Leave me alone: Memoirs of an Exmormon

Leave me alone: Memoirs of an Exmormon

1.99 of 5 stars 1.99  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Popping fights and picking cherries—cutting ties with the Mormon church is culture shock at its finest. In this new trans-genre form that combines short stories, short prose, and poetry, B.E. Hewson anthologizes the memories, emotions, and imaginings of a faith-failed adolescent colliding with an uninviting world.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published April 12th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Leave me alone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leave me alone

Jamie
Jul 27, 2011 Jamie rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Well, it was free. Which is about the only positive thing I have to say about it.

No, that's not the only positive thing. I thought the prose chapters were REALLY interesting. You know, where the author actually bothered to right a memoir? Those chapters? Good. And I would have enjoyed reading a book made up of chapters like that, but interspersed with weird free verse poetry that made no discernible sense in relation to the prose chapters?

Yeah.

I think the premise of the book is good. It's why I...more
Sally
No, I didn't forget to rate it...I actually gave it zero stars. And I feel that's even a bit generous.
Worst book I've EVER read. And that's saying a lot.

It was vulgar and made no sense - it literally was a bunch of sad, bitter ramblings. A reviewer compared it to JD Salinger...that person should be banned from ever writing another review again. I should also say that even though the word "memoir" is in the title, it's actually a jumbled collection of poetry, which chronicles her life (sort of)...more
Catherine J.
This book was terrible and confusing. There's no cohesive narrative, and I think there's more "continued abuse victim" in this book than "Ex-Mormon."

Seriously. There is just NOTHING connecting these horrible pieces of badly-written prose and worse-written poetry. Nothing.
Brittani
What was the point of this?
Tiffany
The Kindle-sphere has given rise to a world of self-publishing too enticing to be ignored: write a book! Make money! Be heard! Be famous! Now everyone can write a book, anytime, about anything, and publish it in the blink of an eye without a critique or an editor or someone to say, "Flesh that out more" or "This part makes no sense."

"Memoirs" has potential -- with a little work, it could be made into a veritable phenom of a story. There's raw talent in it, even given the mostly horrid slew of...more
Lisa (windandthestars)
Going into this with no expectations, I found I really enjoyed this collection. There isn't a whole lot here relating to the Mormon faith, instead Hewson focuses more on universal experiences and emotions particularly in her poems.
Shana
So my rating is not necessarily Ms. Hewson's fault. I'm not one for jump around type reading. I was reading this "short story" in bed before I went off to sleep. I had not paid particular attention before starting to read that is was not a short story, but part story, part prose, etc.

This was a jumble of feelings from when she was a young girl, then as a young adult and goes on to poems. It was hard for me to follow. None of which written had anything to do with the Mormon church really.

I "purch...more
MissyLynne
Add me to the list of readers who were left confused, disappointed and lost by this book. I was expecting a story about a character who was an ex-Mormon. Instead I was left reading a bunch of gibberish. There are a few short stories that make no sense what so ever with being Mormon, and the poetry I ended up skipping. The stories were random, jumping from being a college student, to Pajama Day at school, to a sick brother in a wet suit. What the heck does any of this have to do with the original...more
Stephanie Whittaker
i could relate to the story about going to school only because i grew up a jehovahs witness and was often treated badly by school mates and at times teachers...other than that i found the book rather a waste of time. i'm glad it was such a quick read.
Leticia
It was okay up to the point of the prose. After that, I had to stop. The "entries" were confusing to follow, but if they had a little more clarity it would be a good read. Not the worst I've ever read, but not one I would pay for or choose to read again.
Angel **Book Junkie**
Not many books earn a zero from me but, if I could this would. I have always been intrigued by the mormon, amish, mennonite world but, WTF was this??? Not for me...
Liz
I have no idea what this book is trying to be, or how it connects to Mormonismin any way. I don't really know what to do with it.
Jossie Solheim
Honestly one if the worst books I have ever read. It makes little sense, is poorly written, just a pointless read really.
Bryan
Me perdí, no entendí nada, no le encontré sentido, me aburrí, no me gusto ni un poco. Pero bueno, fue gratis.
Johnnie
Incredibly sad. This is an angry woman.
Manda
Er, what?
The poetry was good.
Bethany
If I could give it a 0 I would.
Sheila
Sheila marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Kelly Crowe
Kelly Crowe marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Todd A
Todd A marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Caylynne Smith
Caylynne Smith marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014