The Hopeless Romantic's Handbook

The Hopeless Romantic's Handbook

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  728 ratings  ·  55 reviews
Knight wanted. Must have shiny armor and own horse, preferably white.

When it comes to romance, are magic, fireworks, and a dashing knight in shining Armani really too much to ask? Apparently so, since Kate Hetherington has yet to find an appropriate mate in all of London. Her lifelong friends (and confirmed pragmatists) Sally and Tom tease her endlessly about her hopeless...more
Published (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Hopeless Romantic's Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hopeless Romantic's Handbook

Amita
Its a cute summertime read which tries to follow the format of other women writers in the "fun read for the 20/30 crowd" genre (Sophie Kinsella, Jane Green etc). While predictable, its still an read for the beach or a plane ride as a "non-thinking" book. Its not as good, however, as other writers in that genre.
Veronica Widya
i knew it!! i knew it!! i knew from the start that Kate and Tom will end up together. i have read many stories like this, where the bestfriends falling in love. i love this book. its really 'happening' and based on fact. we can find someone like kate nowadays who practically Hopeless Romantic. but she's cute and nice. i like her character. she very nice and fun. but yeah, a bit dumb sometimes, because she's too' romantic'. i mean, when i read the hopeless romantic's handbook, theres nothing wron...more
Titah
declair: I wrote this review in Bahasa...

***
Tunggu, saya sempat bilang bahwa buku ini sedikit membosankan? Well, let me clarify coz I wanna say
I Love This Book...
Judul novelnya (The Hopeless Romantic's Handbook) yang memanggilkan saya di toko buku dan akhirnya berhasil membujuk untuk membeli. Konyol ya, tapi dia memang bilang 'oh, c'mon.. kamu harus baca saya! Saya memang ditulis untuk (para romantis kronis seperti) kamu'. lol

Di 30an halaman pertama memang kinda bored (catatan:ini terjadi dalam...more
Valery Beauchamp
Grazie alla segnalazione di Elisa su Ignis Fatuus, ho scoperto dell’esistenza della sorella di Sophie Kinsella (che io amo alla follia), il suo nome è Gemma Townley. Il libro di cui vi parlo è l’ultimo edito dalla Giunti e si intitola “Cura miracolosa per un'inguaribile romantica”, con un titolo così come potevo non leggerlo XD.
La storia ruota intorno a 3 grandi amici, Kate, Sal e Tom e alle loro vite amorose. Sal, sposata con Ed dedito al lavoro, per questo non molto presente in casa; Tom, un d...more
Pamela
Kate is a hopeless romantic -- a trait her friends Sal, a pragmatic, and Tom, who doesn't believe in commitment, constantly make fun of. When Kate does an Internet search, she comes across The Hopeless Romantic's Handbook, which she thinks will solve all her problems. And for a while the book seems to work... She meets Joe, a gorgeous American bartender who seems to be in love with her. But then everything goes wrong when Joe gets together with Penny, the awful presenter on Kate's cable TV makeo...more
Lissa
Reviewed by Lissa Staley
Posted March 15, 2007

Romance Contemporary | Romance Chick-Lit

Kate Hetherington is approaching 30 and so desperate to find someone special that she's already tried every approach to meeting men in London, including speed dating. Her married friends tell Kate she's a hopeless romantic and warn her that she'll never find someone who meets her standards. On the Internet, Kate finds an auction for the perfect book, "THE HOPELESS ROMANTIC'S HANDBOOK." She buys it and begins t...more
Red
Ah! It was so romantic!
----------------
Kate Hetherington adalah seorang yang selalu menyukai hal-hal yang romantis, menginginkan pasangan hidup yang diketahuinya dari pandangan pertama. Namun keinginannya itu selalu diolok oleh kedua sahabatnya, Sal dan Tom, yang melihat dunia dengan kesinisan dan pragmatis. Kate lalu menemukan Joe dimana ia merasa bahwa Joe-lah jodohnya. Namun satu hal yang tidak ditulis pada Panduan untuk si Romantis Kronis adalah seharusnya si romantis kronis selalu memperhat...more
Mary
i ended up liking this book much more than i thought i would. the second time around i kept reading past the initial story hook, where a girl buys a book off ebay called the romantic handbook with money back guarentee.

of course you know that the guy she meets right when she gets the book will not be the one for her, but it's always fun to read about her antics while following the book...

of course the story has it's twists and turns to captivate the reader, and i really enjoyed the twist and turn...more
Chanpreet
This is a sweet story about Kate Hetherington, an interior stylist, who is a self confessed hopeless romantic, on the verge of turning 30. She's looking for the one and stumbles across a book for sale on e-bay, titled "The Hopeless Romantic's Handbook" written in the 50s, and buys in on an impulse. Coincidentally, she meets Joe, a handsome actor whiling away his time being a bartender. Is he the one for Kate? She seems to think so. Kate's best friends Sal and Tom also appear in the story, each w...more
Taimara
When I picked up the book, I thought it was a bit different, despite the title. Anyway, I'm not much into romantic novels or chick flicks, so to speak and I could totally see this book being the next "romantic comedy" movie coming out. Yeah, not my thing. Anyway, I can't say it doesn't have it's cuteness and funny parts. Best thing about it, though, is that it's set in London and I absolutely love England, so for me it was easy to imagine the character (except for Joe) talking in their English a...more
Lindsey
Jul 20, 2007 Lindsey rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The Hopeless Romantics...Obviously!
Shelves: funreads
This book is up there on the cheesy level but a definate must read!! It's a story of a hopeless romantic who is just wishing and wanting to find that old fashioned, can't live without them, kissing in a rain storm type of love. Her friends tell her to get real and that it doesn't exist, but like a girl true to my own heart, she doesn't believe them. Instead, she finds an old 1950's book entitled "The Hopeless Romantic's Handbook." Throughtout this book the main character journey's through her qu...more
Nana
Well...
Another great chicklit book.
It's fun and great. A lot of lessons could be found in this little book, especially about relationship. Although, idk, i think this book has lack of romance, despite of the title. And pretty clean read.
I really wish the author gave more about Tom and Kate's ending and also about the result of the makeover. But overall, still like this book so much.

For a complete review in Bahasa Indonesia:
aRee
It was sweet. Just like what you expected from a chicklit. What I like about this book is how the main character able to pull herself together and then, after that, she get her happily ever after. The books said things that's actually not romantics at all. That life is hard. That people need to be a hero..for themselves. Since life will always be full of bad things..we can only change the way we see it.
Mary
I enjoyed this book and would try another book by this author. The story takes place in England and yes, it's a romance! Not to overuse a comparason in my reviews, but if you like Jennifer Weiner books you'd probably like this one too, in the way you are made familiar with the main characters friends and life and it explores less than favorable relationships and then better ones.
Joy
Jul 14, 2009 Joy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joy by: Lauren
Shelves: chick-lit
I really enjoyed this book. It did take some time to get into it, but once it happened, I was sucked in. I thought it was better than the other book I read by Townley, The Importance of Being Married A Novel.
Lisa
This book was very predictable. The plot was flimsy. It didn't grab me. It's no wonder it took forever to read what should've been an easy read. There was nothing gripping about this book. No real struggle. The premise sounded good, but the author really jumped through everything far too quickly.
Kristy
Just from reading the back, you can tell how the book will end. I was going to quit reading because what's the point if you can call the ending?! But I gave it the 50 pages test and it did get better. There were other stories to get into. I'm glad I finished it. But yeah I'm going to pass it on.
Deb
Kate is a "hopeless romantic" who thinks she's found the man of her dreams after reading "The hopeless romantic's handbook" which she bought on ebay. Unfortunately her two best friends don't agree with her choice and this only makes her defend him more. (He really is a jerk!) Another cute story.
Julie
It was a cute fun book that made me laugh. The only thing I didn't really like, and the reason why I didn't give it a four, was because of the swearing. The author has a different sense of humor than I do and therefore didn't think all the swearing was appropriate.
Meredith
Read this over the weekend...I guess it's not a good sign when you can figure out what will happen to each character by page 7 (and you end up being right). But I still kept reading. Guess I needed something like this. And the characters were endearing.
Shine
Although this book was a bit predictable, it did have its funny and witty moments. It's definitely a good read for anyone feeling a good chick flick. It's light and the story isn't too hard to follow. Finished it in about a day. I enjoyed it!
Alison
Mar 13, 2009 Alison rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Brit Chick Lit
I actually thought this book was really cute. Cliche, but fun and sweet, and a really fast read. If you like the Brit chick lit genre, I honestly don't think this one will disappoint. It's not as good as Bridget Jones, but it's still a fun read.
Julia
it's a really easy read, but not a "dumb" one.
It shows that sometimes we wish for the perfect things, even though we have just what we need directly before our nose and don't notice it, because we're STILL looking for something better.
Krystal
A fun chick lit story - was it bad I kept thinking how it was written to be adapted for film? Main characters are fun and predictable - nothing new here but a quick, easy beach read if you need one!
Sherrie Bakshi
Oct 16, 2011 Sherrie Bakshi is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I am a hopless romantic so reading this book was great for me! It did take time to get into but once the story picked up, I couldn't put it down. I am definitely a british chick lit fan!
Inge Hulsker
Nice easy read. Very predictable... You know from page 1 who Kate's gonna end up with.
The bits of the 'handbook' were a bit boring to read. The rest was nice and fast.
Samantha
So far, it stinks. It is a very corny, very predictable. Except that I have this thing about finishing all books that I start. So, I'll suffer through it.
Deb
Light romantic comedy about a Londoner who refuses to settle, and is looking for her Mr. Right. Cute and not corny, although somewhat predictable.
Png
An easy fluffy chick-lit I enjoyed reading. It had romance (obviously) and humour. Love the writing of the author and her works.
Pam
This book was cute but the ending was very predictable. It's definitely read for fun when you need a romantic pick-me-up.
  • Special Relationship
  • Party Girl
  • Love: A User's Guide: A Novel of Romance with Attitude
  • Forget Me Knot
  • Bare Necessity
  • Rescuing Rose
  • Pick Me Up
  • 50 Ways To Find A Lover (Sarah Sargeant, #1)
  • Once Upon A Blind Date
  • Wedding Season
  • Simply Divine
  • Rode sneeuw in december
  • Flip-Flopped
Gemma Townley launched her writing career at the age of sixteen with a book review in Harpers & Queen. At Reading University, unimpressed with the official university paper, Spark, she launched a satirical rival, Spank, which she edited for a year before taking over as deputy editor on Spark and features editor on South-East Student.

Gemma is currently head of communications at the Chartered In...more
More about Gemma Townley...
Little White Lies: A Novel of Love and Good Intentions The Importance of Being Married (Jessica Wild, #1) When in Rome...: A Novel of Piazzas and Passion Learning Curves A Wild Affair (Jessica Wild, #2)