Start by marking “Appassionata (Rutshire Chronicles #5)” as Want to Read:
Appassionata (Rutshire Chronicles #5)

Appassionata (Rutshire Chronicles #5)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  1,269 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Abigail Rosen, nicknamed Appassionata, was the sexiest, most flamboyant violinist in classical music, but she was also the loneliest -- although madly attracted to the fatally glamorous horn player, Viking O’Neill.
Published April 7th 1997 by Corgi (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Appassionata, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Appassionata

Twilight by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerEclipse by Stephenie MeyerThe Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
Popular Books that Annoy You
441st out of 561 books — 1,795 voters
Silent Spring by Rachel CarsonNaked Lunch by William S. BurroughsDining Out Around The Solar System by Clare O'BearaBound for Glory by Woody GuthrieMurder Most Royal by Jean Plaidy
Great Book Titles
78th out of 99 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Nice story, though a little too much romping in this one - I was fearful all the characters would end up with bouts of chlamydia, or worse.
Great thread with characters that can irritate and thrill you all at once.
Summer read must!
Amanda
I just loved it. Jilly's books are such a comfort and a joy to read. So easy, so light. Loved the characters, loved the sprawling plot. Fab.
Dark-Draco
This was one Jilly Cooper that I hadn't read before, so it was good to read it in order with the other Rutshire books. This one follows Abigail Rosen, a young Violinist who is let down by the man she loves - typical Cooper!! She tries to cut her wrists, but only ends up not being able to play her beloved instrument. Instead, she learns to conduct and is persuaded to help turn round the fortunes of a failing orchestra, one full of huge egos, overdrawn bank accounts and raging jealousies. Her frie ...more
Kay Mccormick
Very pleased to discover this author, who is well known in UK. Some of the best escapist fare ever. A fun frolicking romp throughout. Apassionata is a continuum of The Rutshire Chronicles, a fictional area of West England. Tells the story of a regional symphony orchestra and its highs and lows, it's colorful divas and egocentric characters. I really enjoyed this book...could have been about a 100 pages shorter, however. Still a delightful reading ride.
Bob
It's just fun. Ms. Cooper writes deliciously naughty comedy, and gets most of the details right about the intersection of art (classical music) and business. The only cringe-worthy moments were those when the main characters pined for their lovers' attentions with something like the worst internal dialog from an arch romance novel.
Abby Jean
OK - not the best in the series. turns out I have limited interest in orchestras.
Deb
If you enjoy broad satire, have a bit of a clue about the British class system and are open to novels that lead you on goose trails with hijinks and shenanigans all the way to a neatly and delightful ending, you can't do better than Jilly Cooper. Her books are, to use the English expression, "a lark ", filled with high comedy, pretentious snobs, salt of the earth types, love stories, romps, successes and rightful devastation of the villains in the plot. The plot, however, is always so serpentine ...more
Fiona Squires
Just another standard Jilly Cooper tale - a cast of thousands including characters old and new indulge in various kinds of debauchery centered on the Rutminster Symphony Orchestra. If I'd have thought that being a member of an orchestra was this much fun, I would have kept up playing the flute.
Dangermousie
Ummmmmm. It's 80% a dud. I loathe Abigail, the heroine, I find everyone else in the book, including her OTP Viking and her friend Marcus (Rupert's son from first marriage) boring etc etc. Classical music is great to listen to, but makes the most boring novel topic. The 20%? The whole deliciously long sequence with Rupert and Taggie going to adopt in Colombia (Taggie can't have children - for why, see Polo) and actually ending up with two kids because Rupert ends up getting attached to this hideo ...more
Puddytatpurr
I cried! I always do at Jilly Coopers books!

I found I wanted to read the story of Marcus though, than Abby - I didn't really like her - and towards the end, I could barely sit still while reading through the competition!

Eager to start Score! - the next book in the series.
Deeze
I admit I was a little frightened to start this one. The idea of a classical music back ground did not appeal. I could not of been more wrong. Jilly Cooper again brings to life characters you either love or hate but never feel indifferent towards
TashNz
lol - after reading this i read a blog by the nzso who were travelling around the world at the time - in my imagination i imagined them to all be rutting around like the people in Appassionata and Score heheheeh
Ange
While this was yet another good book by Jilly it did take a long time to read, more so because I'm not into classical music making reading tough going. Happy to eventually get to the end of this particular book.
Nancy Black
Actually enjoyed this wild romp through the world of Conductors,Diva's, make up girls, and the whole cast of characters. I don't know how Jilly Cooper does it but it was a whirlwind intense read.
Tasneem
I really enjoyed this. I loved the passion and the courage this book brought out. Cooper is a fantastic writer who managed to capture a certain type of English spirit very well indeed.
Judy Beyer
One of my secret hideaway authors.
I just wish her editor had corrected the name of the song mentioned as 'Lydia Pinker'. Remember 'Lily the Pink'?
Rachel Kidd
I think I was definately getting beyond Jilly Cooper by the time I read this book, but that doesn't mean it wasn't good, just me I think.
Yes I love Jilly's Rutshire chronicles infinitely! I didn't even like the main character but still really enjoyed the book :)
Abi Fuller-gardener
I've read other reviews of this book, I quite enjoyed it. Has a character called Abigail. Don't get that often!
Katie Cordes
def. better than "the man who made husband's jealous" second to last book in the series, and definately a page turner
Amanda Jane
Sexy, fun and with classical music thrown in. I can't listen to Ein Heldenleben without thinking of Viking O Neil.
Lili
I'm not particularly fond of some of the content of Jilly Cooper's novels but she writes a good story.
Missy Cahill
One of my absolute favourites. Classical music gets sexy. Fantastic read. Viking sounds delicious!
Dee W.
I hate this book. I hate all her books. None of her characters are worthwhile human beings. Grr.
Roxie
Jul 27, 2011 Roxie added it
HARD TO GET INTO BUT AS YOU KEEP GOING THE CHARACTERS GET BETTER...NOT BAD
Jill
love it love it love it - could not out it down summer read every year!!
Ahmad
Dec 30, 2010 Ahmad is currently reading it
Excellent novel for anyone interested in music, operas, etc..
Andrea
Good read, took me a while to read it though.
  • Well Groomed
  • Lovers and Gamblers
  • Open House
  • Class (Maggie Adair #1)
  • Forbidden Places
  • A Kept Woman
  • Seeing Stars
Jilly Cooper, OBE (born February 21, 1937) is an English author. She started her career as a journalist and wrote numerous works of non-fiction before writing several romance novels, the first of which appeared in 1975. She is most famous for writing the six blockbuster novels the Rutshire Chronicles.
More about Jilly Cooper...

Rutshire Chronicles (9 books)
  • Riders (Rutshire Chronicles, #1)
  • Rivals (Rutshire Chronicles #2)
  • Polo (Rutshire Chronicles #3)
  • The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous (Rutshire Chronicles, #4)
  • Score!
  • Pandora
  • Wicked! (Rutshire Chronicles #8)
  • Jump! (Rutshire Chronicles, #9)
Riders (Rutshire Chronicles, #1) Rivals (Rutshire Chronicles #2) Polo (Rutshire Chronicles #3) The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous (Rutshire Chronicles, #4) Wicked! (Rutshire Chronicles #8)