A Capital Crime (DI Ted Stratton, #3)

A Capital Crime (DI Ted Stratton #3)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  23 reviews
A tale of grotesque horror based on the true story of the two most sensational and controversial murder trials of the 1950s.
Published September 1st 2010 by Quercus Books

To ask other readers questions about A Capital Crime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Capital Crime

Carey Combe
Not quite as good as other two. The stories about Monica and Diana just seemed tacked on to the main story which, incredibly, is based on a true story. However, good enough that I want to read next one as I am loving the characters.
Miles
My first introduction to Laura Wilson, “A Capital Crime” is one of the most intriguing books I’ve had the pleasure to read this year. Set in the early 1950’s and based on the notoriously tragic true story of Timothy John Evans and John Reginald Halliday Christie, Wilson blends fact and fiction with consummate ease producing a rather beguiling novel.

Timothy John Davies, a semi-literate van driver, walks in to the Merthyr Tydfil police station (in Wales) and admits to murdering his wife and 14 mon...more
Michael Johnson
Laura Wilson is a crime writer that uses her considerable skills to convey the period of the 1950s through the eyes of ordinary people.

This particular story is a reworking of the infamous Christie serial killer case of the happenings at 10 Rillington Place, London. Timothy Evans admitted he was the murder of his baby daughter and was hanged in 1950. But subsequently other bodies were discovered in the garden and John Christie (also living at the same house) was convicted as a serial murder. It w...more
Den
Usually I am gripped by things based on real life stories but this didn't grab me as much as other books in the past. I read it all but more for the sake of finishing it (I hate leaving books unfinished) than for the satisfaction of finding out the truth.

It is based on two real cases of 2 possible separate murderers ( Evans and Christie) living in the same house at 10 Rillington Place (made into a film with Richard Attenborough, John Hurt and Judy Geeson)- who killed the people whose bodies wer...more
Nov 13, 2011 Laura rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: Bettie, Carey
Another passport coming from Sweden just arrived from Rome.

I absolutely loved this book and the plot is based on the true story of Timothy John Evans, who was hanged in 1950 for the murder of his daughter who was 14-years old, and that of Reginald Halliday Christie who was also hanged in 1953 for the murder of his wife. Another book Ten Rillington Place
by Ludovic Kennedy
also deals with the trial of both murder cases since both murderers lived at this address in London.

According to Laura Wilson...more
Ant Harrison
I enjoyed this book very much, particularly the believable evocation of 1950s post-war London. Wilson manages to blend two plot lines together, although I would say that on the whole, the story of 'Drippy Diana' is less effective than the re-working of the John Christie murder case. On the whole though, a very enjoyable read. More please, and soon.
© Koplowitz 2012
Rachel Nowakowski
Was amazingly impressed with this series of books. The main character is brilliantly wrought. I don't usually read this type of historical setting but the detail and atmosphere that she has created and the passage of time really impressed me. I found the whole series a very satisfying read.
Hazel Roberts
Although this is fiction the author's notes explain the relationship with John Christie and 10 Rillington Place,
The charactera from previous books have continued and relationships have evolved as adults have got older and youngsters become young adults.
Pravesh Bhardwaj
Part fact and part fiction coupled with very readable prose makes a decent reading. The story is intriguing and there is a promise which goes on for most of its 540 pages. I will read more from Laura Wilson although this remains quite unsatisfying.
Rebecca Nelson
I usually enjoy anything which is based on true events, but I felt this book was quite dull. Despite a lot of "interesting" things happening in the story, I found it slow and quite predictable in places. A first and last read of this author for me.
Mary
Another solid entry in the series. Once again, the vetran police officer rankles against his superior's rush to judgement. This entry additionally reviews the Crippen murders. Wonderfully written, full of period detail and riviting to read.
Fergus McNeill
A really enjoyable period police procedural. Not read any others in this series, and wasn't familiar with the real-life crimes that inspired it, but I found the story atmospheric and it held my interest throughout.
Lorna
Worth a bit more as it is a very good period piece but also a bit slow at times. Does post war Britain really well and uses a true crime to make a good novel. She also writes well - easy reading
Kellie Van
Love books set in the early 1900's in London. This book had me googling the crimes it was based on....always a good sign. Loved the characters, loved the setting, "loved" the crime!
Chris Skidmore
A wonderful recreation of the Rillington place murders and the ramifications of them for the police. The best DI Stratton book so far!
Ali Watts
i usuallly take a good while to get into a book but this book had me riviteed,,,in 2 days id finished it, a record attempt for me!!
Christa L
A post WW2 mystery based on the crimes of Christie and Evans. Part of a series but can be read on its own. Great period detail.
Penny Little
An enjoyable murder mystery story based on 2 true crimes in the 1950s, with a parallel fictional storyline added for interest.
Andy Weston
Retelling of 10 Rillington Place - fortunately for me I hadn't seen or read that so it didn't spoil what is a decent novel.

Cathy Wood
Very dreary story. I wasn't really engaged with the characters and was quite glad to finish it.
Clares
So gripping I read it in one sitting
Sophie Houston
Deeply gloomy, but very good.
Carol
☯Bettie☯
Mar 06, 2014 ☯Bettie☯ rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Posting on to Hayes then Laura in Brazil
Recommended to ☯Bettie☯ by: Brand new, sent through from dear Carey
Megan Firth
Megan Firth marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Dee Richardson
Dee Richardson marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Bella
Bella marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
There is more than one author with this name

Laura Wilson is an English crime-writer based in London, where she was born and raised. She has degrees in English Literature form Somerville College, Oxford, and University College London, and has worked as a teacher and editor of non-fiction.

Many of her novels have either a historical setting or a distinct historical connection, and often have split or...more
More about Laura Wilson...
The Innocent Spy (DI Ted Stratton, #1) An Empty Death (DI Ted Stratton, #2) A Little Death My Best Friend The Lover