Start by marking “The New Journalism” as Want to Read:
The New Journalism

The New Journalism

Tom Wolfe introduces a wide range of journalistic reportage by writers including Truman Capote, Terry Southern, George Plimpton, Norman Mailer and Hunter S. Thompson.
Published January 1st 1973 by HarperCollins Publishers

Richard
May 12, 2008 Richard rated it really liked it
For the most part, what you find in this book is probably not Literature but I would say that it's great selection of feature articles from its era and it's a great resource as a whole, as far as giving someone insight into the world that existed a decade before his (my) birth. So, even if it never materialized as the literary phenomenon Wolfe thought it was, this collection serves to provide insight into the attitudes of Americans in the late sixties and early seventies vis-a-vis a wide spectru ...more
Rodrigo
Jul 22, 2008 Rodrigo rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008
Na verdade gostei mais do ensaio de Tom Wolfe sobre o Novo Jornalismo do que as matérias que fazem parte do livro Radical Chique e o Novo Jornalismo. Minha birra com Tom Wolfe é justamente a linguagem: a idéia é legal, mas me parece que ele exagera. E de certa forma, vemos que isso fica mais claro no ensaio sobre o tão comentado novo jornalismo.

Wolfe argumenta que à época que surge o novo jornalismo, falta um romance que explique a sociedade americana da época (é preciso conferir e não tenho o l
Manik Sukoco
Dec 30, 2015 Manik Sukoco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great authors writing short stories from the 60's & 70's. This is a wide slice of the mid-century New Journalism epoch. It features charged work from every major player (including Terry Southern and others curiously ignored in Weingarten's overview). The predictions in Wolfe's manifesto haven't panned out as pervasively as he expected - if anything, today's writerly writers, by and large, are more gimmicky, narcissistic and insulated than ever - but that's capital-L Literature's loss, and th ...more
Ryan Williams
Nov 18, 2012 Ryan Williams rated it liked it
Highlights: pre Gonzo Hunter S. Thompson (on the Hells Angels), post-Gonzo Hunter S. Thompson (on the Kentucky Derby); Nicholas Tomalin and Michael Herr (both on the Vietnam war); Truman Capote (on murder in Kansas).

Middling pieces: Joan Didion (on the 60s), Terry Southern (on baton twirling), the normally impressive Gay Talese (on broadway).

Tedium: Tom Wolfe's two pieces.

Why on earth wasn't John McPhee's work included in this collection?
Domhnall
Jun 06, 2014 Domhnall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tom Wolfe introduces this anthology of writing with a discussion of the [ostensibly] universal ambition among writers to gain the respect of their colleagues and readers. He argues that, in his day, novelists still had the top position in the hierarchy of writers, journalists the lowest rung on the social ladder, and he sets out to challenge this [unsatisfactory] situation radically. "A writer needs at least enough ego to believe that what he is doing as a writer is as important as what anyone h ...more
Ale Vergara
Disfruté, sobre todo, la primera parte: esa en la que Tom Wolfe habla sobre el nuevo periodismo, sobre el fenómeno que fue y sobre el posicionamiento del movimiento. La segunda, la antología, me parece a ratos un tanto irregular. Sin embargo, hay fragmentos que me gustaron bastante: el reportaje sobre las bastoneras, por ejemplo o el fragmento de "Izquierda exquisita" del mismo Wolfe.

Hay, en este libro, algo que me parece muy curioso: El nuevo periodismo se publicó en 1973, muy poco tiempo despu
Rodrigo Vigo
Jan 16, 2012 Rodrigo Vigo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La dignificación del Periodismo

¿Qué demonios pasa?, se preguntó un joven reportero Tom Wolfe en 1962, luego de leer un artículo de la revista Esquire. Lo que tenía que ser una historia relatada con la rigurosidad (y, aceptémoslo, monotonía) propia del periodismo más hierático empezaba más bien con el montaje de una escena conforme a un relato. Salvo el desfile de unos cuantos datos a la manera propia del periodismo viejo, lo demás muy bien podía leerse como un relato de ficción. Salvo que no era
Josefina
Mar 19, 2017 Josefina rated it liked it
Lento por ser viejo, de ideas un poco reiterativas. Igualmente bueno, pero las 3 estrellas van porque no fue especialmente interesante o "engaging". Le daría 2,5 si pudiera.
John
Nov 11, 2016 John rated it really liked it
This book was the premise for a course I took at Hobart College. It really opened my eyes.
Kennedy
Oct 31, 2014 Kennedy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kennedy by: Course Literature: Creative Nonfiction
Having just read The New Journalism by Tom Wolfe, I’m compelled to say something about it, but not inspired. Nonetheless, you’ve gotta love an anthology and that’s what this is; a slice out of time with Tom Wolfe as an excellent curator. He’s a straight shooter and firsthand participant, which makes him a somewhat convincing historian, however that’s the thing about his story, any history; it’s as true as our collective memory.
Not knowing much about Tom Wolfe, nor having read anything he’d writt
Jess Leslie
Feb 16, 2017 Jess Leslie rated it it was amazing
I will spend the rest of my life re-reading this book. (I know I said that I would take Truman Capote's ANSWERED PRAYERS with me to a desert island, but were I allotted two books, this would be the second...)

In TNJ, journalists hysterically, bizarrely, fearlessly write themselves into their own stories. It's a commonly used magazine article device now, but going back to the form's origins is where all the fun waits. (After all, if it's Hunter S. Thompson writing himself into a story, no one's sa
FiveBooks
Investigative journalist Nick Davies has chosen to discuss Tom Wolfe's The New Journalism , on FiveBooks as one of the top five on his subject - Investigative Journalism, saying that:

“When this was first published, news writing was written in a very strict, often quite staid style. New Journalism used a range of literary techniques commonplace in fiction, for example the use of dialogue or first-hand narrative. At that time they were virtually unheard of in news writing. Tom Wolfe wrote an essa
Tom
Jun 21, 2011 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an almost uniformly strong collection of pieces, and as good a primer as one could reasonably ask for. It's pretty light on female writers - only Joan Didion and Barbara L. Goldsmith, and at the very least Didion warrants a second entry - but much of the early nonfiction canon is here: Hunter S. Thompson (twice), editor Wolfe (twice), Capote, Plimpton, Talese, Michael Herr, etc. And the pieces from which I didn't expect much still managed to deliver something even if they didn't blow me ...more
Chinaski
Jan 23, 2015 Chinaski rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eua, son-la-ley
Durante años, los profesores de comunicación y periodismo en las universidades, incluso los grandes editores, jefes de mesas de redacción, entre otros, han exhibido a este libro como el mejor producto final del oficio noticioso y reporteril. Desde el título, el lector recibe una lección que página tras página perdurará con los diálogos críticos y sin tapujos. El libro resulta una importante referencia del periodismo en viejos y nuevos tiempos y seguramente de los venideros pues su discurso ha lo ...more
Jessica
Jul 09, 2015 Jessica rated it it was ok
This has not aged well. This is less a useful anthology of the origins of creative nonfiction and more of a relic of the hyper-masculine world of reporting in the days before women and minorities were allowed into the newsroom. But more than this, even the excerpts from works that have lasted (such as Capote's In Cold Blood) are weak selections (the one exception to this is Didion's "Slouching Toward Bethlehem"). Many of the articles are full of juvenile writing devices like onomatopoeia that ma ...more
Jackie Snow
Jan 11, 2015 Jackie Snow rated it it was ok
Perhaps exciting at the time, the picks for New Journalism mostly come off as a very dated writing style. Tom Wolfe comes off like he is absolutely in love with himself and his perspective, mostly by including 5 sections he wrote for the book and 3 selections of his writing. Also dated–All the picks are white and all but Barbara Goldsmith and Didion are men. There are certainly a few stand outs, like The Kentucky Derby is Decadent and Depraved, Paper Lions and Martin Luther King is Still on the ...more
Kelsey Andrews
May 03, 2014 Kelsey Andrews rated it liked it
Wolfe's Preface gives one of the best explanation of "New Journalism". I don't think I could have written my paper without it. The term New Journalism is very confusing and even those within the field at times don't seem to know what it means. Wolfe's provides a simple explanation and supplements it with examples (occasionally followed by his analysis). Simply put: he lists the principles that makes New Journalism and shows the best of it at work.
Matt
Apr 20, 2008 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"In April of 1965, in the New York Herald Tribune's Sunday magazine, New York, I had made what I fancied was some lighthearted fun of the New Yorker magazine with a two-part article entitled "Tiny Mummies! The True Story of the Ruler of 43rd Street's Land of the Walking Dead!" A very droll sportif performance, you understand. Without going into the whole beanball contest I can tell you that there were many good souls who did not consider this article either lighthearted or sportif."
Rob Bailey
Jul 22, 2012 Rob Bailey rated it it was amazing
An essential compilation of a radical journalism which left a lasting legacy on the industry. The focus on telling facts through the techniques of fiction mean that these stories, written about events 50 years ago, remain fresh. Among the familiar names (Wolfe, Thompson, Capote) some less well known writers stand out. Joe Ezsterhas' report on shootings in a rural town is a remarkable piece of work... And stands in strange contrast to his later career.
Bill Daniels
Jan 24, 2015 Bill Daniels rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The late sixties and the early seventies were wonderful times for a functionally literate reader. So many great writers were pushing the boundaries on style and subject matter.

Michael Herr and John Sack covered Vietnam and brought a whole new perspective to covering war.

This book was published in 1973 and compiles many pieces I had read as they were published.
Andy Theyers
I can't recommend this highly enough. A collection of journalism pieces from Wolfe, Capote, Thompson and many many others that not only writes about a radically changing America, but is itself a radical change to the way news was presented.
James Boocock
Jan 25, 2010 James Boocock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not only does it contain Tom Wolfe's essay (which should really be required reading for anyone considering journalism as a career) but you also get a superb collection of long form journalism from the mid '50s to the early '70s.
Xavi
Aug 23, 2015 Xavi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Los ejemplos del nuevo periodismo recopilados por Wolfe son imperdibles. Sigo fascinado con el retrato del Sur de A la rica marihuana y el increíble ejercicio de Como se vende un Presidente. Maestros.
Johnny
Mar 01, 2008 Johnny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The foundation of present day journalism and documentary film-making--every current investigation conducted by a reporter driven to "experience" the condition/situation at hand owes a debt of gratitude to Wolfe and his contemporaries
Ekaterina Pushkareva
Вот это было хорошо. В книге маленький кусочек теории от самого Вулфа. Все остальное - журнальные статьи различных авторов, на примерах которых хорошо показаны тонкости стиля и смысл "новой журналистики" вообще.
Michael Hussey
Jul 23, 2011 Michael Hussey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book seems dated now. But there is some really great writing in the book. It is interesting readi ng about an era when young journalists were trying to reinvent storytelling. Now we live in the era of Fox News, blogs and tabloids. How media has fallen.
Juan Carlos
Dec 03, 2013 Juan Carlos rated it liked it
It is a great essay about journalism and could be great for those jornalism student who like to discover new forms of combine literature and no-fiction.
Derrick Goold
Aug 30, 2011 Derrick Goold rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book that I pulled off a shelf in Oxford, England, in 1995 and it forever changed my view of Journalism. I read it at least four times that summer over pints and again on my flight home.
Hank Stuever
Jul 14, 2013 Hank Stuever rated it it was amazing
Formative, to say the least. With that great quote in Wolfe's opening essay about feature writers, "all competing for the tiniest crown in the world: Best Feature Writer in town."
Lisa
Jul 08, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it
This is an outstanding collection of essays from the New Journalism movement. It introduced me to Joan Didion, Hunter Thomoson and Tom Wolfe.
  • The New New Journalism: Conversations with America's Best Nonfiction Writers on Their Craft
  • Toxic Sludge Is Good for You: Lies, Damn Lies and the Public Relations Industry
  • Hidden Agendas
  • The Art of Fact: A Historical Anthology of Literary Journalism
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Literary Journalism
  • The Elements of Journalism: What Newspeople Should Know and The Public Should Expect
  • The Gang That Wouldn't Write Straight: Wolfe, Thompson, Didion, Capote, and the New Journalism Revolution
  • Noblesse Oblige: An Enquiry Into the Identifiable Characteristics of the English Aristocracy
  • The Strawberry Statement: Notes of a College Revolutionary
  • Dispatches for the New York Tribune: Selected Journalism
  • Selected Poems, 1947–1995
  • Who I Was Supposed to Be: Short Stories
  • Feeding Frenzy
Wolfe was educated at Washington and Lee Universities and also at Yale, where he received a PhD in American studies.

Tom Wolfe spent his early days as a Washington Post beat reporter, where his free-association, onomatopoetic style would later become the trademark of New Journalism. In books such as The Electric Koolaid Acid Test, The Right Stuff, and The Bonfire of the Vanities, Wolfe delves into
More about Tom Wolfe...