Start by marking “Forbidden (Medieval Series #2)” as Want to Read:
Forbidden (Medieval Series #2)

Forbidden (Medieval #2)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,651 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews
Forewarned
Throughout the Disputed Lands she is called "Amber the Untouched" - a chaste, golden-haired beauty fleeing the remarkable love that was prophesied at her birthand the death that must inevitably follow.

Foreseen
He comes to her in darkness, as had been foretold - a wounded warrior with no memory...a promised lover seared by passion's fire, irresistibly drawn to the
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Forbidden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forbidden

Val⚜Shameless,  Bitchy, Skanky, & Not Sorry⚜ Mrs. ClayDanvers/RemingtonTate
11/16/15: Continuing my Medieval re-read extravaganza...

5 Old School Favorite Stars

This is one of those books you read when you were younger and love to read and re-read over and over.

Now, due to this, I'm not sure if it really is as good as I think it is...or if the series just has a special place in my heart. So keep that in mind...

FORBIDDEN

description

“In shades of darkness he will come to you. If you touch him, you will know life that might or death that will...Be therefore as sunlight, hidden in
Meredith
Dec 21, 2013 Meredith rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, man. This one was rough. I'm pretty sure I have read and liked her stuff in the past but after this one it's hard to see why.

Admittedly, I don’t like medieval romances as a rule—I didn’t even like “For My Lady’s Heart” by Laura Kinsale, and people have puppies over that one. Everyone has the things they like in books and this time period isn't one of my favorites. So I was a bit disposed to dislike this from page 1.

Basic Premise: Amber the Untouched is cursed. When she touches people, she
Kathie (katmom)
Feb 09, 2013 Kathie (katmom) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this! THIS is what love scenes should be...wowza...

And there's ROMANCE and MYSTERY and just a touch of HEART FAIL.

I totally wanted to smack "Duncan"...the boy was just too honorable for his own amnesiac self...GROWL!

The only "hole" in the story was how to deal with the unwanted bride...I had THAT figured out long before THEY did...lol

The UST here was amazing and then it was RESOLVED...and again I say: WHOA...seriously.

Yes, I'd read this again...and again!

Edited: I did just read it again.
Laura V.
Si hay algo que me gusta, es que un libro me provoque escalofríos. Que pueda sentir tan fuerte las emociones de los personajes que lo viva en carne propia.

Si bien, el principio no me convenció mucho, porque Amber está absolutamente colgada de Duncan, la segunda parte o el "cuando-las-cosas-se-complican" me gustó mucho más. Me gustó ver cómo el deseo se pone a prueba, como el honor juega un papel importante, cómo el dolor y el sufrimiento cobran vida.

Me dolió y me convenció el dolor de Amber y l
Leah
May 22, 2012 Leah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
Another reread. Still wonderfully in love with this series that I first read in the 90's. I love the druid aspects of the story and the notion of mist being a wavering, thin link to another time and place. Duncan and Amber take you on a trip of tender love that turns to hate because of deceptions, then onto a rough road of understanding and acceptance that takes you back to the purest love. Elizabeth Lowell says it best in the epilogue:

"It was a story of loss and daring, of an unLearned warrior
Hasnamezied
Oct 21, 2015 Hasnamezied rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok I admit that the first part of the book was boring but with the entering of Simon, Dominic ,Meg and Ariane, it started to get really interesting . I can say that it was a nice book. no more no less
Sarita
Aug 10, 2010 Sarita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm thinking if I had read this instead of listening to it I would have enjoyed it even more. I found it a BIT repetitive only in it's phrasings and sayings, and that got a bit annoying. I was going to give this one a 3 star rating about half way through, but I found myself sucked into the story 3/4 of the way, and my ipod hooked to my arm while I did chores so I could finish it. :-)
Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave
I liked this. I didn't realize it was a sequel to Untamed until I was half-way through the book. I read Untamed years ago and then remembered the bells on Meg and Dominic training her like a falcon. This was a good book. I don't know how factual it was. But hey it's a medieval romance not a historical epic intended to educate.

I did kind of feel like the hero needed to redeem himself a bit more. I would not have been so forgiving. He was all too willing to give her up for the other woman's dowry
Lover of Romance
Amber is known as the "Forbidden". Amber is one of the 'Learned", and there is a prophecy that if Amber ever gives the three parts of her self; Body, Heart and soul, then death will be in her future. Amber has always been well protected, and if she ever touches another, it gives her pain, as she can sense emotions by touch. Then one day, a man who has lost all of his memory, a wounded warrior, enters her life, and as she brings him back to health, an unbreakable bond forms between Duncan and Amb ...more
Sabrina (Soter) Sally
"Era la storia di un amore che sbocciava inaspettato, così come inaspettato era fiorito il sorbo sacro, infondendo la vita in tutto ciò che sfiorava."

Secondo della serie, devo dire che non mi ha soddisfatta del tutto. Ancor più che nel precedente, qui la magia la fa da padrone con contorno di profezie, presagi e frasi sibilline... Il potere di Amber è davvero particolare, infatti riesce a captare le emozioni delle persone con un semplice tocco, subendo però un doloroso "contraccolpo". La sua nas
Ivie Isler
Jun 01, 2014 Ivie Isler rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, audiobooks
Definitely not one of my favorite books. I don't know if it as the audiobook narrator, the plotline, or the genre, but I didn't care for it too much.

I think I didn't like where multiple times throughout the book, characters were told what the consequences would be if they did a certain action. Then the characters would do that action and be stunned when the consequences caught up with them. Seriously?!?!

For example, Duncan was told Amber was a virgin, but he "knew" that she wasn't. (She was know
Jane Stewart
The story drags too much. Several times I found myself speed reading to get through it faster.

I did not care for the plot which was about a man with amnesia, who falls in love, hates her after he regains his memory, but returns to her in the end. Maybe this plot would be ok if done by another author, but it was not enjoyable the way it was done here. I also found the ending too abrupt. I would have preferred knowing what their life was like after they got together and how the alliances among Dom
Dawn Livingston
I read this many years ago and decided I wanted to read it again because I remember liking it.

Well, I still like it but it does come across a bit corny, like romance novels often do I suppose., but I like the story, the characters (more or less). It's a great book for an interesting story that is completely fluffly i.e. it is not hard to read, you don't have to remember stuff, it's completely not taxing, something to read when you want to read and relax but you want something you don't have to
~Leslie~
Mar 22, 2014 ~Leslie~ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book-nook, re-read
2nd time reading this book and I liked it all over again. It's been awhile since I read the first book however, so it took me awhile to remember what was going on. I love the flow of the story and the language EL uses. I also love the supernatural theme to the story and especially the characters she creates. Amber is such a sad character - never being able to be touched. And the passion she feels for Duncan is overwhelming and beautiful. Now I'm excited to re-read the third in the trilogy.
Jamie
Jun 04, 2013 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is still one of my most favorite books in the entire world and I wish she would finish this series! I obviously re read it about every year or so just so I can go through this journey with Amber and Duncan! If you like medieval romance that Elizabeth lowell has struck a home run out of the park with this book, you have loss of memory, with determined love, with pain, betrayal, more pain, love, and additional characters to suck you into the next in the series. MUST READ
Kimchi
Never to love or be touched without knowing the persons evrey thought. Never embracing anyone without their touch harming you. Until a strager comes from out of nowhere. His thoughts do not hinder you. His love embraces you comforts you.. to the point where you would give your soul to keep that one moment. To surrender all, at the cost of losing your life. That is what this book is about. I must admit that i cried during this book, and reread it often.
Maureen Feeney
Feb 14, 2010 Maureen Feeney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book of EL Medeivel Triology,the first being "Untamed" and the third "Enchanted".I wont go into plotdetails s it has already been done brilliantly.
Although I didnt like it as much as Untamed , it is still outstanding.
Maddux
This is the second time I've read this book. I really enjoy this author's descriptive, seductive narrative. It is prettily done.

And don't you just love when hard-headed warriors come to life for their women?
Aug 27, 2012 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Amber meets a mysterious stranger who may fulfill her prophesy, blah blah. This one is my fault. I hate medieval romance. I was on a plane! (For real, Carrie! Still not an excuse.)
Julia
Oct 27, 2012 Julia rated it it was amazing
Wow, the twists and turns of all things in this book was amazing. The moments that touched me were the moments that touched the characters...
Victoria (nocturnalintimacy)
Jane

This book has been an amazing follow up to the first book and a beginning of love for books by Elizabeth Lowell whom I have just discovered!

If you enjoy a good tear jerker, angsty and sweet in equal parts, then this is the book for you, as it had been the book I have been looking for.

The plot is simple and not original, but well used.
Duncon, our Hero is struck by lightening and forgets who he is.
Mysteriously, he's stripped of all of his possessions and left beneath a rowen tree in the sacred c
Shannon
Rating: Buy it...necessary addition to personal library.

First Line: He will come to you in shades of darkness.

Based on my first couple book selections it may seem as if all I read is fluff fiction, but I swear that is not the case. The deal is that when my life is particularly stressful, I turn to easy fiction as an escape. Considering I am attempting to pay off a little under $150,000 in law school loans through my job as a bartender while volunteering at the Public Defender's office and taking
Beverly Wiedemann
I enjoyed the story of this book, but the telling. The writing style was very awkward. (Possibly because it is older?)

One of the most annoying was the tendency to use the full name of each character each time he or she was mentioned. Similarly, if the character was known for something (an ability or for wearing a unique item) that tended to be mentioned nearly every time he or she spoke or moved.

I also found it interesting that for a romance novel, I want to skip the love scenes and get back to
Read'nwrit'n Wench
Amber the untouched and The Scott's Hammer what the hell!

Again what can I say I love your work and they way you make my reads a gruelling progress I love Duncan of Maxwell he is sooooooo dreamy.

The romance is so lovely and slow almost the way a lady should be ravished hahaha! I love the mystery of the Rowan trees in full bloom it truly does make one wonder hahaha.

I so wanted to lay the smack down on The Scott's hammer towards the end when he hurt Amber the way he did, when men get like that they
Preity
Apr 17, 2016 Preity rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was glad to know about Elizabeth Lowell, though let and read her stories. This too did not disappoint me. The setting of the story is amazing, it's story good and feel the love, betrayal, struggle, a promise made and loyalty...... that has been tried to portray is amazing the minute details. You are free to imagine it!
Ruth
So much glorious cheese I'm gonna have a heart attack and die. This is just full of all kinds of cheesy over the top melodramatic quasi-Druidic goodness. In no way is this good literature, but if you want some cheesy swoony hysterically awesome fluff and sexy times, there are worse ways to get it.
Misty
Mar 17, 2015 Misty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
Oddly Interesting yet insanely hokey. Had to finish it because I had to know what happened at the end with his memory. However, the lines were horrible. "Let me sheath myself in the heat between your creamy thighs". Really?!?!? Cheesy!
Annie
Oct 05, 2012 Annie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't finished it yet but it will be close run thing. I'll probably finish it just because I hate to leave anything half-done.

By pure luck, just as I was getting SO SICK of listening to that female moan and groan about the hero, I had a 7 day break so when I got back to it, it was actually into the next part of the story. I actually managed the end of the novel much better than the middle.

I've read the paper novel many years ago and I was trying the audio book. I can tell you a skip a lot of
Maura
  • By Arrangement
  • Keeper of the Dream
  • The Warlord (Montagues, #1)
  • For My Lady's Heart (Medieval Hearts, #1)
  • The Lion's Bride
  • Saxon Bride
  • Dream of Me/Believe in Me (Viking & Saxon, #1 & #2)
  • Risk Everything (The Blackthorn Trilogy, #3)
  • Midnight Warrior
  • Wild (Medieval Trilogy, #2)
  • Fires of Winter (Tales of Jernaeve, #2)
  • Winterbourne (de Macy, #1)
  • Master of Torment (Blood Sword Legacy, #2)
  • Fairest of Them All
  • The Ground She Walks Upon
  • Mystique
  • Candle in the Window (Medieval, #1)
  • Princess of Fire (Fire, #1)
19051
Individually and with co-author/husband Evan, Ann Maxwell has written over 60 novels and one work of non-fiction. There are 30 million copies of these books in print, as well as reprints in 30 foreign languages. Her novels range from science fiction to historical fiction, from romance to mystery. After working in contemporary and historical romance, she became an innovator in the genre of romantic ...more
More about Elizabeth Lowell...

Medieval (3 books)
  • Untamed (Medieval, #1)
  • Enchanted (Medieval, #3)

“A man with no name may you claim, heart and body and soul. Then rich life might grow, but death will surely flow. “’In shades of darkness he will come to you. If you touch him, you will know life that might or death that will. “’Be therefore as sunlight, hidden in amber, untouched by man, not touching. “‘Forbidden.” 0 likes