Start by marking “Poe & Fanny” as Want to Read:
Poe & Fanny

Poe & Fanny

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  13 reviews
In 1845, Edgar Allan Poe, published his acclaimed poem "The Raven," became the overnight darling of New York literary society, and fell in love with a beautiful—and equally famous—poet. It was the year that ruined him forever.

John May's perfectly imagined novel brings New York's giddy pre-Civil War social scene into brilliant focus as it unfolds the spellbinding story of
Published January 4th 2004 by A Shannon Ravenel Book (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Poe & Fanny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poe & Fanny

Undine
What bothered me most about this book is its utter lack of historical accuracy. No serious Poe scholar believes the "affair" May describes actually happened, much less that Poe fathered Osgood's youngest child. (Poe historian Michael Deas described the notion simply as "ludicrous.") Osgood's leading modern biographer, Mary De Jong, has stated that there is no evidence that Osgood and her husband were ever even estranged, or that either spouse was ever unfaithful. May has simply invented a comple ...more
Kate
Finally a book about Poe!!! I love EAP but didn't know much about his life. Granted, I could have probably just read up on his life, but reading it via novel is much more enjoyable. Reading about people's lives through works of fiction makes them seem more real to me, which is why I loved this book. May makes EAP human, not just the genius who wrote The Raven. EAP has flaws, desires and weaknesses and, more importantly, a love interest. I think May does a good job on honing in who EAP was as a m ...more
Melissa
I did not have too high of expectations for this book. However I couldn't put it down. Who knew that Poe was such a lady's man. I felt truly sorry for his wife.
Sue
Well researched and well written. While reading, it was easy to forget it was fiction, the characters and period and situations all rang so true.
Stephen
Loved this tale of Poe at the time he wrote "The Raven"
Elizabeth
Although I'm not quite sure how accurate the relationship between these two poets is, I especially enjoyed being swept into the world of the "ten-percenters," historic NYC's upper eschelon. Poe--as both a writer and a man--is fascinating, complex. The other main character, a woman poet, is also extraordinary. Note: the research must have delved deep since the writer includes actual poems he unearthed written by Fanny Osgood.
Kristy Dybala
Interesting fictionalized take on Poe's hard-scrabble life, and his (probable) illicit romance with a fellow poet. I especially enjoyed the author's folding in actual poems, and the timing of their publication, into the plot of the story. Interesting factoid from the afterword: Poe earned ~$600 from his writing in his entire lifetime. If a new manuscript were to surface today, it would be worth millions...
Keith
I loved this book!! It's about Edgar Allen Poe and includes details about his life and loves and the life of the middle 19th century america...I don't want to say too much so I won't spoil it. But, if you are interested at all in Edgar Allen Poe then this is a book for you!!! I was kinda sad it ended so soon, but then again it's a nice price to pay for being such a great book!!
Dawnielle
I actually didn't finish this book. Read this for by work book club, and it wasn't very good. I had hopes for this one, but was disappointed. The descriptions of 19th-century New York were excellent, but the rest of it was laborious and bland.
Heidi
Fictionalized account of a real-life relationship between E.A. Poe and Fanny Osgood--a poet in the 19c. It gave insight into his life, which I enjoyed. But it doesn't end well--how could it with Poe as a central character?
Maria
Very interesting insight into an author who I knew almost nothing about. Intriguing how some of the greatest talents of all time were so unable to function outside of their craft.
Jenny Williamson
I have always loved Poe's work and wanted a taste of his life. His life was sad and bitter being tied to alcoholism and unfulfilled plans. I didn't love the writing, found it stiff.
Gidiot
He's got it in for Poe. Very disappointing.
Tamela
Tamela marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Veronica Ibarra
Veronica Ibarra is currently reading it
Oct 30, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Rachael Meador
Rachael Meador marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Tatiana
Tatiana marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Christa
Christa marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Sania
Sania added it
Aug 29, 2014
Tatiana
Tatiana marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Carly Nicholas
Carly Nicholas marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014