Watch Me Die

Watch Me Die

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  233 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Harvey Mapes is a 26-year-old security guard who spends his nights in a guard shack outside a gated community in Southern California, reading detective novels, watching reruns, and waiting for his life to finally start... which happens when Cyril Parkus, one of the wealthy residents, asks Harvey to follow his beautiful wife Lauren.

The lowly security guard jumps at the oppo...more
Published June 8th 2011 by Adventures in Television (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Watch Me Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Watch Me Die

Robert Vaughan
Jul 19, 2014 Robert Vaughan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone that likes Detective shows.
I found Lee Goldberg by reading his Monk series. This is the second non-Monk book by him I have read and it was very pleasing. A short book that rolled right along smoothly and kept me in it until the end. A great way to kill 2.5-3 hours and you won't even know the time had passed.

I like the constant references to the protagonists TV heroes and the fact that he never quite learns that he is not on TV. Not very realistic storytelling but, lets face it, Mr. Goldberg is a TV writer, it's to be exp...more
David
Watch Me Die is a mystery novel that draws you in. The story has plenty of twists and turns and the writer's droll and witty voice entertains throughout.
Michael Donnelly
Mystery/detective piece, lots of satire, very well done, and a nice surprise.

About halfway through the work I felt as if the writer had finished the book and was looking to fill words to make a novel, but I was happy I continued, as it picked up and ended with a nice twist.

This is not literary fiction, but for a snowy Saturday, or a getaway at the beach, this will do well.

The humor is done well also, which isn't common in novels, but pushes this from approachable to something worth picking up.
Nathan Shumate
"Watch Me Die" was originally published under the title "The Man With the Iron-On Badge," a title which better fits the serio-comic story of a security guard who wants to be the kind of private eye he’s read about in dozens of paperback novels. Goldberg, who’s one of the most credible voices of the new self-published revolution (credible because he was originally one of its detractors until the weight of evidence convinced him otherwise), originally self-republished the ebook version under the o...more
Tom
This was a fun book for mystery fans like me. The protagonist, Harvey Mapes, has a tedious job, working as a security guard in a super exclusive subdivision. The only thing that makes the job bearable is that he can lose himself in his favorite paperback mysteries. He's obsessed with Jim Rockford.

One of the rich residents hires Harvey to follow his wife, which seems like the beginning of his new and exciting Private Investigator career. It doesn't take much for Harvey to come up with an answer....more
Stephanie Diaz
A new twist on old noir. Suspenseful and actually pretty moving. His voice is really funny. Actually lout loud at Harvey's musings on how being a private eye isn't anything like Spenser, Mannix, or Travis McGee.
Samantha
Good story

A pretty good story written in first person. Would definitely read more by this author. I finished it in one day because I couldn't put it down.
Chuckles
Mystery fanatic become private eye

This is my second book of this genre and it is a great book. there was a lot of cliché detective expected by Harvey and up in till he solved the crime, it was his reasoning and for any mystery readers. THIS IS A MUST!
Sally A. Mittl
Good Read

I enjoyed the story. The writing style was good. Best was that it was funny. I'd recommend to anyone who likes to read.
Susan Wang
As a mystery/thriller fan, this book seemed rather a waste of time. The main character is an inexperienced security guard whose three-stooges-like personality goes on and on with needless narration that interferes with the storyline. His success as a newbie private investigator is all due to good luck, as the level of his IQ appears below average, and his needs for food, sex, money, and fame all seem to be at levels of desperation.

Take away all the daydreaming and the book would be left with ju...more
Linda
Harvey Mapes is a security guard for a gated community who is recruited by one of the tenants to follow his wife. Soon Mapes is finding himself in the situations he's read in mystery novels and seen on TV.
I almost didn't make it past the first couple chapters, because the head of an immature, slacker 26-year old boy is a really unpleasant place to be. However, the humor and the deft plotting pulled me through, and I am glad I stuck with it. Mapes does grow as a character, and the nods to some of...more
Susan
Harvey Mapes is a night guard in a shack at the gated entrance to a tony LA community. One of the residents wants to hire him to watch his wife. He wants to pay money. Harvey has seen all the detective shows on TV - how hard could it be?

This is a great and easy read. I had it on my Kindle which I picked up only on weekends at brunch. Even at this sporadic schedule the store was easy to follow. This is my second of Golderg's novels an it won't be my last. Not important literature only very entert...more
Lianne
This was quite a fun book, if a little lightweight. The main character is the fairly likeable Security Guard/PI Wannabe Harvey Mapes. I did find some of his daydreaming a bit irritating though, and not as funny as the author probably intended! It's a fairly straight forward story line with no great plot twist or in-depth investigating, but enjoyable all the same. I normally prefer darker thrillers, but this is fine for a light-hearted, easy read or those that prefer their mysteries a little ligh...more
Robin
Harvey Mapes learns a thing or two in this first of the series, most of it not about detecting but being detected. Despite a vicious beating, Harvey escapes the hospital the way his novel and television private eye heroes do. There is a type of private eye who will not die...the one who lives in the imagination. A non-taxing read, made more enjoyable by the Harvey's ability to see his own flaws.
Ryan
I loved this book. It is a standard run of the mill detective novel however it separates itself by poking fun at your popular detective characters from page 1. While the main character isn't a detective he wishes he was. He is given the opportunity and the fun begins. It was a fun ride for myself. If you enjoy wise cracking traditional detective stories you will enjoy this book.
Annie Bailey
Apr 30, 2011 Annie Bailey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Annie by: Lee Goldberg Website
Shelves: favorites
What a great read! I was guessing the why up until almost the very end and talk about a shocker! Lee Goldberg did a fantastic job keeping the reader guessing the entire time and there were all the right twists and turns to make for a great read. I hope he brings back Harvey Mapes character in the future.
GregP
Lee Goldberg did a good job! He mixed a down-to-earth character, a wanna-be detective, added humor, and a kinda intense murder plot into a very interesting novel. I didn't realize that Goldberg wrote the Monk TV series based on his books. I recommend this writer!!
Adithyajones
An excellent PI novel. Lee captures the life of PI wannabe security guard's life with authenticity with dollops of humor. Loved the fast pacing, Lee's simple yet powerful style of writing.
Lynn Demsky
Lee Goldberg amazes me with his writing talent! A unique type of story and surprised me. Enjoyed reading it and look forward to more!
Gretchen
So good I almost didn't put it down. Highly recommended, especially for anyone who enjoyed all the old mystery series on TV.
Lillie
Aug 19, 2012 Lillie marked it as abandoned
It took only a few pages for me to realize this has to much explicit language, sex, and violence for my taste.
Lynette Barfield
Second book by Goldberg. Totally satisfied.
Keith
slightly humourous detective story
  • Disintegration
  • No Time To Run
  • Blown Away
  • Dark Side of the Moon (Laura Cardinal #2)
  • Past Imperfect
  • Bone Dry (A Blanco County Mystery #2)
  • 65 Proof
  • Rashomon Gate (Sugawara Akitada, #2)
  • Killing Faith (A Gabriel De Sade Thriller)
  • Blood and Groom (A Sasha Jackson Mystery #1)
  • Bold Counsel (The Trials of Sarah Newby, #3)
  • Gray Resurrection (Tom Gray, #2)
  • Blood Of Others
  • Julius Katz Mysteries
  • The Mummy Case (Jim Knighthorse, #2)
  • The Weight of Glass
  • The Hydrogen Murder (Periodic Table, #1)
  • Border Crossings
New York Times Bestselling author Lee Goldberg is a two-time Edgar Award nominee whose many TV writing and/or producing credits include "Martial Law," "SeaQuest," "Diagnosis Murder,""Hunter," "Spenser: For Hire," "Nero Wolfe," "Missing." "Monk" and "The Glades." He's also the author of "The Heist" (with Janet Evanovich), "The Walk," "Watch Me Die," "King City," the "Dead Man" series, as well as th...more
More about Lee Goldberg...
Mr. Monk Goes to the Firehouse (Mr Monk, #1) Mr. Monk Goes to Hawaii (Mr Monk, #2) The Walk Mr. Monk and The Blue Flu (Mr Monk, #3) Mr. Monk and The Two Assistants (Mr Monk, #4)