Start by marking “The Nightmare Factory” as Want to Read:
The Nightmare Factory

The Nightmare Factory

3.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  434 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
The Nightmare Factory adapts four of Ligotti's most chilling tales into fine graphic literature by famed writers and artists Stuart Moore, Joe Harris, Colleen Doran (The Sandman), Ben Templesmith (30 Days of Night), Ted McKeever (Batman), and Michael Gaydos (Alias). Featuring all-new introductions to each story by Thomas Ligotti.
Graphic Novel
Published October 1st 2007 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published September 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Nightmare Factory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nightmare Factory

Bill  Kerwin

A graphic interpretation of four Ligotti stories: "The Last Feast of Harlequin," "Dream of a Mannikin," "Dr. Locrian's Asylum" and "Teatro Grottesco."

With Ligotti, often the most suggestive horrors are philosophical rather than physical, and therefore images cannot convey how disturbing these stories really are. Still, these illustrated tales are both compelling and useful, as aids to a literary meditation on nihilism.

These illustrations may operate in much in the same way as an icon that is us
James Pratt
Oct 10, 2012 James Pratt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To me, Thomas Ligotti's work is a good demonstration of how horror is most effective in small doses. These illustrated adaptions of a handful of his stories haul you in but don't give you enough time to become acclimated (and therefore desensitized to) the premise before bringing things to an abrupt (anti) resolution. Ligotti is one of the modern masters of weirdness and the artwork ranges from decent to downright spooky. Interesting stuff.

James Pratt, author of "When Dead Gods Dream"
Kyle Burley
Doug
Aug 27, 2014 Doug rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel, weird
I have read this graphic novel of four shortish adaptations (of Thomas Ligotti short stories by people not Thomas Ligotti) and four short introductions (by Thomas Ligotti), before, and my thoughts shifted from initially enjoying it to thinking that it has missed the mark. Rereading it to coincide with my reading of Songs of a Dead Dreamer, I find that both of my takes were correct. First off, the artwork is excellent in just about every way, and for certain types of fans of horror and horror com ...more
R.R. López
Oct 16, 2015 R.R. López rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
La fábrica de pesadillas en realidad es una fábrica de somníferos.

Es innegable que Ligotti es un escritor con gran dominio del lenguaje, una imaginería muy original, y una prosa evocadora con reminiscencias de Poe y Lovecraft, pero sus narraciones a veces son demasiado introspectivas y muy lentas para mi gusto.
Este libro lo he usado un par de noches que tenía insomnio, y mano de santo.
Chris
Jan 23, 2009 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As many others have said, the author goes for scary mood over story. Unfortunately, I think he sometimes goes for scary mood at the expense of the story. These short stories are somewhat frightening to read but leave me feeling more confused than chilled once they are over.
Conor Crockford
Jul 29, 2014 Conor Crockford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read two of Ligotti's other books (Songs of a Dead Dreamer and Teatro Grottesco) and I've read three of the stories adapted here. Even though I KNEW what was coming, I knew how the stories worked and how they would end, I still felt the same awful, numbing horror I always feel finishing his works, always. One is taken into a dream world without explanation or consolation when you read Thomas Ligotti and I feel as though I have been taken there a few times too many. I sat at a transit statio ...more
Apr 16, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely creepy. Ligotti really built up a nightmare with a great amount of skill. But each story's ending left me wishing he would have taken it a step further. Each story the reader is clutching the book thinking, oh dear lord what horror awaits. It's such a perfect fear emotion to pull out of people. Then the ending. And it's not like it's a badly written ending or anything, it's just I wish there was MORE.

(view spoiler)
Megan
Perfect time of year for this. Interpretation of the clown story was super creeps, but all of the stories focus more on atmosphere than plot. However, I really like that, and there's also a heavy amount of philosophy and psychological exploration going on here, which is right up my alley as well. Ligotti writes more than your average horror tale and these are nicely illustrated, although I wouldn't go so far as to say they are fully adapted into comics... I guess technically.... I do especially ...more
Doug
Dec 23, 2014 Doug rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately for me, this is my first real introduction to Ligotti. Maybe I should seek out his actual stories or maybe just cut my losses. These feel like you're reading one of every ten sentences, like so much is missing. An extra star because the artwork is well done, but overall it's more annoying than enjoyable.
Tade Thompson
A bit disappointing.
I do not think Ligotti translates well to graphic novel format.
The art did not move me in any of the stories. Some of the choices of scene puzzled me.
I had high hopes for this, and I won't be buying volume 2.
Becky Loader
These stories are not for the faint of heart. I was not familiar with Ligotti, and what a great introduction to his stories is in this excellent graphic book. Creepy, and yet, compelling.
Ahmed Jadaa
Nov 23, 2015 Ahmed Jadaa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I should be able to handle one terrible book at a time ugh. Need a shower from this filth.
Joel
Mar 02, 2014 Joel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think this might be better if the actual book was still available. As a comic adaption it's kind of lackluster.
Hannah Givens
Derivative, not very scary.
Michaela
Apr 26, 2014 Michaela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had hoped to enjoy this as much as the H.P. Lovecraft graphic I had read, I did not.
Mark Desrosiers
Sep 09, 2008 Mark Desrosiers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Thomas Ligotti is the type of eggheaded horror writer who prefers to spook you with metaphysics and dreary clowns, rather than the usual electroconvulsive mix of corpses and demons. So let's just say that these stories aren't very frightening at all. Instead, you read this for the spooky art, which seems to improve on his originals in odd ways. I especially dug Ted McKeever's skin-gouging hard lines and Michael Gaydos's washed-out rainbow-noir coloring (in the freakiest of the four stories).
Keira
Aug 03, 2015 Keira rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
I wasn't a really big fan of this collection. They were not very nightmarish to me for the most part, and I only enjoyed 2 of the 4 stories (the first two). I guess I would recommend this if you can get it, simply for those first two stories. People with a more poetic/philosophical bent may enjoy the other two stories a bit more than I did.
colleen the fabulous fabulaphile
2.5

Overall, I'm kinda meh about the whole thing.

The art was decent, and suitably atsompherically creepy, but the stories were disjointed and hard to follow. Apparently they are based on prose novels, as opposed to being written for the format, so maybe that had something to do with it. I liked the one about the town with the asylum, and the clown one sort of stayed with me, but I don't even remember the others, and I just read it yesterday.
Jim
Four odd and creepy stories.

But they seemed to be missing something.

The ideas were interesting and the art was fantastic. But something was lacking in the execution. I don't know if it's Ligotti's stories in general, or the adaptation, but there was something I didn't quite get. Maybe this is an intentional part of his writing, to leave the reader with a sense of bewilderment, but with a few of these, I was just left thinking, "huh?"
Ian
Jun 02, 2013 Ian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 1/2 stars. Ligotti is pretty awesome, so let's jump on the graphic novel bandwagon!...and the results are not bad at all. It's a little bit difficult to get enthusiastic about this project because the addition of a visual element doesn't really seem to improve upon the original work, but at least they leave most of his creepycreepy language intact. A brief, enjoyable read.
Chris kunselman
Oct 15, 2011 Chris kunselman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ligotti writes horror like it matters. his books are full of powerful sentences and slowly building unease. this comic adaptation isn't entirely succesfull, the stories could easily have been given another 5 or 10 pages yet most of the art was dark and interesting and far from typical. i enjoyed this quite a bit.
Janice
Jun 18, 2009 Janice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Four creepy stories, featuring skillful but fittingly unsettling artwork from four different artists. I personally found that all four comics relied too much on the narration, (it worked well in the first and last stories, but perhaps not the other two) and scarier visuals would've made them even better.
Miah
I wasn't a fan of this one, which is disappointing, because I thought I would be. Ultimately, I found the stories utterly uninteresting. The art, however, was phenomenal. Especially in "Dream of the Mannikan." The lighting, the shading, the colors all made it pleasing to look at if not to read.
Aaron VanAlstine
Feb 17, 2013 Aaron VanAlstine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Four stories illustrated by four different artists. The art is interesting but the so-called horror stories aren't scary, interesting, or compelling in any way. In fact, they are downright boring. It took less than an hour to read this "graphic novel" cover to cover. Skip this one.
Melissa
Jan 16, 2013 Melissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Felt like I was reading something penned for either the twilight zone or tales from the crypt. None of these stories seemed very "scary"... psychologically or otherwise. Bonus I did find a story in there that an episode of Supernatural was based off of.
Leah Lucci
A lot of these stories were probably amazing as stories, but didn't quite translate well into comics. The illustrations were, however, beautiful, and some of the stories seem like they would be really cool to read in their entirety.
Donna
Atmospheric and well illustrated, but didn't seem very frightening to me. Rather than one tale, this book was four shorter unrelated stories. I think these stories would have been more enjoyable if they were longer and more in-depth.
Russell
I wasn't terribly impressed with this. I bought it on hearing it compared to Lovecraft and Poe, but I don't see Ligotti as anywhere near those writers. Certainly it has that atmosphere, but he doesn't quite pull it off as they did.
Lori
Based on short stories by Thomas Ligotti, the references to Lovecraft are clear to anyone who has read his work. Great settings and setups leave you with the same sense of unease.
Madison Mega-Mara...: #102: The Nightmare Factory (v1) by Thomas Ligotti 1 1 Nov 01, 2013 10:00PM
  • Graphic Classics, Volume 4: H.P. Lovecraft
  • Chronicles of Wormwood
  • The Lovecraft Anthology: Volume 2
  • Tapping the Vein (Tapping the Vein #1-5)
  • Nevermore (Classical Eye)
  • Wormwood, Gentleman Corpse, Vol. 2: It Only Hurts When I Pee
  • Marvel Zombies Destroy!
  • Haunt of Horror: Lovecraft
  • Heroes & Monsters: The Unofficial Companion to the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (The Unofficial Companion to the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, #1)
  • Breath of Bones: A Tale of the Golem
  • Disciples of Cthulhu
  • Alice in Sunderland
  • Heathentown
  • The Bizarro Starter Kit (Purple)
  • At the Mountains of Madness: A Graphic Novel
  • Silent Hill Omnibus
  • The Museum of Horrors
  • Nelson (Hardback)
Thomas Ligotti (born July 9, 1953) is a contemporary American horror author and reclusive literary cult figure. His writings, while unique in style, have been noted as major continuations of several literary genres – most prominently Lovecraftian horror – and have overall been described as works of "philosophical horror", often written as philosophical novels with a "darker" undertone which is sim ...more
More about Thomas Ligotti...