The Cost of Betrayal (The Half-Orcs, #2)

The Cost of Betrayal (Half-Orcs #2)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  908 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Their prophet dead and their home lost, the half-bloods Harruq and Qurrah Tun form a strained alliance with a band of mercenaries outside the city of Veldaren.

As the brothers and their allies wage a private war against powerful thief guilds, divine forces threaten to tear them apart and ruin any hope for a better life.

Harruq must do everything he can to defend his family,...more
Published March 25th 2010 by Eschaton Press

To ask other readers questions about The Cost of Betrayal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cost of Betrayal

J.M.
Apr 24, 2011 J.M. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to J.M. by: David Dalglish
I'm not even going to try to write a review after reading Robert J. Duperre's. Suffice to say, David Dalglish's THE COST OF BETRAYAL was one of the most depressing novels I've ever had the pleasure to read.

Duperre's review of A SLIVER OF REDEMPTION also covers THE COST OF BETRAYAL in many ways: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Also: Yes, it took me a while to read this book (if you pay attention to such things), but not for lack of interest. I just have a LOT going on so far this year, so...more
Kurtis Story
What can I say - if you read my review of the first book, you'll have a lot of the second. Bigger magic, bigger battles, bigger violence, but the same quality of writing.

I will say the plot is more intricate in this book, and at some points I almost started enjoying it. Almost being the key word... But again I know Dalglish can do it from another book I read, and I will continue the series.
Derek
Herein Harruq and Qurrah meet up with a band of mercenaries and go about their lives in the wake of former lives as terrible, terrible people. Harruqs trying to move past it. Qurrah? Not so much.

The problem is, while this books supposed to be the growth of these characters, showing how things are changing since the action of The Weight of blood, theres not really any character development. While some of the news characters have their amusing moments, for the most part they dont really add anyth...more
Anne
The second book in the Half-Orc series is another success. Continuing the story of the half-orc brothers Tun, in this installment they find friends and family of sorts. This book is somewhat of a dark fantasy but I found myself actively hoping for redemption for both brothers. While Hurruq seems to embrace salvation, I still hope that Qurrah finds it, as well.

As for the fantasy aspect of the book, it's a fairly generic fantasy world. I don't mean this in a bad way, just that it reminded me heavi...more
Shag
Book two in the series, it is almost like the author felt bad for having written the dark first book and attempted to make up for it in this one. I was thourouly let down as the focus changed from the brothers to the new hero group trying to save the world, leaving the dark story as a sideline.
H.L. Reasby
This series is definitely not for the faint of heart. Things take a much darker and more dangerous turn in this book; evil deeds are committed and some of those doing them feel no regret or conscience about it.
Cypher1014
Far more emotionally evocative than the first book.

If you read this, prepare yourself to think "He _couldn't_" (the author) just before he does.
Robert Duperre
Rating: 5 out of 5

Let me preface this by saying that normally I like to sit on a book a few days before I review it. This allows me time to ponder the meaning of the story in greater detail, to mull over the finer aspects of the storytelling and decide whether my initial, guttural reaction was indeed true, or if I was simply caught up in the moment. Sometimes a book I loved will appear lesser after time, sometimes one I loathed will be struck with new meaning. This balance is what I seek and wha...more
Shelley
Harruq and Qurrah attempt to take control of their own lives; Hurruq wants to change from the monster he became, and Qurrah wants to become better, in his own way...

New characters are introduced, and the relationships lighten the conversation and lends proof that at least Harruq wants to be no more than anyone else, but so much more than he had been. the author protrays Harruq's attempts really well, and it seems the half-orc is on his way to redemption.

However, problems between the brothers er...more
James
I'm Torn between giving this two stars and three stars - because there were parts that I liked, and, to an extent, I did enjoy reading it. But, there were many places were it erred and which I felt... lacked something.

On one hand it is two stars, on the other three stars. So, I will give it Two and a half stars, but, because I feel I may have been harsh with this review, I will round up to three - and I did like it, so this is not a guilty choice, but a relatively accurate one.

Carrying on from...more
Simon
The Cost of Betrayal by David Dalglish is the second book in the Half-Orcs series. I thoroughly enjoyed the first book but this one just really sealed the deal for me as I am now 100% positive that I will be seeing this entire series through. Reading The Cost of Betrayal really reminds me of the good old days of fantasy books. It's really hard to describe this feeling if you're not a fan of the genre. The only thing that saddens me is that not many readers know of the author. On many top fantasy...more
Jamie
Apr 24, 2011 Jamie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jamie by: hector
The Cost of Betrayal is the second book of the Half-Orc series. I can't believe how quickly I became a fan of these books. My boyfriend introduced them to me and I wasn't really expecting to like them at all. I played along because I didn't want to hurt his feelings by rejecting it. I admit I was judging a book by it's cover again, but then again who doesn't. It wasn't just the covers that threw me off though, it was the entire genre. I'm not one who necessarily goes for the fantasy books that i...more
Aditya /
One of the best books I've ever read. In the first book, David barely had me reading. There was world creation, and introduction to the main characters. But in the second book, David has hit his stride: here the characters have depth, they are multifaceted, the turns in the story are more than slight curves, they are weaves in time on a fabric that is not straight. It is his day-to-day dialogue and actions of the characters that makes this book amazing. The writing for Tarlak was brilliant in th...more
Arni Vidar Bjorgvinsson
I don't particularly like writing reviews for single books in a series of books. Maybe the reason is that if it's bad I'll just not read more than the first one, and if it's good I'll read them all back to back, as one book.

But in a note at the end of the book, the author asked the reader to please review the book by whatever means. I must do as asked, but all I can say is this:

This is the second of five books. I'm loving the story and I very much look forward to reading the other three! My want...more
R.M. Fraser
I have to say, I really enjoyed the first book, and was a little let down in the beginning of this one. Good thing that was short lived, just a couple of chapters or so. After that, it felt like David got his flow really working and the rest of the book was great! I really enjoy how the story is shaping out to be. By the end of the book the depth of the main characters really opened up to me. You really have something here David, and I'm hooked! Moving on to number three. If the beginning had th...more
Austin
4.5. This is the second book in the Half-Orcs and it was a good one. This dark fantasy that is packed full of action will keep you reading. It follows the story of the Tun brothers (Harruq and Qurrah) as the join up with mercenaries. While Hurraq falls even more in love with Aurelia and sticks with the mercenaries, Qurrah falls in love with a mysterious girl named, Tessanna. This combo creates a lot of dark fantasytype of action that this book is filled with. I really liked the mercanaries as ch...more
Bryce Fischer
Glad I didn't give up after the first book. While not bad, I found the first to be a bit cliche. While this book can be classified as the same, it seemed to do a much better job and telling a story. I finally felt some some empathy for the main characters. Neither of the brothers are easy to like, especially not Qurah, but at least in this one, we can at least understand them a bit better. Reading the 3rd book in the series now and glad I didn't give up on it.
Brendan Carroll
The second of the Half-Orc series was just as impelling as the first. The writing was first rate dark fantasy, the action was non-stop and the characters well developed. David Dalglish makes the reader appropriately hate/love/like/dislike the characters by his indepth descriptions of how they feel about what is happening to them. I feel torn between sympathy and dislike for even the worst of the worst. This is great writing.
Casey
The second book in this series is more tightly written but the characters remain the same full-fleshed, believable people. Both main half-orc characters are pulled in two directions-- one way, they make their brother happy. The other way, they are true to themselves. Their decisions and choices lead to tremendous consequences.
Joy
This is a bridge novel with most of it spent on developing the relationships of the half-orcs and their motivations for future books. This ties it into his newest series 'The Watcher's Blade' but I did have some confusion with time lines. Characters that are alive in the Watcher story who die in this one???
Annelie
This is the second installment in the Half Orc series and I must say that so far this was my favourite of the two books. I read the Shadowdance trilogy before this and anything that can give me my fix of the watcher is well worth the read.
D.P. Prior
Aug 07, 2010 D.P. Prior rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of Sword & Sorcery, D&D
Excellent follow-up to "The Weight of Blood" which introduces the extra dynamics of love interests for the brothers who are following divergent paths. Great action scenes and relentless tension.
James Riley
I don't usually like morally grey books but I find the balance and symmetry between the brothers and their lives immensely satisfying.
Sean
Another great element of the David Dalgish fantasy world. Thankfully less dark than the first Half Orc novel, but just as addictive.
Leb29
I really enjoyed this book cause it pretty much shows the difference between the brothers now. I will be continuing to read the series.
David
awesome story that's continues to tell the life of the half orc brothers. I loved every bit of this book
Bryan Ewert
The first half felt a little too much like a soap opera, but the second half is all action.
Catherine
I love to hate it is all I can say....I'm of two minds to read the next one. Unless it's free.
Freddy Fly
Read all the books and found it a great way to spend some time on the different journeys
The Cost of Betrayal 8 21 Dec 11, 2012 11:40AM
  • Blood of the Mantis (Shadows of the Apt, #3)
  • Ships from the West (The Monarchies of God, #5)
  • Uprising (Vampire Federation, #1)
  • Blood of the Earth (Sovereign of the Seven Isles, #4)
  • Avempartha (The Riyria Revelations, #2)
  • Light of Requiem (Song of Dragons, #3)
  • The Wayfarer King (Kinshield Saga, #2)
  • The Heretic's Treasure (Ben Hope #4)
  • The Line of Illeniel (Mageborn, #2)
  • Threshold (Boundary, #2)
  • Star Soldier (Doom Star, #1)
  • Clan Daughter (Queen of the Orcs, #2)
  • The Dragonswarm (Dragonprince Trilogy, #2)
A Dance of Cloaks (Shadowdance, #1) A Dance of Blades (Shadowdance, #2) A Dance of Death (Shadowdance, #3) The Weight of Blood (The Half-Orcs, #1) Night of Wolves (The Paladins, #1)