for specific environments.

Mc's review: Goddamn why is it every page I turn to is fucking gross? Just the worst animal. Weird insects, worms, squid, spiders and scorpions.
Cathy
Jun 30, 2014 Cathy rated it liked it
A fascinating book covering all aspects of life and also other planetary treasures such as rocks and minerals. Not a light tome it is over 600 pages and about 12" x 12". It is lavishly illustrated with hundreds of photographs.
Caroline
Feb 09, 2012 Caroline rated it really liked it
I love this book like I have said many times and I recommend to do what I do with this book, every time you are bored pick it up and read one hundred pages (or more). It's very fun, and I know from experience with other books, that reading it all at once is not a good idea.
Katharine
Oct 08, 2011 Katharine rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and huge resource. Totally worth the purchase price. Now that I tried it out at the library, it's going on the "must buy" list.
Jamie
Jun 19, 2012 Jamie rated it it was amazing
An amazing book! Took me over two years to read but I highly recommend it.
Michael
Nov 22, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing
Spectacular images. Comprehensive information. Wonderful notations and infographics! From minerals to whales, this edition has you covered!
Bree
Mar 23, 2014 Bree rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-science
Notes:
gorgeous photography on every page
this book is huge and heavy -- maybe 2" thick
only mild 'evolution' stuff in very beginning
Jessica
A-maz-ing. If I could get my arms wrapped around it, I would hug it, but it is too big. Heavy enough to be used as a weapon also. Just some info for you to keep around in your noggin.
Science Literacy
For all animal lovers this is a second to none guide to the world around you. It functions as a textbook, but is so well written and beautifully illustrated you'd never notice.
Emily
Sep 22, 2011 Emily rated it it was amazing
Beautiful! It is quite large, so it's definitely a coffe table book, but a beautiful one at that. A perfect companion to Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything.
Goodreads Librari...: Combine books 6 23 Feb 08, 2013 09:14AM
  • Animal: The Definitive Visual Guide to the World's Wildlife
  • History of Britain & Ireland
  • Ocean: The World's Last Wilderness Revealed
  • Fifty Animals that Changed the Course of History (Fifty Things That Changed the Course of History)
  • Weapon: A Visual History of Arms and Armor
  • Animalium
  • Myths  &  Legends: An Illustrated Guide to Their Origins and Meanings
  • Rainforest
  • Human (Dk Smithsonian Institution)
  • Fifty Plants That Changed the Course of History
  • Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America (Kaufman Field Guides)
  • The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Eastern North America
  • The Art of Blizzard Entertainment
  • The Crossley ID Guide: Eastern Birds
  • The Stars: A New Way to See Them
  • Art: A Brief History

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »