Start by marking “RUN: The Mind-Body Method of Running by Feel” as Want to Read:
RUN: The Mind-Body Method of Running by Feel

RUN: The Mind-Body Method of Running by Feel

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Most serious runners don’t realize their potential. They simply stop getting faster and don’t understand why. The reason is simple: most runners are unable to run by feel. The best elite runners have learned that the key to faster running is to hear what their bodies are telling them.

Drawing on new research on endurance sports, best-selling author Matt Fitzgerald explores...more
Published May 24th 2010 by Velo Press (first published May 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about RUN, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about RUN

Killer Rabbit
"It's all in me head." - Mr. Tweedy in Chicken Run
No 'normal' runner wants to admit that this your-brain-controls-your-running book might be right, and the system of their favorite coach might be wrong. That would be tantamount to telling your friends that you've visited a shrink, and learned useful life skills.

But what if the end result is that your running improves? I must confess that, over the past six months, I accidentally fell into the self analysis and feedback loop system described by...more
Tina
My favorite tips from Matt Fitzgerald's book Run: The Mind-Body Method of Running By Feel:

Focus on the good, like your great pace and how this is where you want to be, when running is hard.

The capacity to tolerate suffering is trainable.

After each key workout and race, ask yourself whether you held back at any point to spare yourself from suffering. If you did, vow to do better next time.

Consciously try to beat your recent times throughout the training process, and include plenty of repetiti...more
Sebastian
One of the best books on running I have ever read.

First of all let me start by getting something out of the way. If you are looking for a book that tells you to just go out and run at whatever pace you feel like without pushing yourself and that you will be a superstar doing that, this is not it. Actually, any book that would claim that to be the recipe for success would be worthless.

What this book does do is give you insights as to how to listen to your body and use that when determining adjust...more
David
It's rare that a running guide does not contain any training schedules for the 5k, 10k, marathon, etc. Rarer still is a running guide that makes reference along the way to Kierkegaard, Sartre, and Spinoza. But both of these are characteristics of this book by Matt Fitzgerald, who also wrote BRAIN TRAINING FOR RUNNERS among other books.

RUN is in some ways a continuation of BRAIN TRAINING, though to some extent it's a repudiation of the earlier book. BRAIN TRAINING, whose premise is "running start...more
Jeremy
One of the better running books out there. It's more concerned with the nuts and bolts of what makes training effective than it is with spoon-feeding you an approach that's guaranteed to work, and that makes it a lot more interesting than most stuff I've read on the topic.
Jennefer
This was a great book with good information as to how to go about running by feel. The subject is covered in a very thoughtful and persuasive way. The book feels grounded and not to 'touchy feely'. Not only are the authors personal experiences used to illustrate his points but he also uses scientific data to back them up. I would highly recommend this to all runners of all experience levels.

For a more detailed review check out my blog Running and Other Things
Shira
I am loving this book. Fitzgerald writes about running with so much humility and grace. I read a chapter and feel an urge to run. It's wonderful!

EXCELLENT!

Attention, Crossfit, devotees, there is a section in here for you!
Debbie Morrison
The book, "Run: The Mind Body Method of Running by Feel" provides experienced athletes with a thoughtful, unique approach to training for endurance events with a method that combines recent scientific studies on athletic performance, proven training principles and `gut feel'. Though the book focuses on running, the concepts are applicable to endurance events in general. Author Matt Fitzgerald is not new to coaching; he is a professional coach, experienced endurance athlete and author of several...more
David
interesting treatise on his advocacy of more intuitive approach to training, as opposed to following pre-scheduled workout plans. Applies this concept to a number of areas - what workouts to do on what days, trying to perfect your stride by focusing on "running beautifully" rather than doing form drills, working with and learning from your anxiety or anger rather than trying to use techniques to quell them, etc. etc.

He never uses the term "central governor" for some reason, but point of departur...more
John
Oct 03, 2014 John rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
I still had a few pages to go actually but the book was so good I had to give it to an athlete I coach because I kept thinking of her the whole way through. This book backs up what most good coaches and runners know: you have to listen to your body, but you also have to work hard. Knowing how to work hard but smart (not hammering on easy days for example) is a big challenge for runners. It is far to easy to fall prey to the numbers. I summarize this in my own little credo, with apologies to Mich...more
Margaret
You always have to be cautious of "experts" who tell you that every book they've written prior to the one you're reading now is wrong and that they've changed their minds and believe now that "this"...THIS is the way to go about doing things now. That's how I first felt about Matt Fitzgerald's book, and I approached the material cautiously, keeping an open mind about the information provided.

It's a good book, there's a lot of stuff in there that's pretty inherent (like, if you're tired, don't ru...more
Geoff P Brierley
Currently reading thorugh this book, and I've found myself questioning some elements before making my mind up on them. With hindsight this can only be a good thing and in fact the book has so far been a most useful one to read, giving me pages of notes to consider whilst I put my own training plan together for next year.

Run is not a simple book, it covers a large range of material and requires attention to its considerable range of topics. This is only for the best however, given the quantity o...more
Annabelle Winters
I'd recommend this book to anyone who has completed at least two marathon (or half marathon) training cycles and who wants to improve. For me, this book was an extended exercise in validation as it basically supported how I train. As with most of his work Fitzgerald makes a lot of the science (and non-science) behind accepted (and criticized) training practices accessible to the reader. I'm not sure the last chapter which summarizes the book was needed, it's basically cliff's notes of the preced...more
Starfire
Nope, sorry, Mr Fitzgerald, but your book was not what I was looking for at this time. Maybe I'm currently overread on running books; maybe with all the reading I'm having to do at work, I just need something a little less dense and demanding (maybe it's that now that I'm researching an eBook, my non-fiction reading pile is filling up too quickly with other stuff I actually NEED to read)

Whatever the story, I'm afraid this one simply didn't draw me in. C'est la via, and on to the next
ElroyStrongjaws
I think this book is more for type A folks who don't know how to chill and listen to their bodies. Do yoga, relax, and turn off the heart monitor! I'm not the target audience, for sure, but I like his writing and I learned a lot about the psychology of runners. And I loved the quote from the African record breaking marathoner who said at the finish line, "I could have run faster!"
Peter Quist
This just didn't do anything for me. Found it very repetitive and in general not interesting. Too much elevated common sense. Gave up on it. Running by feel is elementary to me. Running is a body-moving action and attentiveness is key to development and enjoyment. Forget music, monitors, watches etc and just enjoy the run. "If you run on and with the earth, you can run forever".
Sam
One of the better running books I've read. It's not about plans and training so much as the mental side and improving performance by listening to your body. Much better than Fitzgerald's earlier book "Mental Training..." which was a bit ca-ca-cuckoo in places.
Ethan
Jan 25, 2011 Ethan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Fitzgerald knows how to make training books fun to read. While this wasn't as good as Racing Weight, it still offered valuable advice propelled by runners' vignettes about how listening to their bodies makes them faster.
Rob
Great stuff for any runners who would consider themselves at least intermediate level runners. The 'agile' method of structuring your training works if you are able to let yourself go with it.
Dave Franz
The author makes a strong convincing case that the best training method is to run by feel. Trust your body to tell you what to do. And I agree.
Rajib Singh
fantastic book about new developments in running - great way to get into the recent research and highly motivating for beginning runners.
Molly
Helped me drop my pace! Geared toward a more intense runner than this girl, but great research and professional sources.
Casie
More information than a novice runner like me can utilize. But what I did glean from this was very useful.
Jeff
Interesting thoughts on running by feel instead of following a strict schedule. Worth considering.
Gregory
Good book about intuitive running. Get's a little dense at times.
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Bridget
Bridget marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Audrey Zhang
Audrey Zhang is currently reading it
Oct 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Running & Being: The Total Experience
  • Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes
  • Lore of Running
  • Natural Running: The Simple Path to Stronger, Healthier Running
  • Daniels' Running Formula
  • Zen and the Art of Running: The Path to Making Peace with Your Pace
  • The Runner's Guide to the Meaning of Life: What 35 Years of Running Have Taught Me About Winning, Losing, Happiness, Humility, and the Human Heart
  • Running Through the Wall: Personal Encounters with the Ultramarathon
  • Anatomy for Runners: Unlocking Your Athletic Potential for Health, Speed, and Injury Prevention
  • Running with the Buffaloes: A Season Inside with Mark Wetmore, Adam Goucher, and the University of Colorado Men's Cross-Country Team
  • Advanced Marathoning
  • Why We Run: A Natural History
  • Going Long: Legends, Oddballs, Comebacks & Adventures
  • The Perfect Mile: Three Athletes, One Goal, and Less Than Four Minutes to Achieve It
  • The Triathlete's Training Bible
  • To Be a Runner: How Racing Up Mountains, Running with the Bulls, or Just Taking On a 5-K Makes You a Better Person (and the World a Better Place)
  • The Ghost Runner: The Tragedy of the Man They Couldn't Stop
  • Marathon Woman: Running the Race to Revolutionize Women's Sports
Racing Weight: How to Get Lean for Peak Performance Iron War: Dave Scott, Mark Allen, & the Greatest Race Ever Run Brain Training For Runners: A Revolutionary New Training System to Improve Endurance, Speed, Health, and Results The New Rules of Marathon and Half-Marathon Nutrition: A Cutting-Edge Plan to Fuel Your Body Beyond "the Wall" Runner's World Performance Nutrition for Runners: How to Fuel Your Body for Stronger Workouts, Faster Recovery, and Your Best Race Times Ever

“Confidence is not some nonphysical quality snatched from the spiritual dimension and installed in the mind. It is the feeling that arises when the body's knowledge of itself is in harmony with a person's dreams.” 1 likes
“You don't become a runner by winning a morning workout. The only true way is to marshal the ferocity of your ambition over the course of many day, weeks, months, and (if you could finally come to accept it) years. The Trial of Miles; Miles of Trials.” 0 likes