Start by marking “The Littles Go Exploring” as Want to Read:
The Littles Go Exploring

The Littles Go Exploring (The Littles)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  438 ratings  ·  30 reviews
The Littles venture into the land beyond the Dark Woods, an area unknown to small people. Reissue to celebrate the Littles' 25th anniversary.

Years ago, Grandpa Little set off to explore and was never seen or heard from again. But now, Lucy and Tom think they can figure out the path he last took into the wilderness. The family pakcs up and heads upstream.
Published June 1st 1993 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Littles Go Exploring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Littles Go Exploring

Kristine Pratt
Is it just me or do all of these books end kind of abruptly?

This time the Littles are heading off on watery adventure, looking for the missing Grandpa Little. I find myself wanting to read more about the Brook Tinies. And the Tree Tinies. And the Ground Tinies. Does anyone else feel this way?
Sara
I picked this up from Barnes&Noble's used book annex on a whim and I'm glad I did. Then again, I liked the original book so I had a feeling I'd enjoy this one. I'm a sucker for a good adventure story and this one was really well-executed. The story of how Grandpa went missing, the letters, the notes, the secret room in the bricks, the journey and the resolution were all really satisfying. I know it's a kids' book, but it doesn't read like it's Just For Kids. It's...not exactly fantasy, but i ...more
HeavyReader
I don't know how I managed to get through my childhood without reading this book (I was a huge fan of the Littles), but I did. I read it for the first time as an adult in '09.

The edition I read is not any of the editions that Goodreads let me choose from. The edition I read has a 1978 copyright and an ISBN of 0590-440128.

Anyway, I enjoyed reading this book. The plot was exciting. Of course, there wasn't much character development, but did I mention that the plot was exciting?

My one big complaint
Tom Romig
Gentle story of a family adventure that I've been reading to my six-year-old grandson over the past several Monday nights, which he and his brother have spent with us. This children's classic has wonderful, whimsical illustrations.
Deepika Bhand
One of my childhood favorites!
Christin
Jan 24, 2008 Christin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those with young children who like reading
This seems like an odd book for me to read I know, but the reason that I am is because Brycen really likes all of "The Littles" books. They have some sort of illustration on nearly every page and are great books to read to a 3 or 4 year old. I really enjoy reading them because they are simple but fun.
Julie
The girls and I had fun reading this one together. The discovery of the Brook Tinies was particularly exciting. But we all agreed that the ending, while a happy one, came about rather abruptly and left some very important questions hanging. Like, how are the Littles going to get home?
Amanda Stacy
Good book for students that are just beginning to read chapter books. I would say this is an great book for 1st and 2nd graders. Could be used as self to text or text to world.
Twyla
the littles had set off on an adventure to find grampa little.They were on a very exiting adventure and scary.They were safely with grampa little in the end.Auryn 8yo
2bnallegory
A favorite childhood book of mine, it has wonderful pictures with the Little's and all their stuff made from things you would find around the house.
Lyn
I loved this book. When they were on the river, it was scary. They found Grandpa, so it ended well. I would recommend this book.
Amber Palmer
Kalle LOVED it. I think this is more the sort of book for kids to read to themselves rather than me to read to them
Jaemie
With owen.....Owen LOVED this book and wanted to read it all the time, not just during our "reading time". He's 5 1/2.
Malinda
The perfect book to read with my 3 year old as her first "chapter book". One of my favorite series as a kid!
Andd Becker
The tiny brother and sister discover a secret room. An expedition results in another discovery.
Charles
This is one of the best in the series. I love when they get out in the world exploring.
Katie
Dec 13, 2008 Katie added it
I loved these when I was in first grade; I would read them over and over.
Callie
its very cool but one thing i dont like about them is that they have tails
Shannon Rickert
the cutest i loved watching the cartoon when i was growing up.
Cori
The boys liked this book. H likes to build miniature things.
Livy
It's Awesome! I'm Reading it to my cousin, Natalie!
Lisa Splittgerber
The Littles go looking for Grandpa. Good kids' book.
The Smiths
Lydia requested another Littles read-a-loud.
Grant
I liked it when they found their Grandpa.
Ghufran Saud
I had so much fun reading this with my nephews .
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
This is a great, funny and exciting book. C.V.S.
Chloe
It was kinda boring.
Callista
(read earlier edition)
Judah
very exciting.
  • Invisible Stanley (Flat Stanley, #4)
  • The Case of the Marshmallow Monster (Jigsaw Jones, #11)
  • The Birthday Mystery (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #20)
  • Wild Whale Watch (The Magic School Chapter Book, #3)
  • The Mysterious Island (The Secrets of Droon, #3)
  • Nate the Great and the Snowy Trail
  • Wellspring of Magic
  • High Hopes for Addy
  • The Talent Show from the Black Lagoon
  • Molly Takes Flight (American Girls Short Stories)
  • The Chalk Box Kid (Stepping Stone Books)
  • Ghosts Don't Eat Potato Chips (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Secret Message
  • Harry Cat's Pet Puppy
  • Attack Of The Tyrannosaurus (Dinosaur Cove, #1)
The Littles The Littles Have A Wedding The Littles To The Rescue The Littles Go To School The Littles And The Trash Tinies