Start by marking “Hippos Go Berserk!” as Want to Read:
Hippos Go Berserk!

Hippos Go Berserk!

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  2,829 ratings  ·  191 reviews
When Sandra Boynton does a counting book, it adds up to fun. Illustrated by the author, this is a vibrant full-color picture book in a paper over board format.
Published November 1st 1996 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Hippos Go Berserk!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hippos Go Berserk!

Jim
This is a counting book. "One hippo all alone calls 2 hippos on the phone..." When 10 of them get together, they go berserk & party! Then they leave in the same numbers they arrived in. Simple, but fun & my kids have all proved it. This was such a favorite that we kept a copy around long after pages were torn & a cover lost.

I happened to think of it & ordered a copy. My baby, in her mid 20's, remembered it fondly & had to read it before I sent to one son. He's 30 & was d
Melissa
Sep 03, 2007 Melissa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cat in the Hat fans
Moral of the story: do not invite hippos to your party because they will fuck shit up, yo. Definitely my favorite Boynton board book (although Oh My, Oh My, Oh Dinosaur is a close second). A perennial shower gift favorite (pair with the Owen and Mzee board book for a delightful hippo-themed set.)
Amos Kitani
This review is so hard for me to write not just because I'm pre-literate but also because I really wanted to like the book. But I just found some inconsistencies between the text and pictures that were difficult to resolve... and ultimately felt disappointed that not all the hippos go berserk.

Let's start at the beginning:
1 hippo, all alone
calls 2 hippos on the phone.
3 hippos at the door
Bring along another 4.

You might imagine that the pictures should show 1 hippo then 2 then 3 then 4... but that
Karyn
This book is brilliantly constructed. And it uses the word "berserk." What more can you ask for? I've read it to my kiddo approximately 6387 times, and will probably read it at least that many more, and I will not mind at all.
Melody
I love Boynton's books, and I was happy to find this one the other day in a used bookstore. I don't think I've ever seen it, and I have no idea how I managed to miss it while collecting them all to read to my son. Adorable counting book featuring 45 hippos and one monster.
Adrian
3/9/2011:
This was the first counting book you seemed to really enjoy. You would ask for it well before you could talk by getting from the shelves and bringing it to me to read to you. It was also one of the first places you could point to a picture and correctly identify the item in it as a car. (You do that quite a bit in many, many books these days.)

The day that you and I flew from Texas to Michigan, when we moved here, this was one of the books that I brought with us on the plane. I have no i
Sheila
Fantastic counting book for the little ones. Not only do we count the hippos as they come to the party--whether to work or play but we also get to count the hippos as they leave the next morning. I love the drawings. What makes this outstanding is the counting upwards then counting backwards Wonderfully fun!
Camille Ryckman
Brief summary Hippos are invited to play and work at a party and they arrive in groups and depart in groups and in between go berserk.
Annotation-This is a great number introduction book. The numbers are clear and the text is humorous.
Age appropriateness 0 - 4
Connection to six early literacy skills
Letter Knowledge - If this includes number knowledge as well then it fits in showing the numbers as well as reading the words for each letter.
Narrative Skills - This story keeps the reader going on t
Liane Marie

Category: Boardbook

Age: 0-3+ years

Synopsis: In this adorable romp from Sandra Boynton, a lonely hippo calls two hippos on the phone and ends up with a house full of partying pachyderms (and a cute little monster).

Bilingual benefit: With wit and silliness, the book teaches counting and number recognition in English. As the book rhymes very well, it is fun to read out loud.

Availability in Israel: While this book is not available in Israel, I have found other Sandra Boynton boardbooks in the major
Jordan Brown
Hippos Go Berserk
Author: Sandra Boynton
Reading Level: Grades pre-k-K

Boynton, Sandra (1996) Hippos Go Berserk! New York: Simon & Schuster

This book details the simple story of a hippopotamus that is lonely, calls two friends, and starts a wild party. Unfortunately, the party ends and the hippo is alone again.

I found this book to be charming. What immediately grabbed me was the adorable cover. These stylized, zany hippos were just too cute to ignore. The story is simple enough, and basically s
Tiffany
One of the best baby books I've read (they're usually completely inane). Plus you and your kid get a little math along with your funny kid "poetry."
Melissa
Hippos Go Berserk, by Sandra Boynton, is the classic tale of a lonely hippopotamus who calls up two friends and finds herself at the center of a snowball of a party of 45.

Young readers will enjoy the mayhem at the center of the party, goo at the gorgeous illustrations, and revel in their own ability to turn the pages of the book really, really fast. Adult readers are left to ponder such deeper meaning as the symmetrical nature of the guests’ comings and goings - can it be a coincidence that the
Shanna Gonzalez
Question: Why count up a rapidly-amassing horde of hippos?
Answer: Why not?

In the simply hilarious Hippos Go Berserk, "One hippo, all alone/ Calls two hippos on the phone." Those hippos come over to the lonely hippo's delight, and then three more appear, then four, until the party has increased to forty-five. The hippos fill the house all night, then in the morning nine of them leave, then eight, and so on, leaving the first hippo alone once more, "Miss[ing] the other forty-four."

Boynton presents
Andrea
Hippos Go Berserk! is a fun book that teaches children to count while telling a rhyming story. The book counts 1 to 9 then counts back down 9 to 1. The rhymes are cute and funny. It keeps the child entertained. My son loves the pictures especially the page where all the hippos go berserk.
I would recommend this book for any young child because it makes counting to 9 so much fun.
Asalyn Holliday
This is one of my all time favorite children's books. It has rhymes, numbers, and silly illustrations. My mom used this book to help me learnt to count to ten when I was little and I think it is a great resource for that. It is also a great book to incorporate some sign language into a read aloud with.
David
Hippos Go Berserk! by Sandra Boynton is a counting story of a hippo party,

Boynton's colorful illustrations feature groups of hippos. Boynton is able ro make the hippos look slightly different. My favorite images are party hat hippos, overdressed hippos, hippos in a sack, sneaking hippos, worker hippos, berserk, moving west, and distressed.

The rhythm and rhymes are fun. The numbers are in a large font. The large font could make this a beginning reader choice. My only complaint is that on many pa
Robert Beveridge
Sandra Boynton, Hippos Go Berserk! (Simon and Schuster, 2000)

Oh, Sandra Boynton. All of your books are good, but every once in a while you hit the jackpot. Hippos Go Berserk!, a lively counting book with fun illustrations and the ridiculous addition of a very non-hippo character who just seems to pop out of nowhere, is absolutely one of those jackpot books; the kid took to it immediately and requests it at least three times a day, and I am perfectly happy to read it to him three times a day beca
Troy
A good book for counting. I may use this again in a few years to create a simple addition math problem for my kid. It is a good way to teach counting multiple numbers in addition and seeing if they get the sum correct
Kelly
This is a fun counting book that has a silly, wacky hippo party. Conrad likes it & I like it well enough even though Sandra Boynton's art style gets pretty old for me pretty quickly.
Carrie Jolly
This is one of my favorite children's books. I like to read it to my son, but really it makes me laugh myself. Sandra Boynton is a great children's author.
Allie Lu
On the Hippos go Berserk page, we would squeal with excitement...you then became conditioned to flip the page and also squeal and wave your arms
Kaethe
Boynton's books were universally popular at our house. The counting was fine and the party was raucous, which was a particular hit.
Molly & Mommy
A tragic tale of solitude and the modern human hippo condition. Must we distract ourselves with fancy dress parties to be happy?!
Brenda Cregor
This is a good book to introduce adding and subtracting in a nonthreatening way.
Mary Helene
(cousin) Carla recommends this one. I watched Nicco read it to Asa (on video Skype) yesterday; Asa (5 months) was obviously captivated by the rhythmic language. Of course, the story line is there for the amusement of the adult reading. An infant can pick up on this interest, but I think Asa loved the words. Then I watched Nicco read him The Hungry Caterpillar, which I prefer for its storyline (beginning, middle, end - not absurd or episodic) but Asa was not as interested. Surely Nicco was, but t ...more
Sarah Stumphf
Fun little counting book about what hippos do at night!
Chels
Quite possibly my favorite children's book.
Molly
This is a great counting book with awesome Boynton charm. My storytime kids loved it.
Keeko
I smiled or laughed on every page. A good read!
  • Peek-a-Who?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Play with Their Friends?
  • Planes Board Book
  • Gossie
  • Quiet Loud
  • Tails
  • Dinosaur Roar! Board Book
  • You're All My Favorites
  • The Pigeon Loves Things That Go!
  • Little Blue Truck
  • Llama Llama Nighty-Night
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
  • Black on White
  • Bear Wants More
  • Pride & Prejudice : A BabyLit Counting Primer
Sandra Keith Boynton is a popular American humorist, songwriter, children's author and illustrator. Boynton has written and illustrated more than forty books for both children and adults, as well as over four thousand greeting cards, and four music albums. Although she does not license her characters to be redrawn or adapted, she has herself designed—for various companies—calendars, wallpaper, bed ...more
More about Sandra Boynton...
Moo, Baa, La La La! The Going-To-Bed Book Barnyard Dance But Not the Hippopotamus Blue Hat, Green Hat (Boynton Board Books)