Start by marking “A Heart Divided” as Want to Read:
A Heart Divided
Cherie Bennett

A Heart Divided

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Is the Confederate battle flag a racist symbol—or a proud reminder of Southern heritage?

When Kate’s liberal-minded family moves from the suburbs of New York City to a small town near Nashville, Kate is convinced her life is over. Redford lives up to Kate’s low expectations. The Confederate battle flag waves proudly in the sky, the local diner serves grits and sweet tea, a
Published (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about A Heart Divided, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Heart Divided

Rachel Lee
I picked up this book because I will be working on the play of the same title/topic this summer (by the same author). Because of the silly cover, I never would have picked this from the shelf. I found Kate to be a difficult character to like. I wanted to kick her during the New York/New Jersey opening chapter. However, I stuck with the story and I thought that Bennett did a fine job of incorporating different perspectives on the issue of the Confederate Flag and what it represents. She has creat ...more
Vivian Zavala
Have you ever have hard times with your family and school?This book is fariy tale realistic fiction.I was surprised when the author said about americathat people need FREEDOM, people need what they need 2 let the colored people be people.

The setting is that a girl had a mom no dad. The mom had a baby with her sister . And she is going to another school year. the major events is that the girl like some one and 4 weeks later a new boy came and she had a crush on him and she had to some thing.

Candice Snow
I decided to read this in honor of the recent debates over whether or not to remove the Confederate flag from public buildings.

In all honesty, I went in blind. I was raised in the North, so I’ll be the first to admit that I knew diddly-squat about the Confederate flag and how it is viewed by Southerners. I expected to be well educated on the topic by the end of this story, but sadly I closed this book with no more knowledge about the flag than when I first started reading.

There was no actual di
Ok. So I hated this book badly. It was THE worst book I have EVER read. All it did was BASH the south. Once I got to chapter 5 I TORE THE BOOK UP AND THREW IT IN MY GRANDMAS WOOD STOVE! I HATED IT. I DONT RECCOMEND ANYONE TO READ THIS WHAT SO EVER. Ok so some areas of the book that were completly and utterly false was that they said that the Confederate Flag was racist. Its really not. It is what people stand for just like french people stand for their flag southerners stand for this one and the ...more
Jessica Abarquez
Kristen Fort
Okay... So I finished it in one night, staying up way past my usual and I actually liked how it ended.

The beginning of the book is awfully written. What annoyed me: Kate and her mother's reaction to the Confederate flag (such a stereotype of Northerners... my parents were from New Jersey but had moved to Columbia, SC, a very Southern city, where the Confederate flag controversy was alive and well), the escalation of the high school romance (well, I guess some move on faster than others), and the
Sarah Dean
This book had an incredibly good concept, but often confused me at points, because it seemed a bit all over the place. I feel that Kate's relationship development with Jack was EXTREMELY rushed. I feel like I would have understood their relationship much more if there had been more build up to it. It was like "Oh, I've met this girl I shared one secret with, better leave my girlfriend of four years for her immediately." I understand that Sara was...very unpleasant, but that's still kind of a lar ...more
I loved this YA and so did my niece, who is a picky reader. It's about a cute, smart and sassy northern girl whose family relocates to the south. Romeo and Juliet style, she and the big man on campus football player (who is also cute, sensitive, funny, and the scion of the town's founders)fall in love and have slightly different attitudes on race relations. While not prejudiced, he is the creature of his culture and sparks fly when the girl becomes best friends with the african american girl who ...more
Alexandra Nieman
When I checked out the book at the library I thought it was going to be a girly, small town romance with the Civil War debate as a side story (Actually, when I checked it out I thought the title was "A THREAD Divided. Oops.), but I was wrong. True, there is romance, but the story strongly focuses on the issue regarding the flying of the Confederate flag. The story was well written and easily believable as the flag issue still exists in the south. I would easily recommend this forgotten gem of a ...more
This one was kind of hard to get into, but I have a personal interest in the subject matter, so I stuck with it. High-school aged wanna-be playwright moves from NJ to TN, and gets sucked into a school controversy over the Confederate flag. The first half of the book is a narrative, and the second half is a play. I actually liked the second half much better than the first, but thought the writing throughout needed some work. The authors told, rather than showed, much of the story.
Provoking and deep, this novel explores equality in small town Southern America today. Kate likes writing plays, and she likes equality. So why is writing a play about equality in Redford, TN, so hard?? Does the Confederate flag stand for racial injustice, or for Southern pride and heritage?? Most of all, does she belong in this new home, or not?? P.S. The play at the end that she finally writes/compiles is pretty awesome, and so is the conclusion of the story!!!
Laura Leonard
Apr 16, 2008 Laura Leonard rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who liked Slave Day.
Kate moves from New Jersey to a small southern town. She gets caught up in a debate over whether the school should continue to fly the Confederate flag. Kate struggles as an outsider, but eventually makes some friends and finds romance. Ultimately, she deals with the controversy by writing and staging a performance at the school. The place is included in the book. An especially good read for theater lovers.
I am still trying to figure this book out. I would say that it was a lame teenager book that was trying too hard, but there were some good themes. Character development was patchy and the book ends with a play that people can actually perform. It's hard to say that I actually liked this book, but I finished it, so that's got to say something...
I read this book in the eighth grade, and remember enjoying it a lot then, but I wonder if I'd still like it now. It does talk about why flying the Confederate flag is Not Okay (a concept a lot of people do not seem to understand in my state) so it gets props for that.
A NYC girl has to move to Tennessee with her family. Not only is her new lifestyle a rude awakening, but she is shocked by the racism she encounters as well as people's insistence that the Confederate flag be flown at school and in town. Also a nice romance.
Ashley M
I really like the general controversy that's very real in society today. Though I'm a huge fan of the south and this book really didn't support that side, it was overall a great book.
This book was extremely good! I recommend this to anyone that likes a awesome book!!!!!! If anyone is interested in reading this book they can come to me because I own the book!
I like how this book weaves in teen romance, the Confederate flag and theatre all together. The last section of the book, is the play version-nice concept.
YA book that deals with racial issues, familial issues, and coping in a modern day high school in Tennessee...pretty good (if not quick) read
Brittany Soncek
Different from any book that I have ever read. I almost cried at the end! Very good. Well told.
Ann Babcock
Good book from a family's move from NYC to the country.
Beautifully written novel of how love can unite us.
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
  • Beyond the Western Sea
  • The Judgement of Strangers (Roth, #2)
  • The True Meaning of Cleavage
  • Contents Under Pressure
  • China Court: The Hours of a Country House
  • Chanda's Wars (Chanda, #2)
  • Charlotte: Heart of Hope (Hearts and Dreams, #2)
  • The Shadow Guests
  • Breakheart Hill
  • Rabble in Arms
  • London Calling
  • The Stones of Mourning Creek
  • Dreadful Sorry
  • Like a Thorn
  • If I Should Die Before I Wake (Young Adult Fiction)
  • Upstream
  • The Ghosts of Now
  • Hello, America: A Refugee's Journey from Auschwitz to the New World
A popular novelist, playwright, and newspaper columnist, Cherie moves effortlessly from genre to genre, writing powerful and entertaining work, whether in literary hardcover teen fiction, mass market paperback fiction, for the stage, film and television, and for her nationally-syndicated teen advice column.
More about Cherie Bennett...