Start by marking “The Littles Go Exploring” as Want to Read:
The Littles Go Exploring

The Littles Go Exploring (The Littles #8)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  565 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
The Littles venture into the land beyond the Dark Woods, an area unknown to small people. Reissue to celebrate the Littles' 25th anniversary.

Years ago, Grandpa Little set off to explore and was never seen or heard from again. But now, Lucy and Tom think they can figure out the path he last took into the wilderness. The family pakcs up and heads upstream.
Published June 1st 1993 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Littles Go Exploring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Littles Go Exploring

Kayla
Jun 23, 2016 Kayla rated it liked it
Dean Deters
Summary-in the story the littles go exploring the whole reason why they are going exploring is to find there
grandpa because he has been missing for years. before they go to find there grandpa two kids from the little family get the letter but they had to get it from the fireplace then they found a hidden room.

setting-the littles live in the giants house they take food to survive. In the book it started in the summer time. the reason why the littles go exploring is because there grandpa.

characte
Kristine Hansen
Jul 16, 2012 Kristine Hansen rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, chapter-book
Is it just me or do all of these books end kind of abruptly?

This time the Littles are heading off on watery adventure, looking for the missing Grandpa Little. I find myself wanting to read more about the Brook Tinies. And the Tree Tinies. And the Ground Tinies. Does anyone else feel this way?
Sara
Jan 26, 2014 Sara rated it it was amazing
I picked this up from Barnes&Noble's used book annex on a whim and I'm glad I did. Then again, I liked the original book so I had a feeling I'd enjoy this one. I'm a sucker for a good adventure story and this one was really well-executed. The story of how Grandpa went missing, the letters, the notes, the secret room in the bricks, the journey and the resolution were all really satisfying. I know it's a kids' book, but it doesn't read like it's Just For Kids. It's...not exactly fantasy, but i ...more
Tara Frye
Jan 28, 2015 Tara Frye rated it it was amazing
The littles are such an adorable read. I mean they are little. I remember reading this story and the frog almost jumped on the littles. They almost died. It was a very adventurous read
HeavyReader
I don't know how I managed to get through my childhood without reading this book (I was a huge fan of the Littles), but I did. I read it for the first time as an adult in '09.

The edition I read is not any of the editions that Goodreads let me choose from. The edition I read has a 1978 copyright and an ISBN of 0590-440128.

Anyway, I enjoyed reading this book. The plot was exciting. Of course, there wasn't much character development, but did I mention that the plot was exciting?

My one big complaint
Caleb
Mar 12, 2015 Caleb rated it really liked it
I liked it. It's about how they go to find Grandpa Little.
Tom Romig
Nov 10, 2014 Tom Romig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gentle story of a family adventure that I've been reading to my six-year-old grandson over the past several Monday nights, which he and his brother have spent with us. This children's classic has wonderful, whimsical illustrations.
Deepika Bhand
Jul 29, 2014 Deepika Bhand rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my childhood favorites!
Christin
Jan 24, 2008 Christin rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those with young children who like reading
This seems like an odd book for me to read I know, but the reason that I am is because Brycen really likes all of "The Littles" books. They have some sort of illustration on nearly every page and are great books to read to a 3 or 4 year old. I really enjoy reading them because they are simple but fun.
Julie
Dec 17, 2012 Julie rated it liked it
The girls and I had fun reading this one together. The discovery of the Brook Tinies was particularly exciting. But we all agreed that the ending, while a happy one, came about rather abruptly and left some very important questions hanging. Like, how are the Littles going to get home?
Jenn Goldsmith
Dec 19, 2015 Jenn Goldsmith rated it it was ok
Meh. I read this to my daughter at bedtime, one chapter a night. She's 5 so she liked it. Me-not so much. There are better chapter books out there that appeal to both kids and adults-this is definitely not in that category.
Amanda Stacy
Apr 22, 2012 Amanda Stacy rated it really liked it
Shelves: ece-3601
Good book for students that are just beginning to read chapter books. I would say this is an great book for 1st and 2nd graders. Could be used as self to text or text to world.
Twyla
Feb 23, 2012 Twyla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: auryn-s-books
the littles had set off on an adventure to find grampa little.They were on a very exiting adventure and scary.They were safely with grampa little in the end.Auryn 8yo
2bnallegory
Aug 21, 2008 2bnallegory rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
A favorite childhood book of mine, it has wonderful pictures with the Little's and all their stuff made from things you would find around the house.
Lyn
Mar 27, 2013 Lyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gracie-s-books
I loved this book. When they were on the river, it was scary. They found Grandpa, so it ended well. I would recommend this book.
Amber Palmer
Aug 29, 2010 Amber Palmer rated it liked it
Kalle LOVED it. I think this is more the sort of book for kids to read to themselves rather than me to read to them
Malinda
Jul 05, 2011 Malinda rated it really liked it
The perfect book to read with my 3 year old as her first "chapter book". One of my favorite series as a kid!
Andd Becker
Oct 10, 2012 Andd Becker rated it really liked it
The tiny brother and sister discover a secret room. An expedition results in another discovery.
Charles
Aug 05, 2008 Charles rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This is one of the best in the series. I love when they get out in the world exploring.
Katie
Dec 13, 2008 Katie added it
I loved these when I was in first grade; I would read them over and over.
Callie
Jan 12, 2013 Callie rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
its very cool but one thing i dont like about them is that they have tails
Shannon Rickert
Feb 23, 2012 Shannon Rickert rated it it was amazing
the cutest i loved watching the cartoon when i was growing up.
Cori
May 14, 2012 Cori rated it liked it
The boys liked this book. H likes to build miniature things.
Livy
Jun 21, 2012 Livy rated it liked it
It's Awesome! I'm Reading it to my cousin, Natalie!
Lisa Splittgerber
Sep 08, 2011 Lisa Splittgerber rated it it was amazing
The Littles go looking for Grandpa. Good kids' book.
The Smiths
Lydia requested another Littles read-a-loud.
Grant
Dec 01, 2010 Grant rated it it was amazing
I liked it when they found their Grandpa.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
This is a great, funny and exciting book. C.V.S.
  • The Case of the Spooky Sleepover (Jigsaw Jones Mystery #4)
  • Nate the Great and the Snowy Trail
  • Invisible Stanley (Flat Stanley, #4)
  • Return of the Squirtle Squad (Pokemon Chapter Books #8)
  • The Mysterious Island (The Secrets of Droon, #3)
  • Food Chain Frenzy (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #17)
  • The Japanese Ninja Surprise (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures, #3)
  • Snowbound With Betsy
  • Jake Drake, Class Clown
  • Ghosts Don't Eat Potato Chips (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #5)
  • Jay: Ninja of Lightning (Ninjago Chapter Books, #4)
  • Tucker's Countryside
  • The Birthday Mystery (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #20)
  • The Little League Team from the Black Lagoon

The Littles (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Littles