Start by marking “The Legend Of The Worst Boy In The World” as Want to Read:
The Legend Of The Worst Boy In The World

The Legend Of The Worst Boy In The World (Legend of... #3)

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  309 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Will is desperate to win the Giant Jelly Baby competition and be named 'the best boy in the world'. But his big brother Marty always beats him to it. Then one day Will's wish comes true - he's the best boy in the world at last! Marty is not happy, and decides that something must be done.
Hardcover
Published December 1st 2007 by Puffin Bks (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Legend Of The Worst Boy In The World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Legend Of The Worst Boy In The World

Anna Scott
Jul 24, 2012 Anna Scott rated it it was amazing
‘The Legend of the Worst Boy in the World’ is a wonderfully written book centred around Will Woodman and his family. Nine year old Will is the second oldest of five boys. While Will’s younger brothers constantly crave the attention of their mother, Will’s older brother Marty seizes any spare moment his father has. Therefore, Will feels as though he has no grown-up to tell his problems to. However, Will then decides that his grandfather is the perfect person to share his troubles with. Grandad ag ...more
Dale
Sep 17, 2014 Dale rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grade-3-4
Would be a good story to read aloud with Grade 3/4s. Interesting the me, me, me attitude and the moral at the end.
Serena.. Sery-ously?
Io VENERO Eoin Colfer. Penso che sarei disposta a tutto pur di incontrarlo una volta, avere un autografo e poter dire "Io l'ho conosciuto!" *_*
Tornando a noi.. Questo libro è semplicemente delizioso! Nessuno al mondo sa scrivere come scrive Colfer, poco ma sicuro!
Sento che dovrei provare un po' di imbarazzo per essermi cimentata in questa lettura, ma la verità è: datemi qualsiasi cosa che Colfer ha scritto e sarò la donna più contenta al mondo XD
L'ho letto in mezz'ora scarsa, ma ciò è dovuto al
Paul Greer
Sep 12, 2011 Paul Greer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
The Legend of: The Worst Boy in the World is the second story I have read by Eoin Colfer. Again, it is about a young boy Will who has three brothers. Will is the second oldest and he is constantly battling for the attention of his parents, and can never seem to find time to discuss his serious problems as his brothers keep his parents with their own issues (sticky up hair, or the need for a snooker table in the garage). Will therefore decides to use his grandfather as a weekly sounding board of ...more
Cyndi
Mar 15, 2016 Cyndi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I used to think how great it would be to have a big brother. Now, not so much. These books are delightful and hilarious!
Naseer Rupani
Oct 26, 2015 Naseer Rupani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book enormously. It has great humour and characters children can easily relate to.

The story is of a boy who needs someone to share his problems with. His mother and father are simply too busy, but help is at hand from his grandfather. But every time Marty tells his grandfather of his recent problems, his grandfather is always able recall an event that happened to him which was far worse ! Marty enlists the help of his Dad to recall an event in his early years which surely his gra
Pleb Teacher
Apr 03, 2015 Pleb Teacher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Both boys and girls, grades 2-4
Recommended to Pleb by: Council library; known author
What do great writers do? They write for multiple ages and in different genres.

As a fan of the Artemis Fowl series (Sci Fi for middle school), I decided to try a few of Colfer's primary school-age books, starting with this one.

Another few lessons that good writers do: they experience life, and they tell stories.

It was a bit meta – a story about telling stories. The protagonist goes through his weeks trying to come up with terrible things that happen to him. He experiences life by doing so, and h
Andrew
Jul 29, 2011 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of fun.
Jessica
I enjoyed this book . It's humor is clever. I really enjoyed the grandfather too trying to out complain the boy.

The new vocabulary was hilarious: canniva- translation, can I have
snoffair-translation It's no fair

This book was good, but the other two were better.
Matti Karjalainen
Valtsua nyppii, kun viisilapsisen perheen vanhemmilla ei ole oikein aikaa kuunnella hänen huoliaan ja murheitaan. Mutta sitten hän keksii, että majakanvartijana työskentelevä ukkihan voisi toimia tukihenkilönä. Se sopii ukille, mutta vain sillä ehdolla, että Valtsu suostuu myös kuuntelemaan hänen murheitaan. Ja ukin murheetpa eivät olekaan ihan sieltä pienimmästä päästä. Valtsun nolo kertomus vessassa käynnistä ei ole mitään verrattuna ukin vastaavaan tarinaan... Kunnes äiti kertoo karmean tarin ...more
Mj
Jun 27, 2015 Mj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All of these books are full of humor, which is definitely what made us read them. I really liked how the moral of the story came up in the book so I was able to have that conversation with my student more clearly. I recommend all of the "The Legend of" books by Colfer.
Maria
Growing up with four brothers isn’t easy for any young boy, and this is certainly the case for nine year old Will. Will’s brothers enjoy complaining to their parents about their numerous troubles which doesn’t leave Will much time to do the same. Frustrated, Will decides to ask his Grandad if he can confide in him. Grandad happily obliges on one condition; he also gets to share his stories with Will.
However, things don’t work out as planned for Will as each week Grandad has a more exciting and u
Kim Burean
This was a quick, lightweight read that would appeal to reluctant readers. It has a catchy title, and weaves humor all the way through. It would be good for kids in grades 2-4.

Will has four brothers, so he has to compete for the attention of his parents. It seems that they are always tied up with one of the other brothers, and Will has no one to talk to or tell his troubles to. He decides to try out his grandad as a listener. Grandad is great, except that he always tops Will's stories. When Will
Nikki
I read this a few years ago and enjoyed it with my kids!
† V A R I U S ♚ A V I T U S †
Love Eoin Colfer. So much.
Beth
May 13, 2007 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth, fiction, series
This is the third book in the series. This is such a cute book! The main character Will has four brothers and in this book, Will feels that is brothers have worn their parents down with complaints so he needs to find someone else to complain too. So he choices his grandpa. Well, this is great but his grandpa has a story even better than his own so he needs to find the ultimate story to top his grandfather's stories! Yes, there is a moral to the story and this is a great book for younger kids, 1s ...more
Chiara
Nice book with the jelly baby.
Zippy
Nov 27, 2009 Zippy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It was a super short read, but fun and witty, and with a really good message which totally took me by surprise. I checked it out for my picky eight-year-old without really looking at what it was (Eoin Colfer is great, so how bad could it be), and he read it and liked it so I picked it up. My husband even read it, and liked it and he rarely finishes my recommended reads. A great book for just about any reader.
Jenny
Nov 16, 2013 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this with my seven year old son tonight in one sitting. It was a nice book to read aloud. It made us laugh out loud several times, brought up some good things about family dynamics that we talked about for a minute, and ended with a nice moral about perspective.

Nicky Pendley- I thought of you when I read this since the main character is the second boy in a family of five boys. Your boys might like it.
Suvi
Nov 06, 2012 Suvi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vinkattavat, kakkoset
Valtsulla on paljon asioita, joista hän haluaisi puhua. Koska äidillä ja isällä on kova kiire kuunnella Valtsun veljiä, Valtsu kääntyy ukin puoleen. Ukki ja Valtsu päättävät kilpailla kurjimmalla mahdollisella kertomuksella. Valtsun kurjin kertomus onkin sitten jo aika kurja ja hurja... Ja kirjan nimi ei välttämättä viittaakaan Valtsuun...

Vinkkaukseen niille, joilla on kammottava isoveli.
Ingrid
I really enjoyed the Legend of Spud Murphy and I was not sure how this book would compare with that one. I still like the Legend of Spud Murphy a bit better, but I really enjoyed this book. Will doesn't have anyone to tell his complaints to because his parents always seem to be listening to his brothers' complaints. Will then tells his troubles to his Grandad and learns a good lesson
Amanda
Eoin Colfer once again knocks one out of the park (or off the pitch, whatever)

One of the problems with having more siblings than parents is that no one is around to listen to you problems. Will finds someone to sympathize with him and learns a lesson in the process.

Read this! It's funny and teaches a great lesson.
Libby Ames
Anna liked it, but was really distressed about the older brother sending his 2 year old brother toward a busy street. We had to read extra long that night to get past the tension and make sure everything turned out alright. If you have devious children, don't let them read it. It might give them ideas.
Jenny
Sep 08, 2008 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 7 - 10 year olds
Cute story about a 9 year old boy named Will who feels his 3 brothers get attention before he can voice his problems. Fortunately of unfortunately his Grandpa steps up to hear him only Will feels his problems pale to his Grandpa's until.......there is a moral here....
Luke Dillard
Nov 11, 2013 Luke Dillard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wills brother is still a baby that spends most of his time getting his diaper changed. Only marty and Will were the only people that were aloud to roam the house. The only thing that will slightly remembers is the jelly belly. he takes his dads word for it.
Dawn
Aug 06, 2008 Dawn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-lit
Another tale of the Woodman brothers (first introduced in The Legend of Spub Murphy). This story is told from the perspective of the second of five sons, Will. His troubles seem huge until he shares them with his Grandad who always has a worse tale to share.
Daniel
Coming to love the works of Eoin Colfer. This has a nice touch of teaching a moral as well as teaching what a "moral of a story" is. Looking forward to reading more to the Kidz.
Bill Prosser
Good beginning chapter book story. Has some funny parts and a message. Kids will enjoy it and be able to get through it pretty quickly. I liked the simplicity of it for kids.
Sep 22, 2010 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Very short cute Chapter book. Just enough to be interesting to young boys, and yet avoid the potty humor that seems rampant in this type of book.
Rebecca
Sep 24, 2010 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Read in one sitting with my 7 year old. We laughed out loud quite a bit and enjoyed talking about the moral of the story.
  • Dory and the Real True Friend
  • Freddy Goes Camping
  • Akimbo and the Elephants
  • Dog Diaries: Secret Writings of the WOOF Society
  • Melonhead
  • Emmaline and the Bunny
  • Toys Go Out: Being the Adventures of a Knowledgeable Stingray, a Toughy Little Buffalo, and Someone Called Plastic (Toys, #1)
  • The Memory Bank
  • Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Writing Thank-you Notes
  • The Loch Ness Punster (43 Old Cemetery Road, #7)
  • The Black Paw (Spy Mice, #1)
  • Allergic to the Great Wall, the Forbidden Palace, and Other Tourist Attractions (Alvin Ho, #6)
  • You Can Count on Monsters
  • The Seven Keys of Balabad
  • The Dunderheads Behind Bars
  • No Girls Allowed (Dogs Okay) (Secrets of a Lab Rat, #1)
  • Just Patty
  • SPHDZ (Spaceheadz, #1)
Eoin Colfer (pronounced Owen) was born in Wexford on the South-East coast of Ireland in 1965, where he and his four brothers were brought up by his father and mother, who were both educators.

He received his degree from Dublin University and began teaching primary school in Wexford. He has lived and worked all over the world, including Saudi Arabia, Tunisia and Italy. After the publication of the A
More about Eoin Colfer...

Legend of... (3 books)