Start by marking “Caring for Mother: A Daughter's Long Goodbye” as Want to Read:
Caring for Mother: A Daughter's Long Goodbye

Caring for Mother: A Daughter's Long Goodbye

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  41 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
"... Owens offers this thought-provoking memoir of her family's nearly seven-year-long ordeal with her mother's illness. Portraying additional struggles with her own and her father's age-related medical issues, she yet drives home the relentlessness of Alzheimer's demands on its sufferer's circle of support. ... Rather than belaboring the losses it entailed, Owens makes ...more
Published March 1st 2007 by Westminster John Knox Press

To ask other readers questions about Caring for Mother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Caring for Mother

Skipr
Aug 28, 2010 Skipr rated it really liked it
This is the story of Virginia Owens' ordeal - and there's no other way to put it - of caring for her mother as she declined into Parkinson's and stroke-induced dementia. Over and over I thought, "Yep, that's the way it happened," because our family went through the same thing with my dad. I could also relate to many of Owens' coping mechanisms; for example, when faced with bad stuff she goes into information gathering mode. Owens' doesn't avoid the tough questions that are inevitable when you ...more
Lisa
Feb 12, 2012 Lisa rated it it was ok
A good book at first, a real emotionally good story that makes you want to read more. But the writer suddenly adds fillers half way through that have no need to be in the book. She rambles about psychologically and history, causing me to skim quiet a few paragraphs. When she does go back into her and her mothers interaction and progress, the story of her mother is truly beautiful. Then sadly it abruptly ends, going back on to religious babble. It was overall OK.
Mary E
Feb 22, 2011 Mary E rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-read
I've read this over the last several months, lingering as I process my own experience. This book echo's my experience as a caregiver and encourages me to continue. I'm only a short way down this path, if we can ever know. I appreciate the exploration of what the essential person is when the person we care for no longer recognizes us.
Carolyn
Feb 05, 2010 Carolyn rated it really liked it
This book is on the 2010 UMW Reading Program list. So far, It's very readable and filled with compassion for our elders. I found that it validates the feelings that I have had regarding my experiences caring for my mother-in-law and helps me to better understand where she's coming from.
Faye
Nov 03, 2007 Faye rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: someone with elderly sick parent??
I was distracted by the author's constant tense shifts from past/present and decided there wasn't a "literary" reason-just screw-ups....I did learn how much dementia is a part of Parkinson's, but I've read much better caregiver/goodbye books.
Marsena Dufresne
Oct 28, 2007 Marsena Dufresne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-again
A tender story that gave me comfort in the best way a book can: to let me know I'm not alone as I care for my great aunt whose memory is failing. Owens' tale is engaging, human, and beautiful.
Fred M. Schmid
Fred M. Schmid rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2014
Cyndi Buell-hall
Cyndi Buell-hall rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2014
Gayle
Gayle rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2007
Diana Look
Diana Look rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2012
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2012
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2015
Kate Taylor
Kate Taylor rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2014
Karen Powell
Karen Powell rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Todd Putney
Oct 30, 2015 Todd Putney rated it it was amazing
Excellent book on caring for elderly loved ones
Em
Em rated it it was ok
Oct 18, 2016
Narin Rahimieh
Narin Rahimieh rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2014
Danielia
Danielia rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2016
Tim Byrer
Tim Byrer rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2012
Waynel
Waynel rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2015
Lisa Moran
Lisa Moran rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2015
Debra
Debra rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2008
Yuki
Yuki rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2015
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2012
Carmen Tafolla
Carmen Tafolla rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2015
Blaine Morrow
Blaine Morrow rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2015
Lynne Fleming
Lynne Fleming rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2015
Sharon
Sharon rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2008
Diane
Diane rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2013
Paula
Paula rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2013