Star Mother's Youngest Child

Star Mother's Youngest Child

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Once upon a Christmas, there was an old woman who lived in a hut at the edge of the forest, with only her old dog, Uproar, to keep her company. The old woman had only one wish: to celebrate a real Christmas, with a tree and presents and candles and food. Just once.

High up in the heavens, Star Mother’s youngest child makes a wish, too. “Mother!” he wails, “just once I want...more
Published September 26th 2005 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1975)

jennifer
Jan 11, 2009 jennifer rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who need a reminder
Recommended to jennifer by: cyd brimhall
illustrative message about the purpose of the season itself seen through the actions of two misfits who make christmas bright. good reminder to all of us who "over do" christmas and forget the beauty of simple gifts! may we all realize we have "enough".
Margaret
My mother used to read this book to us every Christmas. It is a sweet story about acceptance, appearances, and what it means to celebrate a holiday. It has lovely black-and-white drawings that I remember pouring over every year while my mother read it aloud.

Any time one of us has rumpled or spiky hair, my brothers and I say, "you look like star mother's youngest child!"
Jana
The pictures are not among the best looking, on the other hand characters are no beauties either. Nevertheless very charming story about one Christmas in one hut of an old women, which reminded me so much of my own grandma in a way she lived...no shower, toilet outside house, water in a pump.
Teri
This was the 30th Anniversary Edition. It is a very small paperback. Would like a hardcover, nicer edition. Sweet, charming little story. Would be a good discussion book.
Linda
This is one of our favorite stories to read at Christmas, magical and surprising. It's time to count our blessings!
Kelda
Magical and wonderful!
Lara
A darling Christmas story.
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2013
Kayli
Kayli marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2013
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2013
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2013
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2013
Bunnyjadwiga
Bunnyjadwiga marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Save Queen of Sheba A Horse for X. Y. Z.. The Forty-Third War The Girl Who Lived on the Ferris Wheel Journey to the Treasure