Start by marking “Harsh Pink: Color Me Burned (TrueColors Series, #12)” as Want to Read:
Harsh Pink: Color Me Burned (TrueColors Series, #12)

Harsh Pink: Color Me Burned (TrueColors #12)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  707 ratings  ·  40 reviews
So much for blending in. After moving with her mom from their hometown of Boston, Reagan Mercer is just trying to fit in at her new high school. By winning a coveted spot on the cheerleading squad, Reagan accidentally bumps popularity poster child Kendra Farnsworth from the lineup and makes a new A-list enemy. Life at home isn't much better as Reagan struggles to deal with ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 2007)

All the books in this series follow almost the identical path, except for a different conflict-a self centered girl finds herself in trouble, and a secondary character who is obviously there just for this reason, introduces our heroine to God, and everything is peachy. The topics adressed are serious and need to be discussed but I find it all just a bit too easy.
TWJ Magazine
Brand new to Belmont High, Reagan Mercer gains an enemy when she beats the “it girl” out of getting on the varsity cheerleading squad. Now that fitting in is no longer an option, she is determined to attain popularity. Reagan becomes the typical “Mean Girl” of high school. Though she likes to think of herself as a survivor, she uses other girls to get to be popular, caring little for any feelings she might hurt in the process. She even ranks these girls by how popular they are. Class B’s and C’s ...more
Nov 22, 2008 Morgan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Melody Carlson's color series
Melody Carlson is the fabulous author of Harsh Pink. It's about a teenage girl who just moved into a new country. Reagan Mercer just made the varsity cheerleading squad when she runs into high school's homecoming queen, Kendra Farnsworth. Reagan finds herself going from enemy to best friend of Kendra. When she get's invited to a drinking party with her geek friend, she finds herself making a huge choice. Does she try and see if she can fit in with popularity? Or does she stand up for what she be ...more
Harsh Pink by Melody Carlson is a very good book. Its about a girl that moves schools this year and she loves to cheer so she tired out. She made varsity! But she kicked this girl off, Kendra, and now Regan is starting to regret this whole thing. So after the first game they won and all the cheerleaders went to this party. But Regan wasn't invited so she followed and went to the party. She had some drinks and her and Kendra started to be friends. I think most teenage girls will like this if they ...more
This was a fairly good Christian YA novel. It shows how a teenage girl gets tired of the peer pressures involved with staying popular and finds Christ and becomes a recovered "mean girl." It was a simply written novel, but it was well done, and the characters were drawn well also.
So much for trying to fit in. Reagan Mercer and her Mom and her Grandma just moved from Boston and Reagan will do anything to fit in the in crowd... that might not happen because she emberassed Kendra Farnsworth during cheerleading practice and there is no way that Reagan has a chance now, but Kendra decides to play nice and let Reagan fit in with her crowd. That is until Kendra starts using Reagan to play dirty rotten tricks on other girls at school. Is this the friend that Reagan wants? No. In ...more
Basically mean girls in a book with a few plot changes I read this because it was free on kindle. It was pretty good for a free book, I don't know if I'd spend money on it though. The only thing I didn't like about this book was (and this might sound bad) how religious it suddenly got towards the end. It all seemed very fake and preachy to me. One day she's calling her neighbor ) an overly religious freak (she was), and the next she's talking about how god can help her through all her problems? ...more
It's been almost three years since I first started Melody Carlson's True Colors series, and, just now, I finished reading the twelfth and final book. The series as a whole was good, but its appeal seems to be limited; only those who enjoy "young adult" and Christian literature would enjoy the novels, and even some of those may be turned off by the edgy themes: drug addiction, cutting, suicide, alcoholism, etc. If you do decide to try True Colors out, make sure that you know what you're getting i ...more
I got this book on my Kindle without realizing it's a religious YA book. If I had known that, I never would have gotten it - it's just not my thing. It reads like an over the top sermon against underage drinking and "mean girl" behavior (neither of which I condone). It was too preachy and I found myself skimming most of it just to get through it (since I didn't realize until about halfway through that it was a Christian novel). The story was not original at all - new girl joins up with the mean ...more
Audrey Grant
While not as graffic in details as Torch Red, This book is the ultimate in the bullies and mean girl club!! Some of the things these girls do and say to each other is UNBELIEVABLE!!
I would maybe let my daughter read this one when she is in her late teens. This book also cover's selfishness, class and status (rich vs poor), Popularity and peer pressure, and even rounds it out with underage drinking.
It also shows what happens when there is no family time and kids are expected and trusted to be AD
Nov 22, 2011 Courtney marked it as story-wasn-t-for-me-won-t-rate-it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up-on
Not going to rate this one because it just isn't my kind of book. If you like reading about how hard it is to be a part of the "in crowd" then this is definitely for you. Personally,... though,... I wanna just yell at these characters to GROW UP and do what makes you happy instead making your short years in high school about gaining the acceptance through the people you affiliate with.

Even though there was growth within the story at a tragic price,... it just wasn't a book I like to read...

Melody Carlson, an author for girls ages twelve and up, has written another amazing book called, Harsh Pink! Harsh Pink is about a girl named Reagan. Reagan is new to her high school this year, and she has to deal with Kendra, the head cheerleader. I recommend Harsh Pink because it's a book that you can't put down, and it's very descriptive. I also think that you should have more of a higher reading level to read this book. Overall this book is AMAZING!
Sep 27, 2007 Joann rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: advisory07-08
I loved this book. It talks about knowing who your true friends are when things get tough and this book really digs deep into that topic. It is also about Christianity and how the teenagers convert themselves into Christians and their life is a lot simiplier. I don't want to go into detail about what this book is about because i recommend this book to everyone. This book is also a series and I'm hoping to read more of Melody Carlson's books.
This book consists of many problems dealing with high school and everything. I could relate to this a little because of the many problems that occur to us "youngsters". It's fun to read about conflict after conflict in this book. I also learned stuff about myself while learning about this. I wonder why it is so easy for teenagers to make connections to these kind of books. It seems obvious but why is it so obvious?
I thought this book was pretty good, but not as exciting as all the other books. It was about a girl trying to fit into her new school. Well she did and got into the popular group. Things got out of hand, but another girl set her straight. She also told her how to invite Jesus into her heart. I am glad to be done with this series and start something new!
I really enjoyed it! I didn't think I would like it quite so much but there you go. It turned out great and I think its very relatable. This last book of the series left me with good thoughts about the whole series.
This was a nice book in the series because the topic didn't seem so dire. It was interesting to read about girls who are so mean because they want to be popular and stay popular, since I know nothing about that.
Starla Sunshine
Fitting in isn't always the best.
I really liked this book. It was about knowing who you are, and sticking with your true friends. I think it was really well written, and can't wait to read more of the color series by this author.
This is a really good teenage Christian book that talks about what it takes being in the "popular" crowd and often the "cool" people are the ones that lead people astray.
Ashley L
Dec 26, 2007 Ashley L rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Girls
I am sort of dispointed about melody carlson now because i have stopped in the middle of two books now because they were boring me i really dont recomend this to anyone :(
It was an inspiring story about someone finding God, and it kept me interested the whole time too. I'd recommend it.
it was one of those he said she said things... But the message line was pretty good and it changed my view on things
This book has a really good message.I would recommend it but only to some people who like this kind of book
I hope this is a YA book! If so, it's fine. Wouldn't get all excited for my friends to read it, though.
I read this book a while ago so I don't remember it much but I love Melody Carlson's writing.
This whole series is worth reading! I totally wish this series was around when I was growing up. :D
This book clearly shows how trying to be popular can lead to all kinds of problems.
  • Maggie Come Lately (The Pathway Collection, #1)
  • The Winter of Candy Canes (Sweet Seasons, #3)
  • What's a Penguin to Think When He Turns Pink!
  • Haunted Schools
  • Pink Princess Rules The School (Perfectly Princess)
  • Katy's New World (Katy Lambright Series, #1)
  • As You Wish (Christy and Todd: College Years #2)
  • Born to Be Somebody (from Never Say Never): Big Note Piano, Sheet
  • Happy Birthday to Me Again (Birthday Trilogy, #2)
  • Taylor Swift: Pro Vocal Women's Edition Volume 49
  • Charlie (Snowy Cove, #1)
  • Harry Styles Annual 2013
  • Leave It to Chance
  • The Queen Bee of Bridgeton (Dancing Dream, #1)
  • Mary's Son
  • The Pink Palace (Triple Crown Publications Presents)
  • Life
Melody Carlson is the award-winning author of over two hundred books, several of them Christmas novellas from Revell, including her much-loved and bestselling book, The Christmas Bus.

She also writes many teen books, including the Diary of a Teenage Girl series, the TrueColors series, and the Carter House Girls series.

Melody was nominated for a Romantic Times Career Achievement Award in the inspi
More about Melody Carlson...

TrueColors (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Dark Blue: Color Me Lonely (TrueColors, #1)
  • Deep Green: Color Me Jealous (TrueColors, #2)
  • Torch Red: Color Me Torn (TrueColors, #3)
  • Pitch Black: Color Me Lost (True Colors, #4)
  • Burnt Orange: Color Me Wasted (TrueColors, #5)
  • Fool's Gold: Color Me Consumed (TrueColors, #6)
  • Blade Silver: Color Me Scarred (TrueColors, #7)
  • Bitter Rose: Color Me Crushed (TrueColors, #8)
  • Faded Denim: Color Me Trapped (TrueColors, #9)
  • Bright Purple: Color Me Confused (TrueColors, #10)