Start by marking “Appassionata (Rutshire Chronicles #5)” as Want to Read:
Appassionata (Rutshire Chronicles #5)

Appassionata (Rutshire Chronicles #5)

3.81  ·  Rating Details ·  1,684 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Abigail Rosen, nicknamed Appassionata, was the sexiest, most flamboyant violinist in classical music, but she was also the loneliest -- although madly attracted to the fatally glamorous horn player, Viking O’Neill.
Published April 7th 1997 by Corgi (first published 1996)

Anna
Back in my late teens and early twenties in the 80s and 90s, my favourite author was Jilly Cooper. Her frollicking sex n' scandal tales of toffs and top totty romping through the British countryside kept me entertained (and enlightened!) for hours, so when they all popped up for 99p on Kindle's Daily Deals last week, I couldn't resist snapping 'em up!

Instead of going for the most famous ones first (Riders, Rivals and Polo), I started with Appassionata, the fifth in the Rupert Campbell-Black ser
Dangermousie
Ummmmmm. It's 80% a dud. I loathe Abigail, the heroine, I find everyone else in the book, including her OTP Viking and her friend Marcus (Rupert's son from first marriage) boring etc etc. Classical music is great to listen to, but makes the most boring novel topic. The 20%? The whole deliciously long sequence with Rupert and Taggie going to adopt in Colombia (Taggie can't have children - for why, see Polo) and actually ending up with two kids because Rupert ends up getting attached to this hideo ...more
Aug 02, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
Nice story, though a little too much romping in this one - I was fearful all the characters would end up with bouts of chlamydia, or worse.
Great thread with characters that can irritate and thrill you all at once.
Summer read must!
Amanda
Sep 02, 2013 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buy-on-kindle
I just loved it. Jilly's books are such a comfort and a joy to read. So easy, so light. Loved the characters, loved the sprawling plot. Fab.
Mar 03, 2017 Jennifer rated it liked it
I LOVE Jilly Cooper. I could not seem to warm to the heroine, Abby, in this book. The ending was fabulous, it really made the book for me. And it was very cool to get a behind-the-scenes peek at the music world.

I'm still sighing over Riders, Rivals and Polo, my favourites.
Dark-Draco
Jul 03, 2013 Dark-Draco rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
This was one Jilly Cooper that I hadn't read before, so it was good to read it in order with the other Rutshire books. This one follows Abigail Rosen, a young Violinist who is let down by the man she loves - typical Cooper!! She tries to cut her wrists, but only ends up not being able to play her beloved instrument. Instead, she learns to conduct and is persuaded to help turn round the fortunes of a failing orchestra, one full of huge egos, overdrawn bank accounts and raging jealousies. Her frie ...more
DeB MaRtEnS
Jul 13, 2012 DeB MaRtEnS rated it really liked it
If you enjoy broad satire, have a bit of a clue about the British class system and are open to novels that lead you on goose trails with hijinks and shenanigans all the way to a neatly and delightful ending, you can't do better than Jilly Cooper. Her books are, to use the English expression, "a lark ", filled with high comedy, pretentious snobs, salt of the earth types, love stories, romps, successes and rightful devastation of the villains in the plot. The plot, however, is always so serpentine ...more
Kay Mccormick
Oct 25, 2014 Kay Mccormick rated it really liked it
Very pleased to discover this author, who is well known in UK. Some of the best escapist fare ever. A fun frolicking romp throughout. Apassionata is a continuum of The Rutshire Chronicles, a fictional area of West England. Tells the story of a regional symphony orchestra and its highs and lows, it's colorful divas and egocentric characters. I really enjoyed this book...could have been about a 100 pages shorter, however. Still a delightful reading ride.
Bob
Apr 04, 2014 Bob rated it liked it
It's just fun. Ms. Cooper writes deliciously naughty comedy, and gets most of the details right about the intersection of art (classical music) and business. The only cringe-worthy moments were those when the main characters pined for their lovers' attentions with something like the worst internal dialog from an arch romance novel.
Louise Rose-Innes
Feb 08, 2016 Louise Rose-Innes rated it it was amazing
Jilly Cooper is a genius. She's witty, writes well, has great descriptions and her characters are so well developed, relateable (is that a word?) and human. I read this book for research into the music and opera scene which features in my next series of romance novels, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and laughed out loud on several occasions.
TashNz
May 16, 2011 TashNz rated it it was amazing
lol - after reading this i read a blog by the nzso who were travelling around the world at the time - in my imagination i imagined them to all be rutting around like the people in Appassionata and Score heheheeh
Ange
May 20, 2012 Ange rated it liked it
While this was yet another good book by Jilly it did take a long time to read, more so because I'm not into classical music making reading tough going. Happy to eventually get to the end of this particular book.
Deeze
May 14, 2011 Deeze rated it really liked it
I admit I was a little frightened to start this one. The idea of a classical music back ground did not appeal. I could not of been more wrong. Jilly Cooper again brings to life characters you either love or hate but never feel indifferent towards
Fiona Squires
Dec 17, 2014 Fiona Squires rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Just another standard Jilly Cooper tale - a cast of thousands including characters old and new indulge in various kinds of debauchery centered on the Rutminster Symphony Orchestra. If I'd have thought that being a member of an orchestra was this much fun, I would have kept up playing the flute.
Puddytatpurr
Feb 01, 2013 Puddytatpurr rated it really liked it
I cried! I always do at Jilly Coopers books!

I found I wanted to read the story of Marcus though, than Abby - I didn't really like her - and towards the end, I could barely sit still while reading through the competition!

Eager to start Score! - the next book in the series.
Lili
Apr 22, 2012 Lili rated it liked it
I'm not particularly fond of some of the content of Jilly Cooper's novels but she writes a good story.
Nancy Black
Jul 30, 2012 Nancy Black rated it it was amazing
Actually enjoyed this wild romp through the world of Conductors,Diva's, make up girls, and the whole cast of characters. I don't know how Jilly Cooper does it but it was a whirlwind intense read.
Tasneem
Jun 07, 2011 Tasneem rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this. I loved the passion and the courage this book brought out. Cooper is a fantastic writer who managed to capture a certain type of English spirit very well indeed.
Rachel Kidd
Apr 30, 2012 Rachel Kidd rated it liked it
I think I was definately getting beyond Jilly Cooper by the time I read this book, but that doesn't mean it wasn't good, just me I think.
Judy Beyer
Oct 04, 2012 Judy Beyer rated it liked it
One of my secret hideaway authors.
I just wish her editor had corrected the name of the song mentioned as 'Lydia Pinker'. Remember 'Lily the Pink'?
Taryn Pierson
Dec 06, 2015 Taryn Pierson marked it as dnf
Setting aside for now. Too many more tempting books at the moment. I'll come back to this when I inevitably get burned out and need light, naughty fun.
Jun 10, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, chick-lit
Yes I love Jilly's Rutshire chronicles infinitely! I didn't even like the main character but still really enjoyed the book :)
Katie Cordes
Dec 13, 2007 Katie Cordes rated it it was amazing
def. better than "the man who made husband's jealous" second to last book in the series, and definately a page turner
Amanda Jane
Jul 08, 2012 Amanda Jane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Sexy, fun and with classical music thrown in. I can't listen to Ein Heldenleben without thinking of Viking O Neil.
Abi Fuller-gardener
Apr 15, 2012 Abi Fuller-gardener rated it it was amazing
I've read other reviews of this book, I quite enjoyed it. Has a character called Abigail. Don't get that often!
Jill
Jul 15, 2013 Jill rated it it was amazing
love it love it love it - could not out it down summer read every year!!
Abby Jean
May 31, 2014 Abby Jean rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
OK - not the best in the series. turns out I have limited interest in orchestras.
Missy Cahill
One of my absolute favourites. Classical music gets sexy. Fantastic read. Viking sounds delicious!
Dee W.
Nov 12, 2007 Dee W. rated it it was ok
I hate this book. I hate all her books. None of her characters are worthwhile human beings. Grr.
Roxie
Jul 27, 2011 Roxie added it
HARD TO GET INTO BUT AS YOU KEEP GOING THE CHARACTERS GET BETTER...NOT BAD
  • Well Groomed
  • The Stud (Fontaine Khaled, #1)
  • Open House
  • A Kept Woman
  • Original Sin
  • Dangerous Parking
  • Forbidden Places
  • Born Free
  • Fate and Ms. Fortune
Jilly Cooper, OBE (born February 21, 1937) is an English author. She started her career as a journalist and wrote numerous works of non-fiction before writing several romance novels, the first of which appeared in 1975. She is most famous for writing the six blockbuster novels the Rutshire Chronicles.
More about Jilly Cooper...

Rutshire Chronicles (10 books)
  • Riders (Rutshire Chronicles, #1)
  • Rivals (Rutshire Chronicles #2)
  • Polo (Rutshire Chronicles #3)
  • The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous (Rutshire Chronicles, #4)
  • Score!
  • Pandora
  • Wicked! (Rutshire Chronicles #8)
  • Jump! (Rutshire Chronicles, #9)
  • Mount!