Forbidden (Medieval Series #2)

Forbidden (Medieval Series #2)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  2,021 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Forewarned
Throughout the Disputed Lands she is called "Amber the Untouched" - a chaste, golden-haired beauty fleeing the remarkable love that was prophesied at her birth�and the death that must inevitably follow.

Foreseen
He comes to her in darkness, as had been foretold - a wounded warrior with no memory...a promised lover seared by passion's fire, irresistibly drawn to the...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 1993)

Meredith
Oh, man. This one was rough. I'm pretty sure I have read and liked her stuff in the past but after this one it's hard to see why.

Admittedly, I don’t like medieval romances as a rule—I didn’t even like “For My Lady’s Heart” by Laura Kinsale, and people have puppies over that one. Everyone has the things they like in books and this time period isn't one of my favorites. So I was a bit disposed to dislike this from page 1.

Basic Premise: Amber the Untouched is cursed. When she touches people, she...more
Kathie (katmom)
I LOVED this! THIS is what love scenes should be...wowza...

And there's ROMANCE and MYSTERY and just a touch of HEART FAIL.

I totally wanted to smack "Duncan"...the boy was just too honorable for his own amnesiac self...GROWL!

The only "hole" in the story was how to deal with the unwanted bride...I had THAT figured out long before THEY did...lol

The UST here was amazing and then it was RESOLVED...and again I say: WHOA...seriously.

Yes, I'd read this again...and again!

Edited: I did just read it again....more
Sarita
I'm thinking if I had read this instead of listening to it I would have enjoyed it even more. I found it a BIT repetitive only in it's phrasings and sayings, and that got a bit annoying. I was going to give this one a 3 star rating about half way through, but I found myself sucked into the story 3/4 of the way, and my ipod hooked to my arm while I did chores so I could finish it. :-)
Sabrina (Soter) Sally
"Era la storia di un amore che sbocciava inaspettato, così come inaspettato era fiorito il sorbo sacro, infondendo la vita in tutto ciò che sfiorava."

Secondo della serie, devo dire che non mi ha soddisfatta del tutto. Ancor più che nel precedente, qui la magia la fa da padrone con contorno di profezie, presagi e frasi sibilline... Il potere di Amber è davvero particolare, infatti riesce a captare le emozioni delle persone con un semplice tocco, subendo però un doloroso "contraccolpo". La sua nas...more
Leah
Another reread. Still wonderfully in love with this series that I first read in the 90's. I love the druid aspects of the story and the notion of mist being a wavering, thin link to another time and place. Duncan and Amber take you on a trip of tender love that turns to hate because of deceptions, then onto a rough road of understanding and acceptance that takes you back to the purest love. Elizabeth Lowell says it best in the epilogue:

"It was a story of loss and daring, of an unLearned warrior...more
Jane Stewart
The story drags too much. Several times I found myself speed reading to get through it faster.

I did not care for the plot which was about a man with amnesia, who falls in love, hates her after he regains his memory, but returns to her in the end. Maybe this plot would be ok if done by another author, but it was not enjoyable the way it was done here. I also found the ending too abrupt. I would have preferred knowing what their life was like after they got together and how the alliances among Dom...more
Kimchi
Never to love or be touched without knowing the persons evrey thought. Never embracing anyone without their touch harming you. Until a strager comes from out of nowhere. His thoughts do not hinder you. His love embraces you comforts you.. to the point where you would give your soul to keep that one moment. To surrender all, at the cost of losing your life. That is what this book is about. I must admit that i cried during this book, and reread it often.
Maureen Feeney
This is the second book of EL Medeivel Triology,the first being "Untamed" and the third "Enchanted".I wont go into plotdetails s it has already been done brilliantly.
Although I didnt like it as much as Untamed , it is still outstanding.
Maddux
This is the second time I've read this book. I really enjoy this author's descriptive, seductive narrative. It is prettily done.

And don't you just love when hard-headed warriors come to life for their women?
Amber meets a mysterious stranger who may fulfill her prophesy, blah blah. This one is my fault. I hate medieval romance. I was on a plane! (For real, Carrie! Still not an excuse.)
Ivie Isler
Definitely not one of my favorite books. I don't know if it as the audiobook narrator, the plotline, or the genre, but I didn't care for it too much.

I think I didn't like where multiple times throughout the book, characters were told what the consequences would be if they did a certain action. Then the characters would do that action and be stunned when the consequences caught up with them. Seriously?!?!

For example, Duncan was told Amber was a virgin, but he "knew" that she wasn't. (She was know...more
Julia
Wow, the twists and turns of all things in this book was amazing. The moments that touched me were the moments that touched the characters...
Victoria (nocturnalintimacy)
Dawn Livingston
I read this many years ago and decided I wanted to read it again because I remember liking it.

Well, I still like it but it does come across a bit corny, like romance novels often do I suppose., but I like the story, the characters (more or less). It's a great book for an interesting story that is completely fluffly i.e. it is not hard to read, you don't have to remember stuff, it's completely not taxing, something to read when you want to read and relax but you want something you don't have to...more
Shannon
Rating: Buy it...necessary addition to personal library.

First Line: He will come to you in shades of darkness.

Based on my first couple book selections it may seem as if all I read is fluff fiction, but I swear that is not the case. The deal is that when my life is particularly stressful, I turn to easy fiction as an escape. Considering I am attempting to pay off a little under $150,000 in law school loans through my job as a bartender while volunteering at the Public Defender's office and taking...more
Lover of Romance
Amber is known as the "Forbidden". Amber is one of the 'Learned", and there is a prophecy that if Amber ever gives the three parts of her self; Body, Heart and soul, then death will be in her future. Amber has always been well protected, and if she ever touches another, it gives her pain, as she can sense emotions by touch. Then one day, a man who has lost all of his memory, a wounded warrior, enters her life, and as she brings him back to health, an unbreakable bond forms between Duncan and Amb...more
Beverly Wiedemann
I enjoyed the story of this book, but the telling. The writing style was very awkward. (Possibly because it is older?)

One of the most annoying was the tendency to use the full name of each character each time he or she was mentioned. Similarly, if the character was known for something (an ability or for wearing a unique item) that tended to be mentioned nearly every time he or she spoke or moved.

I also found it interesting that for a romance novel, I want to skip the love scenes and get back to...more
Read'nwrit'n Wench
Amber the untouched and The Scott's Hammer what the hell!

Again what can I say I love your work and they way you make my reads a gruelling progress I love Duncan of Maxwell he is sooooooo dreamy.

The romance is so lovely and slow almost the way a lady should be ravished hahaha! I love the mystery of the Rowan trees in full bloom it truly does make one wonder hahaha.

I so wanted to lay the smack down on The Scott's hammer towards the end when he hurt Amber the way he did, when men get like that they...more
Annie
I haven't finished it yet but it will be close run thing. I'll probably finish it just because I hate to leave anything half-done.

By pure luck, just as I was getting SO SICK of listening to that female moan and groan about the hero, I had a 7 day break so when I got back to it, it was actually into the next part of the story. I actually managed the end of the novel much better than the middle.

I've read the paper novel many years ago and I was trying the audio book. I can tell you a skip a lot of...more
Mary:   Harry Dresden's Love Slave
I liked this. I didn't realize it was a sequel to Untamed until I was half-way through the book. I read Untamed years ago and then remembered the bells on Meg and Dominic training her like a falcon. This was a good book. I don't know how factual it was. But hey it's a medieval romance not a historical epic intended to educate.

I did kind of feel like the hero needed to redeem himself a bit more. I would not have been so forgiving. He was all too willing to give her up for the other woman's dowry...more
Mrs.soule
Forbidden was a pleasant surprise – I expected it to be a fluffy historical romance which I usually hate, but it was surprisingly heart-wrenching in dealing with themes of betrayal and hope. The fighting was intense and the last several chapters seriously suspenseful. Only three stars because the language was a bit stilted at times and they seemed to be falling out of their clothes in open fields an awful lot considering the time period was not the 1970s. This is the middle book of a trilogy so...more
penelopewanders
This was lent to me by Anna, and it was a great read. I had read, traded and pretty much forgotten Untamed, which I also enjoyed. I appreciated the magic element in this tale, and thought the characters were very credible. In a way I almost wished this wasn't a classic romance with the compulsory happy end - Duncan annoyed me so much I felt he didn't deserve Amber at the end.. but that would be a different genre. I still have the third in the series on my TBR, thanks to Anna... will save that tr...more
~Leslie~
2nd time reading this book and I liked it all over again. It's been awhile since I read the first book however, so it took me awhile to remember what was going on. I love the flow of the story and the language EL uses. I also love the supernatural theme to the story and especially the characters she creates. Amber is such a sad character - never being able to be touched. And the passion she feels for Duncan is overwhelming and beautiful. Now I'm excited to re-read the third in the trilogy.
Bronwyn
Jamie
This is still one of my most favorite books in the entire world and I wish she would finish this series! I obviously re read it about every year or so just so I can go through this journey with Amber and Duncan! If you like medieval romance that Elizabeth lowell has struck a home run out of the park with this book, you have loss of memory, with determined love, with pain, betrayal, more pain, love, and additional characters to suck you into the next in the series. MUST READ
Mary
I love books of this time error and I stumbled onto her 1st book of this series through the digital libary. Glad I read/listened to them and hope and can get the 3rd. She does a great job pulling together the plot, descriptions are so alive with color and feeling you feel like you are right there with the characters. When you have to stop the book, you only wish when coming out of that world that you were right back in it. Its a great old world romantic story/series.
Sandra
Duncan and Amber. Duncan was Meggie's (book 1) childhood friend. Amber the untouched can read people's emotions and feelings. She is untouched because touching people, or being touched, causes pain. Duncan is found by Erik (Amber's brother spoiler) in the stone circle, naked, unconscious and with amnesia. They marry because Duncan takes Amber's virginity (much to Amber's happiness) and discovers that he the enemy.
Susan
This book is a wonderful mix of romance, historical fiction and fantasy. In this book we meet Knights, Lords, and Sorcerers all dealing with the threat of trouble from the English King. Oh, and get a twisting love story to boot.

This book has some very steamy love scenes. I definitely would recommend reading this book but only if you are not offended by this type of graphic writing.
Diana
An unconscious warrior is brought the Amber the Untouched. When he awakens, he has no memory of who he is or of his past. However, Amber knows that he is the one in a prophecy, who will either save her or destroy her.

Very interesting supernatural elements. The beginning part is enjoyable to read, with tenderness. However, once Duncan recovers his memory, it becomes very uncomfortable to read.
Kim
Once again, Elizabeth Lowell didn't disappoint. I hadn't read any of her historical romance stories before. I like them, although not as much as her jewel (modern day) ones. This one has a bit of the mystical in it (I guess that's what to call it). It wasn't too much for me, but might be a turn off to some.
Good characters and nice romance.
  • The Warlord (Montagues, #1)
  • By Arrangement (Medieval, #4)
  • For My Lady's Heart (Medieval Hearts, #1)
  • Midnight Warrior
  • Bold Angel
  • Keeper of the Dream
  • Beguiled (Clan Mackenzie, #4)
  • Seize The Dawn (Graham, #3)
  • Lord of Danger
  • Fairest of Them All
  • Master of Torment (Blood Sword Legacy, #2)
  • Wicked (Medieval Trilogy, #3)
  • Till Dawn Tames the Night
  • Risk Everything (The Blackthorn Trilogy, #3)
  • The Lover
  • The Last Arrow (Robin Hood, #3)
  • The Diamond Tiger
  • Dream of Me/Believe in Me (Viking & Saxon, #1 & #2)
19051
Individually and with co-author/husband Evan, Ann Maxwell has written over 60 novels and one non-fiction book. There are 30 million copies of these books in print, as well as reprints in 30 foreign languages. The novels range from science fiction to historical fiction, from romance to mystery to suspense.

In 1982, Ann began publishing as Elizabeth Lowell. Under that name she has received numerous p...more
More about Elizabeth Lowell...
Untamed (Medieval, #1) Amber Beach (Donovan, #1) Die in Plain Sight (Rarities Unlimited, #3) Enchanted (Medieval, #3) Jade Island (Donovan, #2)