Fear: 13 Stories of Suspense and Horror

Fear: 13 Stories of Suspense and Horror

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  427 ratings  ·  75 reviews
Don't turn out the lights. Don't go out alone. And whatever you do, don't let down your guard. Because your neighbors might seem normal, but why do they collect knives and eat their steaks so bloody? And when the boy of your dreams finally asks you out, why is there something so . . . lupine . . . about him? And if your brother's fear of the dark is so childish, how do you...more
Published September 2nd 2010 by Dutton Juvenile (first published August 7th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Fear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fear

Last Sacrifice by Richelle MeadCrescendo by Becca FitzpatrickNightshade by Andrea CremerTorment by Lauren KateAwakened by P.C. Cast
Christmas Wish List 2010
130th out of 289 books — 281 voters
The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Maze Runner by James DashnerSwitch! The Lost Kingdoms of Karibu by Karen  Prince
Best YA to Appeal to Boys
211th out of 513 books — 391 voters

More lists with this book...

Danna
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I thought I should start this review out by screaming since that is what the book started out by doing. I really liked this anthology because of two reasons: R.L Stine is awesome and I LOVE horror books (can you tell from the way I love zombies so much?).
I can’t really say good/bad things about the whole book (since it has a bunch of stories by a bunch of authors mashed into it) so I’m just gonna say that some of...more
Nicole
Just a bunch of silly, not at all scary stories. They might have been scarier if I were 12, but even then, I don't think this would have been that scary to me!! I got excited when I came across this at the bookstore in the mall because I grew up loving R.L. Stine books and some of the authors are some of my faves(Meg Cabot and Heather Graham to name a couple) but needless to say I was not even remotely entertained by their stories. *Note to Heather Graham: Please stick to writing Paranormal roma...more
Carol Storm
Most of the stories in this collection are mediocre, and a couple of the big names (Meg Cabot and Heather Graham) are clearly phoning it in. But there is one story called "Dragonfly Eyes" by Alane Ferguson, that is a beautifully written experience that will make you cry!
Nelson lim
I thought that this was a great book because it wasn't like one long boring story that you have to wait for the end or the middle for the intresting parts. But in this book you only need to read for a short period of time to get to the instresting part. I also really liked the stories but it didn't freak me out but i still liked it. I choose this book because I really like R.L.Stine's book because it aucually keeps the reader stuck to the book. When I first looked at the book I thought that it w...more
Dannielle
Dannielle Nebinski (Fear: 13 Stories of Suspense and Horror)
Genre: Short Stories

Fear, is full of spine chilling tales about werewolves, vampires, cannibalistic children, and so much more.Things that seem to start out normal, such as an innocent baby sitting job for the neighbors, or a first date, or even a having a younger brother who is afraid of the dark, all turn out to be more than meets the eye, and cause you to start to think about how "normal" all of your own surroundings are!

This collect...more
Julia

I have not written a review in a while because recently all the books that I have been reading have not really been worth such a long and extensive re-view. Well, this one is.

When I was browsing through the shelves I noticed a book called 'Fear', if your book is called fear I am totally thinking that your book is going to be at least a little bit scary. Then I saw that the author that coordinated it was R.L Stine I'm thinking, "awesome this is gonna be good." But the best part of the book was ma...more
Susan
Pretty good selection of stories. Of course in an anthology, some were better than others, some I really liked (Jeepers Creepers, The Night Hunter, Ray Gun), some were very clever (Tuition, Piney Power, Tagger) and others grossed me out (The Perfects). All in all an entertaining read!
Shania Jones
This book is incrediably amazing. I enjoyed reading 13 different stories that are heart racing scary stories. This is thecbest book yet that i have read by R.L. Stine and 12 other authors. One of my favorite stories in the book was about a boy who works at this fast food resturaunt and these geoup of teens who are about his age and comes in and ask for free drinks and his boss is a mean old man! One day the group decides to play a prank on the boy just to see if he's tough enough. They want him...more
Donna
Holy snot monkeys, I LOVE YA horror. The category is sorely lacking in all that is horror. Even if it's more compilations like FEAR, I'll take it. It makes me want to curl myself up in a blanket of nostalgia with a flashlight and read all night.

I always find it a little difficult to review anthologies like this because the writing in each story can vary so widely and quite frankly I don't want to nitpick short stories. So I'll review the book as a whole: phenomenal.

Stine knows his fear so when h...more
Antonio
If you love reading scary movies and have a good imagination you will love this book because the book Fear has short stories all about scary things and have you really into your book, that it will not want to make you stop reading. I would recommend this book if you love to read horror books and if your a big fan of the book Goosebumps. If you don't like scary things I would not read this book.

In the book Fear by R.L. Stine when you read this book the first story starts off slow and seems like n...more
Jimmy
Heather
I was very let down by this book but a couple of the stories were good enough that I'm glad I trudged through the others to get to them. Also, if you do pick this book up, don't read the introduction. It gives away just a little too much on one or two stories and robs the reader of the surprises.

"Welcome to the Club" is okay but had so many twists and false leads that by the time it finally settled I was rolling my eyes.

"She's Different Tonight" I liked. It isn't one of my favorites from the col...more
Monster
A great line-up of well-known paranormal authors, including Heather Graham, R.L. Stine, and Heather Brewer, contribute tales that would make a perfect addition to any slumber party or campfire. While technically aimed at the young adult age group, most of these short stories are quite tame and could be read by middle-graders.
Some of my personal favorites include Jennifer Allison's The Perfects. In this tale, Hannah and her family have recently moved, and it isn't long before she's asked by a nei...more
Tarantino A
This suspense/horror book is a really good read because is about thirteen different stories that have suspense and horror in them to make you want to read more to see what happens. One of the stories that I am reading is called “The Night Hunter” it is about a teen named Nina and she works with a girl named Angela at a store in Calder Mall and the store is named Overton’s, and the store manager is Angela’s mother which is said in the story, just after the characters are introduced there is a ban...more
Mark Soone
Do not excpect an R.L. Stine book as he only writes one of these stories. Some are so-so, some are ok some are very good indded. A nice blend, and a good diversion for hooror, Y/A and short story fans. I would have rated this 3.5 (3.47 is my rating) had that been an option, but 4 felt to high, so I erred with a 3.

1- R.L. stine- Welcome to the club- 4 stars
A very fast paced and enjoyable read, with several different twists about whom is fooling whom. When the end comes, a little imagination is re...more
Jacob
When I first pick out this book I thought it would be cool to read because I like a mystery book. It gets me excited and push me to read more because I want to see what is going on in the book. But after reading the book it was not what I have suspected to be, I thought it was going to be scary like the title said (FEAR). That's why I gave it a 3/5. But some of the stories did have me at the edge of my seat. So many good suspense one had me thinking twice about what really was going on. That's i...more
Belle
This review originally appeared at http://bellesbookshelf.blogspot.com/

I was drawn to this book by nostalgia.

I loved R.L. Stine's Goosebumps series as a kid, so it was his name that initially caught my attention. Then, when I discovered it was a collection of scary short stories, I got even more excited, coz I used to devour these types of books, too.* Fear, a Middle Grade collection of 13 stories linked by the common theme of fear, was an entertaining read but sadly not all that frightening (ma...more
Cindy
Fear is a YA anthology filled with 13 stories of suspense and horror. Each of the 13 short stories were contributed by some of the top names in the YA/adult literature. There are stories written by James Rollins, R.L. Stine, Meg Cabot and other big names in literature.

Here is a detailed overview of all 13 stories contained in the anthology.

Welcome to the Club by R.L. Stine

This is a typical R.L. Stine story. A bit of suspense with a twist at the end. For long time readers of R.L. Stine the sto...more
Mary
Really, it's a 2.5 rating...

I am not the type of person that likes scary stories; in fact, I hate them. But for some unknown reason, I felt drawn towards this book. I wanted to try and read something different...

...and I felt very dissapointed.

I was expecting this book to be more, you know, scary . But it turned out to be a compilation of 13 stories that are not at all scary. For example, let's take The Night Hunter . I found this story more romantic than scary or thrilling.

I have to admit...more
Sharon
I'd love to give it 3 and a half, and if I was a 12 year old boy, I bet it'd get a four or even a five. I think the first story is the weakest one, which is why it took me so long before I read the whole thing. Like any anthology, it's got strong points and weak ones, but the strongest ones were actually really good--either very clever, very scary, or just very on the nose.

So while I wouldn't suggest this for most adults, I would put this at the top of a to-read list for a tween who's into thril...more
Jourdan
I only picked up this book because I'm trying to read all of James Rollins' works, so the only story I read in this anthology was Tagger. So my rating of 4 stars is for that story only and not the overall book.
Autumn Szabat
The first few stories reminded me of really long jokes and the ending the punch lines. Each story had me engrossed, wanting to keep reading. All of the stories were interesting and some i found a little funny. Shadow Children had me kind of freaked because i was all alone, reading by my lamp. It had me looking at shadows and making sure i turned on a light before i went anywhere in my house. Dragonfly Eyes was rather saddening for me, talk about out-of-body experience. Tuition was another quite...more
Rachael Sharp
Most stories were not as frightening as I had hoped, and they all had happy endings.
A
As in anything with multiples, some are good and some not so good. The same can be said for this book.
I wasn't too impressed with the first two stories, but the third one, "Suckers" by Suzanne Weyn, had me chuckling out loud--it was great! But, the rest were just ehhhh. I know the R.L. Stine audience is a bit younger than high school, but I just don't think Fear is appropriate for these stories. Meg Cabot's story was a good superhero romance story, but it wasn't scary. "Piney Power" by F. Paul Wilson created a cool setting and interesting characters. "Jeepers Peepers" by Ryan Brown had me re-rea...more
Yuritza
I say this book in did had quiet some stories.
Erica
The book wasnt scary but it was good! JM
◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj
Since I'm a huuuge R.L.Stine fan, I had to read this. This book had some pretty awesome stories, even if some were predictable or not really scary. My favourites include: "Welcome To The Club", "Suckers", "Perfects" and "The Night Hunter".

I gave it 3 stars because I expected the stories to be more chilling and I ended up skipping over some. But I still enjoyed these short stories a lot. If you are a fan of stories that make you shudder and give you nightmares-this book is perfect for you.
Maria
I normally dont go for these kind of books, buutttt, im glad i picked this one up and read it. Its got some good suspenseful stories in here! And if thats what you are looking for then go for it.
  • Horowitz Horror: Stories You'll Wish You Never Read
  • Tales of Terror: 58 Short Stories Chosen by the Master of Suspense
  • A Banquet for Hungry Ghosts: A Collection of Deliciously Frightening Tales
  • Sigma Guide
  • Devil's Footsteps
  • End of Days (Night Runner #2)
  • Friends: Stories About New Friends, Old Friends, And Unexpectedly True Friends
  • Darkness Creeping: Twenty Twisted Tales
  • Mayhem (Mystyx, #3)
  • What You Wish For: A Book for Darfur
  • The Black Heart Crypt (Haunted Mystery #4)
  • The Witches' Kitchen
  • Eve of Destruction (Dark Eden, #2)
  • He Is Legend: An Anthology Celebrating Richard Matheson
  • Life on Mars: Tales from the New Frontier
  • Half-Minute Horrors
  • Vanishing and Other Stories
  • Extremities: Stories of Death, Murder, and Revenge

R. L. Stine b...more
More about R.L. Stine...
Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1) Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7) Say Cheese and Die! (Goosebumps, #4) The Haunted Mask (Goosebumps, #11) One Day at Horrorland (Goosebumps, #16)