Start by marking “The Adventures of Tom Sawyer” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Classic Starts)

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  1,875 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
An abridged version of the adventures of Tom and his friends growing up in a small Missouri town on the banks of the Mississippi River in the nineteenth century.
Hardcover, Abridged, 160 pages
Published March 1st 2005 by Sterling

Wadha
Nov 04, 2013 Wadha rated it really liked it

I really enjoyed reading The Adventures of Tom Sawyer because I never read it when I was child. Also, it has events in each chapter that make the reader get exciting to continue reading the book. It is about a young boy Tom who always searching for a new adventure but he end it in trouble. Tom lives with his Aunt Polly. He likes Becky Thatcher a new girl in school. He hangs out with Huck Finn. One night both of them witness a murder but they scared to tell the troth. Tom is adventurer young boy
Rose
Oct 18, 2016 Rose rated it it was amazing
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer is an edge of your seat kind of book. It has an overwhelmingly powerful voice. That if you read it right you can see perfectly clear. I enjoyed reading it and never got bored. It was not a very difficult book to read. You can't really sum up just one thing about it. But "' Tomas Sawyer'" had some crazy adventures.
Melissa Namba
Oct 17, 2016 Melissa Namba rated it it was ok
didn't love this version. might work in a pinch as a cliffs notes type thing, but you lose so much nuance and humor. you do get the straight up story with cleaned up language. kind of meh.
Wesley
Apr 21, 2016 Wesley rated it really liked it
This book is about a boy named Tom who goes on a lot of adventures, and in doing so gets in a lot of trouble. Tom finds himself in many dangerous situations, but he always figures out how to get out of them. Tom also falls in love with a girl, Becky Thatcher.
The Book “Tom Sawyer” takes place in a small town, St. Petersburg, in Missouri. The story takes place all over the town. Tom and his friends frequently swim in the river, play in the cave, and even go to the graveyard. Tom, the main charac
Chris Chinchilla
Apr 19, 2014 Chris Chinchilla rated it liked it

Following Sterling's spectacularly successful launch of its children's classic novels (240,000 books in print to date),comes a dazzling new series: Classic Starts. The stories are abridged; the quality is complete. Classic Starts treats the world's beloved tales (and children) with the respect they deserve--all at an incomparable price.

"Tom Sawyer liked adventures, which means he was always getting in trouble." Searching for treasure, witnessing a murder, getting caught in a bat cave, trickin

Christopher Menatti
May 16, 2016 Christopher Menatti rated it it was amazing
If someone knew how to find treasure they would probably do it. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain is about a boy named Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Fin Tom's friend who are trying to find treasure. In the book the author makes you wonder if they will find treasure or not. The author does this by making them start digging for it a lot. The author also makes it scary for them because there is a criminal around. When they were looking for treasure they saw the criminal. The author makes you ...more
Kristen Sawyer
This story was published in 1876 and that makes it historical fiction. Tom was a witness to a murder and he had to decide whether to keep quiet about it and hope for the best or tell the authorities and risk the murderer coming after him. Tom was a rambunctious and mischievous boy and some of the lessons he had to learn way back in 1876 are still valuable lessons to learn today. It’s the story of how a young boy grows up morally, psychologically and intellectually. Some of the lessons kids can ...more
LULU lee
May 19, 2015 LULU lee rated it really liked it
It has a splendid childhood just like have the world, and let us unforgettable and " The Adventures of Tom Sawyer " masters Tom is a typical example, he is a clever sedentary children, he resourceful, compassionate, who resent the attitude of the real environment, bent out of town, to become outlaws, too chivalric life. In his Aunt 's eyes, he is a naughty, acting more ghosts, she cannot help himself like him; in children it seems, he was a wise leader, a hero. From them we saw the shadow of ...more
Cynthia
May 22, 2012 Cynthia rated it really liked it
Once again another read from the Classic Starts series. My boys really got into this one and I admit that I did too. What boy doesn't love the adventures of young Tom Sawyer? There were a couple of times where we were all sitting at the edge of our seats in anticipation of how Tom was going to get out of some of the situations he finds himself in. It was admittedly a little intense for them at times and they kept begging for "one more chapter!" so that they could have some resolution. I highly ...more
Kenley
Jan 29, 2016 Kenley added it
Shelves: 2016
I tried re-reading this book to see if I could understand it this time, or see if it wa any better. I was wrong. We all know the basic story of Tom Sawyer. Honestly, the way it is written and transcribed, it makes me feel blessed that "Great Illustrated Classics" exist. That series is how I understood Frankenstein, read Jekyll & Hyde over and over, but Tom Sawyer is just plain boring. I don't casually read Twain or Shakespeare. I could spend a full 10 minutes on a page of Tom Sawyer and ...more
Bridget
Jun 20, 2013 Bridget rated it really liked it
I liked the book a lot. The further along I got in the book, the more I liked it. I wouldn't say it's a favorite, but still really good none-the-less. As always, I loved Huck Finn. It took me so long to read because it took some time for me to get into it, plus, I was reading another book as well.

There isn't a whole lot I can say about this book so, I guess I'll end it here!
Tiana
I would never have picked this book up, but Steven brought it home from the library and I decided to try it. It was a great way to introduce my kids to the story. They loved it. And while I know they missed some of the humor and wit of Twain's writing, it made the story so much more accessible. I will definitely try another Classic Starts.
Kristin
May 22, 2012 Kristin rated it liked it
Since I never read this as a child, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this aloud with my 7 & 8 year olds. I saw reviews criticizing this version for being too abridged-- but since I haven't read the original, I enjoyed the brevity of this one along with my kids. It was a fun book to read-- with lots of interesting conversations and interruptions throughout.
Minkyo Seo
Oct 23, 2014 Minkyo Seo rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading about the adventures of a boy. There are classic themes about children all throughout, even though it is set in the late 1800s. I especially enjoyed the superstitions Tom believed. My favorite thing about this book is that tom is very adventurous and curious about everything. Over all, I have enjoyed this book. And I recommend to people who likes to read adventure stories.
Evansmom
Jun 03, 2016 Evansmom rated it liked it
I read this to my son when he was 8. This was one of the classics I wanted to him to know. Since most kids don't get a chance to read them. It was enjoyable reading about this mischief he encountered. And the suspense of a murder in town.
Kylimichaels
Feb 14, 2015 Kylimichaels rated it liked it
I didn't like this book as much as I thought I would. I guess it's because I didn't understand some, if not most, of it. But the parts I did understand were humorus. Not my favorite book, but it's a classic.
Kenneth Peng
May 22, 2012 Kenneth Peng rated it did not like it
This was the extremely abridged version. It was quite dull. After reading a bit of the original version, this version does not compare at all. It lacks a lot of the "oomph" that the original story had. Do not recommend at ALL.
Karen Chow
May 22, 2012 Karen Chow rated it liked it
Recommended to Karen by: Paul Hsu
Shelves: yafiction
I enjoyed reading about the adventures of a boy. There are classic themes about children all throughout, even though it is set in the late 1800s. I especially enjoyed the superstitions Tom believed. We have similar superstitions as kids.
SooMin Kang
Jun 27, 2012 SooMin Kang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book from the recommendation of my teacher since she said it was very funny. I enoyed laughing at all the strange trouble Tom Sawyer and his friends got into. Especially painting the fence!!
Eric Starkman
Sep 10, 2012 Eric Starkman rated it really liked it
This is a good book. It was about a kid named Tom Sawyer who went on a lot of adventures. He has an adventurous soul. he can go on 20+ adventures a day. If you asked him to tell you about something he'd do it. Tom sawyer knows a lot in this book.
Fateemya
Feb 27, 2016 Fateemya rated it liked it
(Tom, Huck & Bicky) are the main personalities of The adventures of Tom Sawyer written by Mark Twain.

The events and adventures transferred between { school, church, graveyard and cave}.

It is a nice story to read.
06kuot
Nov 21, 2014 06kuot rated it it was amazing
This book has a lot of humor in it, and it is easily connected to many of our previous childhood experiences. The version I read isn't this one, but since I have this version of book at home too I just added it. I strongly recommend this book, it is a classic and I pity those who haven't read it.
Robin Reese
May 06, 2016 Robin Reese rated it liked it
I think if I had read this at 12, I would have loved it. At 48, I kept thinking this boy needed someone to discipline him!
Navanya Sharma
Oct 28, 2012 Navanya Sharma rated it really liked it
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Maribeth Meyers
reading these to Cooper and hopefully instilling a love of books for years to come. I think he looks forward to it every night at bedtime.
Maryam
Aug 18, 2016 Maryam rated it liked it
I really loved it it's really fun! Oh and by the way theres an The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn, i haven't read that one yet
Ruth
Oct 28, 2015 Ruth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
We listened to an audio recording by Curtis Sisco and enjoyed it tremendously. Kids loved the story.
Cesarina
May 22, 2012 Cesarina rated it liked it
This book is very interesting because Tom as he hunts for buried treasure, make nighttime visits to the graveyard,and explores the dark and secret caves near his home.
Suzanne
May 22, 2012 Suzanne rated it it was ok
Only read it because I had to teach it for five years. Over time, it became funnier, and less like having a tooth pulled.
Judy
Aug 14, 2012 Judy rated it really liked it
My kids like the adventures in the story and my oldest likes to ask if he can read it to us instead of me always doing the reading!
  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Classic Starts Series)
  • Treasure Island
  • The Story of King Arthur & His Knights (Classic Starts Series)
  • The Adventures of Robin Hood (Classic Starts Series)
  • Oliver Twist
  • Frankenstein (Classic Starts Series)
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • Black Beauty
  • The Call of the Wild
  • The Secret Garden (Classic Starts Series)
  • Greek Myths (Classic Starts Series)
  • Alice in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass (Classic Starts Series)

Classic Starts (1 - 10 of 61 books)
  • 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (Classic Starts Series)
  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Classic Starts Series)
  • The Adventures of Robin Hood (Classic Starts Series)
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • Alice in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass (Classic Starts Series)
  • Animal Stories (Classic Starts Series)
  • Anne of Avonlea (Classic Start Series)
  • Anne of Green Gables (Classic Starts)
  • Arabian Nights (Classic Starts Series)
  • Around the World in 80 Days