Start by marking “Star Mother's Youngest Child” as Want to Read:
Star Mother's Youngest Child

Star Mother's Youngest Child

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  67 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Once upon a Christmas, there was an old woman who lived in a hut at the edge of the forest, with only her old dog, Uproar, to keep her company. The old woman had only one wish: to celebrate a real Christmas, with a tree and presents and candles and food. Just once.

High up in the heavens, Star Mother’s youngest child makes a wish, too. “Mother!” he wails, “just once I want
Published September 26th 2005 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Star Mother's Youngest Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Mother's Youngest Child

jennifer
Jan 11, 2009 jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who need a reminder
Recommended to jennifer by: cyd brimhall
illustrative message about the purpose of the season itself seen through the actions of two misfits who make christmas bright. good reminder to all of us who "over do" christmas and forget the beauty of simple gifts! may we all realize we have "enough".
Andd Becker
Feb 10, 2015 Andd Becker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This heartwarming story has perfect alignment of text and visuals.
The emotive power is substantial.
Place this little book with your holiday decorations. Read it aloud every year and relive the miracle.
melanie
Dec 23, 2014 melanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: with-the-girls
Another annual Christmas read. This is a sweet little story that also freaks my kids out a bit because the old lady is so grumpy and mean. It makes a nice change from all the sickly-sweet stories out there.
Becky Straub
Feb 26, 2015 Becky Straub rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MSBC's December selection. Lovely story from my childhood. Favorite Christmas story of mine and my mother. Beautiful pictures and a sweet story about finding joy in the little things.
This is an old, small book with a lot of words. Good to read to an elementary kid one-on-one, or for said child to read to himself. Good story.
Rachel Albino
Dec 30, 2015 Rachel Albino rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful book reminding us of the true gift of Christmas
Margaret
Oct 29, 2007 Margaret rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, fiction
My mother used to read this book to us every Christmas. It is a sweet story about acceptance, appearances, and what it means to celebrate a holiday. It has lovely black-and-white drawings that I remember pouring over every year while my mother read it aloud.

Any time one of us has rumpled or spiky hair, my brothers and I say, "you look like star mother's youngest child!"
Jana
Feb 23, 2010 Jana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairytales
The pictures are not among the best looking, on the other hand characters are no beauties either. Nevertheless very charming story about one Christmas in one hut of an old women, which reminded me so much of my own grandma in a way she lived...no shower, toilet outside house, water in a pump.
Teri
Dec 19, 2013 Teri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas, 2013
This was the 30th Anniversary Edition. It is a very small paperback. Would like a hardcover, nicer edition. Sweet, charming little story. Would be a good discussion book.
Linda
This is one of our favorite stories to read at Christmas, magical and surprising. It's time to count our blessings!
Kelda
Mar 21, 2009 Kelda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Magical and wonderful!
Lara
Dec 28, 2013 Lara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, childhood
A darling Christmas story.
Angela
Angela rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2016
Sarah rated it really liked it
May 30, 2016
Mari K
Mari K marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Arthur Deslippe
Arthur Deslippe marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Sadie Faye
Sadie Faye rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Portia
Portia rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Lara
Lara added it
Jan 25, 2016
Laura rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Melanie Scheller
Melanie Scheller rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2015
Becky Lockwood
Becky Lockwood rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2015
Kamae
Kamae marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2015
Gabe
Gabe rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2015
Aug 17, 2015
Sarah rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2015
Monica
Monica rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2015