Start by marking “Normal Miguel” as Want to Read:
Normal Miguel

Normal Miguel

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  44 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Miguel Hernandez is a teacher who has left Mexico City to complete a one year student internship in the rural hills of Puebla. He came to the school intending to focus on his teaching and his students but quickly learns that it is impossible to keep his private and professional lives separate-particularly as his experience turns into a voyage of self-discovery. His student ...more
Published June 1st 2010 by Cheyenne Publishing (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Normal Miguel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Normal Miguel

Conversations with S. Teri O'Type by Christopher  AllenMikey and the Chickadee by Kid BoiseTapping Darkness by KrackenRoman by Marlene K. SladeNormal Miguel by Erik Orrantia
Lesser-Known M/M Books
5th out of 348 books — 311 voters
Purgatory by Jeff MannWhen the Music Stops by John T. FullerP’tit Cadeau by Anel VizFaster Than the Speed of Light by Lucius ParhelionHidden Away by J.W. Kilhey
Best Underrated M/M Books
70th out of 348 books — 240 voters

More lists with this book...

Amos Lassen
Feb 10, 2011 Amos Lassen rated it it was amazing
Orrantia, Erik. “Normal Miguel”, Cheyenne Publishing, 2010.
Discovering Self
Amos Lassen
I really love to read new authors and one writes a book that stays with me, I feel as if I have received a double blessing. Such is the case with Erik Orrantia’s, “Normal Miguel”. The search for identity is certainly nothing new in literature and especially in GLBT literature so an author has to find a new twist to keep the reader involved.
Miguel Hernandez goes into the rural area of Puebla so that he can finis
Kassa
Jul 01, 2010 Kassa rated it really liked it
Normal Miguel is a delightful story about men, women, and children as they live, love, and triumph over hardships while celebrating life to the fullest. This is nominally gay fiction since the lead character is gay and there are certain themes and tensions relating to that, but the concepts are definitely more universal. The search for love, happiness, and a career are issues everyone tackles at one time or another. Miguel is a sympathetic and honest narrator, offering his views and struggles. B ...more
Mercedes
Sep 23, 2013 Mercedes rated it really liked it
Incredible job describing the setting. I really felt like I was living in a small town in Mexico. Not only that but also living the lives of these small town people. I really want some tortillas and beans now :-)

I really liked reading Miguel's journey of self-discovery. However, I felt like the book had a lot of telling and now showing. Dialogue felt very sparse which made for slow reading.
Val Kovalin
Just for fun, 6 word synopsis: Teacher finds purpose in rural Mexico.

Gorgeously vivid depiction of tropical Mexican countryside and memories of crowded, urban Mexico City. Relatively uncomplicated but appealing main character.

Leisurely pace to the story, which covers a year in the life of a student-teacher at a rural school and his interactions with his students which correspond to the seasonal festivals. He has to face some indirect homophobia, but the story keeps an optimistic tone.

There is a
Inked Reads
Aug 04, 2015 Inked Reads rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
FiveStars
This story is both moving and beautifully written. The story of a student teacher in a rural Mexican village may be an unfamiliar one to most readers, but the truths Miguel learns about himself and about human nature are universal.

Elisa Rolle
If you analyze this story, really it’s a very simple one, Miguel is a young teacher living in Mexico City and blaming himself for being gay; he is trying with all his own to make his mother proud, the same mother who is probably reflecting all her disappointed hopes in him; no father around to balance her, in a good or bad way. When Miguel leaves Mexico City for Puebla, in another effort to achieve something worthy in his life, even the job as teacher in a rural boarding school would be better t ...more
James
Feb 13, 2012 James rated it really liked it
This was a fine first book from a new author. Some of the characters weren't as fully developed as I would have liked, but for the most part, the main characters were rendered competently and thoroughly. There was however, a certain choppiness in the flow of the storyline, and some unresolved situations that I would have liked to have seen fleshed out. In particular, I would have liked some continuing narrative of the friendship between Teresa's family and Miguel. We were also left out in the bl ...more
Aug 04, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing

Miguel’s struggles will be familiar to any teacher. How can he meet the needs of so many diverse students? How does he belong to the school, to the town? And how does he balance a personal life with his professional life? At times Miguel’s idealistic enthusiasm is hea
Shawn
Jan 22, 2015 Shawn rated it liked it
Shelves: gay, fiction
I read this because it recently won a Lambda Literary Award. Liked the story, but the writing wasn't anything special.
Jon Wilson
May 28, 2011 Jon Wilson rated it really liked it
A sweet, gentle fairytale of rural Mexico—and I’m not using that label lightly. There is a fairy godmother, assorted magical Dwarves/Elves, an old Crone/Hag, an Ogre, and even a Prince Charming (who at one point “rescues” our hero atop a noble steed). Of course, it’s all been updated and “normalized” but all the elements are there.

There’s little not to like about Orrantia’s novel, which tells the tale of Miguel leaving the big city for a year of student-teaching in a very rustic area of Mexico.
Indie Reviews

Review rating: 4.5 stars

Normal Miguel by Erik Orrantia is a beautiful story of a young man's journey of self-discovery and self-acceptance. It is an extremely well written novel that transported me to the rural hills of the Puebla and the impoverished rural Mexican village of Comaltican and into the lives of not only Miguel and Ruben, but also the many colourful secondary characters that make up this community.

The complete review of Normal Miguel by Erik Orrantia is available at Indie Reviews.
Lee
Mar 25, 2012 Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Normal Miguel is a delightful book. In rural Mexico, a young, gay, student teacher, Miguel, begins a one year internship at a residential school and he learns what it takes to be an adult. The book is very well written and edited, and even though, at times, it became a bit schmaltzy, I'm glad that I read the book. I look forward to reading more from this author. I give Normal Miguel three and a half stars, rounded up to four because goodreads doesn't trust us with half stars.
Kiki
Sep 04, 2010 Kiki added it
I couldn't rate this because (1) I didn't finish it and (2) I just couldn't decide on a rating; or for that matter, what I think of it. Some of the writing and descriptions are wonderful, but the very slow, very pensive tone made it drag. I gave up on it about 30% through the book when I realized I was MAKING myself continue. Also the the frequent changes in points of view were confusing and irritating; sometimes it'd change POV within the same paragraph!

I might give it another try later ...
Ruth Sims
I did something wrong here. I meant to mark it "To Read" (I don't have a copy yet)but it popped up like this, needing a review. Well, there will be one eventually, but not yet! I love the cover and the blurb.
K.Z. Snow
Aug 03, 2010 K.Z. Snow rated it really liked it
I'd have given this between 4 and 5 if I'd had the option.
Sarah Sammis
May 19, 2013 Sarah Sammis rated it did not like it
Recommended to Sarah by: Alan Chin
Link+ due May 22, 2013
Raygan Baker
Raygan Baker marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Cristopher Carter
Cristopher Carter marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Erica
Erica rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Bee Reader
Bee Reader marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Ikhneumon
Ikhneumon marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Apachkia
Apachkia marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Hart
Hart marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Ptdog
Ptdog marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Otman
Otman marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Dean
Dean marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Mexican Stereotypes 4 22 Sep 27, 2013 08:42PM
Born in San Francisco in 1970, Erik Orrantia lived in the San Francisco Bay area until 1997. By that time, he had earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology and a Master’s Degree in Counseling at California State University in Hayward. His original intention was to build a practice in psychotherapy.

He then felt a calling to explore the world and entered an International Study Program in Mexico City
More about Erik Orrantia...

“You will know the answer when it sits well with you. It will make you feel calm instead of apprehensive.” 0 likes
“Neither of these men is a woman. Rather, they stand here today representing the balance of personalities, talents and beliefs that make a relationship greater than the sum of its parts. They represent the black and the white, the strength and the delicacy, the masculine and the feminine, and the left and the right that we people can find between us and also within each of us. It is this balance that makes a relationship healthy.” 0 likes