Don't Look Back

Don't Look Back

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  1,168 ratings  ·  104 reviews
Genre: LGBT Suspense

He was chuckling, a deep, sexy sound as he pushed Peter back on the satiny cushions. Was this for real? Was he going to go through with it? Peter blinked up as his tie was unfastened, tossed aside, his shirt unbuttoned, laid wide. The evening breeze -- scented of smog and jasmine -- felt cool against his overheated skin, like the lightest breath…

Peter...more
Published (first published June 29th 2009)

Lena♥Ribka

If you have a book hangover you should read Josh Lanyon.

Though the risk is too high that you won't read anything else up until you have reached the end of Josh Lanyon's list.

Don't Look Back is a perfect mystery a là Josh Lanyon with a sexy very male detective Michael Griffin and Peter Killian, a museum curator, who is, OF COURSE, a prime suspect in a theft case in his museum.

Though with a little benefit for the readers: The first sex scene happens almost on the very first page. I would say in c...more
Shelley

This is good. If you know Josh Lanyon’s work, particularly The Adrien English series, you’ll recognise the likenesses here. Peter Killian is the well-ordered intelligent and conservative type, slim, neat and appealing in appearance.
Detective Griffin is the big, sexy, mysterious alpha in charge. The atmosphere is comparable and Peter’s voice also bares a strong resemblance to Adrien English. Luckily for me, I’m a big fan.

Even with these similarities, Don’t Look Back stands out on its own just be...more
Jenre
Don't Look Back is a very different story to the other two books which have been recently released by Josh Lanyon. Its tone is quieter, more reflective and the story mirrors that tone in that most of the conflict comes from the lead character's internal confusion, rather than external forces (although there is a bit of that as well). You may also be shocked to learn that there isn't one single murder in this novella. Not one.

The book begins in a dramatic fashion with our hero, Peter, stumbling t...more
Marte
...I'm so easy... One drool look at the cover and halfway through reading the blurb I clicked "Want to read" ;P Sue me. After I read the whole blurb though, I found that it checked a lot of my boxes. LOL! Mystery, suspense, Detective..

****4 mysterious stars****

This was my pre-review of this book. As I said I'm easy. :P But when I bought the book at Amazon there was a totally different cover
Don't Look Back by Josh Lanyon.
Boring, I thought. But, you know what? After finish reading, I think that cover was much better than th...more
Lauraadriana
What would it be like to wake up one day and discover that the feelings for the person that matter the most if your life are gone?

That's was happens to Peter Killian, after being attacked while walking into a robbery at the Constantine House the museum where he works a curator.

Peter has been in love with Cole Constantine the chairman of the board of the museum and his best friend, forever. His whole life revolves around making Cole happy despite the fact that Cole and him will never have anythi...more
Tina

Museum curator Peter Killian wakes up in a hospital to find that a blow to the head is the least of his problems. He suffers from amnesia and the very hot Police Detective Michael Griffin sitting by his bed seems convinced Peter is a burglar, who has stolen an expensive mural.

Peter has to figure out who is stealing from the museum before he winds up in jail or the real thief decides to silence him. But first he must try to put together the pieces of his fragmented memory. On top of that he sees...more
Meep
A nice quick read, fits in nicely amongst other things.

Usual Lanyon characteristics; formula mystery, a tough cop character and a weak smart main character who of course is the main suspect. Nice comfortable reading.

Amnesia allows Peter the chance to see his potential better. Life and friendship has held him back, so he's become buttoned-up, a claustrophobic and depressing reality he gets to see with new eyes having forgotten everyone/thing personal to him. Mike lurks, big, muscular, disapprovin...more
Nikki
Started reading this when I was awake with a stomach ache at five in the morning. It's very readable, and kept my attention, even in that state -- and I finished it in one go today. It's pretty standard fare for Josh Lanyon, in the sense that there were no surprises, but he always manages to make it readable, and I enjoyed the character growth these particular characters had to go through, particularly that surrounding Peter and his friend Cole.

The sex scenes were pretty numerous, given the drea...more
Trix
Sadly, this book didn't rate as well as the others I've read by Josh Lanyon. Perhaps it wasn't such a good idea to start a marathon of his books. Should have taken a break after finishing the "Adrien English Mystery" series. This book rated a meager 2.5 stars.

I am still impressed by Adrien English that I found Peter Killian very much similar. The setting and details were different, of course, but there was the same atmosphere, same civilian involved with a cop. I spent half the book comparing Pe...more
Ije the Devourer of Books
I really liked this one especially once the story began to develop. There were two aspects that really had me hooked: Peter's amnesia and what had happened to him in the past, and then the thefts from the museum and who was actually behind them.

Of course I had a suspect and I wasn't wrong in my guessing but this didn't detract from the story.

Once again Josh Lanyon has delivered a great mystery with good characters, great pace and an enjoyable story. He is one author that I really like and I know...more
Ami
Story with amnesia theme can be exhaustive and cheesy if an author is not careful on how to treat it. Josh Lanyon never disappoints me before and this one is no different. Using a mystery-suspense with a main hero who suffers from psychosomatic memory loss after being hit on a head, Josh writes about finding back love and uncover the bad guys. It is romantic and beautiful. Short (it IS a novella after all) but satisfying.
Mtsnow13
As always, Josh never lets me down with his audiobooks. Great pick for narrator and it made the story that much better. Highly recommended.
Jennifer★Pher★
Yeah, I know, fan girl. No doubt. OMG!! I loved this and I loved Peter and Mike!!
Adrienne -kocham czytać-
YesI I love my 5-star Lanyon books!

This was the epitome of why I love Lanyon. It had a good mystery (I mean I pegged who did it and why Peter had psychosomatic memory loss 15-20% into the book), but still it was great to watch Peter figure out why and how and dig himself out of the hole. It had great, mature, flawed characters that have issues to work out (between and outside themselves), and are misleading to each other sometimes, but are good, honest guys that step up to the plate when push co...more
karlakolumna
I totally needed my Josh Lanyon fix. It's been some time since I last picked up a book by him, and he didn't disappoint. As always.
Especially after a seemingly endless series of mediocre books (or, to be fair, fairly good ones but with a plot I'm currently not in the mood reading about).
So yeah, I liked this book quite a lot.
Alyosha
The mystery was very easy to figure out but it was so well told I didn't mind a bit. Peter was easy to like and sympathize with. I couldn't help but feel and root for him when he slowly and painfully tried to find himself and figure out the puzzle his life had become.

Very good and enjoyable read, 3.5 stars
Amanda
5 stars

I really liked this book and wished it had been longer. A few hundred more pages at least? lol.
Susan65-Coug
Back to back 4.5-5 Stars reads for me from Josh Lanyon and yet I still hesitate before I commit to one of his books, why? Good question and I think it all springs back to the Adrien English series, and where I am the only person on the planet who didn’t love it. I have got to let that go and realize that there is more to this author than just that series. Susan, let it go…step away and move on. And so I am and I did and I am so grateful too.

I love mysteries and I love gay romance and I love my g...more
Cindi
Peter Killian, curator of Constantine House, wakes up in the hospital with amnesia. Apparently he was a victim of a brutal crime the night before. He has slight flashbacks but no real memories of the attack or pretty much anything else. He also has dreams. Graphic, sexual dreams. In his mind he assumes that his partner in these dreams is his best friend, Cole, who is on the Board of Trustees at the Constantine House. Cole is also the man that Peter has been in love with most of his life. Cole is...more
Elizabeth H.
Josh Lanyon books often leave me in a dilemma as to what to rate them. They really are in a category by themselves for me; it's difficult to compare them to any other m/m books or to simply assign them four or five stars. Most of the time I give them five stars because I always fly right through them, turning page after page.

Don't Look Back takes the common writing advice to start as deep into a story as possible and stretches it as far as it can possibly go. The reader is left in as much of a...more
Katharina
4.5

Don't Look Back is a mystery with a few of the usual Lanyon ingredients, but also some unexpected twists: Peter Kilian wakes up in the hospital after a museum robbery and finds himself the prime suspect. Investigated is the incident by rough and handsome Detective Michael Griffin who seems dead set on pinning the whole affair on Peter. The problem is that Peter himself has no idea what happened because he just cannot remember. Things get even worse, when Peter is heavily implicated in the th...more
The Flooze
Novella also found in Committed to Memory (Partners in Crime #5)

From the tense opening to the sweet resolution, Don't Look Back is entertaining all the way.

Though I knew who the culprit was early on, it didn't lessen my enjoyment one jot. Spending time with Peter as he examined his life from a convenient and desperately needed distance provided mystery enough. There were also plenty of thrills - both dangerous and sexy - to keep me eagerly reading.

Lanyon's stories do have certain commonalities:...more
Blaine
Feb 09, 2011 Blaine rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all mystery lovers and lovers of gay romance
Meggie
Ah, an audio book was amazingly good today. Once again, I loved the main storyline, because it was complex enough, well written and mysterious, too. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED STORY!!!

2013/April/16,4-star rating
How could I manage to overlook this great story for so long, I have no Idea. I'm glad it came my way eventually. Here we have well written and developed mystery romance between detective Mike Griffin and Peter Killian who is the curator at Constantine House. I liked both MC's. The tension betwee...more
Cleon Lee
Candice
Peter wakes up in the hospital with no memory. He knows who he is, but nothing remotely personal. Turns out the museum he works at was robbed and he's the main suspect. The cop on the case thinks he's faking his amnesia, his co-workers don't believe he's innocent, his best friend can't be inconvenienced due to his stance at the museum, and someone is taking potshots at him. It's him against the world...or is it?

Kati
I felt so sorry for Peter. First he gets beaten, then he loses his memory, he is accused of thieving and arrested, someone tries to kill him and if that wasn't enough, he loses his job and his home. And it looks like whenever he thinks that it can't get worse, life proves him wrong. Fortunately, Mike thinks that Peter's worth taking a risk. And I wanted to kick Cole in the balls - that man had a nerve, really!
Peter Killian, a museum curator, wakes up in hospital with the police wanting to talk to him about a theft from the museum - except Peter has amnesia.
Beautiful writing and character developement. I liked Griffin, the detective who first interviews Peter. It took me longer to like Peter - I found he became more sympathetic as the story progressed.
Enjoyable mystery with a nice romance.
  • Boystown: Three Nick Nowak Mysteries
  • Trust Me If You Dare (Romano and Albright, #2)
  • Mexican Heat (Crimes & Cocktails, #1)
  • Camp Hell (PsyCop, #5)
  • Second You Sin (Kevin Connor Mystery #2)
  • The Slayer's Apprentice
  • Breaking Cover (Life Lessons, #2)
  • Primal Red (Bellingham Mysteries, #1)
  • Like Pizza and Beer (Dino Martini Mysteries, #2)
  • L.A. Heat (L.A., #1)
  • Deadly Wrong (Deadly Mystery, #2)
  • The Salisbury Key
  • Death Trick (Donald Strachey, #1)
  • Pas de Deux
  • Death by Misfortune (Bill Turner, #2)
  • Cover Me (Cover Me, #1)
A distinct voice in gay fiction, multi-award-winning author JOSH LANYON has been writing gay mystery, adventure and romance for over a decade. In addition to numerous short stories, novellas, and novels, Josh is the author of the critically acclaimed Adrien English series, including The Hell You Say, winner of the 2006 USABookNews awards for GLBT Fiction. Josh is an Eppie Award winner and a three-...more
More about Josh Lanyon...
Fatal Shadows (Adrien English Mystery, #1) The Dark Tide (Adrien English Mystery, #5) A Dangerous Thing (Adrien English Mystery, #2) Death of a Pirate King (Adrien English Mystery, #4) Fair Game