Start by marking “Shades Of Twilight” as Want to Read:
Shades Of Twilight

Shades Of Twilight

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  5,215 ratings  ·  243 reviews
Published (first published July 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Shades Of Twilight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shades Of Twilight

Sophie ♥
Jan 10, 2014 Sophie ♥ rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romantic suspense fans, Linda Howard fans, those who enjoyed After the Night in particular!
WARNING: Fragile Heroine Ahead

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
10 STARS FOR THIS MASTERPIECE BY LINDA HOWARD - I AM HEAD OVER HEELS IN LOVE WITH THIS I CAN'T EVEN...ROANNA WAS A 100% PERFECT HEROINE

I am finally out of my reading rut. Hurrah! All those historical romances and mellow contemporaries finally got to me and I was definitely in the mood to shake it up a bit so I decided to make another venture into romantic suspense and I just cannot believe how hard I fell for this book. What really skyrocketed this book up
Didi
~~~~~~ 4.5 STARS! ~~~~~~

Wow. Linda Howard is quickly becoming one of my fave authors.

This book was so consuming, so thorough in its ability to make me cry, hate, despair and feel joy. It had a very epic feel to it although the events transcend 20 years in total. I loved the characters, even the bad ones. Roanna was a girl that lost her parents as a child only to live with her grandmother at Davencourt, the estate her father's family established.
She's also loved her second cousin, Webb---this di
LibraryLass
4.5 stars for this one. I usually am not into the 'family drama' type scenario in books esp. if they have 1/2 a book in the past and 1/2 in the now - BUT this one grabbed me right from the prologue and I had difficulty putting it down (therefore I did so very rarely ;)

I loved Roanna and Webb. The only reason this didn't get a full 5 stars though, was that I think Roanna's love for Webb was at times a bit wimpy. Having said that, I thoroughly enjoyed their interaction. Unlike other reviewers I di
MelissaB
I originally read this about 9 years ago when I first found Linda Howard but by now didn't really remember how I felt about it - turns out it's a pretty good story that kept me entertained and even made me cry. There are a few aspects I could have done without - the cousins are a little closer in the family tree than I would like for the leads to be and the graphic descriptions of the taboo relationship with the one character and another person.

Overall, a good story with the old Linda Howard mas
Booklover
This was a fabulous read for me,absolutely loved Webb-Roanna such strong sweet caring honest characters and their love was so deep they lived for each other protected each other and even sacrificed so much so that the other one gets happiness.It was a 5 star book for me but the climax disappointed me a little so 4.5 stars

I really cried for Roanna way she suffered and changed lost her smile and willingness to live,for no fault of hers she constantly suffered so much pain anger abusings humiliatio
Jane Stewart
I love this author, but I don't recommend this book. Roanna lost her parents at age 7.

She then lived with an evil cousin Jessie who bullied and tormented her constantly for 10 years. Jessie was killed and the relatives at first believed Roanna did it, then later believed Webb did it so he left town for 10 years. He made erroneous assumptions about Roanna and acted like he hated her as he left. He was the only one who cared for her and raised her from age 7, and she felt abandoned. Other relative
Tina
Linda Howard hit the ball out the park with this one. It had everything that makes for a great read for me. First there is Southern family drama. I am from the South and there is nothing that gives me larger charge than reading about the life, loves and scandal of a family set in the South.

The book is set in two pieces. The first half is all set up. We meet the principle players all at very young, impressionable ages and get a feel for all the intertwined relationships. And then, abruptly, a cha
Renee

*** 4Woof Stars***

description

Roanna and Jessie are cousins. After losing their parents they both moved into Davencourt, their grandmother's mansion. Roanna is the black sheep of the family - she’s clumsy, outspoken and troublesome. Jessie is beautiful, snobby and bratty.

Webb has lived in the mansion with his mother since the death of his father and is set to inherit the Davenport and part of that deal is marrying Jessie. Roanne has been in love with Webb all of her life.

Shades Of Twilight is good suspens
Carol Storm
This was an amazing book! More than a romance novel, it's a literary work that celebrates the American south and shows its darker side with all the sizzling intensity of Tennessee Williams.

Roanna Davenport is the most original heroine I've ever seen in a contemporary romance novel. So often in reviews we say someone (usually the hero) is "wild." And people just use "wild" to mean vibrant, sexy, passionate, whatever. But what makes Roanna so heartbreaking and original is that she really is . . .
Rashika (is tired)
Oct 08, 2013 Rashika (is tired) rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NO ONE! Not even my worst enemy, no one deserves this
Recommended to Rashika (is tired) by: My own stupid self, I really should sue myself
There is a reason why this book is getting such a low rating.
It scarred me for life and here I thought I was going to get brain candy.
I cannot even write a rant because I am so distressed.

But because I don't want people to be scarred for life like I was, I will tell you why this book got a horrible rating(this is not a spoiler).

One of the 'couples' in this book are a pair of Father and Daughter but the daughter does die (and I cannot tell you if the father does) so there is that.

When I say coupl
Glamdring

*2,5 stars*

I really liked the first half or so but unfortunately I found that there was too many rehashing in the second one. I rounded up my rating because I was wondering about Jessie's killer until it was revealed.
Netha
My fave book....

novel ini benar2 mampu mengaduk2 emosi.
novel ini sangat kompleks. cinta, keluarga dgn rahasia2 terkelam didalamnya hingga mengungkapkan pembunuhan yg terjadi 10 tahun yg lalu di davencourt.

Roanna Davenport kehilangan ke 2 orang tuanya saat berusia 7 tahun.
neneknya, lucinda tallan davenport, menerimanya di rumahnya davencourt & dibesarkan bersama2 dengan sepupu roana, jessie sang crown princess & webb talan, keponakan lucinda dari keluarga tallan.

webb sejak kecil dibesark
Jacqueline
I loved this book. I am very fond of romances that start when the hero and heroine are children and we get to see their story over time. This was different and interesting. If you only like one type of story and get squeeked out when the plot has some unsavory elements, you might not like it. I pretty much have a cast iron stomach when it comes to that sort of thing. It's fiction and not only that, the stuff that people object to in this book i.e., incest (not the hero or heroine!) it happens th ...more
Oana
Thank God for the old-fashioned romances! Guilty pleasures, brain candies, comfort readings, whatever I may call them, they are still making me smile and making me feel better whenever I am down.

Shades of Twilight embodies a ridiculous amount of my favorite tropes in these romances: second chance love story lasting for years, children friends to adult lovers, old South family drama, tall dark and handsome Southern gentleman, vulnerable and scarred heroine, but classy to the core, a big historica
Darcy
This was an odd book for me. I was grossed out by the inappropriate (to me any way)relationships in this book. We had second cousins getting married and there was also an even worse couple with a father and daughter. But even with this said, I did like the main couple, Webb and Rowana. I did want to reach into the book so many times to throttle Rowana, she was so wishy washy, she needed to get a spine and take control of her life. She did have a moment in her life where the light bulb did come o ...more
Paula
I've read a lot of Linda Howard's books and have enjoyed all of them, this one included. However, several things about "Shades of Twilight" bothered me.

First of all, weren't Webb, Jessie, and Roanna too closely related for him to marry either of them???? I know in centuries past that was no big deal, and relatives even closer than they were are known to have gotten married, but in this day and age, I thought they were a bit too closely related.

Also, not to give anything away, but when Jessie's r
Shannon C.
This ended up being a pretty good romantic mystery, but during the middle third of the book I almost put it down in annoyance. The heroine was such a doormat and I just didn't buy her holding a candle for the hero for ten years while he was gone. And how she went to college, was even social (eg, in a sorority) but yet she didn't date and she was still a virgin at age 27??? Yeah, right.

Then she finally got a backbone and I liked her character better. The mystery and suspense parts in the last ha
Christine
Roanna has been in love with Webb for as long as she can remember. As a child, it was a sort of hero worship, but as she grew older, the love matured into something more real. So it broke her heart when Webb married her spoiled cousin, Jessie.

Then one day, everything falls apart. Roanna spies Jessie with another man, but she doesn't want to tell Webb, because she's afraid of hurting him. She does lose her mind, however, and kisses him, a kiss that Jessie interrupts. Jessie and Webb fight, and la
jenjn79
Iris Robinson
It was pretty good in the suspense...REALLY good in the romance/sex scenes. Except for referring to the vagina or penis as his/her "sex"...that was quite weird, haha. Their attraction to each other was very intriguing, even without the family factor. They don't seem to even consider that dating/marrying/having sex with your second cousin is at all strange. It really disturbed me! I mean, the description of their love scenes...wow! But then I remembered that they were related...there was so much ...more
Pamela Su
A heartwrenching and dramatic love story that has all the elements that brings to Dallas and Dynasty to mind.

This is a multiple re-read for me and I still love the story. Lots of turmoil, conflict and absolutely delicious scandals pack this book, scandals that spans generations.

My favorite (AND most hated) theme is here. The delicate and fragile but STILL independently strong heroine matched up with the uber alpha male whose goal in life is to shelter and protect his delicate, independent darlin
Tina
Carol Storm

Willow
On the surface, this one is a bit worrying. The whole kissing cousins thing is strange, even if they are second or third or whatever number you want to put on it. I get it, this is the Old South to a certain degree, but still. There's a reason Yankees say this stuff about us. BUT, you do get past it. You understand the mechanics of this family and how they work and how it is they keep this piece of land in their family the way they have.

So once you're past that you're going to find a story told
Samantha
Oct 10, 2009 Samantha rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ANyone who think freaked up families are fun to read about
Recommended to Samantha by: No one, found it at the store
Kimberly
Review originally posted at BookMunchies @ Wordpress.com.

This is a pretty old romance novel. I’d been looking for something new to read now that I’ve exhausted all my Nora Roberts options. (I haven’t read any of her J.D.Robb works, but I’ll get to it sooner or later.)

I hate to sound cliched, but I read romance novels for the plots and not the smut. Since this will be my first romance novel review, I’ll explain myself a little here. They have an adult fairy tale feel for me: you can trust them to
Jucilene
Have you a writer that you buy the books with a merely look at the blurb because you know is worth it? A writer that you could bet a finger that her/his worst book it will be still the better that the most books?

Linda Howard for me is this: Safe and sound.

You see, Roanna is by no means our typical heroine. She doesn't became a beatiful swan, but in many ways she remains a ugly duckling. Her progress is slow, but very well worked.

And Webb, despite that weird name, is a rock, as an Linda Howard's
Big Girl Books
Okay, so many years ago I went through a Linda Howard Consumption. I read everything and anything that had her name on it. I even read the ones I was sure I wasn’t going to like. All of them I read through the library. Shades of Twilightis the only one I own to this day.

So, I feel that Linda Howard has two distinct part to her writing career. There’s the early stuff that was marketed as romance and was to be found in the romance section of ones library/bookstore. And then there is the later Roma
Rhapsody
Mar 06, 2008 Rhapsody rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of contemporary romance/fans of heroines who need to be coaxed out of their shells
Such a good novel. Roanna lost her parents when she was 7. She and her cousin Jessie, whose mother also died, move in with their wealthy grandmother. Jessie is spiteful by nature, tormenting her younger cousin. Everyone loves her regardless while Roanna is unable to find a niche for herself on the estate. The only person who cares about her is Webb, seven years her senior and the heir to the estate. She is heartbroken when he marries Jessie, but the marriage doesn't turn out so well. At 17, she ...more
Heroine vs hero's family 2 36 Dec 30, 2012 08:58PM
Heroine vs hero's family 1 16 Dec 30, 2012 08:37PM
  • Shadow Lover
  • What Mattered Most
  • Naked Edge (I-Team, #4)
  • Return to Santa Flores (Loveswept, #40)
  • One Summer
  • Slow Heat in Heaven
  • Return To Me
  • Kiss and Tell (T-FLAC, #2)
  • Lady Gallant (European Renaissance Duo, #1) (Ladies, #1)
  • Crazy Cool (Steele Street, #2)
  • Midnight Run (Midnight, #2)

Linda S. Howington was born on August 3, 1950 in Alabama, United States. She began to write at nine years old, and wrote for twenty years for her own enjoyment. She worked at a trucking company where she met her husband, and then decided to try and get her work published in 1980. [1:] Her first work was publishe
More about Linda Howard...
Mr. Perfect After the Night Dream Man Open Season Mackenzie's Mountain (Mackenzie Family, #1)

“I loved you when you were a snot-nosed kid, into so much mischief
it's a wonder my hair didn't turn prematurely gray. I loved you when you
were a teenager with long, skinny legs and eyes that broke my heart
every time I looked at you. I love you now that you're a woman who
makes my brain go soft, my legs go weak, and my dick get hard. When
you walk into a room, my heart damn near jumps out of my chest. When
you smile, I feel as if I've won a Nobel Prize. And your eyes still
break my heart.”
39 likes
“I have a real low tolerance for parasites, and you're so close to the limit that I'm already reaching for the flea powder.” 14 likes