Start by marking “Vampire Kisses (Vampire Kisses, #1)” as Want to Read:
Vampire Kisses (Vampire Kisses, #1)

Vampire Kisses (Vampire Kisses #1)

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  41,885 Ratings  ·  1,947 Reviews
In her small town, dubbed "Dullsville," sixteen-year-old Raven -- a vampire-crazed goth-girl -- is an outcast. But not for long...

The intriguing and rumored-to-be haunted mansion on top of Benson Hill has stood vacant and boarded-up for years. That is, until its mysteriously strange new occupants move in. Who are these creepy people -- especially the handsome, dark, and el
Published August 5th 2003 by Katherine Tegen Books (first published August 1st 2003)

Alkyoni

I don’t care that the writing is simplistic. I don’t care that the main character herself is simplistic. I don’t even care that these books were written for much, much younger readers than me, say… 14 year olds.

I don’t care about any of that, because Vampire Kisses always puts a smile on my face. Some will find it to be silly; some will find it to be naïve; I find it to be refreshing, original and funny, even though after a few days I can’t even remember what the plot was about.

Sixteen year ol
Brittany (Nice Girls Read Books)

I was expecting a lot more from this book.

I felt that the characters were very stereotypical, two-dimensional and that the story was predictable. Also, I hate the kind of stories where the two leads 'fall in love' in a matter of 24 hours, etcetera... with hardly any interaction. This is what happens with Sterling and... oh right, Raven...

I guess I shouldn't have expected a lot more from this book when the main characters name is so silly.
Kristy
Jan 03, 2011 Kristy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
***Spoiler's below***

Ugh, so this is going to be mostly a rant.... just warning ya.

With a title like 'Vampire Kisses', I, the reader, would assume that
a: this book has vampires in it
b. it is a romance novel, with kissing
c. Whoever our character is, he/she is kissing a vampire

While some of these are true.... They might even all be true to a point, but not in the way I had expected or wanted!
Really, we don't even know "our guy" is a vampire until pretty much the last page!!! You might assume it
S
Jan 27, 2013 S rated it did not like it
This book is way too coincidental.
Allow me to discuss the irony, which Vampire Kisses has more than enough of (and this is still an understatement). The main character's (Raven) parents used to be what she called "hippies" when she was a kid. Now, if her parents were hippies, why would they name her kid "Raven?" Flower-loving lava-lamp-collecting Pink Floyd orange walls pink carpets hippies, would name their child Raven? I understand that I may be stereotyping the whole concept of being a 'hippi
Rebecca
Oct 30, 2009 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Vampire Kisses is a really great book. I found it to be very original and absolutely hilarious. There were parts where I just couldn't stop laughing because Vampire Kisses is a very very funny book.
Vampire Kisses was really interesting too. I found myself reading more and more and more of it and ended up finishing it because it's just a book that you want to keep reading.
Vampire Kisses was thoroughly enjoyable and I will forever remember parts of it.
I loved all of the characters, they were all
Corinne
May 19, 2008 Corinne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 10 year old goths
This book is kind of like a salad when all you really want is a steak. You start to read it and you really, really want the two main characters to get together and thats all well and good. It would be a better book if the main character wouldn't whine so much and get over the whole damned "I'm goth and no one understands me" bullshit. It wouldn't be as bad as it is if the characters had actual depth, if the parents weren't as retarded and if the story had more meat.

There are other books followi
Bryan Coffey
Jan 28, 2009 Bryan Coffey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the vampire kisses series because it was the first vampire love novel i read before twilight came out and i am able to relate to this book a howl lot. I would recomend people to read this book and the howl series granted it is not as long or as good as twilight but it is worth the read. This teenage girl falls in love with this teenage vampire and she tries to deny it for ahilw and she is curious to find out who he is and it has been her life long dream to become a vampire. She broke it t ...more
Heather
May 22, 2010 Heather rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, 2010
I don't know why I do this. I don't know why I actively select books from the library that are so clearly marred with atrocious writing made visible by a pathetic title an horrid cover art. I don't know why I not only turn from page one, to continue reading page two when it is obvious from the first line that the book will be crap, and then I not only read page to, but to page 200+ to the story's conclusion. I'll chalk it up to a God question, just like why Dinosaurs roamed the earth. It's unexp ...more
Janaye
Aug 24, 2008 Janaye rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must admit that this is a guilty pleasure type of book. Its very simple with not much depth to it but is a cute book. Though it is not something to read for a life changing experience it is cute and easy to read and follow so give it a try.

Fall in love with Raven and her Vampire and follow them through all their terrifyingly wonderful adventures.

Though there is some originality to the book it comes in the form of non-original vampire myths and legends (garlic, crosses, sunlight etc.) so just
Anushka
Oh god, what the fuck was this?
Stupid plot.
Stupid characters.
Stupid writing.

Everything about this book was so gooddarn stupid! How are these books even published?

This book was for teeny boppy girls who are hopeless romantics and fantasize an Edward Cullen will someday come to get them. I was sick and couldn't move from my bed, hence settled for reading this whole series as it was the only one available in my mobile. Otherwise I swear to god, I'd not have read this shit in a million years.
Polina
Jun 18, 2012 Polina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Someone hand me the forks.
I have no desire to be able to read after finishing Vampire Kisses by Ellen Schreiber.
The main character is *goth* Raven *goth* Madison who *goth* is apparently a goth. In case you didn't get that from the author pointing that out every other page. She also pulls out every single cliche in the book, and ends almost every sentence in an exclamation point. People aren't called by the names that they are given, no, the snarky protagonist has to give them an insulting nickn
Sandy
Apr 01, 2008 Sandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, series
This is the third book by her that I've read, and she has a very light, ditzy kind of style of writing. Or maybe it's just her main characters, I don't know. Raven is a total perky goth. Like, seriously. She's very perky, it would be very annoying if I didn't like perky goths, so I'm warning you in advance. But here again, vampire romance. It was actually pretty cute, and there's also totally something going on with this other guy that does not get fully developed, but hey, there's 2 more books ...more
V
Mar 04, 2010 V rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Truly dreadful stuff.

I am glad this was a library rental (I'd have kicked myself if I even scrounged up a penny to buy this tripe), although I felt I was doing my library a real disservice when I gave it back...

So, spunky, yet incredibly moany teen goth Raven has taken that stupid, cutesy saying of: 'When other little girls wanted to be ballerinas, I wanted to be a vampire!', and taken it to heart. She loves vampires and finds out in the course of this book that a coven have indeed come to this
Sophie
Mar 06, 2011 Sophie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book sucked. And not in the good way either.
So the main characters name is raven and she is goth. Tragically so what with her black combat boots, black lipstick, black hair. But at the saaaaame time she is a total freaking preppy girl. She argues with the hottest guy in school and she works at this travel place and at she seems completely fine with wearing bright red lipstick and a pretty red dress.
Wait whaaaaT? I thought she was goth.
Apparently she doesn't even know what goth is.
Then she b
Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
If only this was a parody it would have gotten four stars, but according to my googlefu it's for real.

This is one of the worst books I've read this year.

It's too pathetic to snark.

Well, I'm kinda snarking this.

I will probably not continue this, because I'm not that mean.

Also, this book was written BEFORE Twilight, believe it or not.

Brooke ♥booklife4life♥

In Dept

Best Part:
Pass.
Worst Part: INSTA LIKE WHOA
Thoughts Had: seriously?!; are you crazy!?; yah you're crazy.

Conclusion

Continuing the Series:
eh.
Recommending: no.

Short Review:
Anjali_sahu
Feb 05, 2012 Anjali_sahu rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anjali_sahu by: A stupid friend
I am sorry I picked this book.
From the story,the writing style,the characters to pretty much everything about this book made me want to throw it in a fireplace.

The story is so unengaging that I had to find solace in homework.HOMEWORK. I had to force myself to finish reading this book and that took a great effort. Good books do not require an effort to be read.You keep expeting the story to give you something interesting and it fails to do so. Everytime you think "Oh now we are getting to someth
Scribblegirl
Scale of 1-10: 2.5
Pros: Spunky heroine who isn't afraid to stand up for herself and be who she is, and more importantly, does not fit the norm.
Cons: Kitschy vernacular wore on my nerves and was caricatured, while some of the dialogue was downright painful.

Synopsis: 16-year-old Raven has wanted to be a vampire since she was 5. On the day she turns 16, a mysterious new family moves into the old mansion down the street - the very same "haunted" mansion that Raven snuck into back when she was 12. A
Jenny Jo Weir
Bite me!

This book was recommended to me by my overdrive app and I would have never read it otherwise but I'm very glad I did. Way to go overdrive app!

I loved that this book was not long or dull. It's cute and not the same story everyone else writes about...and it wasn't 20 hours long! It seems like all the stories I have recently been reading are all freaking 12 to 18 hours long and I appreciated this author keeping it short and sweet.

Raven is a high school student obsessed with vampires. She i
Marija *Head High, Giving No Fuck, We'll Be The Ones They Hate*
Actual rating: 3.5 stars.

It's been a long time since I read about a character who can be a badass and completely crazy at the same time. I adored Raven. She was such a refreshment. Although I didn't like her complete obsession with vampires and all things black, I really liked her personality. She stuck up for a girl everyone beat up, she takes no shit from anyone and she really knows what she wants - to become a vampire. Complitely delusional, I know. But that's Raven.

I liked how brave she was
Howdy YAL
To see full review click here.

There’s no way I can talk about Vampire Kisses with a straight face. If it was intended on being written as a parody then Schreiber succeeded. If it was written to be a serious romance. Then…

This is bad guys. So bad. It’s like the literate version of My Immortal.

Take every Goth stereotype known to man, add some really out dated vampire references (including a cringe inducing cameo by Anne Rice), and top that off with a couple of romances that don’t make any sense th
Ginger
Dec 23, 2011 Ginger rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: vampire fans
Recommended to Ginger by: no one
When I first read this book, I could not put it down. Ellen Schreiber uses a mixture of humor and darkness to tell the story of a goth girl who falls in love with a vampire. This is a book for all you classic vampire lovers and those who are into morbid comedy.

***

Edit:

Now that I look back on it, it's okay. It's not particularly special, but I still enjoy it.

Quite frankly, I'm sick of paranormal fiction. There are too many books written, especially for young adults, about it and very few are good
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

Sixteen-year-old Raven Madison started her obsession with the dark side in kindergarten. While the teacher was asking her young students what they wanted to be when they grew up and getting the typical responses of nurse, fire fighter, and football player, young Raven answered the question the only way she knew how--she wanted to grow up to be a vampire.

Raven's parents, Sarah and Paul, were typical hippies who spent their early years together waxing poetic abo
Iman Almufti
Jul 07, 2011 Iman Almufti rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One word: EEWWW. Out of five stars, Iegative three stars. I was reading the reviews, and some said it was the best book they've ever read, and some say it was the worst. My cousin recommended this to me, so I wen't ahead and read it. Worst choice I have ever made. Worse than deciding to try and climb a ladder with heels on. I've seen people in their reviews reccommend this book to tweens who've fallen for all them sexy vamp dudes and don't really care for the book itself. I don't. I myself am a ...more
shady boots
First of all, I'd like to thank the ever so lovely Paige, for if I had read this without ever reading her review of it, I would have probably Chris Browned this book into a pulp.

I read this book kind of as if I were watching any of the Scary Movie movies or even Vampires Suck. Yes, I didn't take it seriously. But you know what? It worked! I ended up enjoying this book a lot.

To be honest, if I did take this book seriously, that would not have ended well. Besides, not taking it seriously felt sort
Rebecca Jane
Kimberly Yates
Oh my gosh......Ive just finished this book, and I have soooo many things I would love to say about how UNBELIEVABLY PERFECTLY AWESOME, TRAGIC, LOVABLE, THE BEST OF THE BEST, on and on and on with how fantastic this diamond is....I am not kidding when I say this, Ive read about 50 books so far this year and thousands in the years before this one book. I will say confidently and whole heartily that this is the best book I have EVER read. Really? YES!!
I spent hours reading this, I could NOT put i
Incorrigible_bibliophile
This was one of my favorite books as a teen.

Alexander is the new guy in Dullsville. Is he a vampire or just really into being goth? Either way, Raven, the lone goth girl among a town filled with boring prepsters is entranced.

Super quick read but it's so campy and fun.
Fanny
Feb 25, 2016 Fanny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dis is de best bok i haf ever red i lov it so mach
Pls reed and check out my blog www.fannny-Loves-vampires.net
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Okay, this series is just fun and cute and well, so much fun! I don't think it gets enough credit for how good it is.
  • Girls That Growl (Blood Coven Vampire, #3)
  • Sucks to Be Me: The All-True Confessions of Mina Hamilton, Teen Vampire (maybe) (Sucks to Be Me, #1)
  • Shattered Mirror (Den of Shadows, #3)
  • Night Life (Vamps, #2)
  • The Vampire Stalker
  • Love Sucks! (Bite Me, #2)
  • Twelfth Grade Kills (The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, #5)
  • Initiation (Vampire Beach, #2)
  • Fangs for Freaks (Half-Blood Vampires, #2)
  • Dangerous Girls (Dangerous Girls, #1)
  • Lord of Misrule (The Morganville Vampires, #5)
  • Bloodline (Bloodline, #1)
  • The Wedding of Antanasia Jessica Packwood and Lucius Valeriu Vladescu (Jessica, #1.5)
  • Dead Is the New Black (Dead Is, #1)
  • Tantalize (Tantalize, #1)
  • Vampire High
Before I took pen to paper, I was an actress. I attended a local university majoring in theatre and spent a summer in London at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts where I learned about the “Old Bard” from amazingly talented teachers.

When I returned from London, I relocated to Chicago where I lived for five years. There, I graduated from the Second City Training Center and performed improv, Shakes
More about Ellen Schreiber...

Vampire Kisses (9 books)
  • Kissing Coffins (Vampire Kisses, #2)
  • Vampireville (Vampire Kisses, #3)
  • Dance with a Vampire (Vampire Kisses, #4)
  • The Coffin Club (Vampire Kisses, #5)
  • Royal Blood (Vampire Kisses, #6)
  • Love Bites (Vampire Kisses, #7)
  • Cryptic Cravings (Vampire Kisses, #8)
  • Immortal Hearts (Vampire Kisses, #9)

“He looked so lost, so soulful, so lonely. I wanted him to kiss me now. I wanted to let him know I was his for all eternity.” 591 likes
“Raven?'
What do you believe in?'
I believe in - finding out!”
119 likes