Start by marking “City of Darkness: Life in Kowloon Walled City” as Want to Read:
Preview

4.71 of 5 stars 4.71  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Girard and Lambot spent four years exploring the notorious Walled City of Kowloon (Hong Kong), before its final clearance in 1992. With over 320 photographs, 32 extended interviews, and essays on the City's history and character, this reprint is not only an informative glimpse of a now vanished landmark but a sensitive and penetrating portrait of a unique community.
Published October 1st 1993 by Watermark Publications (UK) Ltd (first published August 31st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about City of Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City of Darkness

Domitille
Oct 12, 2009 Domitille rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: hongkong lovers, architecture lovers, ethnologists
Truly fascinating.

This book describes Kowloon Walled City which is a district in Hong Kong. The Walled City was destroyed in 1993. It had its own laws, and many traffics took place there, it was the triads kingdom, and many refugees used to live inside. But its for its incredible architecture that the place is the most interesting. Imagine a huge block, fourteen storeys high sometimes, and conceived by no architect whatsoever. With the years, corridors, floors were added. Inside, you cannot see
Jack
If you can find a copy of this book and can convince someone to let you paw through it, do so.

It's long out of print, collectible, and fragile due to the fact it's softcover. Did I mention it's expensive? It is, but oh, is it worth it!

I put off buying a copy for many years because it was just too expensive for a book I couldn't look at first -- and whose value I'd damage just by opening it. However, after reading Wikipedia's small section on Kowloon Walled City I was so intrigued that I knew I
Lil Sparrow
Love the photos. Love the stories. It's an amazing book which captures a part of Hong Kong so few of us really know or remember. And the amazing photos! This is a worthy tribute to the people who once lived in that walled city.

The book does cost a terrifying fortune, but I was lucky enough to persuade my parents to get it for me for Christmas. :D Definitely worth it, for me anyway, since I was and am deeply fascinated by the place. And did I mention the beautiful photos? I especially love one o
Yasmine
Absolutely excellent. Girard is a skillful photographer. He manages to capture the humanity, the tightness, the dreariness of the Walled City. It's worth the price, and worth finding. I highly recommend it.
Ann Klefstad
A dazzling account of a real place that's stranger than anything one could make up. There's a forward by William Gibson, who used the idea of this place in his book "Visible Light."
Tom
Amazing photography. Uneven text, but it does provide some fascinating insights into daily life inside what was Kowloon Walled City.
Polackio
If you can find a copy, buy it. A lavish photojournalistic record of the last four years (or so) of the Walled City of Kowloon before it was demolished, City of Darkness is a mesmerizing glimpse into a world that only existed for the briefest of moments in reality. The Kowloon that Greg Girard knew was only one of many Walled Cities that stood in that spot. There is a brief, but illustrative history of the site at the front of the book accompanied by historic photos. Most of it is just backgroun ...more
Margaret
Wonderful book. I was inspired to read it after à visit to Kowloon Walled City Park which is now part of a public garden in Kowloon. It was so beautiful and so quiet I wanted to know more about the "den of thieves,prostitutes and drug addicts " I 'd heard about. By reading this book I have discovered the other unexpected side: the resourcefulness of the ordinary people who lived there. And the photographs are revealing and at the same time stimulate the imagination.
Kate
Fascinating.

I should also say: Thank goodness for interlibrary loan. I read an article and saw some of the pictures from this book online (www.messynessychic.com via facebook) but I wouldn't have been able to read the whole thing without the cooperating libraries. YAY!
☯Bettie☯
City of Darkness: Life in Kowloon Walled City

china> architecture without an architect. Gormenghast chinese style.
ref> ebook> art-forms
summer 2013

Fantastic, hypnotising, just imagine living there...
Luckily it was pulled down early 90s

The photography is so very good. 5*
Dozo
Beautiful, sensitive and wonderfully put together mix of photos, interviews and journalistic articles on the Kowloon walled city. Possibly the best book ever on Hong Kong.
Victor Hardjono
Of my almost-4-years stay in HK, I never thought an area like Kowloon Wall City did exist. It's beyond imagination, and this book captures it very well
J
Fantastic photography, interviews not so great, but as the only work ever written about a fantastic place, I have to say it's a must-read.
Tam
Kowloon Walled City: a remarkable amount of industry against a backdrop of seedy urban despair. A gorgeous book.
Bridget
beautiful photography book of a city that no longer exists
Scott
Fascinating.
w8z
w8z marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Hala
Hala marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Dan Slimmon
Dan Slimmon marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Henry
Henry marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Violetta Afanasyeva
Violetta Afanasyeva marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Alan Abdullah
Alan Abdullah marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Lana
Lana marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Alex Dabell
Alex Dabell marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Kerry Go
Kerry Go marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Bridget
Bridget marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Michal Golis
Michal Golis marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Jimemijan
Jimemijan marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Winnowyl Daemera
Winnowyl Daemera marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
  • Programs and Manifestoes on 20th-Century Architecture
  • The Perfect Medium: Photography and the Occult
  • The Last Eunuch Of China
  • (un)Fashion
  • The Hundred Years War: Volume I, Trial by Battle (Middle Ages Series)
City of Darkness: Revisited Kowloon Walled City Ecd: 30 Years of Energy Conscious Design Norman Foster, Buildings and Projects: Volume 2: 1971 - 1978 Norman Foster, Buildings and Projects: Volume 1: 1964 - 1971