Start by marking “Sea Glass (Glass, #2)” as Want to Read:
Sea Glass (Glass, #2)

Sea Glass (Glass #2)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  15,755 Ratings  ·  847 Reviews
Student glass magician Opal Cowan's newfound ability to steal a magician's powers makes her too powerful. Ordered to house arrest by the Council, Opal dares defy them, traveling to the Moon Clan's lands in search of Ulrick, the man she thinks she loves. Thinks because she is sure another man now her prisoner has switched souls with Ulrick.

In hostile territory, without proo
Published September 1st 2009 by Mira (first published August 18th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Sea Glass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sea Glass

Can't decide which cover I like best!

This was an okay story, but I didn’t like it as much as Storm Glass.

Opal did try to make the best of her abilities in this book, but she also made some mistakes. I felt quite sorry for her every time she got caught out or ended up walking straight into a trap, but she also seemed quite powerless at points.

The storyline in this was about Opal making glass animals again, trying to get Ulrick and Devlen swapped back to their correct bodies, something going on wi
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Opal's dumb as a doornail routine annoys me. But the plot surrounding her intrigues me. Thus I will push on. Wondering how this semi- love triangle will end.
Now that the Council have found out about Opal's ability to steal other magician's powers they immediately see her as a threat. No matter how much she has done for them in the past it is all worth nothing now and they now want her under house arrest inside the Citadel where they can monitor her activities and decide what to do with her. The worst thing of all is that nobody believes her when she tells them that Devlen and Ulrick have swapped bodies so now Devlen has free reign of the Citadel and ...more
Milly
What can I say, I was a little dismayed by Sea Glass. Perhaps because I expected more out of this second book. Perhaps because I thought Opal's character was going to be more interesting and her adventures more daring and intriguing. However, none of that came into fruition, at least in my opinion.

The book didn't really pick up for me until the last 100 pages. I felt that the first 200 pages dawdled and there were chapters that seem indulgent and unconsequential. I know Maria Snyder was trying
Maggie ☘ (Reader in Wonderland)
“Lying to yourself is easy, too. I know. It's much harder to stay and deal with consequences.”

The good:
*I absolutely love Sitia and the world Snyder created.
*Kade is my sweetheart.
*Reappearance of old characters - Yelena, Leif, Janco..

“Don’t you dare say it.” He poked my arm with a finger. “My choice to help you. My fault for being caught. No regrets. I’d do it again without thought.” He cocked his head to the side and scratched his scarred ear. “Which isn’t that big of a revelation. Ari sa
Maria Kaye
Mar 01, 2015 Maria Kaye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Stefanie for keeping me motivated for the past two months when I was thinking of dnf this!

As always with Maria V. Snyder books this was good! Not her best in my opinion but still worth the read, especially if you're reading the main series in the chronicle (Study series).

Review to come.
Darren Hagan
Jul 09, 2015 Darren Hagan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**4.5 stars**

Loved it but it sometimes felt there was maybe too much going on.
Feb 27, 2017 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was soo, soo, soo good! I don't think that MVS can write anything I won't love!
Abbie
Mar 08, 2015 Abbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an okay read, but I didn't like it as much as the first.

I liked Opal in this one, but again, there were times where she annoyed me.

The pacing in book one was the main reason why I started to lose interest near the end. It was the same reason why I started to lose interest in this one. Unfortunately though, I found this one to be a bit slower, so I lost interest quicker.

Overall, Okay read.
Sara (Freadom Library)
Actual rating 4.5 stars

This review was originally posted at https://freadomlibrary.wordpress.com/

Critically
Plot – 4 out of 5 stars
Just like all her other books, the plot is fast paced and full of constant action. It’s full of adventure and traveling to all the different kinds of clans found in Sitia which was really fun to experience. There’s suspense, danger. betrayal, tension, lies and magic of course. I like that there’s a new form of magic introduced that gave the story and the world an enti
Julie
Dec 01, 2009 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009
If I were to write an action adventure story with magical and fantastical elements, I would write a book exactly like “Sea Glass”. But since I’m not ambitious or imaginative enough to write an actual novel, I’m glad Maria V. Snyder can and did.

“Sea Glass” is the second book in Maria’s latest trilogy. It complements the first book perfectly, even upping the excitement and intrigue level a notch. There is enough magic, mystery, blood magic, humor, cameos, political intrigue and action to keep you
Jilly
Apr 14, 2015 Jilly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
What's worse than a dumbass? A cynical, mopey, feeling-sorry-for-themself dumbass - and that is what Opal is in this book. She's changed from an optimistic dumbass to a pessimistic dumbass. But, don't worry, she still gets kidnapped and caught a lot. And, the thing is, Opal knows she's an idiot, but instead of trying to fix her idiocy, she wallows in self-pity.
I would be a fool to trust him. Too bad being a fool was my best skill.
dumbass photo: dumbass allthisistrue.gif
Oh.... poor you!!! Let's all feel sorry for her.

So, in this sto
Jessica
Feb 19, 2017 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book still suffered slightly from the tell me over showing me syndrome BUT it was drastically improved from book one. I hope it's all but gone in the last one as I know what a skilled story teller the author is. As for the storyline itself I'm loving it, seeing in the mind of someone with this new power set, when before we have only seen this from the outside... I'm looking forward to seeing how things unfurl.
Tracy Ehlers
Jan 06, 2016 Tracy Ehlers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic continuation from book 1.
I'm looking forward to reading the conclusion!
Swiftsea
Dec 08, 2012 Swiftsea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book drove me a little crazy. I found that too many things were occurring at the same time. Just like a whirlwind, Opal was involved in too many things.

Moreover, the deaths of many of the glass-makers frustrated me a little. I found it unnecessary to kill them off. Too many authors use the 'only person capable' routine to accentuate the importance of their protagonists.

However, what irritated me the most was definitely Opal's relationships with men. Her constant desire to rescue Ulrick wh
Susbogblog
Nov 09, 2014 Susbogblog rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Årh hvor var den god <3
Kathy
Sep 02, 2009 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Enjoyed

Content: mild language, implied sex but no scene or details
Linda
Apr 24, 2017 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-fantasy
It took a long while for me to get into this book, mainly due to the fact that I found the main character, Opal, to be frustratingly naive and just plain annoying. The situation improved at around 40 % (?), when Cute Opal turned into Bitter Opal, because Bitter Opal was a lot more fun and kick-ass! I hope she sticks with her newfound boldness and doesn't go back to being all cuddly in Spy glass...
Ivusha
Mar 20, 2017 Ivusha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a bad feeling I know how this trilogy is going to end up romancewise... And I'm not going to like it.
The book dragged and I kinda missed the story. It was more like lots of short stories mixed together to make a book.
The end was good, though. I acutally enjoyed this twist.
But dear Opal, you piss me off quite often. Not good.
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
It's always a bad idea to start off a book review with negatives, which is why I tend to follow the same structure each time: summary, positives, negatives, overall. When it comes to the second book in a Fantasy series, though, I don't know how to give a summary and not give everything away or at least spoil the first book. It just seems like too much work and I'm too lazy. So I'm ditching my usual structure and just spewing thoughts as they come.

I find myself fairly ambivalent towards this seri
Lexie
I'll start off first by saying--omg how much did I want this book? I might be a little biased, since I have adored the series since the very first, but I'm so glad I got a copy a little early. Next, for those of you who haven't yet gotten around to reading Storm Glass (for whatever reason, I don't judge) don't feel that you'll be lost jumping into this second book. The first 100 pages or so of Sea Glass has a pretty intensive overview of what happens in the first book through interactions and co ...more
Andrea
Sep 16, 2015 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You Thought Opal was Badass in Storm Glass, Think Again!
Sea Glass
Rating: 4.5/5

Summary: Opal has learned she can steal a magician’s powers without being provoked by siphoning it into a glass orb. The Council is afraid of her new power and orders her back, but Opal must confront Ulrick about blood magic and switching souls with Devlen. After the goes badly, Opal is forced back to the Keep and is held under house arrest. She is isolated, Zitora avoids her and is no longer her mentor, a null shield
di
Aug 16, 2009 di rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant! Was flipping through the pages at high speed.

Am always satisfied by Snyder's books. In this series the concept of Opal's magic makes for a fun read. I really wanted her to ping more magic into her orb! :) The dark can be pretty dark (particularly in the Study series), but the resolution is always completely satisfying. Aahh... I love it when an author is clever enough to finish a book well.

What I love the most about this book is the growth in Opal's character from the beginning of th
Kirsten
Apr 26, 2010 Kirsten rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW! I literally did a fan girl squeel into my pillow like two...okay three... OKAY, five times while reading this. I love it. It was better than Storm glass by a mile and half and I loved the evolution of Opal's character through this book. I can't stand it when the female charcter is a door mat. And by the end of Sea Glass Opal is anything the but the sweet push over that she is when the series begins! :D

I'm so mad I have to wait till September to read what happens! I can't get enough of Snyde
**Sognatrice di libri**
Come libro non è stato male anzi devo dire che piaciuto, la trama è scorrevole e poco noiosa. Mi è piaciuto il modo in cui viene rappresentato ogni singolo personaggio e la sua interazione con la situazione in cui si trova in quel momento.
Devo dire però che ho trovato la protagonista principale Opale un po' troppo confusa nei suoi sentimenti e il fatto che cambia troppo spesso idea su ciò che pensa o sull'opinione altrui, insomma non ha mai le idee chiare.
Mi ha incuriosito molto il personaggio d
Michele
Oct 23, 2009 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love these books. There is all the action and excitement, but, I have a problem with Opal.
***Spoiler Alert!!!***

She has no confidence in her own abilities and allows everyone to walk all over her. But, when she decides to gain control and take over her life the fireworks start. I love Opal with a backbone, you go girl!! Now lets discuss Opal's other little problem. Who is it that Opal really wants? Does Opal want to be involved with Kade the safe secure choice or Devlin, a man she has good
Danii
Aug 16, 2016 Danii rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book a lot more than Storm Glass! There was a lot more adventure, and action. Opal was such a bad-ass in this book! She wasn't taking anyones crap anymore. I love the new Opal. And I'm really glad she learned to stick up for herself!
I love all the plot twists that were in this book as well. I never would have seen the thing with Tama and Kakoka coming at all! Same with Devlen, that was a big change. I loved all the character developments in this book. Most of them really learned abo
Michelle
Jul 14, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book from Maria V. Snyder. I love Opal even more and I got so frustrated when the Council kept accusing her of being a threat. She never would do the things they are accusing her of but no one would see that. Man that is frustrating. Kade is so sweet and understanding. Also, I really started to like Develen even though he has done horrible things to Opal. Blood magic is still creepy and I strongly recommend refrain from using it for any reason.

Overall: 5 stars
Recommendation: Opal
Yoda
I enjoy Opals story/adventures more than I did with Yelena. I like the even pace of the book, it feels effortless. Instead of saving every plot twist for the last 20 pages, action is evenly distributed. It doesnt feel forced.

I just wish we got a bit more of Devlen in this one, I thought he was a bigger part of this book, but its just his name being repeated all of the time.
Sophia
Oct 11, 2015 Sophia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book once more has shown me things I didn't notice before, some things that made me laugh and others that made me grit my teeth. I can't wait to finish the next one and finally read the latest series in this awesome world.
  • Cast In Courtlight (Chronicles of Elantra #2)
  • The Dawn Star (Lost Continent, #3)
  • Liar's Moon (Thief Errant, #2)
  • Blue Fire (Healing Wars, #2)
  • The Trouble with Demons (Raine Benares #3)
  • The Mage's Daughter (Nine Kingdoms, #2)
  • Voice of the Gods (Age of the Five, #3)
  • The Laurentine Spy
  • Brighid's Quest (Partholon, #5)
  • Heroes at Risk (Hero, #4)
  • Ashling (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #3)
Meteorologist turned novelist, Maria's been writing fantasy and science fiction since she was bored at work and needed something creative to do. A dozen novels and numerous short stories later, Maria's learned a thing or three about writing. She’s been on the New York Times bestseller list, won a half-dozen awards, and has earned her MA degree in Writing from Seton Hill University where she's been ...more
More about Maria V. Snyder...

Glass (4 books)
  • Storm Glass (Glass, #1)
  • Spy Glass (Glass, #3)
  • Shattered Glass (Glass, #3.5)

“When we reached the beach, Leif fell to his knees with a dramatic cry. "Solid ground! I'll never take you for granted again."
"Are you going to kiss the sand?" I asked.
"Don't be ridiculous."
"Now I'M the one being silly?"
"Yes.”
61 likes
“There are certain people I trust no matter what. Even when it seems like they've turned into monsters, you need to stay true to them. Because, in the end, they'll be the ones backing you up.” 39 likes