Start by marking “Need A House? Call Ms. Mouse” as Want to Read:
Need A House? Call Ms. Mouse

Need A House? Call Ms. Mouse

Henrietta Mouse designs houses to fit the special needs of her animal friends.
Published August 1st 1981 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Need A House? Call Ms. Mouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Need A House? Call Ms. Mouse

Heather
Nov 20, 2016 Heather rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! It was one of my favorites as a child and now that I have a son, I can't wait to share it with him. I have a copy and was hoping to get another one. I started looking for a copy and man they are expensive. Anyone out there have connections to the publisher? It needs to be reprinted so a new generation can enjoy it. The artwork is phenomenal! It is great for animal lovers, designers and architecture buffs. Writing this brings back memories of sitting for hours pouring over e ...more
Minnie
Aug 25, 2012 Minnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i bought this book many years ago for my children and the other day my daughter told me how much she really liked Mirabella mouse because she was an independent girl mouse who earned her own money, was creative and knew her own mind. I loved reading this book with my children, not only for the charming story of the architect mouse but also because it is beautifully illustrated by Doris Smith.
LauraW
Jun 03, 2013 LauraW rated it it was amazing
I would love to use this book as an impromptu lesson, should I need one as a substitute teacher. It would make a good starter for a writing/drawing lesson. The book has the anthropomorphic Ms. Mouse design human-like houses for various animals, from insects to bears. Having lived for a few years in Alaska, my immediate thought was to have kids design a house for a moose. To accommodate the antlers, the doors could be mushroom shaped, the bed could have a trough at the top, so the dad moose could ...more
Cara Byrne
Oct 05, 2013 Cara Byrne rated it it was amazing
This is an adorable picture book following designer/decorator/architect Henrietta (or Ms. Mouse) as she designs and builds elaborate homes for her forrest friends. There isn't much of a narrative, as the focus is on detailed illustrations of each animal's home. It's too bad that this book is out of print and used copies are currently going for a couple hundred dollars (new will cost you over a thousand dollars!). I'm glad we could borrow a copy at our local library, as Pat and I plan on sharing ...more
Becky Martin
Apr 10, 2013 Becky Martin rated it liked it
Henrietta is a home decorator who helps her fellow animal friends decorate their ideal homes. With the help of her assistants, Henrietta creates these beautiful detailed homes to match the personality of its owner. The images in this book are so detailed. Every house Henrietta builds is shown in a two page spread using watercolors. The houses are so detailed that a reader can see knickknacks on the shelf and all of the actions of the characters. This would be a great book to inspire young reader ...more
Jun 19, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, 20th-century
This is a wonderful book that I discovered as an adult. Unfortunately, I didn't snatch it up then and there, and mourned that for years. My friends just gave me the book (the very same book) under another title, House by Mouse.

Given the cleverness of the illustrations, the wonderful fit between architectural design and animal, this is a book that adults will love as well as children.
Lynn
Dec 09, 2008 Lynn rated it really liked it
This book was a favorite of my sons and my grandsons are just the right age for it. Ms. Mouse designs beautiful homes for each of the forest's inhabitants and each full-page spread is full of intricate detail. The boys love the houses for spider, worm and lizard but my preference is fox's house. All those comfy reading chairs and and a great kitchen too!
Afraser
Apr 26, 2016 Afraser rated it it was amazing
Loved this book when I was a kid. I borrowed it repeatedly from the library. Loved the detailed pictures. And loved that the mastermind behind them was a professional woman. Great message for a young girl interested in design.
Aug 19, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood-reads
Everything I know and like about architecture I owe to this book about a rodent Frank Lloyd Wright and her various clients. To this day, my sisters and I will spot a nice vacation home nestled on the side of a mountain and remark on how it looks like a Ms. Mouse house.
Brie
Aug 14, 2007 Brie rated it it was amazing
Best childhood book ever with great illustrations! It gave me a love for unusual arcitecture and landscape at an early age, plus it helped foster that whole imagination thing. It needs to be reprinted so more people can enjoy it.
Jessica Lowery
Jun 28, 2013 Jessica Lowery rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Henrietta Mouse is a home designer with unconventional ideas about how to make the perfect house for her forest animal friends. This book invites children to imagine what a perfect home is and think about the needs of others creatively.
Kate
Jan 19, 2016 Kate rated it it was amazing
I loved this book as a child. The story always fascinated me and I found the drawings beautiful and magical. So many of these houses seemed wonderful to live in and perfectly thought out for their respective owners.
Heidikris
Oct 05, 2010 Heidikris rated it it was amazing
My ALL TIME FAVORITE book as a child. I've lost it since and now it is $175-$300 for a used copy. If only the publisher would re-print it!! Or maybe I can get a sugar daddy to buy it for me.....a girl can always dream ;)
Julie
Oct 10, 2013 Julie rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic. Go find it! Thankful that Julia Turner (Slate's Cultural Gabfest) recommended it.
Kathryn
May 17, 2012 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
The artistry in this book is intricate and colorful. A fun story of Ms Mouse who designs homes for all the critters of the forest.
Jamie
Oct 22, 2008 Jamie rated it it was amazing
One of the best children's books! The imagination behind the concept and the illustrations is amazing!
Leslie Ann
Oct 26, 2015 Leslie Ann rated it it was amazing
I learned about this lovely book through Brain Pickings. I wish the book were back in print so I could give it away.
Mckinley
Sep 08, 2016 Mckinley rated it it was amazing
Exactly the kind of book I would have loved to look at for hours and hours as a child. Discovered it just a bit too late. Still lots of fun examining all the different houses.
Julia
Jul 29, 2008 Julia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
oh sweet goodness this is/was one of my favorite books ever! I've been trying to track it down for years, and here she is, Henrietta Mouse. Now I'm giddy with mouse architect happiness!!
Magdel
Magdel rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2015
Emily Lair
Emily Lair rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2015
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2008
Anastasia
Nov 30, 2013 Anastasia rated it it was amazing
Another favorite. My siblings and I still remember which animals' homes were our favorites.
Paige
Paige rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2007
Adria Schoen
Adria Schoen rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2010
Emily
May 17, 2007 Emily rated it it was amazing
OMG! I love this book. Ha ha hahaha!
Kim
Kim rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2009
Grace
Grace rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2007
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2008
Stephanie Miller
Stephanie Miller rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Autumn Story
  • And If the Moon Could Talk
  • The Whingdingdilly
  • A Dark, Dark Tale (Red Fox Picture Books)
  • Peter Spier's Rain