Dumb Witness

Dumb Witness (Hercule Poirot #16)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  7,816 ratings  ·  344 reviews
Everyone blamed Emily's accident on the stairs on her dog, but she was convinced someone was trying to kill her. She wrote to Poirot with her suspicions on April 17th, but the letter did not arrive until June 28th, by which time she was dead.
Unknown Binding, Facsimile of first edition
Published January 3rd 2007 by Not Avail (first published 1937)

To ask other readers questions about Dumb Witness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dumb Witness

Shireen
Agatha Christie, as usual, weaves a good tale. This one is unusual as a dog is one of the characters and even has a speaking part. For a dog lover, it's a great addition to the normal all-human mystery plot.

I had early on in my rereading of Dumb Witness remembered who the murderer was, but I couldn't remember the exact reason. Oh, the obvious one was there; but the underlying motivation, the driving emotion, now that continued to elude me right until the end. Knowing who the murderer was, I look...more
Nathan Trevor
This book is really important to me now. But not because of the story. So this review will be drastically biased, and I will explain why in a moment.

If you follow my reviews, it's no surprise to you that I am a super Christie fan, and yes, I'll admit, in my experience reading her books she can do no wrong! Every book I've read has been fantastic or at least worth reading. I love her style, her characters, and her in general. I actually have a poster of her on my wall, no word of a lie.
This book...more
Pants
How can I not love a book with a passage like this:
There was a parking area in the middle of the big square, though there were only a few cars occupying it. I duly parked the Austin, Poirot divested himself of his superfluous garments, and assured himself that his moustaches were in their proper condition of symmetrical flamboyance, and we were then ready to proceed. (Page 42)

Or a passage like this:
“I don’t know why dogs always go for postmen, I’m sure,” continued our guide.

“It’s a matter of rea
İlkim
Bu yorumu Kitap Esintisi adresinde bulabilirsiniz.

Kitabı bitirmeye yakın, yani Poirot insanları etrafına toplayıp neler olduğunu anlatırken "yuh, bunu nasıl düşünemedim" dedim. Aslında bütün herkesi tek tek katil olarak ele aldım ama asıl katilin yaptığı o büyük oyunu hiç anlayamadım. Her zaman Agatha kitaplarından sonra acaba ben mi dikkatsiz okudum, yoksa okurken bunun anlaşılması mümkün değil miydi diye düşünürüm. Sanki okurken o ipuçlarını yakalamam gerektiğini hissederim. Bunda da yakaladı...more
Madonna
What a delightful read! I'd forgotten how good Christie's books are. I've been reading too many modern detective stories. I'm planning to go back and read and reread Christie's titles once in a while, just to remember.
This was a good read. The title could refer to Bob the dog, but as I finished the book I realized it could also refer to Poirot's client--a dead woman. Poirot receives a letter months after it is written and the writer has died in the meantime. Was it deliberately mailed late or me...more
Duffy Pratt
Diverting and enjoyable. This was probably the most straightforward of the Christie books I've read, and it worked very nicely for most of the way through. And the solution wasn't ridiculously stupid, like with Murder on the Orient Express, or And Then There Were None. Basically, the setup is that a woman has an accident where she falls down the stairs. She suspects the accident was more than an accident and does what anyone would do under the circumstances: she disinherits her whole family and...more
Harshita
It a pleasure reading Agatha Christie. Really, after Sir Arthur Conan Doyle she must be the greatest crime writer! And her Hercule Poirot series is simply outstanding!

So in this book we are first introduced to the victims and suspects rather than Hercule Poirot. Miss Emily Arundell is an old rich frugal spinster who is disappointed with her heirs. Charles Arundell is her immoral though charming nephew who is always in need of many and has had many run-ins with the law. He has already threatened...more
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
The first english Agatha Christie book I read (I don't why this one was not published by RBA) and I enjoy greatly. I think that reading in portuguese are not as good as english. Or I am mistaken and this one is very good book and there's nothing with RBA translations.

This book begins with a third person view of a house with a rich lady and a dog and her spoilt nephews that want her aunts money.

I was interesting to read about Emily Arundell. She was a great strong female character. It's unfortun...more
Cheryl Landmark
I love Agatha Christie and particularly her little mustachioed detective, Hercule Poirot. He is delightfully vain, conceited, flamboyant and a little pompous, but remarkably shrewd, brilliant and intelligent, too.

This was another enjoyable read from a long line of clever mysteries by this author. Poirot and Hastings set out to discover if a dead woman's death was indeed natural as proclaimed by her doctor, or if a mysterious letter from the deceased received by Poirot long after her death would...more
Jgrace
Dumb Witness – Agatha Christie
Also published as Poirot Loses a Client and as Silent Witness,
Audio version performed by Hugh Fraser
4 stars

Poirot receives a letter from a distressed, elderly lady. She has reason to be afraid for her life. Unfortunately, she had forgotten to mail the letter. When Poirot seeks to investigate, he finds that the lady has been dead for some time. Although it appears to have been a natural death, Poirot is not convinced. Every member of the victim’s family is a poten...more
Stven
Sep 15, 2011 Stven rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery fans and Brit fans
Wonderful! This has everything I ask from an Agatha Christie novel. Poirot comes onstage after just two chapters of background in the case -- he's always the most interesting character in the book -- and the light shone upon the conventions of English family life and a bygone era of English society in miniature is deliciously illuminating. The psychology of Bob the dog is laid out without straying into the ridiculous, and the psychologies of a dozen types of people are portrayed amusingly and ac...more
Andrea Ika
Old Emily Arundell has an accident on the stairs,everyone blames the rubber ball which was left by her pet dog on the stairs. Soon after the accident Emily Arundell writes a letter to Hercule Poirot. This letter was written in month of April and meant to be posted. But Poirot recieves the letter in the month of June..by which Emily Arundell is dead. Everyone said that Emily's cause of death was natural. She was suffering from a long illness. Was this a death by natural cause or a MURDER ?
This w...more
Zakariah Johnson
Christie's alacrity in setting up plots shows she would have been a knife fighter in another life--get in, get out, set it up, lunge! Leave nothing to bog down the reader or trip up your footwork as an author. This is a tightly crafted story that's thoroughly grounded in character studies to provide the motivations and story arc. A bit dated in places, but very well done & one to study on how to properly craft a mystery.
Michael
I enjoyed it! It seemed to be less involved than some of Agatha Christie's mysteries, but it still kept me guessing through the whole thing.

I listened to an audiobook version while I crocheted, and (though I had to rewind a few times when I'd been distracted by counting or referring to the pattern) found it a very pleasant combination of interests. I'll need to do this again!

The audiobook version I listened to was read by Hugh Fraser. I thought the name seemed familiar, and when I heard his voic...more
Andy
The 16th Poirot mystery felt somewhat lacking and rather lazy to me. I liked the start where my favourite balding moustached detective digs around to determine if there has actually been a murder but after the initial set up has played out, he just moves from one potential suspect to another and we're left with a lot of talking with very little action. Characterisation is as strong as always (damn those foreigners!) but it just isn't that interesting.

Aside from an amusing talking dog (really), t...more
Ririn
3.5 *

Actually, I don't really felt the excitement of Poirot's investigation for this particular case. Maybe because the client has already been dead by the time Poirot took on the investigation, so the feel of rush was not there. And no one suspected that is was murder, except for Poirot, of course. All this started because of his curiousity.

But, the study of human nature was at its best. The way that Poirot used to gain information was really an art in itself. Different tack for different kind...more
Theresa
I thoroughly enjoyed this mystery! Agatha Christie keeps me guessing every time!

Who was it this time? Several family members stood to gain from the death of Dear Aunt Emily....and a servant/companion, as well! Can Hercule Poirot unravel the many possibilities, yet again?

Emily Arundell's will was a mystery to many after her death.

"But though Miss Arundell's death surprised no one, something else did. The provisions of her will gave rise to varying emotions, astonishment, pleasurable excitement, d...more
Christine
Agatha Christie is just like Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Bah. Hercule has Hastings, Sherlock has Watson. The know-it-all detectives work alongside their bumbling sidekicks. This Christie is about a old woman who is murdered. A dog and his ball figures into the plot. It led me read up on Christie's life. Apparently she married an archaeologist the second go-round. That's why archaeology figures so heavily in some of her books!
Matteo Pellegrini
Emily Arundell scrive a Hercule Poirot perché ritiene di essere stata vittima di un tentato omicidio. Sfortunatamente la lettera arriva in ritardo e quando Poirot la riceve, la donna è già morta da diverso tempo. Il suo dottore, che ha perso l’olfatto, dice che è morta per dei problemi al fegato che aveva da svariati anni.
La dama di compagnia di Emily, Miss Lawson, è la beneficiaria a sorpresa di un notevole quantitativo di denaro, visto che la Arundell aveva da poco cambiato il testamento. Il
Carol
Another top-notch Agatha Christie novel. How did she do it? The racist bits I could do without, but the plot was great and Poirot was in good form, mustache and all. Most of the time I related, sadly, to Hastings, who can't reflect long enough to discover the psychology of the criminal. Very enjoyable mystery.
The Antiquary
A million miles away from the invariably dull screen adaptations of Poirot. Elegant and clear prose that easily ropes you in, this is a perfect book to read if you've left a few duds unfinished and are tired of books. Hastings is a bit too annoyingly dense though.
Anoop Pai B
Well, i read a Hercule Poirot book after a gap of more than a year. So naturally, i was excited to get enthralled by Poirot and his order and method. Sadly, this book did not make me fall out of my chair. In short, i did not like this book!!!!
Michael A
I would rate this 3.5 more than 3.

I didn't find this one nearly as silly as the last one I read - that Poirot Christmas novel. The dog didn't play into it as much as I had hoped, but that is only a minor quibble.

I would echo several of the comments I read in finding the initial part the most interesting. That's because the idea of investigating a death happening two months prior was a novel idea for Christie to use, given that most murders in her books happen in the present. In addition to a puz...more
Christopher Bunn
This is not one of Agatha Christie's better efforts. I hold her in the highest esteem. Poirot is one of the more fascinating characters ever to have been created in the history of mysteries. However, Dumb Witness did not seem to be constructed with Christie's typical, sly plotting. The villain was too easily foreseen for this reader and, besides Poirot and Hastings, none of the other main characters (the suspects, of course) were all that likable or interesting.

One of the strengths of Christie's...more
D.G.
**3.5 stars**

This is the first book I've been able to finish in more than a month. My apathy towards reading hasn't gone away yet but I can always trust Agatha Christie to deliver. And she definitely did in this book.

The mystery was simple but very well done. I think I read this once (because I knew a clue that I wouldn't have figured out on my own) but didn't remember the murderer. Which was good because it came as a bit of a surprise at the end.

My favorite character in the book was Bob, the d...more
Desti Utami
Tidak bisa dibilang saya suka penjelasan akhirnya. Sudah sentimen duluan terhadap tokoh ahli waris :D
Andrea
This was an interesting twist on a classic sort of Poirot story in that the “client” is dead before the story really even begins. With family members eager to see their Aunt in the ground and her money in their hands, a small town full of interesting supporting characters, and our intrepid heroes Poirot and Hastings, this one moved quickly and kept it interesting right up until the end. I had no idea who the culprit was until the very end and the twists and turns kept me guessing. Also, BOB! Bob...more
Ines
Poirot gets a letter from a woman called Emily that wants to consult him because she believes her life is in danger. Poirot notices the letter was written a few months before he got it, and when he realises Emily is now dead Poirot decides to investigate.

I love Agatha Christie, but this is one of the few stories that stayed with me since the first time I read it. Maybe it was Bob the dog, maybe it was the reflection on the mirror that I got before Poirot. Anyway, it is a wonderful mystery that I...more
Patricia Rodrigues
É sempre agradável ler livros de Agatha Christie pois conseguimos ter histórias pequenas mas muito bem construídas.
Neste livro, temos mais uma vez Poirot em acção, após receber uma carta de uma potencial cliente, datada de uns meses antes. Intrigado com a data, resolve deslocar-se mas ao chegar aperceber-se que a dita cliente já faleceu (o que ainda intriga mais) e acaba por investigar o caso.
O livro é narrado por Hastings, o assistente de Poirot, e com o qual me identifico, pois também ele anda...more
Agatha Christie L...: January 2013 - Dumb Witness 63 119 Jan 30, 2013 10:11AM
  • The Floating Admiral
  • Night at the Vulcan (Roderick Alleyn, #16)
  • Agatha Christie: A Biography
  • The Rose and the Yew Tree
  • Black Is the Colour of My True Love's Heart (Felse, #6)
  • The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club (Lord Peter Wimsey, #5)
  • Agatha Christie
  • Behold, Here's Poison (Inspector Hannasyde, #2)
  • Agatha Christie
  • Sweet Danger (Albert Campion Mystery #5)

Agatha Mary Clarissa Miller was born in Torquay, Devon, England, U.K., as the youngest of three. The Millers had two other children: Margaret Frary Miller (1879–1950), called Madge, who was eleven years Agatha's senior, and Louis Montant Miller (1880...more
More about Agatha Christie...
And Then There Were None Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1) Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1) Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot, #17)

“I have often had occasion to notice how, where a direct question would fail to elicit a response, a false assumption brings instant information in the form of a contradiction.” 8 likes
“There hung about her the restrained energy of a whiplash.” 6 likes