Dr. Mukti and Other Tales of Woe

Dr. Mukti and Other Tales of Woe

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  236 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Dr Mukti and Other Tales of Woe features a novella and short stories that delves into the murky world of mental illness and sinister goings on.
Published January 1st 2004 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC

Prakash
Corybantic, heliocentric, ramified, ebullition, catatonic, confute, coprolites, transom, atavistic, febrile, atemporal, sentience, echt, fervid, conurbation... Will Self-help for the vocab challenged!

Michael Palkowski
I propose a literary drinking game whereby every single time you spot the word "oblong" used in Will Self's oeuvre (and especially the story "161" in this collection), take a shot of vodka. This might have the simultaneous bonus of distracting you as a reader from the blandness of the stories told here and making you so drunk, that you can no longer see the words anyways.

161 loses steam fast, nascent as a contemporary tell tale heart which disappointingly becomes beguiling and rushed. The charac...more
Velvetink
Borrowed this from the library sometime ago. Just remembered now I'd read it after looking at someone else's shelves. This writer really excited me...love how he writes. I haven't seen another book by him anywhere. Must remember to track more of his work down.
Phil
As I said in connection with "How The Dead Live", I count myself a born-again Will Self fan (a Selfie ?) and I love his mordant, poetically- surprising style. That said, this collection of short stories is uneven in the quality of its imagination and execution. The opening piece, "Dr Mukti", which occupies two- thirds of it, is a tour de force exposition of psychiatry shading into psychosis, and stands with any of Self's best work. It alone is what gets the book its 4 stars. Everything else is p...more
Gamestheory
This is a dreadful book, symptomatic of everything that is bad about a bad, self-regarding, narcissistic writer - to say nothing of the undeserved applause he gets from insufficiently critical readers. Not only are Self's ideas weak, so is the expression of them. He writes without listening to what he's writing, and doesn't seem to hear when his thought has got lost in its own clumsy decoration. His asks his sentences to perform tasks that are too complex for him to pull off capably. Irrespectiv...more
Graham
This short story collection (which I'm only part way through) is strange and disturbing, as I suppose you'd gather from the title. But Self creates an engaging world and characters tweaked but believable.
Very descriptive language, which is a nice change from the largely spare short-story writing I've been reading lately.
L. Chamberlain
Will Self is one of those authors I just can't make my mind up about, but inexplicably continue reading. I definitely feel like I am entering Self's world upon picking up his work, and it is unequivocally a painful, disturbing place. The thought keeps coming back to me that his work is clever, very clever, but do I like it?
Caroline
Well its as read as it'll ever be I finished Dr. Mukti (the novella) and 161, the first of the short stories. I really liked 161. Dr. Mukti good too, more in parts the the overall deal. It was interesting to encounter an older version of Zack Busner, wonder what brought him back to the character in Umbrella..
Robby
Damn. This is an amazing collection. The stories unwind like the carving of a rotten apple...the writing is some of the best, and each story is like nothing you have ever read before - I promise!

And there is enough blasting humor to cut some of the intense degradation...
Henry
Loved the Mukti tale. The prose is dazzling yet convoluted, the stories are darkly funny and inventive so why not four stars, perhaps it's the tone that gets a little tiresome, there only seems to be one voice here but never mind that just relish in the width of those sentences.
Paul
I read this as it's the first outing of the psychiatrist character from Self's new book Umbrella. It is a collection of short stories/ novellas, which passed the time, but I won't rush off for the new book just yet, I think I can wait for the paperback.
Chris
Five short stories, 4 of which were very entertaining, with novel ideas expressed smartly. This is the first Will Self book I have finished and I may try another.
Iain Martin
One of Self's career highlights. Read my review here: http://bookfacereturns.blogspot.ae/20...
Barry
A couple of short stories from elsewhere and some continuation of his debut. Good stuff.
Ed Flores
Ed Flores marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Candice Clarke
Candice Clarke marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
William Self is an English novelist, reviewer and columnist. He received his education at University College School, Christ's College Finchley, and Exeter College, Oxford. He is married to journalist Deborah Orr.

Self is known for his satirical, grotesque and fantastic novels and short stories set in seemingly parallel universes.
More about Will Self...
Great Apes The Book of Dave: A Revelation of the Recent Past and the Distant Future How the Dead Live The Quantity Theory of Insanity My Idea of Fun

“She told him that every ring in the window for sale was a tale of woe, a ductile band of happiness that had been shaped easily into sorrow” 0 likes