Start by marking “Preaching the Cross” as Want to Read:
Preaching the Cross

Preaching the Cross

Proclaiming the gospel is without a doubt the most important task of pastoral ministry, yet often other, seemingly more urgent activities obscure it. From time to time all pastors and preachers need to be reminded of the primacy of the gospel.

Preaching the Cross does just this. It is a call to expository, gospel-centered preaching as the center of pastoral ministry. This v
Published April 1st 2007 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about Preaching the Cross, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Preaching the Cross

Jeremy
Sep 15, 2009 Jeremy rated it liked it
Shelves: ministers
One of the dangers inherent in any book that has a narrow focus (which is generally an excellent principle in book-writing) is that the strength of emphasis on your thesis opens the door for the reader to become unbalanced in their perspective.

In the case of Preaching the Cross, each of the contributors hammers at a unique angle of a singular premise: the most important element of being a pastor and the only reason the Church exists is to preach the Word, and more specifically the Cross.

While I
Wesley
Dec 17, 2016 Wesley rated it liked it
The book is good. It was nice learning a little of the background behind Mahaney, Dever, Duncan and Mohler's friendship and T4G. In terms of the essays, some stand out more than others (I have Mohler's, Mahaney's, MacArthur's and Duncan's particularly in view here) but I have read much finer books on the topics. But each essay is a good intro to a better work (i have in mind here Sproul's essay on Justification by Faith and his many works in the topic). All in all I would say read the book if yo ...more
David
Jan 31, 2014 David rated it really liked it
This book is edited and chapters are authored by the four men who gave birth to "Together for the Gospel" fellowship. I found all the authors to be conservative in their biblical stance and very good in their individual discussions. This would be an excellent book for any who might wonder why biblical preaching matters and why the cross of Christ must be proclaimed.
Aaron
Jun 27, 2012 Aaron rated it really liked it

This great collection of essays by various preachers serves to remind the minister of the impotance of the task of preaching, but also the centrality of the cross in the message of the pulpit.
Rock Rockwell
Oct 07, 2007 Rock Rockwell rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Pastors
Shelves: homiletics
An all-star line-up of Christian leaders/authors today write a chapter each on how to keep Christ-centric in the pulpit, life, and followers. A great read to inspire Pastors in preaching and living the gospel with power.
Dennis Thurman
May 23, 2015 Dennis Thurman rated it really liked it
Valuable not only in its emphasis on the centrality of the cross in preaching, but in its model of such preaching! This collection of sermons is a needful reminder in days of therapeutic moralism found in far too many evangelical pulpits that the Gospel demands expounding still.
Zach Williams
Aug 01, 2016 Zach Williams rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent resource for all those who are called to pastoral ministry, put together by some of the most faithful Biblical preachers of our day. This book is simply a call for pastors to preach the Word above all else; something that is desperately needed in our time.
Jon Anderson
Jun 04, 2014 Jon Anderson rated it liked it
Shelves: preaching
Solid stuff from 2006 Together for the Gospel conference. Of particular note are chapters by Piper and MacArthur
Stephen Willcox
Feb 26, 2013 Stephen Willcox rated it liked it
This book is the transcipt of sermons given at the T4G conference. But there is no need to purchase the book when you can download the sermons and listen to them for free on-line.
Dustin
All will benefit from this book but should be required reading by every pastor and by every man going into ministry once a year.
Eric
Nov 14, 2008 Eric added it
I listened to the sermons and they gave me the Book at the last T4G. Piper's is the best of 2006 and RC was the best in 2008.
Seth Channell
Sep 29, 2012 Seth Channell rated it liked it
Great material but the book is basically sermons turned into a book. Your time would be better spent listening to the messages online.
J. Rutherford
Feb 02, 2013 J. Rutherford rated it it was amazing
A strong and clear call for Christ centred expository preaching, great read!
David
Jul 04, 2012 David rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-cross
An inspirational little book that cuts to the heart of the purpose of Preaching.
Prayson Daniel
Jul 13, 2012 Prayson Daniel rated it it was amazing
Could not put it down till I finished. I would recommend it to all Cross-centred pastors, students and seakers
Todd Coe
Feb 19, 2012 Todd Coe rated it really liked it
Very informative about what we are called to do
Alan
Alan rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2012
Daniel Vojta
Daniel Vojta rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2008
Guy Boily
Guy Boily rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2016
Wyatt Sosey
Wyatt Sosey rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2014
Greg Beauchamp
Greg Beauchamp rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2015
Aaron Peiffer
Aaron Peiffer rated it it was ok
Nov 27, 2012
Tyler
Tyler rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2009
Zeb Goen
Zeb Goen rated it liked it
May 21, 2012
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2008
Philip Tallman
Philip Tallman rated it liked it
May 09, 2016
Steve Weaver
Steve Weaver rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2013
Kurt Mcconnell
Kurt Mcconnell rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2012
KC McCauley
KC McCauley rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2009
Kieran Carr
Kieran Carr rated it liked it
May 03, 2012
  • Preaching: How to Preach Biblically
  • Preaching for God's Glory
  • Reverberation: How God's Word Brings Light, Freedom, and Action to His People
  • How the Gospel Brings Us All the Way Home
  • What is the Mission of the Church?: Making sense of social justice, Shalom and the Great Commission
  • The Cross and Christian Ministry: Leadership Lessons from 1 Corinthians
  • Spurgeon's Sermons Vol. 1-10 (5 double volumes)
  • The Truth of the Cross
  • Believer's Baptism: Sign of the New Covenant in Christ
  • The Gospel for Muslims: An Encouragement to Share Christ with Confidence
  • The Courage to Be Protestant: Truth-lovers, Marketers, and Emergents in the Postmodern World
Mark Dever serves as the senior pastor of Capitol Hill Baptist Church in Washington, DC. Since his ordination to the ministry in 1985, Dr. Dever has served on the pastoral staffs of four churches, the second being a church he planted in Massachusetts. Prior to moving to Washington in 1994, Dr. Dever taught for the faculty of Divinity at Cambridge University while serving two years as an associate ...more
More about Mark Dever...

“When the glory of God is the treasure of our lives, we will not lay up treasures on earth, but spend them for the spread of his glory. We will not covet, but overflow with liberality. We will not crave the praise of men, but forget ourselves in praising God. We will not be mastered by sinful, sensual pleasures, but sever their root by the power of a superior promise. We will not will nurse a wounded ego or cherish a grudge or nurture a vengeful spirit, but will hand over our cause to God and bless those who hate us. Every sin flows from the failure to treasure the glory of God above all things.” 3 likes