The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Volume 3 (Large Print Edition)

The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Volume 3 (Large Print Edition)

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  443 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The Works of Edgar Allen Poe
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1902)

To ask other readers questions about The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Volume 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Volume 3

Warren
Truly not the best work of Poe.
Brian Cooke
I got this book for "The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym", having finished the rest I really think that that one was the weakest entry (because it was unfinished as far as I'm concerned). There are however a few real gems in here particularly "The Spectacles" and I have every intention of getting through the other 4 volumes for any more Poe works that I've missed in the haphazard approach I've taken in reading his work to date.
Conni
I'm not a huge Poe fan. I have only read some of his more acclaimed stories and poems. I bought this set to help me get an understanding for what the less popular stories were like. I have to say that the stories in this volume didn't impress me. Perhaps the other volumes will have a better offering.
John Cress
Overall, the highlight for me was Narrative of A. Gordon Pym which ended up being an adventure story that included a bit of everything from a doomed voyage and an unexplored island, kind of reminded me of the land that time forgot by Burroughs. A nice solid read
Dylan
Oct 23, 2008 Dylan marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
OCT 23, 2008 - Alright, so I put Edgar Alen Poe's entire body of work on 1001 books to read before I die, when I only need to read "The Pit and the Pendulem","The Purloined Letter" and "The Fall of the House of Usher." This is just easier for me to handle.
Denise
Being a fan of Moby Dick, had to read Pym of Nantucket. The story wonders and ends abruptly, however, a must read for Melville fans. Spectacles is humorous, King Pest is nicely bizarre, and Three Sundays is amusing.
David Donaghe
This is the third volume of The Works of Edgar Allan Poe that I have read. Everyone seems better than the last. All though Poe is known for his dark tales, I also enjoy his description and his sense of humor.
B. Zedan
Nov 10, 2008 B. Zedan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Folks who like to read about terrible travels
And here we have the travelogues. The Narrative of A. Gordon Pym is a mindfuck, let's leave it at that.

King Pest is pretty sick, though. I very much want to illustrate it.

Annette Radcliff
this one was not a favorite of one of poe's books for me. it was good, but i read it really fast to get thru it. it was not that interesting to me.
Nathan Shumate
19th century literary humor doesn't age well, unfortunately.
Mitch
May 13, 2009 Mitch marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
This hardbound book ~ Original print: Duffield & Co. New York, 1908
Dawn
Dawn is currently reading it
Aug 20, 2014
Jillian
Jillian marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Pamela Scott
Pamela Scott marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Carrie Bourgeois
Carrie Bourgeois marked it as to-read
Ken Freeman
Ken Freeman is currently reading it
Ross Estep
Ross Estep marked it as to-read
Heather Jarrett
Heather Jarrett marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
gae
gae marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • A Dog's Tale
  • The Gun
  • Little Wizard Stories of Oz
  • The Wisdom of Father Brown (Father Brown, #2)
  • This Crowded Earth
  • Cinderella
  • The Game
  • Bay's End
  • Books of Blood: Volume Six (Books of Blood, #6)
The name Poe brings to mind images of murderers and madmen, premature burials, and mysterious women who return from the dead. His works have been in print since 1827 and include such literary classics as “The Tell-Tale Heart,” “The Raven,” and “The Fall of the House of Usher.” This versatile writer’s oeuvre includes short stories, poetry, a novel, a textbook, a book of scientific theory, and hundr...more
More about Edgar Allan Poe...
The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings The Complete Stories and Poems The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Tales Essential Tales and Poems The Cask of Amontillado