Start by marking “1587: A Year of No Significance: The Ming Dynasty in Decline” as Want to Read:
1587: A Year of No Significance: The Ming Dynasty in Decline

1587: A Year of No Significance: The Ming Dynasty in Decline

1587, a Year of No Significance: The Ming Dynasty in Decline (Chinese: 萬曆十五年; pinyin: Wanli Shiwunian) is Chinese historian Ray Huang's most famous work. First published by Yale University Press in 1981,[1] it examines how a number of seemingly insignificant events in 1587 might have caused the downfall of the Ming empire. The views expressed in the book follow the macro h ...more
Published September 10th 1982 by Yale University Press (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about 1587, please sign up.

Ying Chen I don't think so, not as I'm aware of.

Hadrian
Nov 27, 2013 Hadrian rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, nonfiction, china
The first subtitle of this book seems like a lie, but it's more likely a joke. Of course this year is significant. Every year is, whether historians say it is or not.

The year 1587, The Year of the Pig, 24th in the 60 year cycle and the fifteenth year of the reign of the Wanli Emperor, is a setting for future dramas, but also of more focused internal conflicts. It might be tempting to call it a year of 'no significance', as there are no major battles here, no imperial downfalls, no natural disas
Jeb
May 21, 2009 Jeb rated it really liked it
I have to preface this book by saying it's not a joke. That's the real title and it's a real look at the social history of China's Ming Dynasty.

I read this in college and it still sticks with me. It's like reading the diary of someone who is not important but is very detail oriented. If you get past some of the tedious aspects of this book, you can capture very interesting tidbits of the daily life of the Chinese 422 years ago.
Grace Tjan
Sep 11, 2009 Grace Tjan rated it liked it
Shelves: history, china, 2009
In 1987, I went to China and visited, among other places, the tomb of the Wanli Emperor near Beijing. It was the only royal tomb open to the public in the Ming Tombs complex at that time. Our Chinese guide led us down a ramp into a subterranean, vaulted chamber clad in white marble. Inside there were thrones carved with dragons and phoenixes, also of the same white marble, and huge blue-and-white porcelain urns. The chamber led into other chambers, just as massive and cold. One contained numerou ...more
Nick
Dec 03, 2013 Nick rated it liked it
"Part of Wan-li's failure was that he was too intelligent and sensitive to occupy the dragon seat. The more he gained an insight into its apparatus the more skeptical he became. He began to realize that he was less the Ruler of All Men than a prisoner of the Forbidden City." Pg. 93

This sums up the tragedy of this book. Huang offers profiles of not only the Wan-li emperor, but several office-holders as well. In each case, he assesses their failures, not necessarily as causes of the fall of the Mi
Sana Krasikov
Nov 03, 2016 Sana Krasikov rated it really liked it
When this history was first published no one in academia knew what to do with it -- at once totally deadpan and novelistic. A hidden gem.
David
Jun 09, 2014 David rated it it was amazing
This is a tour de force of concentrated historical writing, and among the most original in any field of history that I can think of. Equivalents of the same vintage (1980s) and comparable method (micro history) that come to mind are Carlo Ginzburg's The Cheese and the Worms, or Robert Darnton's The Great Cat Massacre. Without being monumental in size, 1587 nonetheless achieves a sort of monumental significance, aiming for nothing short of an explanation of the decline of one of China's most sple ...more
Harry Barnett
Feb 22, 2010 Harry Barnett rated it it was ok
Shelves: history, china
Peter Hessler recommended 1587, A Year of No Significance: The Ming Dynasty in Decline at the end of his book River Town: Two Years on the Yangtze. I enjoyed River Town so much I thought 1587 would also be interesting.
The structure of the book 1587 is good enough. Ray Huang selects one year during the Ming Dynasty and tells us its history by describing the lives of several significant players at the time: the young emperor, a general, a bureaucrat, a philosopher etc. The problem is Ray Huang is
Silencut
Oct 02, 2008 Silencut rated it it was amazing
One of the most insightful pieces on Ming Dynasty.
S.
Dec 16, 2011 S. rated it really liked it
This book gets extra points for its marvelous title. This really is about 1587, a year during the Ming Dynasty. It is thorough and sometimes tedious but of interest to Chinese history scholar.
Sunshinezeng
Jan 07, 2017 Sunshinezeng rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
喜欢作者的“大历史”观,“生命的真意义,要在历史上获得,而历史的规律性,有时在短时间尚不能看清,而须要在长时间内大开眼界,才看得出来”。
Matt
Mar 25, 2015 Matt rated it liked it
Huang Renyu's text 1587: A Year of No Significance has many points of interest and is clearly well-researched; unfortunately, it is hampered significantly by its overwrought prose, and occasionally by its character-based (rather than linear) structure. It took me more than five chapters to realise the main thesis of the book - that the Ming Dynasty's failure is broadly attributable to its lack of an independent legal system and a Legalist philosophy which would allow it to develop and modernise. ...more
Joel
Dec 27, 2014 Joel rated it liked it
Shelves: history, china
A worthwhile book for anyone particularly interested in Chinese history. The title is a little misleading. It's not a chronicle of a single year; rather, it's a series of biographical portraits of several people prominent in the Chinese bureaucracy at the time, not all of whom were still active (or even alive) in 1587. But they all played a role in forming the state of the empire in 1587. It's a little disappointing that we don't learn much about everyday life for average Chinese people; the boo ...more
Lenny Husen
Mar 05, 2014 Lenny Husen rated it it was amazing
This book was strongly recommended to me by Hsien-Wen Hsu, a Pulmonologist/Intensivist, whose passion is Chinese History.
It is a challenge for me to read history. This is a book only for those that are interested in Chinese History of these period, but it is very unique, and well done. Huang delves into the structure and philosophy behind the Chinese Civil Service Bureaucrats of the Ming Dynasty.

Each chapter is separate, and could stand alone as an essay or exploration of an idea. In general, e
池正则
Sep 03, 2016 池正则 rated it it was amazing
It's my first time writing Book Review on Internet, and first time writing in English. Well, it worth for me doing so, but forgive my poor English level, as well as many logical mistakes in this comment.
After I closing the book eventually, all of contents gather with a sentence emerging in my heart "the Ming dynasty fell for poor practical laws with little maneuverability, relying on ethics and morality excessively."
Chinese tradition culture usually confuse foreigners as well as Morden Chinese e
Ethan Fulwood
Dec 18, 2011 Ethan Fulwood rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, china
This was a very informative examination of some of the key figures and social trends in the late Ming Dynasty. My one complaint has to be with its thesis that the trends described were the inevitable consequence of Ming social history and that they were by 1587 irreversible. I find myself skeptical of claims of inevitability in history, because they are too easy. What if Shih Shih-hsing had have moved decisively against Nurhaci? What if Wan-li had been more adept at manipulating the bureaucracy ...more
Margaret Sankey
Jan 29, 2015 Margaret Sankey rated it really liked it
Huang chooses a very Chinese style of historical inquiry--by using just one year, a drop in the bucket that is the late Ming empire, to illustrate the fatal flaws of the fading dynasty. While a western history might see 1587 in light of a major event (like 1588's Spanish Armada as a turning point in English history), this is just a snapshot of bickering bureaucrats, corrupted flood management projects, frustrated emperor, one general trying to suppress piracy and peasants staggering under taxes.
Qmmayer
Jul 12, 2011 Qmmayer rated it it was ok
There's some interesting information here, and the overall theme of the power of the Chinese bureaucracy is well explored. But I found the organization at times confusing, and the writing style often turgid. I read this after seeing it recommended by Peter Hessler in the afterward to Rivertown. I've discovered a number of good books thanks to Hessler, but I was not captivated by this one.
Zhen
Jul 26, 2012 Zhen rated it really liked it
I started respecting Ray Huang after this book. It is a great one, not long and focused on a seemingly 'unimportant' year in Chinese history. Though it reflected everything, culture, hierarchy of Chinese society, custom, et cetera. The book has a unique angle and is well delivered. One of the best ones to understand Chinese history.
Rui Ma
Apr 13, 2012 Rui Ma rated it it was amazing
As someone said"There Is Special Providence in the Fall of a Sparrow." The fall of ming dynasty is much significant than sparrow. In the year of 1587, there were a lot of small things, which led to the inevitable fall. This book detailed these small clues and did a great job explaining how a mighty dynasty break apart.
Ethan Wong
May 26, 2014 Ethan Wong rated it really liked it
This book gives me a first in-depth knowledge of ancient chinese royal society, especially the weaknesses which lead to the end of Ming Dynasty.

I will certainly read more about chinese history after this. This is highly recommended.
Alex Green
Oct 10, 2014 Alex Green rated it liked it
1587 is an interesting inside into the elite of Ming society but is not a light read (unless you already have a deep knowledge of Chinese History). For me it will be more likely a reference rather than a good story.
Mike
Jul 17, 2011 Mike rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, china
huang draws on court histories & contemporary chinese scholarship to vividly portray notable personalities in the reign of the Wanli emperor, noting the position each occupies both in their own era and in the wider history of the chinese bureaucracy.
John
Jan 09, 2013 John rated it did not like it
Shelves: own, nonfiction
I feel like I have been reading this book for a month. Had to force feed myself a chapter at a time. To dry for me. It could be great for a person really into China history but that is not me. Reading the dictionary is far more fun but I guess the book was not written to be for fun.
Gk
Sep 29, 2007 Gk rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
Amazing look at China's bureaucratic system.
Xianjing
The book is informative, but I prefer a line structure rather than a character-based structure while telling a history.
yin
May 13, 2012 yin rated it really liked it
what a tragedy of rule a great emperor with the Confucian school!
21kr
Apr 24, 2014 21kr added it
The book I read is in Chinese.
Hui Sun
Jun 23, 2013 Hui Sun rated it really liked it
I find it hard to believe Ming was doomed since 1587. But the book still provides beautiful silhouettes of that age of prosperity, and the tragedy and inevitability of human destiny.
Eman
Sep 07, 2015 Eman rated it it was ok
**Reading for HIST-T190: Pearl Harbor 1941**
Wei Liu
Apr 16, 2015 Wei Liu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book. Highly recommended.
  • Emperor of China: Self-Portrait of K'ang-Hsi
  • God's Chinese Son: The Taiping Heavenly Kingdom of Hong Xiuquan
  • Daily Life in China on the Eve of the Mongol Invasion, 1250-1276
  • History in Three Keys: The Boxers as Event, Experience, and Myth
  • China Marches West: The Qing Conquest of Central Eurasia
  • The Troubled Empire: China in the Yuan and Ming Dynasties
  • Soulstealers: The Chinese Sorcery Scare of 1768
  • Imperial China 900-1800
  • The Great Divergence: China, Europe, and the Making of the Modern World Economy
  • China's Cosmopolitan Empire: The Tang Dynasty
  • Six Records of a Floating Life
  • Red Star over China: The Classic Account of the Birth of Chinese Communism
  • China: A New History
  • China's Last Empire: The Great Qing
  • Restless Empire: China and the World Since 1750
  • The Boxer Rebellion: The Dramatic Story of China's War on Foreigners that Shook the World in the Summer of 1900
  • China's War with Japan, 1937-1945: The Struggle for Survival