Start by marking “Jack's Book: An Oral Biography of Jack Kerouac” as Want to Read:
Jack's Book: An Oral Biography of Jack Kerouac

Jack's Book: An Oral Biography of Jack Kerouac

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  478 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Here, in what has become a classic of its kind since its publication in 1978, is the fascinating story of Jack Kerouac, "King of the Beats" and American literary legend, recorded through the voices of his friends and lovers. Authors Barry Gifford and Lawrence Lee retraced Kerouac's life at home and on the road and talked with the prophets, musicians, poets, socialites, and ...more
Published October 6th 2005 by Da Capo Press (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Jack's Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jack's Book

M. Mangan
I was not a Kerouac fan per se, but I was able to read this book one summer as part of my job for the Park Service in his hometown of Lowell. It was one of the best biographies that I ever read. I was completely engrossed.

One of my favorite aspects was that they would interview several people for the same incident, and let you hear from each of them separately--rather than mashing it into a whole. It was very Rashomon-esque. And it was so interesting to see how the individual's perspectives affe
Manick Govinda
This was my bible when I was 16-17yrs old. How I dreamed of being a beat, and how I copied such style in my diary entries of the time. I give it high marks purely for nostalgia.
Blake Nelson
I never seem to get tired of reading about the Beat Generation. Maybe because it's a time in American culture and history that reminds me so much of right now. (super social conservatism, rampant conformism among the young, irrational fear of non-existent enemies).

To add to stuff I already knew is a lot of dirt, sexual mostly. So if you're wondering who slept with who among the beats, the answer is: "everyone".

ABSOLUTELY FASCINATING. I love biographies, though I don't read them very often. Probably the most interesting book I've ever read is "Natasha," a biography of Natalie Wood. This one is a very, very close second.

My favorite part of biographies is reading the quotes/stories from the people who knew the person the biography is about. This being an "oral biography" meant that the majority of it IS quotes from these people, most of them fascinating and famous people in their own right (like Allen G
Jay C
Great oral biography of a great writer (& tragic figure in literature). Helps if you already have a background in Kerouac and have read most of his books. Might not make a lot of sense otherwise.
Chris Meger
I hate what the world did to Kerouac. But after reading this book, at least I understand it better.
(5.30.12) Merrill and I took a trip to Portland and spent Monday morning in Powell's. Nordstrom bought her $600 of fashion books. I bought this plus 'Desolation Angels' and 'The Practice of the Wild'.

(7.7.12) I read this over the last couple of weeks. It has some fascinating stuff in it, obviously all the more fascinating when it relates to the novels you've read recently. Also his relationship with his mother will delight Freudians everywhere. There's maybe too much on Neil Cassady, but the stu
As far as the biographical content of this book is concerned the interview form appears a bit too rough. This is not so much a proper biography as it is raw material from which future biographers can plunder quotes for centuries to come. What is great about this book is that it explains and shows things you won't find anywhere else: the effect Neal Cassady had on people, the atmosphere at the Burroughs/Volmerr farm in Texas, the way various people responded to each other (positively and negative ...more
beautiful book about a great poet (the term writer is not fitting) told in the words of people who not just knew him but loved him and hated him, lived and died with him. must read if you're a true fan of kerouac, like i am.
Taylor Church
I have read several other Kerouac biographies, but this one was done in such a unique and wonderful way. The truth behind beat stories and mythological tales were revealed in their gritty reality and renewed grandeur. Reading this book makes you want to read all of the contemporary "beat literature" by all of jack's friends who were writers and poets. But most of all reading these pages make you want to go and read every book, every essay, and every article that Mr. Kerouac managed to publish in ...more
Jack Goodstein
Keroac's friends, lovers and acquaintances wax eloquently at times not very coherently about the man they thought they knew. Hopefully from the mass of testimony some sort of truth emerges.
Great book. The personal reflections of the actual participants of Kerouac's stories, make this book a unique and valueable resource. Would recommend it to any Kerouac fan.
Michael Mayer
A most excellent book with tons of interviews with people who knew Kerouac intimately. I highly recommend this book if you enjoy Kerouac's work and other "beat" writers.
Ronald Gregor
One of the best bios about Kerouac.
I love reading tragedy and Kerouac's life is such a grand tragedy and to read about that tragedy from the people who knew and love him only makes that tragedy so much more grand.

Jack's Book offers great insight of how Kerouac touched the lives of so many people over the course of his brief life. I really enjoyed reading the words offered by Luanne Henderson mostly because of how Kerouac vilified her in On the Road that it was nice to hear her voice. Jack's Book is definitely tailored to the sea
Linda Blinova
Ничего нового (хотя вообще сомнительно, что из биографий Керуака можно узнать что-то принципиально новое), но интересно и увлекательно. Автор обрастает тусовкой, персонажи его книг оживают и говорят своими голосами о нём. Получается, они меняются с автором местами. И наблюдать этот "зеркальный" эффект мне, например, крайне любопытно. Кроме того, хорошо для проработки контекста, потому что с программы "Керуак" переключаешься на программу "Керуак и ...", что расширяет, конечно же, горизонты.
Chuck O'Connor
Kerouac was my bridge from comic books to literature, when I was a teenager so he will always hold a nostalgic place for me. This book is a great presentation of his history. It is very sad. Another bright talent squandered by alcoholism. I came away sadder about Jack's slow-motion suicide now that I am about the same age as he was when he died.
Jason Disley
Jason Disley marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Avalllon marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Lacon marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
stacey m
stacey m marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Angela Becker
Angela Becker marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Miss Deed
Miss Deed marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
knjk marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Who is Dan Moriarty? 1 1 Nov 03, 2014 05:52PM
  • Memory Babe: A Critical Biography of Jack Kerouac
  • Jack Kerouac: Angelheaded Hipster
  • Windblown World: The Journals of Jack Kerouac 1947-1954
  • Desolate Angel: Jack Kerouac, The Beat Generation, And America
  • Kerouac: A Biography
  • Why Kerouac Matters: The Lessons of On the Road (They're Not What You Think)
  • Off the Road: My Years with Cassady, Kerouac, and Ginsberg
  • The Voice is All: The Lonely Victory of Jack Kerouac
  • Jack Kerouac: King of the Beats
  • I Celebrate Myself: The Somewhat Private Life of Allen Ginsberg
  • Baby Driver: A Story About Myself
  • You'll Be Okay: My Life with Jack Kerouac
  • Memoirs of a Beatnik
Barry Gifford is an American author, poet, and screenwriter known for his distinctive mix of American landscapes and film noir- and Beat Generation-influenced literary madness.

He is described by Patrick Beach as being "like if John Updike had an evil twin that grew up on the wrong side of the tracks and wrote funny..."He is best known for his series of novels about Sailor and Lula, two sex-driven,
More about Barry Gifford...