Start by marking “Mouse, Look Out!” as Want to Read:
Mouse, Look Out!

Mouse, Look Out!

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  61 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
This gently suspenseful picture book invites children to join a game of chase. Through lush, gorgeous twilit scenes, a little mouse searches for food and a soft spot to sleep. A sly black cat follows silently behind. But the hunter should beware, too, for something is watching and waiting in the dark. The shadowy hues of Norma Burgin's art complement the pleasingly ominous ...more
Published September 1st 1998 by Dutton Juvenile (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Mouse, Look Out!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mouse, Look Out!

Molly
Nov 18, 2008 Molly rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A good choice for storytimes for older preschoolers. "Gently suspenseful" is a very apt description, as readers cheer on a little mouse trying to evade a cat. There are many wonderful vocabulary words here; 'creaked and moaned'; 'peeping';'raggedy'; 'tangled';'tattered'; and 'frayed' just to name a few. So, this is an especially great pick for vocabulary focused early literacy storytimes.
Renise Black
Sep 30, 2014 Renise Black rated it really liked it
A fun, suspenseful read that kept myself and my five-year-old daughter gasping until the last page.

Illustrations are particularly wonderful. I liked the setting of an old rundown abandoned house. It gave a different point of view a different location to introduce to my daughter.it really is a very clever story.

My girls completely have fun every time you read this book
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I loved the cute illustrations!! The story wasn't much, though alert children should spot the extra critter hiding in most of the pictures. Too bad it's out of print-- I'd like a copy for the illustrations.
Tressa Sands
Sep 07, 2015 Tressa Sands rated it it was amazing
Can we commend the illustrator? It was beautiful. Just beautiful. The story was fun and even a little suspenseful, even for me. It even rhymed, which is always fun to read. The ending was the perfect plot twist. Loved this book!
The Brothers
Feb 12, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
Shelves: cats, mice
A well-written story that uses a lot of vocabulary enhancing words (for a little one) without being to onerous. Asher especially liked being able to shout, "Mouse look out! There's a cat about!" every time it came up in the story.

Beautiful illustrations. Look for eyes everywhere!
Michelle
Jun 19, 2014 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Beautiful artwork! This is comparable to Jan Brett! The mouse and cat were so realistic. The only thing I found odd was that was cat looks like a kitten at the beginning of the book and then an adult cat. Also the ending was really random!
Vasha7
Quite lovely pictures, for a suspenseful tale of a mouse and a cat in an abandoned house. I like it myself, can't say how a small child would react.
Kim
Mar 04, 2013 Kim rated it liked it
The illustrations are stunning! There is not as much interaction between the mouse and the cat as I would have liked. There is a surprise at the end!
Elizabeth
Aug 08, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
I loved this book as a kid, the pictures are amazing! To be honest I loved the illustrations more than the story ;)
Sq.Hill Library
Feb 14, 2008 Sq.Hill Library rated it really liked it
Shelves: erin
An older picture book, but would work well in storytime. Has a repeating phrase, kind of reminds me of Inside Mouse, Outside Mouse, painted illustrations which are lovely.
J. Renee
J. Renee rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2012
Beverly
Beverly rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2014
Ruth
Ruth rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2009
Coral
Coral rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2008
~*mandy*~
~*mandy*~ rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2013
Serena McGlashen
Serena McGlashen rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2009
Maija
Maija rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2016
Peacegal
Oct 26, 2012 Peacegal rated it liked it
Great illustrations!!
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2011
Hannah Jane
Hannah Jane rated it did not like it
Aug 14, 2014
Nancy
Nancy rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2012
Abigail Cieslak
Abigail Cieslak rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2015
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2009
Laura rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2014
Joanna
Joanna rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2011
Seth Holler
Seth Holler rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2015
Cws
May 20, 2009 Cws added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jear
JEAR2-Wai
Beth
Beth rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2012
Arline Erven
Arline Erven rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2016
Keir Bridges
Keir Bridges rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2015