Start by marking “The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot #4)

4.18  ·  Rating Details ·  71,025 Ratings  ·  4,146 Reviews
Roger Ackroyd was a man who knew too much.

He knew the woman he loved had poisoned her first husband. He knew someone was blackmailing her ― and now he knew she had taken her own life with a drug overdose.

Soon the evening post would let him know who the mystery blackmailer was. But Ackroyd was dead before he'd finished reading it ― stabbed through the neck where he sat in h
Paperback, Masterpiece Edition, 299 pages
Published April 2nd 2002 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published June 1926)

To ask other readers questions about The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Steve
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jennifer Oberth I would also say yes, they'll appeal to you. It's not like trying to read Shakespeare where you need a translation for every line. I just finished…moreI would also say yes, they'll appeal to you. It's not like trying to read Shakespeare where you need a translation for every line. I just finished reading 'Mousetrap' and had no problem following everything and I didn't struggle to do so. I highly recommend Agatha Christie.

And don't watch that 'Doctor Who' episode until you've read 'Murder on the Orient Express' - spoilers.(less)

Madeline
Jan 10, 2014 Madeline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I went into this book with a bit of an attitude. Roger Ackroyd is the only Agatha Christie book featured on the list of 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die, and I was skeptical about the List's claim that this was the only Christie book worth reading. But, as much as it pains me to say this, I think the List is right on this one. At least a little - I'm definitely not suggesting that you should read this book and then never pick up a Christie novel ever again, but if you find yourself in a s ...more
Mohammed Arabey
Sep 23, 2016 Mohammed Arabey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Arabic/English Review

في 15 سبتمبر/ عيد ميلاد ملكة الجريمة، ذات أعلي مبيعات لمؤلفة في التاريخ، والتي جعلت أجيال "حرفيا; تذكر ما ذكرته بريفيو سابق عن أنها مؤلفة والدتي المفضلة" تخمن دائما من الفاعل

في 16 سبتمبر/ جودريدز يرشح لي تلك الرواية كأكبر مفاجأة بنهايتها

في 17 سبتمبر/ تم العثور علي السيد روجر أكرويد مقتولا

وفي 18 سبتمبر دخل المحقق بوارو، وأنضممت معه لمرافقة دكتور شيبارد وأخته الرائعة كارولين ببلدة كينجز أبوت الصغيرة
في قصة حزينة..قاسية وقبيحة مشوقة وجميلة!؟
“The truth, however ugly in itself, i
Arah-Lynda
Aug 15, 2016 Arah-Lynda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery Lovers Everywhere
Shelves: top, i-said, paperwhite
Wow just Wow! Agatha Christie had me from the first page, hook line & sinker and she never lost my attention until the very end. No wonder this is considered to be one of her very best.

I do not want to say too much about this book, I mean the title pretty much tells you what it is about and to go too much further into any details runs the risk of spoilers. If there are others out there, like me, who are late in the game of reading this I do not want to spoil that experience for them in any w
Sanjay Gautam
Dec 30, 2015 Sanjay Gautam rated it really liked it
A mystery that lasts till the last page and ends with an unprecedented plot twist.

One of the favorite books that I read in 2015. Nothing much can be said about the story or plot, or anything for that matter, without dropping a major spoiler. But trust me, it's bloody clever. Agatha Christie will leave you dazzled. One of her finest.

Highly Recommended!
Ebookwormy
Jun 09, 2014 Ebookwormy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Just finished a re-read of this classic. I remember the first time I read it, the twist at the end knocked my socks off! My second thought was: "Agatha Christie understands evil in a way that is a little frightening!"

This time through, I remembered how it turns out (which is not always the case!), and was able to watch the clues with the murderer in mind. An astonishingly masterful piece of work.

When it was first published, in 1926, this book caused quite a stir, because no one had ever used thi
mark monday
Choose Your Own Adventure!

You are a country doctor living in a cozy English village - and your friend has been murdered! Suspects abound. Whispers and secrets and dastardly blackmail surround you. Your sister prattles on. The situation becomes increasingly aggravating and even worse, your nosy and very foreign neighbor decides to make your private business his own. His bizarre Belgian behavior soon becomes quite intolerable. Whatever is a country doctor to do?

If you decide to take a nice long tr
Nikoleta
Feb 15, 2016 Nikoleta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, classics
Η αλήθεια είναι πως έχω συναντηθεί με την Αγκάθα Κρίστι και στο παρελθόν, αλλά μπορώ να πω, πως μόνο αυτές τις ημέρες την γνώρισα. Ο λόγος είναι ότι όταν την διάβασα στην προεφηβεία, το τελευταίο πράγμα που είχα στο μυαλό μου είναι να λύνω φόνους. Και έτσι στο πέρασμα του χρόνου την λησμόνησα και την περιφρόνησα. Όταν πριν λίγες μέρες έπεσε στα χέρια μου ένα βιβλίο της και δέχτηκα να το διαβάσω, έπαθα πλάκα. Η Κρίστι είναι σαν την ηρωίνη, έτσι και πέσεις σε ένα βιβλίο της θα θες κι άλλο. Δεν το ...more
Richard Derus
Jul 06, 2014 Richard Derus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4* of five **THIS REVIEW IS FOR THE AGATHA CHRISTIE'S POIROT EPISODE AS WELL AS THE BOOK**

The Publisher Says: In the village of King's Abbot, a widow's sudden suicide sparks rumors that she murdered her first husband, was being blackmailed, and was carrying on a secret affair with the wealthy Roger Ackroyd. The following evening, Ackroyd is murdered in his locked study--but not before receiving a letter identifying the widow's blackmailer. King's Abbot is crawling with suspects, includin
Bill  Kerwin
May 03, 2016 Bill Kerwin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This Hercule Poirot is a genuine tour de force, for a very good reason that you completely understand as soon as you finish reading it.
Josu
Jul 27, 2015 Josu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-julio
Leída en dos sentadas, es una de las novelas de misterio que más me han gustado. La verdad es que no es un género que lea normalmente, pero sí que me va conquistando poco a poco, y creo que es la novela justa para hacer que me enamore del género y continúe con él durante más tiempo.

A Agatha Christie tan solo la había catado con Diez negritos, y pese a gustarme, eché en falta un final que cambiase completamente la historia. Y El asesinato de Roger Ackroyd lo ha conseguido. Cada detalle está medid
Poonam
Aug 08, 2016 Poonam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Soo, I have heard a lot of wonderful things about this book and about this great ending. I am a huge fan of Agatha Christie stories and they are the "Perfect" cozy mysteries for me. Whenever I read a cozy mystery, I end up comparing it to Christie novels.

My personal favorites are And Then There Were None , Murder on the Orient Express. If you haven't read these, go ahead and give them a try.

So as this book is counted in top 1000 mystery books, I definitely wanted to be ahead of Christie or sho
Ali AlShewail
سجلّوا عنى , دا من أقصر المراجعات اللى هكتبها لكن أظن إنه يوفى بالغرض و يوصل قصدى كويس أوى :

الرواية دى عبقرية و مذهلة لدرجة انها تستحق فعلا انها تكون بداية التعامل بين أجاثا كريستى و بين دار النشر اللى فضلت تنشرلها رواياتها لمدة تزيد عن خمسين سنة :)
Mashael Alamri
Dec 02, 2008 Mashael Alamri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: translated
قررت ترتيب مكتبتي ( المخربطه ) فسحبت الرواية هذه وقلت في نفسي من زمان عن أغاثا كريستي (مع إني كنت مغرمه فيها ) جلست ع الأرض جنب المكتبه قلبت في الكتاب قليلاً وبعدين بديت أقراء لم أعيده إلا حينما عرفت من قتل (روجر أكرويد) فعلاً أغاثا عجيبه في الحبكات الكل متهم والكل لديه دوافع قتل التفاصيل الصغيره للجريمة تهتم بها الغوص داخل أعماق الشخصيات الحس الفكاهي اللذيذ الوصف الدقيق غير الممل للأماكن كل ذلك يجعل من روايات أغاثا كريستي أفلام على الورق :)

إستمتعت وتمنيت لو أنني أقتني باقي روايات أغاثا كريستي
Jenny
May 23, 2016 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Βγάζω το καπέλο στην Αγκάθα-ειλικρινά,δεν υπάρχει περίπτωση να βρει κανείς τον/την ένοχο/η!!Καθόμουν και κοιτούσα την παράγραφο της αποκάλυψης σαν χάνος,μέχρι που έβγαλα κι επιφώνημα έκπληξης μέσα στο τραίνο!Διάβαζα και ξαναδιάβαζα την παράγραφο.

Η ιστορία είναι καλοδουλεμένη,οι ρυθμοί γρήγοροι κι ο κύριος Πουαρό απολαυστικός!Νομίζω ότι έχω αρχίσει να διακρίνω ένα κλασικό μοτίβο στις ιστορίες που πρωταγωνιστεί,το οποίο βρίσκω πετυχημένο.Βλέπω ότι χαρακτηρίζεται ως ένα από τα δημοφιλέστερα και καλ
Shahad
حسبي الله عليكي يا أجاثا :D

رواية جبارة بشكل مو طبيعي ، ما أظن أبدا في رواية لها أقوى من هذه ، طبعا خابت كل محاولتي للتخمين وسببتلي النهاية صدمة نفسية p: ،، ويكفيني صراحة وجود بوارو في الموضوع أحب هذه الشخصية جدا :)

لحظة الدهشة والشهقة اللي تصاحب معرفة الحقيقة عندي بالدنيا وما فيها :)

واعلم يا رعاك الله :) أن أجاثا كريستي لا تكتفي بكتابة الرواية البوليسية لإمتاعك فقط ، بل إنها تصحب ذلك بتحليل ونظر في دواخل النفس البشرية وما يعتريها من ضعف وغيره ،،، وهذا فن في حد ذاته D:

ذو الحجة هـ
Kat Kennedy
She got me! That cheeky beeotch! She got me!
Junta
Feb 23, 2016 Junta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Junta by: And Then There Were None
I'm not very experienced in crime/mystery novels - I read them for light-hearted entertainment between general fiction (this time I needed some air after Steppenwolf). I loved And Then There Were None (link to review), my first Christie novel, last year so I bought three of her acclaimed works at the recent book fair.

The things I like about Christie's writing are:
- that it makes you feel like you're on the scene yourself
- the characterisation: even if ten characters are introduced at the start a
Chris_P
I've been the victim of a terrible idiocy! When I started reading The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, a certain individual among us accidentally told me who the killer is. To be more specific, she mentioned the killer's profession. OK, angry as I was, accidents happen. The next day, she told me she got it wrong the first time and rushed to make the correction! In other words, she accidentally revealed who the killer was, then realized she didn't, and instead of leaving the matter be, feeling relieved n ...more
Stacey (prettybooks)
This post is part of the 2016 Classics Challenge.

WHEN I Discovered This Classic
I received it in 2012 for Christmas. I'm not sure why I asked for this one in particular, but it's likely that I scrolled through Goodreads to see which ones were her most popular (it's currently her fifth most read book).

"It is completely unimportant. That is why it is so interesting."

WHY I Chose to Read It
It was time for my annual dose of Agatha Christie! I've (mostly) read one a year for the classics challenge: Mu
Brad
Sep 13, 2010 Brad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chris Simkulet
I love it when a mystery fulfills my desires rather than my expectations, and I have always loved the way that Agatha Christie planted clues so that the careful reader could figure out the mystery. At around page 110 I figured out who the killer was (and I have NO problem with that), but I rejected the thought because, well, it just didn't make sense with what I know about 20s' mystery writing.

Which, apparently, isn't much at all.

Agatha Christie gets much stick for being a bit of Stephen King
Mohammed  Ali
Sep 22, 2016 Mohammed Ali rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
سأكتفي بجملة واحدة تلخص هذه الرواية بأكملها..من الذي قتل السيد روجر أكرويد ؟
Barry Pierce
Another all-round enjoyable Christie novel and the first time that I've ever guessed whodunnit! I'm getting good at these. Memorable for a twist ending that may cause kidney failure in the unknowing reader.
Ashley
Up until the ending, I really did not understand why this book is widely considered to be the best (or at least the top five) of Christie’s books. Then it happened, and I was like WHAT!?

Actually it was more like a double what, because not only was it a really daring ending, especially for being published in 1926, but I actually guessed the murderer! That has never happened to me before. I am THE WORST at guessing mystery endings. I am gullible and trusting and passive as a reader. Authors: take
Chiara Pagliochini
« Prendiamo un uomo, ad esempio, un uomo comune. Un uomo che non ha alcuna idea delittuosa nel cuore. Ma in lui, nelle profondità del suo animo, c’è un punto debole, una tara morale. Questa tara non è mai affiorata e forse non affiorerà mai... »

Credevo che la mia opinione su Agatha Christie, vecchia compagna di liceo, fosse ormai consolidata, cristallizzata. La mia personale classifica piazzava nelle prime due posizioni “Dieci piccoli indiani” e “Assassinio sull’Orient Express”, capolavori indis
L.A. Starks
Oct 03, 2015 L.A. Starks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book by Christie. Glad this was on the monthly recommendation list for the mystery/thriller/suspense group.
Bắp Chuột
Apr 30, 2016 Bắp Chuột rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thực tế thì vài tháng gần đây mình không mua sách của NXB Trẻ để coi như 1 sự phản đối nho nhỏ (và tất nhiên là trong vô vọng) đối với loại giấy xốp mà họ đang sử dụng để in. Đó là 1 loại giấy rất đau thương :| Nhưng cuối cùng vẫn ko kìm đc cõi lòng lúc chọn để được tặng cuốn này khi trúng giải của 1 trò review dạo linh tinh trên fb :3 Với sự thiếu kiên trung ấy thì có lẽ mình không thể làm 1 chiến sỹ cách mạng đc :))

Mình thấy nhiều người bảo truyện của Agatha cứ tẻ tẻ sao ấy, điều này có thể do
Abbey
Ahhh, the infamous Roger Ackroyd! Christie got ENORMOUS press for her plotting in this one, and a lot of it was NOT good - loads of her regular fans were really PO'd at her for using a twist that "nice" mystery writers of the day (mid-1920s) didn't use. There was even a list of the "Don't" things for a writer including her particular hook in this book, and her flouting that convention angered many other writers (and readers) who felt she didn't "play fair". But the brouhaha really spiked her sal ...more
Branwen Sedai *of the White Ajah*
Feb 05, 2015 Branwen Sedai *of the White Ajah* rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
"You mock yourself at me," said Poiro,t smiling; "but never mind. The old ones they laugh last sometimes, when the young, clever ones do not laugh at all."

Whooooooo was this a whopper of a mindfuck mystery! It had me fully entranced and kept me guessing (wrongly, as usual) as to who the killer was the whole time. And what a surprise the ending was! This book is pure mystery genius. If you read just one book by Agatha Christie, make it this one!
Rita
Os ingredientes comuns a (quase) todos os livros de Agatha Christie, e que explicam o seu sucesso indubitável, são: uma cena do crime com uma ou mais mortes, um ou vários assassinos, todas as personagens são suspeitas, um detective brilhante para resolver o caso e uma explicação lógica e inesperada. "O Assassinato de Roger Ackroyd" revelou-se a excepção, pelo menos para mim.

Raramente, muito raramente, descubro quem é o assassino, mas desta vez descobri e logo nas primeiras páginas. Não foi nada
Adita ✨The Slumbering Insomniac✨
Dec 27, 2015 Adita ✨The Slumbering Insomniac✨ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who wants his reading-life to be complete.
5.1 STARS
Ka-boom. Isn't that how you usually feel after reading a masterpiece? Isn't that how you feel after reading an Agatha Christie- Hercule Poirot mystery? Isn't that how I am feeling right now, after reading my very first Agatha Christie novel? Darn' tooting, yes!!!

description

Add to it, the feel of floating in the seventh heaven..because *drumrolls* I just deciphered the cue *no spoilers to aid me- I was left to my own devices* even before the point where the rest of the world would have got an in
  • Clouds of Witness (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #2)
  • Malice Aforethought
  • Pearls Before Swine (Albert Campion Mystery #12)
  • The Doorbell Rang (Nero Wolfe, #41)
  • L'aiguille creuse (Arsène Lupin, #3)
  • The Poisoned Chocolates Case (Roger Sheringham Cases, #5)
  • Died in the Wool (Roderick Alleyn, #13)
  • The Return of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #6)
  • The Three Coffins (Dr. Gideon Fell, #6)
  • Trent's Last Case (Phillip Trent, #1)

More about Agatha Christie...

Hercule Poirot (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2)
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #6)
  • Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9)
  • Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)
  • Three Act Tragedy (Hercule Poirot, #11)

“The truth, however ugly in itself, is always curious and beautiful to seekers after it.” 189 likes
“It is completely unimportant. That is why it is so interesting.” 103 likes