MacRieve (Immortals After Dark, #13)

MacRieve (Immortals After Dark #13)

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  9,848 ratings  ·  1,089 reviews
In this pulse-pounding Immortals After Dark tale, #1 New York Times bestselling author Kresley Cole delves into the darkest mysteries and deepest passions of Clan MacRieve. . .

A Beast In Torment

Uilleam MacRieve believed he’d laid to rest the ghosts of his boyhood. But when a brutal torture revives those ancient agonies and destroys his Lykae instinct, the proud Scot craves...more
Published July 2nd 2013 by Gallery Books (first published May 9th 2013)

Tai the Lioness
Jul 03, 2013 Tai the Lioness rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE. read it or die basically
MacRieve IAD #13: 5 STARS OF OH MY GOD

Lets start this review off with a celebratory twerk for this great novel.

I would like to just say that this book is amazing. freaking obviously Read it, love it, review it...whatever. NOW, STOP READING HERE if you can't take a spoiler because I'm about to spoil your worllllllld. I know what you're thinking, just use the spoiler html formatting thingy...well no. I hate how that looks. KAY NOW FOR THE FUN PART.

OH. MY. LORD.

This book was everything the doctor...more
SheReadsALot
WARNING: FANGIRL REVIEW

My reaction anytime I hear a new IAD installment is coming out:

Me when I get my hands on any new Kresley Cole, she's a goddess among authors, I say. I vow it to the Lore. Thirteen books in and I'm still reading the series?!

When I'm reading a new IAD installment:

I devour the words because Kresley Cole is just crazy good.

How so?

I've been wanting Lanthe and Thronos' story for ages...I'm not even going to go to Nix because her story I expect to be epic and she's a special cas...more
Lord Rose
Edit 2/11/2013: Ack, what is wrong with that cover? (Although I still like this better than Lothaire's cover, which I despise.) And that eye. Even I can Photoshop a better eye than that. It's just... oddly flat and pale and dead looking, and also appears to be looking up, rather than at you. And the highlight doesn't seem to match the light source.

Here, I fixed it. (Original on left. Click either to zoom in.)
That's not nice... I am intense now, y/y?

And that took me maybe 15 minutes, so were they just not trying? (Okay, and maybe I we...more
✽ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ✽
Uilleam MacRieve, aka Will, aka MacRieve, is a haunted, tortured Lykae who has not ever been able to get over his past. Oh yes, he's tried to run, block it out, sex it out and drink it out but nothing has worked. Then he gets a call from Nucking-Futs Nïx, aka Nïx the Ever-Knowing, and a whole new chain of events are set in motion.

The one thing that KC can do oh-so-well is "the chase". I don't think I've ever read another series where it's been handled so well and so thoroughly. I've read a few...more
Ren
Jul 24, 2014 Ren is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Update per February, 8th :

And the cover is finally reveal!

So :

- The model head is not cropped. We used to see all his face
- He has scruff (yum!) and wear breastplate => Prefer he shirtless, tho.
- His hair is shoulder-length. Why I think he will look like Brad Pitt in Troy? => Definitely look like Achilles in Troy
- I wonder what his eyes colour.. => Can't decide what colour => Ahh, we see it now
- Judge from his expression, he most likely seems brooding or sulking, lol! => Most like
Audrey
January 2014 review:
4.5 stars. Despite the questionable cover, it was pretty darned freaking awesome. Hungry for the next one, which the epilogue set up quite deliciously. *smacks lips* Will, that gorgeous Lykae, was a fab alpha hero, and Chloe was a spunky and sweet foil to his harshness. Even though the "surprises" were rather guessable, I loved how they were handled and worked through. Yay, Kresley Cole!

*************************************

Original pre-review anticipation:
(view spoiler)...more
Glamdring
*Review without spoiler*

MacRieve is the thirteen instalment in the Immortals After Dark series. I’ve been eagerly waiting for this book for 18 months or so. I simply LOVE this series. For me this is one of the best in the paranormal romance genre. I also love Kresley Cole's historical romances, and when I loved her first foray in the YA genre (a genre I really don’t like) I thought that she definitely couldn’t disappoint me whatever she wrote.

I was wrong.

With Shadow’s Claim (The Dacians #1 — a...more
Zeek
I liked it okay, still very hot, but I'm getting tired of the "I hate you because you're my enemy, but I want you because you're my mate, but I have to hate you" Cole has going on right now- in every single release lately. To make things worse, MacRieve has the same theme of one of the pair thinking themselves in love with someone else before they meet their "true mate" and are dogmatic about loving them...even though they're usually secretly evil...and now dead. (Although, granted, MacRieve rea...more
Mimi Smith
3 stars

Am I the only one who thought this story was similar to Bowen's? We have a tormented werewolf who had once thought he had found his mate (but was tricked!) and who now hates his newfound mate's species and is an ass because. I don't know, it just came to mind. As I wasn't the biggest fan of Bo's story either...

I simply found this story and the pacing odd. And at the same time predictable. I mean, the first half is idyllic and happy-happy, and yet you know what will happen, and yes it does...more
Melindeeloo
Taysa
Do you hear that? That is the sound of my heart breaking.

Oh Will!

My initial reaction to reading this book;

First, let me just say (or rather reiterate) that Kresley is a master story teller. She's got the whole paralell-simultaneous-story-plot-weaving-master-piece thing rocking on. I've read and re-read the IAD series over and again, picking up on new things every time.

But she just completely blew me out of the water (and a little out of my mind) with Will and Chloe's story.

For me, Uilleam and...more
✿ℎazℯℓ - thℯ ℛock Cℎick ℱairy✿
Frankly, I'm quite disappointed.

I thought that this novel will be as epic as the last one in the series... but sadly, no. :(

Will is a lykae who has a very traumatic past. PAST being the operative term, lemme just say that he blew this book away in a negative way. Chloe is a professional soccer player who's not really a normal human. Unfortunately for her, she gets to be partnered to a guy who hates her kind.

I don't like Will. He's so self-involved and he didn't care much for his mate. Well, he d...more
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Jul 03, 2013 Anna (Bobs Her Hair) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Paranormal Romance Fans
4.5 stars or A

This books packs an emotional wallop. Will the lycae mates ever catch a break? They werewolves are always paired with someone who pushes them to their limit.

Chloe is a human, or so she believes. Her father's secrets come out and there's more to learn. The most devastating story belongs to MacRieve. It's tragic and I wonder why I never really noticed his character with the exception of the 'hot and hotter' nickname.

This book has a different feel compared to the other IAD books. It...more
Wendy
Started off great, then it fizzled out somewhere towards the middle. Not to mention the ending was a little strange for my liking. As much as I adored both the hero and heroine, I found their relationship to be hot one minute; then cold the next.

I would have like to have seen some of the past characters which we were deprived of, although we did get to see Nix in it; even if it was for a little bit. All in all, I liked it, but not loved it. So it's just a 3 stars from moi.
Lkay ❇✾The one-click buy button addict❇✾
5 Hot and Hotter stars

"You've let me tend tae your fire, and tonight it's searing me clean. I can be what you need."

He was so domineering. And a dirty talker. Apparently, she liked both.

That is totally me right now. Yes, fairy wings and all. Why you ask? Well, because I'm fun and eccentric that way. But mainly, it's because I just read a Kresley Cole book and IT.WAS.AWESOME!

I admit that after reading some mixed reviews on this book, I had put off reading it. I have loved every book i this ser...more
Heather C
3.5 Stars

I mostly enjoyed this but it definitely won't go down in my list of favorites.

I was really liking the first half of the story...there was some good sexual tension and I was enjoying watching MacRieve try to woo Chloe. MacRieve had one of the saddest prologues I've ever read. And then add the things that Webb and Dixon did him...I just wanted him to have a great story. Sadly, it all kinda went to hell in the second half, pretty much exactly how I predicted. It was very frustrating for m...more
Nymeria
 photo tumblr_m8rfpkg9gm1qbffcj_zps5b4d661a.gif

Set up: Will MacRieve lived through a traumatic experience with a succubus and was recently tortured at a secret facility run by a certain Commander Webb.

So of course Chloe, his heroine, couldn't be anything other than:

1*a succubus
2*Webb's daughter

My least favorite book in the IAD series.

Will was an asshole for the entire book. Yeah, yeah, poor little Willie has a Sad Past (and said Sad Past was pretty weak compared to what we've previously seen in this series)... Poor little Willie was a prej...more
Kat Kennedy
The later books in this series go a long way toward making up for the rapey first few books. But I still don't know why I'm reading them. WITCH! She's a witch! May we burn her?
♡Karlyn P♡
Enjoyable and steamy, but probably my least favorite in this series. The ending was more of a setup for the next book, not a strong HEA.
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
Review @ Under the Covers

Describe Macrieve in three words:

Suzanne: Funny, Sexy, Goshdarnawesome

Annie: Deliciously possessive and mine!

What did you think of Will’s story? How does it compare to the rest of the series?

Saly
With the many average reviews this book has gotten from my friends here my expectations were low and that is why I ended up enjoying the book more probably. Was it something original? No actually the book seemed to be a mix of KC's book, hero has a tortured past and was abused. He is almost thinking of giving up when he finds his mate, the daughter of the man who led the Order. He whisks her away loving her but bam then turns out she is turning into the very species he despises. He treats her li...more
Jo ★  The Book Sloth★
Spoilers! Mostly tagged but since I know few of us can resist spoiler tags(I know I can't) I thought I should warn you!

OH MY... The ending killed me. Major cliffhanger and definitely not what I wanted in the next book but now I can hardly wait!

About this book:

Beginning I would like to say "WHAT A HEROINE" . Yeap, that's it. You'll get what I mean when I get there.

So, we have a boy, his name Will, and a girl, her name Chloe. He is a lykae, she seems to be human. She is his enemy's only daughter,...more
Jessica Hatfield
 photo mehh_zps1187db02.gif

Hmmmmm Okay well I will keep this short and to the point. I had a hard time with this book. I could see that Uilleam was sexual abused as a child by a succubus and that he feels guilty for his parents and lil sister's death and I get that he was tortured by the Order and that he was almost raped by 5 succubus ok I so get it. I could even understand that it would make his angry to find his mate and find out she was part succubus but damn he was the biggest prick I have ever seen he wasn't just m...more
Vashti
Wow!, it pains me to give this book 3 stars.I love Kresley Cole, she is my fav pnr author bar none.McRieve just did not hold up against the awesomeness that was Lothaire.
I was never really engaged in this book like other books in this great series.
MacRieve was a tortured soul and he had the "mine" down pat,but there was just something missing.Chloe was just a meh heroine,nothing special.
Here is hoping that Munroe's book is better.
Magda
I will read anything by Kresley Cole. :)

ETA:It's Uilleam's book!
Really thought it was going to be Lanthe/Thronos!

Don't want to wait another year!
Sophia T. (♥ Dimitri Belikov)
“So what are you going to wear to the apocalypse? I’m thinking something sparkly and transfixing.”-Nix

Hot and Hotter!!!Finally...

I always wanted to learn more about them!

I loved, loved, loved MacRieve (although he was a real d*** some times)! Tortured by the ghosts of his past and recently captured by the Order, MacRieve couldn't believe his bad luck when he found out that his mate is not only Webb's daughter by a succubus as well.

The only thing that Chloe (aka baby T-Rex) ever wanted was to par...more
Jen (Red Hot Books)
I have to admit that I wasn't overcome with excitement with the idea of Ulleam MacRieve as the next IAD hero. True, the MacRieve Lykae are sexy to be sure, but Ulleam never did much for me --and frankly, I was itching for a Lanthe and Thronos book. I love this series, though, so I figured any book was going to be a win one way or another --and for the most part, it was.

Basically, it's your standard Immortals After Dark book. The hero has a dark past. He wants the heroine, but he doesn't WANT to...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

Describe Macrieve in three words:

Suzanne: Funny, Sexy, Goshdarnawesome

Annie: Deliciously possessive and mine!

Suzanne: This is the thirteenth book in the IAD series and I think it is still going strong. Will was just as you would expect a hot, angsty alpha wolf to be and I enjoyed seeing him be bowled over by Chloe. It was emotional, funny and really hot, Will has a delicious way with dirty words. But, wh...more
Nika (Off to Neverland)
Oh my goodness gracious! I've wanted to read this book for ages and I finally did. And lemme tell ya, it did not disappoint!!

Let me introduce the characters.

Uilleam and Munro MacRieve aka Hot & Hotter

[image error]

Chloe Todd

description

Chloe's a professional soccer player who's this close to being on Olympic team. But weird stuff has been happening to her recently. She's lost her appetite, has developed superior hearing, and let's just say, her hormones have decided they wanna parrrtayyy!! She finds ou...more
Lanthe and Thronos 20 298 Mar 27, 2014 08:26PM
Immortals After Dark: * MacRieve (book, #13) *Spoilers* 282 563 Oct 12, 2013 04:56PM
giveaways 1 25 Jul 12, 2013 12:25PM
Saucy Wenches Boo...: July Book of the Month MacRieve (Immortals After Dark, #13) 1 17 Jun 24, 2013 06:23PM
Paranormal Romanc...: IAD MacRieve Excerpt!!!! 3 61 May 29, 2013 12:06PM
  • Heart of Obsidian  (Psy-Changeling, #12)
  • The Darkest Craving (Lords of The Underworld, #10)
  • Reaver  (Lords of Deliverance, #5; Demonica, #10)
  • Kinked (Elder Races, #6)
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #12)
  • Tiger Magic (Shifters Unbound, #5)
  • Wulfe Untamed (Feral Warriors, #8)
  • Darkness Avenged (Guardians of Eternity, #10)
  • How to Drive a Dragon Crazy (Dragon Kin, #6)
  • Wolf with Benefits (Pride, #8)
  • Enraptured (Eternal Guardians, #4)
Kresley Cole is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of the electrifying Immortals After Dark paranormal series, the young adult Arcana Chronicles series, the erotic Gamemakers series, and five award-winning historical romances.

A master’s grad and former athlete, she has traveled over much of the world and draws from those experiences to create her memorable characters and settings.
Her IAD bo...more
More about Kresley Cole...
A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, #2) No Rest for the Wicked (Immortals After Dark, #3) Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night (Immortals After Dark, #4) Dark Desires After Dusk (Immortals After Dark, #6) Dark Needs at Night's Edge (Immortals After Dark, #5)

“Are you calling about the ad?"
"Ad?"
"For the gently used Bentley for sale. It has zero miles!"
Well, that explained the backward driving.

Macrieve & Nix”
33 likes
“You asked me how old I am. I was born roughly nine centuries ago. I’ve lived for more than three hundred thousand days. And you made this one my favorite one of all."
-Uilleam MacRieve ~”