Floating Gold

Floating Gold (The Oliver Quintrell Series #1)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  20 ratings  ·  7 reviews
In March 1802, the Treaty of Amiens brings an uneasy peace to Europe. While the fighting ships of the Royal Navy languish in ordinary and sailors litter the alleys and alehouses of Portsmouth, frustrated officers barrage the Admiralty for a commission. From a beach on the Isle of Wight, Captain Oliver Quintrell observes a convoy of merchantmen preparing to set sail from St...more
Published June 30th 2010 by Robert Hale (first published May 31st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Floating Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Floating Gold

Rick Spilman
Margaret Muir’s new novel, Floating Gold, is a wonderful blend of classic Georgian naval fiction, a mystery/thriller and a grand treasure hunt.

Captain Oliver Quintrell is on the beach, both literally and figuratively. Recently released from Greenwich Hospital after recovering from injuries related to a “direct contact with a four pound cannon ball,” he finds himself without a commission in a world briefly at peace following the signing of the Treaty of Amiens in 1802. He is therefore pleased to...more
Linda
Margaret Muir really knows her British nautical history, and the premise of the story is very unique. She writes with authority about interesting characters; I am very much in awe and glad I discovered her.
Valeria Jane
I enjoy adventures at sea, and enjoy reading about this historical period (about 1803, during a pause in the Napoleonic wars).

It's a good read. The style is just a bit too elaborate for my taste - plenty of metaphors and similes. I preferred the writing when the author just moved the action on. However it was a good read, the kind of book that when you get half-way throught it, you find hard to put down.
Hal
"Floating Gold is a good read in the tradition of the Hornblower series. The difference being that it is placed in the early 1800's when the rest of Europe is at relative peace with Napoleon. The story is well formed and well written. Ms. Muir demonstrates a good knowledge of seafaring in that era and the events of the time. If you like Horatio, you'll like Oliver.
Stuart MacAllister
Hidden in this book, behind the over-writing, the repetitive prose, the spelling errors and poorly edited manuscript there is probably a decent story - however I couldn't find it. It is a shame because the author clearly has great knowledge of naval history.
Barry
During the peace of Amiens a senior post captain is sent on a secret mission with a crew and frigate. I couldn't enjoy the book because I couldn't warm to the main character.
Dalene
Dalene added it
Feb 18, 2014
Mallory Heart Reviews
Mallory Heart Reviews marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
debra markham
debra markham marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Buck
Buck marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2013
Lexi
Lexi marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2013
Linda McLaughlin
Linda McLaughlin marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2013
Hal
Hal added it
Aug 15, 2013
Teresa Park
Teresa Park marked it as to-read
Shirley
Shirley marked it as to-read
Gary Foss
Gary Foss marked it as to-read
cariedaway
cariedaway marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2013