Start by marking “Sneaky Sheep ” as Want to Read:
Sneaky Sheep

Sneaky Sheep

Blossom and Rocky are sheepvery sneaky sheep. They are not very smart sheep, as readers will seefirst there were the poker games, the skateboard ramp, then the knitters Murphy, the sheep dog, knows to keep an eye on this pair, but they still manage to sneak off and get into all kinds of trouble.
Published September 1st 2010 by Carolrhoda Books

To ask other readers questions about Sneaky Sheep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sneaky Sheep

Kaethe
Feb 06, 2014 Kaethe rated it it was amazing
In our house a preschooler who broke away and made a run for it was always a Runaway Bunny, even though I found that book kind of creepy. Actually, really creepy. This is a fine alternative. Adults will appreciate the elaborate metaphor of parents as watchful sheepdogs, keeping their charges out of harm, while the kids are sneaky sheep, getting into all kinds of danger and/or trouble. Kids will appreciate the subversion of the sheep.

It's cute, it's fun, it's not heavy-handed at all. Probably all
Betsy
Sep 17, 2010 Betsy rated it really liked it
If an author/illustrator redefines picturebookdom's understanding of the relationship between monkeys and their tool belts, it's difficult to predict where they may go next. Chris Monroe is one such puzzle to me. Most picture book author/illustrators that come from other mediums tend to hail from the world of animation. Far fewer, interestingly enough, come from the world of comic strips (and those that do don't tend to be memorable). That's where Ms. Monroe is different. When she stepped onto t ...more
Nicole
Aug 19, 2015 Nicole rated it it was amazing
C loved this so much I had to read it to her three times in a row!
Chuck Knudsen
May 25, 2017 Chuck Knudsen rated it liked it
This would have been better if there was a way to tell Blossom and Rocky apart. Not a bow, please, but like a floppy ear or something might have helped. When I asked my nephew which he though was which, it was on the page where they actually name one and he guessed wrong. After that I gave up on figuring out which was which. :)
The Library Lady
Jul 21, 2011 The Library Lady rated it really liked it
I used to have 2 catfish in my tank named Sam & Ralph, in honor of the sheepdog and wolf who were the heroes of such Looney Tunes cartoons as "Sheep Ahoy". I could see my fish saying "Morning, Sam", "Morning, Ralph" as they passed each other by. Now there is one lone survivor who I alternately call Sam Ralph or Ralph Sam.

I bring up this whole megillah because Chris Monroe's book reminds me of those cartoons, only here it is the sheep (usually the victims)who take center stage while their she
Alexa Mazur
Sep 23, 2012 Alexa Mazur rated it really liked it
I loved this book! This book is about two sheep who want to travel over a mountain to the other meadow. They constantly beg and ask to go over there, but they are always told no. So they decide to try, multiple times, to sneak off. They are always caught and brought back. One day they finally manage to escape and they go over the mountain to the meadow. A wolf appears, and scares them so badly but another sheep finds them and saves them. They learned their lesson, and they stick with the other g ...more
Sue Poduska
Jul 21, 2011 Sue Poduska rated it really liked it
The title alone had me smiling. The story packs a lot into a very few words. Two sheep, Rocky and Blossom, want to move to a different meadow because they’re convinced the grass is greener there. Their sheepdog, Murphy, tries to protect them by keeping them in their own meadow, but they manage to slip away from him. Of course, the sheep run into a wolf who wants to eat them. After Murphy rescues them, the sheep decide the meadow they know is okay, at least for now. The illustrations are especial ...more
Joy
May 09, 2011 Joy rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Sneaky Sheep grabbed me with the wonderful title and adorable cover illustration. My grade schooler loves sheep and he was laughing throughout at the antics of sneaky sheep Rocky and Blossom and their faithful, protective sheepdog, Murphy. The plot is simple: Rocky and Blossom aren't content to stay in their meadow with the rest of the flock. They've gotten in loads of mischief in the past (running with scissors, refusing to wear helmets when skateboarding, playing poker with dogs!), much to the ...more
Bethe
Nov 18, 2012 Bethe rated it liked it
2 sneaky sheep have a history of escaping their sheepdog and when they finally succeed, he is there to save the day. Beginning readers may find the font difficult to read and the layout is frantic and crowded on some pages. However, who can resist the wonky faced sheep, especially when they are hiding in the sunflowers or playing poker with the famous card playing dogs? Didn't know this book was already in my school's collection, definitely need to share it with the PK-2 crowd.
Hans
Nov 29, 2010 Hans rated it really liked it
If you think sheep aren't daring enough to juggle fire, play poker with dogs, and run with scissors, you haven't met Rocky and Blossom. Join them on their peril-filled quest to get to the high meadow.

Gave as a gift and heard* this book went into heavy-rotation as the requested pre-bed book. So, don't take my word for it, take it from a kid who has a special place in his heart for a tool-belt wearing monkey and for this pair of sly ovine.

*or should I say "herd"
Amanda
Feb 04, 2013 Amanda rated it liked it
As an adult, this book was extremely predictable. It used the classic "if you don't listen to adults you will get in trouble" moral. I loved that the book used comic strip-like illustrations. The overall story was good for young readers, although it wasn't a book that stood out compared to others with the same moral.
Stephen
Oct 20, 2010 Stephen rated it it was ok
Ans then this happened... and then this happened... and there was this cliff... and then a wolf...

I seems like the storytelling could have been thought out more, the illustrations designed better, the layout of the pages been more interesting, the story itself not be so preachy. It wasn't beyond saving, this book, but nobody, editors and publishers and the like, put any love into it.
Asho
Eh, I wasn't really feeling this one. The illustrations were not interesting enough for my baby, but even judging this as the older kids' book it is intended to be, I thought the story was boring and predictable and the illustrations are not really my style (too comic-y). There were a couple of funny illustrations of sheep, but I don't think I'll be returning to this one.
Rebecca
Sneaky sheep Rocky and Blossom "had been known to make some bad decisions over the years." And yet they can't keep from sneaking away to the higher meadow, which looks so much better than their current meadow! I especially love that one of the dangers for sheep on the mountain is knitters. Funny and different -- don't miss it.
Barbara
Oct 29, 2013 Barbara rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Two mischievous sheep are hard at work in his fun read. They want to sneak away to the high meadow on the mountain but the sheep dog is very aware of their "bad decisions over the years". This book is perfect for a child one on one with his/her parent or caregiver. Kids will have lots of fun time and time again pouring through the humorous illustrations in Sneaky Sheep. Great for kids age 3-7.
Tracie
Sep 23, 2010 Tracie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture_books
Blossom and Rocky like to sneak off to have adventures...but they don't always make the best choices. Luckily, Murphy the sheep dog is very good at rescuing them. Blossom and Rocky's latest getaway game takes them deep into the forest...to a cliff...with a hungry wolf on it! Will Murphy find them in time? Just the right mix of funny and sweet.
Candace Perry
Aug 26, 2014 Candace Perry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime
Not only did I think this book was funny, my storytime kids did too. One little girl had to check it out after I was done reading it, and when her mother brought it back she said they must have read it 10 times. That's when you know it's a great children's book, can't get recommended an higher than that!
Reader
Sep 18, 2010 Reader rated it really liked it
The art is wonderfully simple, and has an unfinished quality to it. The adventures of the two sheep make for a great read-a-loud, and children will thoroughly love the antics of the naughty critters. C

Agreed. Monroe has a way with words and images. It was hard to top her previous book and its hero Chico Bon Bon, but I think that this one comes mighty close. Guaranteed to be adored. B

Moorhead Public Library
May 11, 2015 Moorhead Public Library rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Blossom and Rocky are sneaky sheep who keep attempting to escape Murphy the sheepdog. The are very sneaky, but poor decision makers, and Murphy is constantly saving them from the ridiculous situations they get in to. A hilarious storytime favorite!
Ms. Barry
Very funny and entertaining. IB PYP: risk-takers. Nope, these sheep (Blossom and Rocky) are not thinkers, balanced, knowledgeable, or reflective - this book an excellent way to reflect on these. Murphy (the herding dog) is all of these things.
Joanna
Feb 08, 2012 Joanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, picture-book
We love Chris Monroe at our house and this is another fun title with a basic story for my 3 year old and fun side comments for my 8 year old. Plus, look for the Chico Bon Bon on the tourist girl's shirt!
Jul 12, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: farm
Very cute! The illustrations are giggle-inducing and I just love the part where it says, "They'd been known to make some bad decisions over the years". This would be a good book to share in story time.
JoAnna Studer
Jul 31, 2013 JoAnna Studer rated it it was amazing
Rocky and Blossom are always trying to sneak away from the flock but Murphy the sheep dog is equal to the task of keeping them in line. This was a blast to read to our LO and we now understand the dangers of mountains such as steep cliffs and knitters...
Feb 19, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it
Sneaky sheep is cute, featuring an awesome dog named Murphy who knows what kind of mischief these sheep could get up to. I think my favorite part was when he warns them about the dangers and includes knitters.
Ashley
Sep 05, 2011 Ashley rated it it was amazing
2010 - Fantasy In this book, there are two sheep who have a tendency to get into mischeif. However, the sheep dog is always there to keep them in line. However, the two sheep go too far one time. Readers must find out what happens to the sheep!
Kari
Oct 30, 2010 Kari rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Lots of wink-winks for adults.
Anne Beier
A lot of speech bubbles.
Jack Vinson
Nov 23, 2010 Jack Vinson rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Another fun picture book with the kids. So far, the kids enjoy Monkey with a Toolbelt more, but this one has a number of fun elements too.
Nick Cherry
Apr 19, 2011 Nick Cherry rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-book, animals
This book was not my favorite picture book. It had great pictures, but the story itself was not the best.
Amy
Mar 15, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The sheep remind me of my children...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Roslyn Rutabaga and the Biggest Hole on Earth!
  • Cupcake
  • The Butt Book
  • There Are No Cats in this Book
  • Wanted: The Perfect Pet
  • Ducks Don't Wear Socks
Chris Monroe's humor and intricate illustrations draw high praise from reviewers and bloggers alike. Chris is also the author and illustrator of Totally Uncool and the long-running comic strip Violet Days. She lives in Duluth, Minnesota.
More about Chris Monroe...