Start by marking “Infected (Infected, #1)” as Want to Read:
Infected (Infected, #1)

Infected (Infected #1)

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  14,999 Ratings  ·  1,331 Reviews
Across America a mysterious disease is turning ordinary people into raving, paranoid murderers who inflict brutal horrors on strangers, themselves, and even their own families.

Working under the government’s shroud of secrecy, CIA operative Dew Phillips crisscrosses the country trying in vain to capture a live victim. With only decomposing corpses for clues, CDC epidemiolog
Published April 1st 2008 by Broadway (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Infected, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Infected

Stephen
Gee...um...well...this was...uh... blue-in-the-face
...severely frustrating.

It had an interesting premise, a solid story, and truly excellent horror elements…BUT it also had shitty characters, and dialogue that grated on my nerve clusters bad enough to leave me irked with the entire effort.
facepalm-baby

Such a hope-dashing, bitter disappointment this was for me. After really enjoying Ancestor some time ago, I was looking to Sigler to become a new staple for me in the realm of science-horror. Now, after this miss, it looks li
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
This book should cause me to lose a few pounds because now my stomach is queasy.

When I started the book I was all fangirl because I love some contagion books. Yes, I know I have weird tastes in books.

Some kind of contagion is sweeping a town, it causes people to go completely nuts and to kill the people around them. A seventy something year old Grandma kills her son because of it.
Then before the bodies of the assailants can be looked at they rot, completely turn to mush, and an odd fungus looki
mark monday
Sep 10, 2015 mark monday rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-gave-up, horrortime
dude if you can't even read your own novel effectively then hire someone! I for one am not a fan of overly emphatic narration that sounds like the reader has too much saliva in their mouth. and it's right there inside of my ears. spit or swallow, Sigler! it was so gross that I didn't even have a chance to get grossed out by the plot itself. and I doubt! that every sentence! ends! in an exclamation! point! or a breathy whisper. even worse: female characters voiced by the author as high-pitched ni ...more
Michael
Feb 19, 2009 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scott Sigler is one of those new fangled podcast novelists who is revolutionizing the publishing industry. Sigler offered audiences his first couple of novels free to the whoever wanted to download them. Through hard work and shameless self-promotion, Sigler got his name out there, drew in audiences and created a network of 30,000 plus rabid fans who couldn’t wait for the next insallment or novel.

Eventually, the publishing industry took notice and signed Sigler to a contract to put his stories i
Michael
Nov 01, 2010 Michael rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book did nothing for me. If you're going to give me action, then give me action I can believe and not have to stop every other page and question what I'm reading. If you're going to give me violence and gore (and be warned, there is a lot of violence and gore here) then give me violence and gore I can believe and not something just for the sake of writing something violent.

The concept of alien spores growing in humans was easier for me to swallow than anything else in this story and when it
Sh3lly ✨ Bring on the Weird ✨
I got to page 111 and am calling it quits for now. I can't get into it. No rating. There's nothing wrong with the writing or plot. I'm just not in the mood for a contagion thriller-type book I guess.

Doesn't seem like a zombie book at all, at least where I left off, so not sure why it's tagged that way?

Original post:

I'm trying to squeeze one more zombie book into Zombiefest July 2015.

Karen
Jul 03, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, horror, signed
This was truly one of the grossest books at times and I'm surprised I didn't have nightmares. And... I loved it!!!

I have a signed copy and the inscription reads "Save Perry's balls!" I caught on about halfway through!

There is science, and itching, and more science, and alien things, and gore, and more gore, and... You really have to read it!!

Sigler is a master storyteller of this genre!! I have Contagious open and ready to go!!
Mandy Moody
Aug 15, 2008 Mandy Moody rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scott Sigler is a podcast author - #1 on every aggregator, icluding Itunes. Infected is his first published novel. I picked it up because the cover looked cool, and the title sounded creepy. The short synopsis inside the front cover convinced me to buy it.
Boy, was I glad I did!
Infected is an original story that's well told, thought provoking, and fun to read. The characters are well written and believable and the story is intriguing.
This book gave me the feeling that all this was happening in r
Cathleen
Well-plotted enough, I suppose, but most definitely NOT my kind of read. Incessant foul language, manic violence, graphic gore, and grating characters. Ending wasn't what I'd expected (not a compliment), and I weary of obvious sequel set-ups.

audiobook note: Authors rarely do a good job reading their own works, and Sigler even acknowledges that he can't do female voices. He's right.

Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
AWESOME!!
Totally awesome.
Love this first book.
I was getting the creepy-willies all while reading it.
Erika
4 gruesome stars.

It's been 4 years since I read this book, and yet I still managed to cringe when I stumbled upon the book's cover while surfing Goodreads. Why is this such a surprise to me? Partly because I don't usually remember the details of many of the books I've read, unless it's super good. Why did I cringe? Because this book is GROSS AS FU...!!!

Let's be clear: I don't gross out easily. I grew up watching scary/gross movies and reading scary/gross books. I also have 3 younger brothers, wh
Jul 21, 2009 Jennifer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book, by an author who formed fan base by writing chapters for podcasts, had a lot of promise. However, that promise was never fulfilled. The premise of the book is either an alien invasion or a bioterrorist attack (we're never really told) on some unsuspecting souls in western Ohio and northern Michigan. We're introduced to characters like Margaret Montoya, a doctor with the CDC who wants to stop this thing and advance her career, and "Scary" Perry Dawsey, a former U of Michigan linebacker ...more
Becky
This book has been on my wishlist since 2008, but it just never really made its way into my hands. Until now, when we have a couple things align to make that happen. The first thing that it's October. I love October - it's my favorite reading month, the month when I read all sorts of demented horror-y stuff all month long and don't feel a bit guilty about it. Err... not that I do anyway, but, y'know, I try to vary my reading and stuff. So, right, October, horror required. Check.
The next thing i
Calypso
2.5

"Infecção" foi desde a sua publicação um livro que me chamou a atenção e pelo qual acabei por desenvolver algumas expectativas. Nem todas corresponderam, acho que esperava mais do livro, ou uma história diferente, não que a contada seja má, apenas espera mais.

Trata-se de um livro inserido no género Terror/Horror no qual tenho poucos conhecimentos. Sou decididamente mais fã de filmes ou mesmo séries vocacionadas para a área do que propriamente em livros.

Primeiramente o livro agarrou-me muito
Nicole *`((O_O))`*
WHAT. THE. FUCK?!

Um. I was excited to read this book because few many people said it's zombie. I WAS LIKE, HELL YEAH!

Well, nope...

OK...I think this book...well, what I think of this book...

When Perry were trying to get things out of his body...SKIN...

THAT'S DISGUSTED

AT THE END OF BOOK, I was like..

I don't want the damn thing inside of my body...

I REPEAT, WHAT. THE. F.U.C.K.!
Knotty
Apr 02, 2008 Knotty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Wow, Scott really goes for the gross-out here. Look our Stephen King. I find Scott's books very readable (what does that even mean?) Ending was abrupt. Possibly setting up for a sequel. I want to know more about it! I may even have nightmares.

S P O I L E R S B E L O W !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Did anyone else get EXTRA creeped out by the association with Morgellons? Look it up if you haven't, I thought I was being April Fool's day spoo
Oct 20, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Infected is a crazy, impressive concept that's written from every possible viewpoint. An infection like nothing the world has ever seen before begins taking over people's bodies. Through Perry, we see the infection through the eyes of someone who has it. Through Margaret, we see it from the medical standpoint. Through Dew, the government's though process. We even experience the infection from the standpoint of the infection itself. It's fantastic to see everything going on from these different a ...more
Tressa
Sep 17, 2014 Tressa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kate
Mar 13, 2011 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, age-adult, sci-fi, 2011
The government has been tracking a strange disease with numerous outbreaks in the Michigan area. The infected seem to go insane and kill people before violently killing themselves, and by the time the head CDC researchers get to the bodies, they are in a state of rapid decomposition and they have found barely enough evidence to show that there is some kind of foreign parasite involved. They find the infected through use of the word "triangle."

Perry, a former football star and recovering rage-aho
J8J8

3,5 estrelas

Infeção é, acima de tudo, um livro de ficção científica com traços de policial/thriller que não traz nada de novo ao mundo literário mas que sem dúvida entretém.

Comecei esta leitura pouco convencida de que iria gostar e até com o pressentimento de que a iria abandonar após algum tempo não só devido a alguns comentários mas, em grande parte, devido às primeiras páginas que se vieram a revelar um pequeno entrave. Antes de qualquer pessoa pegar neste livro aconselho a pensarem 2 vezes

Chrissieskleinewelt
Jun 26, 2015 Chrissieskleinewelt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
Reread
Rezi: http://chrissies-kleine-welt.de/?p=2069

Dieses Buch sollte man nicht lesen, wenn es einen gerade irgendwo juckt. Was ist, wenn dieses Jucken nicht mehr aufhört und wenn sich die geröteten Stellen seltsam verschorfen? Was ist, wenn man bald darauf eine Wesensänderung durchmacht, die das komplette restliche (kurze) Leben auf den Kopf stellt? Und was passiert, wenn der Schorf abfällt, was wird sich darunter befinden? Man kann mir wirklich glauben, dass man dies nicht erleben möchte. “Sca
Angela
Apr 15, 2009 Angela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, thriller
I wanted to like this book. I was ready to let it entertain me with its creepy-sounding premise: alien spores infecting hapless human beings and turning them violent and delusional, while directing them to some mysterious purpose. Meanwhile the government has to race to figure out what's going on before word of the violence spreads to the general public--and before the aliens become enough of a genuine threat that military action must be taken.

Okay, cool, I thought. However, the book that that p
Doug
Feb 01, 2008 Doug rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci Fi/Horror Fans
My entry into the genius world of Scott Sigler. The guy knows how to write. And this story of an "inner invasion" kept me on the edge of my seat. Sigler's books are not for the squeamish, nor the kiddies. Since that time I have enjoyed numerous novels and short stories by this new media master of the macabre. But Infected will always have a special place in my heart. And my kidneys. And my leg...
11811 (Eleven)
4.5 stars. This was an excellent sci-fi/horror that begs to be adapted into a David Cronenberg film (with good old fashioned special effects, none of that CGI crap.) I listened to the audio version narrated by the author as a free podcast download from iTunes. The production quality was top-notch and I'm looking forward to the sequel.
Duchess Nicole
Well, my husband and I listened to this on itunes as a free podiocast. The narrator is also the author, Scott Sigler. For the most part, he did a great job. I was excited to listen to him, to the inflection in the way he meant for it to be read that a reader normally has to create in their mind. Though whoever the producer was did some funky stuff with his voice on certain characters.

The book was great, if a bit gross in parts for my taste. It was a weird mix if sci-fi and horror, which I don't
Jason
Feb 10, 2011 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2011
4 stars, but for delivering the thrills, chills, and gross outs, it is a 5 star. This is a fairly typical take on "Invasion of the Body Snatchers", but with a modern and graphic twist. Sigler has created one bad ass protagonist who I found that I liked, I empathized with, and I believed. This is a thriller at it's heart and science fiction novel for a story line. The pacing is a bit uneven at times which can be forgiven as this is a first novel in a series, an much of it provides great setup. Th ...more
Paul
Feb 01, 2015 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I listened to the podcast/audio of this book a while back and the story really captured me! I never went on to books 2&3 because I wanted to read the actual novels. Well...I finally got around to reading Infected and it was SO much more personal to me....I caught all the details I missed the first go around. I went up from 4 to 5 stars. The reading was never dull or boring and it was an action packed, rollercoaster of a ride! I can't WAIT to go on to the next book, Contagious, in this trilog ...more
Marie Sexton
This was a very frustrating read for me. On hand, it starts out strong, and it kept me reading. The underlying premise is fantastic. But a couple of things really ruined it for me:

1. We spend most of our time in the POV of Perry, the infected former football player. He starts out very sympathetic. Unfortunately, at the end, (view spoiler)
Ms. Nikki
2.75 Stars

The main character, Perry, who was infected by this so-called parasite made me want to keep reading this book until former childhood issues corrupted his thinking process. The book went downhill from there. If you do not like medical jargon, this book is not for you. It did however have its creepy/ick moments that kept me engrossed, but the over-all story and the ending were not up to par. I might or might not read the next book.
Andrew Neill
Apr 26, 2015 Andrew Neill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
I would give this 4.5 if part stars were allowed, it had enough flaws to not warrant the 5 star rating.

The gore and descriptive nature of the storytelling had me wincing at times and squirming all over the place as I listened to this. The flaws are the fact that the characters are very unlikeable and you hope they do not make it a lot of the time. There is some elements of knowing if the science is plausible and whether what Perry does near the end is possible to survive.

But I cannot wait to see
Singley Staff Boo...: Infected 11 11 Feb 03, 2014 06:45PM
[asmb] Book Club: Infected 27 19 Oct 02, 2011 12:14PM
  • 7th Son: Destruction (7th Son, #3)
  • Crescent
  • Brave Men Run - A Novel of the Sovereign Era
  • The Case of the Singing Sword
  • Morevi: The Chronicles of Rafe and Askana (Book 1)
  • Hell
  • South Coast (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper)
  • Dog Blood (Hater, #2)
  • The Immortals
  • Murder at Avedon Hill
  • Nina Kimberly the Merciless
  • Underwood and Flinch

Get Scott's free, unabridged weekly audiobook episodes from iTunes by subscribing to his podcast. .

New York Times best-selling author Scott Sigler is the creator of fifteen novels, six novellas and dozens of short stories. His works are available from Crown Publishing and Del Rey Books.

In 2005, Scott built a large online following by releasing his audiobooks as serialized podcasts. A deca
More about Scott Sigler...

Infected (3 books)
  • Contagious (Infected, #2)
  • Pandemic (Infected, #3)

“Despair filled his skull even more tightly than his own brain. All around him cars filled with normal people perfectly unaware of the disease turning Perry's body inside out. Fucking normal people.” 29 likes
“In a life where waking hours are draped in the costume of horrid nightmare, where reality has suddenly become questionable, it's easy to be scared by dreams.” 4 likes