Start by marking “Word Warriors: 35 Women Leaders in the Spoken Word Revolution” as Want to Read:

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  265 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Female spoken word artists have become the spokeswomen for a new generation. This demanding oral poetry of the early 21st century has defined a vanguard of lithely muscled voices; women who think and act decisively to create their distinctive and desperately earned realities. The combination of the eminent slam movement and the upsurge of bold underground feminism has crea
Kindle Edition
Published (first published September 28th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Word Warriors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Word Warriors

Cole
Sep 30, 2010 Cole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
corrections:
there are 35 writers included, not 25 like goodreads would lead you to believe. also, the book is 409 (with some change) pages longer than it says here.

pros:
+ excellent format. with each writer there is an essay/introduction they have put together for a book and two pieces of poetry. the essays are one of my favorite aspects of this book as they give a different sort of insight to each poet.

+ a fantastic variety of people. without seeming like a checklist, there are people of diff
Leah Horlick
I wish this book had come with a CD, because as much as I enjoyed reading the poems, I miss the ferocity of hearing a slam poem off the page. Marty McConnell's essay on moving beyond "You go, girl!" and challenging female poets to challenge eachother has really stuck with me from this collection.
Mark Eleveld
A review by Mark Eleveld, published by ALA Booklist in 2007
Seal Press
ISBN 13—978-1-58005-175-0

As the poetry slam and spoken word stages continue to grow world-wide, so do the anthologies of these living, performing, treasures—poets. ‘Word Warriors’ is a welcome addition. Organized to record women in poetry, the selections are ent
icing, irreverent, complex and ‘holy’ compelling. Each poet offers an essay or interview relating to p
Oct 25, 2008 Sarah marked it as on-and-off-again  ·  review of another edition
i bought this a few weekends ago when i drove to columbia to visit the Peace Nook and loved it so much that i couldn't bear leaving without buying a WHOLE LOT of stuff, including this book which i could have just as easily bought at left bank at 35% off. but i LOVED them! and isn't that the point of independent bookstores? you should support them instead of going somewhere where you get a better discount. even if it's also an independent bookstore.

anyway. to talk about the actual book. i'm still
Joyce
Oct 23, 2009 Joyce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: minority, poetry
Not the anthology of angry feminist poets I was half expecting. While a lot of the poems were just okay for me (though, I think that had to do more with me reading them rather than hearing them performed), a few did really resonate with me a great deal. Some poets were surprisingly successful in getting their message across without sounding like an angry feminist. Also, a good number of the poems weren't even explicitly about feminism. A number of minority issues were addressed in this collectio ...more
Dwayna Paplow
This is what every anthology should be - eclectic and yet relevant. The best part of this book is each poet's personal essay. Each essay is only a few pages long, but together they cover lots of topics, ideas, and emotions. Issues such as... asking ‘why write?’ or ‘ why perform?’, being transgender, competing in slam poetry, musing about race, raising the quality of art, rejecting labels, teaming up with other artists, etc. Read this if you are a woman or a writer. Read this if you feel young, j ...more
rachel
Apr 01, 2008 rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Or at least, I got to read most of it... had to return it to the library. I will be purchasing a copy, for sure.

I was expecting some decent writing, with some pieces that would strike me, perhaps some very bad writing... as I have experienced in other anthologies. But no... Every author had incredible pieces in there. Plus, each author wrote a little blurb about themselves, etc... it was great. There was a lot of writers I recognized and have read elsewhere (such as Michelle Tea and Alix Olson h
S10_tommccormack
This collection of essays and spoken word poems by women is a powerful response to the misogynistic culture of mainstream hip-hop. (Aya de León’s essay is especially relevant.) Alix Olson has assembled an impressive mix of feminist spoken word voices. The book presents a gritty yet empowering vision of what it means to be a woman in the United States today. Students will be drawn to the iconoclastic, anti-authoritarian tone. The book contains graphic content, so it would only be appropriate for ...more
Kelley
Jul 07, 2011 Kelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-2011
This anthology was a really interesting collection of slam poetry that my mom picked up at the Michigan Womyn’s Music Festival. The poems range the gamut from relationships to abuse to growing up and everything in between. Some of the poets did not really hold my interest and the book took a while to read through but for a poetry anthology (which I don’t read a lot of) I thought it was really insightful. In fact, I think it is the kind of book I have to read twice to really understand everything ...more
Ocean
Apr 28, 2010 Ocean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
mostly-really-good poetry (although some of it seemed kinda lackluster on the page, i'm sure it's all great when performed live). the real selling point of this book is the essays in between the poems. and, oh my god, suheir hammad's poem "first writing since" is the only thing i've EVER read that sums up my feelings on 9/11 both as a heartbroken new yorker AND someone who has compassion for the rest of the world...holy shit. i cried on the bus. it's amazing.
Meen
Dec 02, 2008 Meen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: las feministas
Recommended to Meen by: Alix Olson's MySpace page
I don't have my notebook with me, or I would just list a hundred different things I wrote while reading this book. Mostly, though, it wasn't the poetry that was so great about this book ('cause that ranged from orgasmically good to yawn-inducing). It was the essays and their stories. It's just an inspirational work and an excellent reminder of how revolutionary it is for women to speak shout their minds!
Kristin
Apr 17, 2009 Kristin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
As I read this book, I found myself more interested in the interviews and essays that preceded the actual poems. I enjoyed learning about how different writers became poets as well as the stories about the influential people in their lives. These introductions reminded me that poetry resides within many of us if we just push through the fear long enough to put pen to paper or to step onto a stage for the first time.
Ganesh
Sep 11, 2008 Ganesh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
The book includes marvelous, soul-searching essays by slam poets. Many of them write about how they found and cultivated their voice. I drew a lot of inspiration from the essays.

The books also includes poetry, which is probably amazing when performed live, but on paper, very little resonated with me.

The essays are so phenomenal that the book still gets five stars from me.

Marie
At night when I am exhausted from the day, I read this book and the poetry and essays are amazing. After reading them, I feel powerful, creative. I only wish I could hear them perform the poetry because I have heard a couple and they are so much MORE when hear aloud. Pick this up!
Uglyoldwitch
Jan 26, 2009 Uglyoldwitch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alix is my GIRL. This is a great anthology of spoken word, but it also reads well, too. (some slam poets do NOT read well) Alix, Bitch, Ellen Maybe, StacyAnn Chin... all the great, current voices. I keep going back and re-reading it...
Natalie
Feb 07, 2010 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I owned a copy of this book. It was lent to me last summer and I liked learning about spoken word female poets that I did not know about and learning about the ones that I did (Michelle Tea, Staceyann Chin, Alix Olson, to name a few).
Vanessa
May 07, 2009 Vanessa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was a great sweep of women spoken word poets. covers a lot of ground. julia, you would probably like this book. more woman centered reading to come. its been a while since i went on this kind of spurt, it feels good.
Franki Acevedo
Own it!
Reading it!
Loving it!

I think my favorite piece is "Titular" by Rachel Kann

This will probably change as I am jumping back and forth throughout the book.
Kevin
Jul 31, 2008 Kevin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Karen Garrabrant ROCKS! She is the wind beneath my willows.
Carisa
Nov 24, 2010 Carisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book really inspired me, both creatively and personally.
Miami University Libraries
King Library (2nd floor) | PS589 .W77 2007
Trista
Dec 31, 2012 Trista rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
one word and that is,INSPIRING!!!!
Theresa
Dec 10, 2008 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am mentioned in this book!!!
katemfs
Mar 04, 2009 katemfs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super rockin.
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Hunter
Hunter marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Cassie Fleurs
Cassie Fleurs marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
  • Women of Color and Feminism: Seal Studies
  • Word of Mouth: Poems Featured on NPR's All Things Considered
  • Directed by Desire: The Collected Poems
  • The Spoken Word Revolution (slam, hip hop & the poetry of a new generation)
  • Look Both Ways: Bisexual Politics
  • We Don't Need Another Wave: Dispatches from the Next Generation of Feminists
  • The Work of a Common Woman: The Collected Poetry of Judy Grahn, 1964-1977
  • Surrealist Women: An International Anthology (Surrealist Revolution Series)
  • Aloud: Voices from the Nuyorican Poets Cafe
  • I'll Drown My Book: Conceptual Writing By Women
  • Final Girl
  • Fast Speaking Woman: Chants and Essays
  • Whores and Other Feminists

“we did not vilify all white men when mcveigh bombed oklahoma. america did not give out his family’s addresses or where he went to church. or blame the bible or pat robertson.” 0 likes
“and when we talk about holy books and hooded men and death, why do we never mention the kkk?” 0 likes