Start by marking “Jack's Book: An Oral Biography of Jack Kerouac” as Want to Read:
Jack's Book: An Oral Biography of Jack Kerouac

Jack's Book: An Oral Biography of Jack Kerouac

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  435 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Here, in what has become a classic of its kind since its publication in 1978, is the fascinating story of Jack Kerouac, "King of the Beats" and American literary legend, recorded through the voices of his friends and lovers. Authors Barry Gifford and Lawrence Lee retraced Kerouac's life at home and on the road and talked with the prophets, musicians, poets, socialites, and ...more
Published October 6th 2005 by Da Capo Press (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Jack's Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jack's Book

M. Mangan
I was not a Kerouac fan per se, but I was able to read this book one summer as part of my job for the Park Service in his hometown of Lowell. It was one of the best biographies that I ever read. I was completely engrossed.

One of my favorite aspects was that they would interview several people for the same incident, and let you hear from each of them separately--rather than mashing it into a whole. It was very Rashomon-esque. And it was so interesting to see how the individual's perspectives affe
Blake Nelson
I never seem to get tired of reading about the Beat Generation. Maybe because it's a time in American culture and history that reminds me so much of right now. (super social conservatism, rampant conformism among the young, irrational fear of non-existent enemies).

To add to stuff I already knew is a lot of dirt, sexual mostly. So if you're wondering who slept with who among the beats, the answer is: "everyone".

Manick Govinda
This was my bible when I was 16-17yrs old. How I dreamed of being a beat, and how I copied such style in my diary entries of the time. I give it high marks purely for nostalgia.
Rachel
ABSOLUTELY FASCINATING. I love biographies, though I don't read them very often. Probably the most interesting book I've ever read is "Natasha," a biography of Natalie Wood. This one is a very, very close second.

My favorite part of biographies is reading the quotes/stories from the people who knew the person the biography is about. This being an "oral biography" meant that the majority of it IS quotes from these people, most of them fascinating and famous people in their own right (like Allen G
Jay C
Great oral biography of a great writer (& tragic figure in literature). Helps if you already have a background in Kerouac and have read most of his books. Might not make a lot of sense otherwise.
Chris Meger
I hate what the world did to Kerouac. But after reading this book, at least I understand it better.
Robert
(5.30.12) Merrill and I took a trip to Portland and spent Monday morning in Powell's. Nordstrom bought her $600 of fashion books. I bought this plus 'Desolation Angels' and 'The Practice of the Wild'.

(7.7.12) I read this over the last couple of weeks. It has some fascinating stuff in it, obviously all the more fascinating when it relates to the novels you've read recently. Also his relationship with his mother will delight Freudians everywhere. There's maybe too much on Neil Cassady, but the stu
Wilfriedhoujebek
As far as the biographical content of this book is concerned the interview form appears a bit too rough. This is not so much a proper biography as it is raw material from which future biographers can plunder quotes for centuries to come. What is great about this book is that it explains and shows things you won't find anywhere else: the effect Neal Cassady had on people, the atmosphere at the Burroughs/Volmerr farm in Texas, the way various people responded to each other (positively and negative ...more
Rebecca
beautiful book about a great poet (the term writer is not fitting) told in the words of people who not just knew him but loved him and hated him, lived and died with him. must read if you're a true fan of kerouac, like i am.
Jack Goodstein
Keroac's friends, lovers and acquaintances wax eloquently at times not very coherently about the man they thought they knew. Hopefully from the mass of testimony some sort of truth emerges.
Allan
Great book. The personal reflections of the actual participants of Kerouac's stories, make this book a unique and valueable resource. Would recommend it to any Kerouac fan.
Michael Mayer
A most excellent book with tons of interviews with people who knew Kerouac intimately. I highly recommend this book if you enjoy Kerouac's work and other "beat" writers.
Matthew
I love reading tragedy and Kerouac's life is such a grand tragedy and to read about that tragedy from the people who knew and love him only makes that tragedy so much more grand.

Jack's Book offers great insight of how Kerouac touched the lives of so many people over the course of his brief life. I really enjoyed reading the words offered by Luanne Henderson mostly because of how Kerouac vilified her in On the Road that it was nice to hear her voice. Jack's Book is definitely tailored to the sea
Ronald Gregor
One of the best bios about Kerouac.
Linda Blinova
Ничего нового (хотя вообще сомнительно, что из биографий Керуака можно узнать что-то принципиально новое), но интересно и увлекательно. Автор обрастает тусовкой, персонажи его книг оживают и говорят своими голосами о нём. Получается, они меняются с автором местами. И наблюдать этот "зеркальный" эффект мне, например, крайне любопытно. Кроме того, хорошо для проработки контекста, потому что с программы "Керуак" переключаешься на программу "Керуак и ...", что расширяет, конечно же, горизонты.
Chuck O'Connor
Kerouac was my bridge from comic books to literature, when I was a teenager so he will always hold a nostalgic place for me. This book is a great presentation of his history. It is very sad. Another bright talent squandered by alcoholism. I came away sadder about Jack's slow-motion suicide now that I am about the same age as he was when he died.
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Michal Golis
Michal Golis marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
James
James marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Omar Gardner
Omar Gardner marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Ιφιγένεια
Ιφιγένεια marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Brynn
Brynn marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Natfoxxfiends
Natfoxxfiends marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Leigh Koonce
Leigh Koonce marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Who is Dan Moriarty? 1 1 Nov 03, 2014 05:52PM
  • Jack Kerouac: Angel-Headed Hipster
  • Desolate Angel: Jack Kerouac, The Beat Generation, And America
  • Kerouac: A Biography
  • Windblown World: The Journals of Jack Kerouac 1947-1954
  • Memory Babe: A Critical Biography of Jack Kerouac
  • Why Kerouac Matters: The Lessons of On the Road (They're Not What You Think)
  • Door Wide Open: A Beat Love Affair in Letters, 1957-1958
  • Off the Road: My Years with Cassady, Kerouac, and Ginsberg
  • Jack Kerouac: King of the Beats
  • The Typewriter Is Holy: The Complete, Uncensored History of the Beat Generation
  • The First Third
  • Women of the Beat Generation: The Writers, Artists and Muses at the Heart of a Revolution
Barry Gifford is an American author, poet, and screenwriter known for his distinctive mix of American landscapes and film noir- and Beat Generation-influenced literary madness.

He is described by Patrick Beach as being "like if John Updike had an evil twin that grew up on the wrong side of the tracks and wrote funny..."He is best known for his series of novels about Sailor and Lula, two sex-driven,
More about Barry Gifford...
Wild at Heart Perdita Durango Night People The Wild Life of Sailor and Lula Sailor's Holiday