The Pocket Therapist: An Emotional Survival Kit

The Pocket Therapist: An Emotional Survival Kit

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Whenever Therese Borchard was weathering a personal storm, and help was nowhere to be found, her one guiding light was the question, "What would a therapist say?" The result was a sort of therapy scrapbook for rough days--a quick reference for anyone who needs a dose of encouragement, support and tried and true ways to cope.

THE POCKET THERAPIST is a compact and accessible...more
Published April 15th 2010 by Center Street (first published April 1st 2010)

Crystal Porter
"Sometimes when life hands you lemons it's harder to make lemonade then that cheery notion suggests. In more trying situations the initial urge may be to use said lemon as a projectile weapon aimed at the source of frustration. The Pocket Therapist is a book for those lemon-launching moments in life."

That description sets the tone for the entire book. With 144 techniques to help cope with anxiety, conflicts, and just life in general. Each of the techniques are designed to help us cope with the n...more
Jenny
the therapist in me was attacted to this title but the sometimes anxiety and depression ridden sides of me really appreciated her frankness and humor. I can't relate to her exactly but I did feel very validated in my own experiences with mental illness, it is nice to once in awhile feel like and realize that there are others who struggle and even though I may be "crazy" a lot of the imte, I'm not the only one trying to live day to day life with some extra obstacles to overcome sometimes. I liked...more
Linda
I won this book on Goodreads and I started reading it yesterday. It has alot of practical advice for manuevering oneself through life's problems and petty annoyances. I really like the book and find it very helpful. I would highly recommend it.
From my blog...
Therese Borchard has done it again! Her latest book, The Pocket Therapist is astonishingly brilliant, filled with insight, advise and wit as no one other than Borchard can deliver. The Pocket Therapist is an, as Borchard calls it, "emotional CliffsNotes" complied from her vast years as a patient. Each page delivers a reality check for whatever may ail the reader at the moment or merely leading the reader support. From facing fears, to being sincere Borchard leaves no stone unturne...more
Tam
This is what my ever-eloquent mama calls a bathroom book. Each page has a new thought and a new piece of advice.

I was really excited to get this book because I thought it would be a little bit more informative. In my mind, friends would come over, sit on my couch and we'd work out their problems from a clinical perspective. I was hoping this would be a very detailed book that was comparable to a psychology degree.

Obviously, I dream big!

This is less of a Pocket Therapist and more of a zen book to...more
Kater Cheek
This book is a quick read, with short one or two page chapters that each have simple headings. I wasn't expecting much. I usually don't care for the sort of touchy-feely, feel-good, get-in-tune-with-yourself stuff, but I was hoping this would provide some sort of blueprint for introspection. I got a handful of interesting tidbits out of it, so it met my low bar.

Ironically, she misuses some of her own advice in writing this book. She says that you shouldn't ask advice from people who are ill-equi...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Here's a new idea: Let's choose someone to write a self-help book who knows what she is talking about. Someone who is not a researcher. Someone who is not a psychiatrist. Someone who is not even a therapist.

How about picking someone who is crazy?!

Yes, the author of The Pocket Therapist, Therese J. Borchard, claims she wrote this book by drawing on notes she took from "more than twelve years (i.e., six hundred hours) of therapy" as well as "get-ahold-of-yourself tips...learned in the psych ward."...more
Kristen Nace
This was the second book I've won through First REads. Apparently Therese Borchard writes a blog about mental illness and this book is a compilation of excerpts from her blogs. Each one is probably no more than a paragraph or two. She draws from things her therapist has said, from religion, from her own experience with mental illness etc The result is a little book that you can easily pick up, read a page or two and then put away. Nothing in this book is heavy handed. Borchard is funny and a lot...more
Elizabeth
I read about Therese Borchard in GUIDEPOSTS magazine and became intrigued with her blog. Her books had such high ratings on Amazon I thought I'd give them a read, since I am on the board of directors for a human services agency in crisis intervention/suicide prevention.

This book is a compilation with easy-to-pick-up-and-read-in-a-few-minutes "chapters", usually just a few paragraphs. I liked that.
This book made me laugh at myself in recognition. I liked that too.
This book made me want to invite...more
Deanna
I was lucky enough to win this copy from Goodreads. I am an emotional survivor myself, and found that many of Ms. Borchard thoughts mirrored my own beliefs. Ideas that aren't necessarily new but ideas you lose sight of when you are stressed. The 'kit' is 144 short snippets of advice on dealing with stress, depression, aniexty, panic and bi-polarism. It is not the kind of book that you sit down and read all at one time, but something to read when you are having a rough day and need a pick-me-up....more
Freda mans
My first thought a little way into this book was I was glad the author is not really a therapist. What she is, is an in-your-face author who shoots straight talk always. You are either going to love her or hate her.
I didn't care for it, even though I laughed a couple times. I just felt like the old adage "misery loves company" played in here all too well. Not my thing.
Sidra
I liked it. The tips were all that I used in everyday life, and it was intriguing to see someone else using it too. The only thing I disliked about the book is the fact that it does not make a good one sitting read, it's more of a one page a time kind of read.
Sasha Rose Clifton Oxnard
This is a delightful, funny book by a woman who has lived with bipolar disorder and drinking problems. It's incredibly wise, while remaining laugh-out-loud funny. Written in a 1-page-per-chapter format... it's a quick and delicious read for anyone - troubled or not!
Holly
I haven't started reading it yet - it just came in the mail today, but I love it already! It is cheery in green and lavender; a compact little hardcover book that feels nice to hold. It has made me feel better already, haha! Seriously - can't wait to read it.
Karen
This book offers unique bits of wisdom for working through difficult times in life. I appreciated the authors humor and willingness to share her own experiences.
Anna
Sep 18, 2011 Anna marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Sounds like a humorous book to read, with the authors own real life experiences. I am definitely going to be this up to read...at the library.
Lots of great little gems, and perfect for reading in spurts since each "chapter" was only one or two pages. I'd keep this to reread.
Alicia
Apr 29, 2010 Alicia marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
won from first reads!! I started reading this right when it came. Has some awesome quotes and some funny/inspirational tidbits.
Tim
A good read with some helpful tips. Think Chicken Soup for the Emotionally Challenged.
Linda
A quick read with humorous reminders to keep oneself sane. Just a fun book.
Anja
Simple recipes to stop being stressed and depressed, and start enjoying life.
CHess90
CHess90 marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
LJ
LJ added it
Apr 02, 2014
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
En_barnes
En_barnes marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Therese Borchard is the author of the hit daily blog “Beyond Blue” on Beliefnet.com, which is featured weekly on The Huffington Post and was voted by PsychCentral.com as one of the top 10 depression blogs, and she moderates the popular depression support group, Beyond Blue, on Beliefnet’s social networking site. Therese is the editor of The Imperfect Mom: Candid Confessions of Mothers Living in th...more
More about Therese J. Borchard...
Beyond Blue: Surviving  Depression & Anxiety and Making the Most of Bad Genes The Imperfect Mom: Candid Confessions of Mothers Living in the Real World Woman, Why Are You Weeping?: A Lenten Companion for Women I Love Being a Mom: Treasured Stories, Memories and Milestones Winging It: Meditations of a Young Adult