Start by marking “The Hopeless Romantic's Handbook” as Want to Read:
The Hopeless Romantic's Handbook

The Hopeless Romantic's Handbook

3.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  888 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
Knight wanted. Must have shiny armor and own horse, preferably white.

Published (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Hopeless Romantic's Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hopeless Romantic's Handbook

Love Fool
Sep 17, 2014 Love Fool rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Knight wanted. Must have shiny armor and own horse, preferably white.

When it comes to romance, are magic, fireworks, and a dashing knight in shining Armani really too much to ask? Apparently so, since Kate Hetherington has yet to find an appropriate mate in all of London. Her lifelong friends (and confirmed pragmatists) Sally and Tom tease her endlessly about her hopeless romanticism. But Kate knows that she's right to want her own fairy tale.

You have to appreciate Chick-lits like these. They a
Amita
Jul 06, 2007 Amita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its a cute summertime read which tries to follow the format of other women writers in the "fun read for the 20/30 crowd" genre (Sophie Kinsella, Jane Green etc). While predictable, its still an read for the beach or a plane ride as a "non-thinking" book. Its not as good, however, as other writers in that genre.
Veronica Widya
Oct 06, 2012 Veronica Widya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
i knew it!! i knew it!! i knew from the start that Kate and Tom will end up together. i have read many stories like this, where the bestfriends falling in love. i love this book. its really 'happening' and based on fact. we can find someone like kate nowadays who practically Hopeless Romantic. but she's cute and nice. i like her character. she very nice and fun. but yeah, a bit dumb sometimes, because she's too' romantic'. i mean, when i read the hopeless romantic's handbook, theres nothing wron ...more
Titah
Dec 17, 2012 Titah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
declair: I wrote this review in Bahasa...

***
Tunggu, saya sempat bilang bahwa buku ini sedikit membosankan? Well, let me clarify coz I wanna say
I Love This Book...
Judul novelnya (The Hopeless Romantic's Handbook) yang memanggilkan saya di toko buku dan akhirnya berhasil membujuk untuk membeli. Konyol ya, tapi dia memang bilang 'oh, c'mon.. kamu harus baca saya! Saya memang ditulis untuk (para romantis kronis seperti) kamu'. lol

Di 30an halaman pertama memang kinda bored (catatan:ini terjadi dalam
Valery Beauchamp
Grazie alla segnalazione di Elisa su Ignis Fatuus, ho scoperto dell’esistenza della sorella di Sophie Kinsella (che io amo alla follia), il suo nome è Gemma Townley. Il libro di cui vi parlo è l’ultimo edito dalla Giunti e si intitola “Cura miracolosa per un'inguaribile romantica”, con un titolo così come potevo non leggerlo XD.
La storia ruota intorno a 3 grandi amici, Kate, Sal e Tom e alle loro vite amorose. Sal, sposata con Ed dedito al lavoro, per questo non molto presente in casa; Tom, un d
Pamela
Jul 06, 2013 Pamela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kate is a hopeless romantic -- a trait her friends Sal, a pragmatic, and Tom, who doesn't believe in commitment, constantly make fun of. When Kate does an Internet search, she comes across The Hopeless Romantic's Handbook, which she thinks will solve all her problems. And for a while the book seems to work... She meets Joe, a gorgeous American bartender who seems to be in love with her. But then everything goes wrong when Joe gets together with Penny, the awful presenter on Kate's cable TV makeo ...more
Lissa
Sep 23, 2013 Lissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fresh-fiction
Reviewed by Lissa Staley
Posted March 15, 2007

Romance Contemporary | Romance Chick-Lit

Kate Hetherington is approaching 30 and so desperate to find someone special that she's already tried every approach to meeting men in London, including speed dating. Her married friends tell Kate she's a hopeless romantic and warn her that she'll never find someone who meets her standards. On the Internet, Kate finds an auction for the perfect book, "THE HOPELESS ROMANTIC'S HANDBOOK." She buys it and begins t
Alice
Ah! It was so romantic!
----------------
Kate Hetherington adalah seorang yang selalu menyukai hal-hal yang romantis, menginginkan pasangan hidup yang diketahuinya dari pandangan pertama. Namun keinginannya itu selalu diolok oleh kedua sahabatnya, Sal dan Tom, yang melihat dunia dengan kesinisan dan pragmatis. Kate lalu menemukan Joe dimana ia merasa bahwa Joe-lah jodohnya. Namun satu hal yang tidak ditulis pada Panduan untuk si Romantis Kronis adalah seharusnya si romantis kronis selalu memperhat
Tara
Sep 11, 2014 Tara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Although I've been enjoying getting to know Gemma Townley's books, I have to say this one fell kinda flat for me. It had certainly sounded intriguing enough, but it just felt kinda meh. Nothing really built up very much. In spite of the third-person narrative, and jumping around to each character, I still never felt like I got to know the characters very well. Much like the makeovers on Kate's tv show, the plot and characters just seemed a bit drab. I didn't hate it, though, and I'm still a Gemm ...more
Mary
i ended up liking this book much more than i thought i would. the second time around i kept reading past the initial story hook, where a girl buys a book off ebay called the romantic handbook with money back guarentee.

of course you know that the guy she meets right when she gets the book will not be the one for her, but it's always fun to read about her antics while following the book...

of course the story has it's twists and turns to captivate the reader, and i really enjoyed the twist and turn
Chanpreet
Jan 07, 2012 Chanpreet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a sweet story about Kate Hetherington, an interior stylist, who is a self confessed hopeless romantic, on the verge of turning 30. She's looking for the one and stumbles across a book for sale on e-bay, titled "The Hopeless Romantic's Handbook" written in the 50s, and buys in on an impulse. Coincidentally, she meets Joe, a handsome actor whiling away his time being a bartender. Is he the one for Kate? She seems to think so. Kate's best friends Sal and Tom also appear in the story, each w ...more
Taimara
When I picked up the book, I thought it was a bit different, despite the title. Anyway, I'm not much into romantic novels or chick flicks, so to speak and I could totally see this book being the next "romantic comedy" movie coming out. Yeah, not my thing. Anyway, I can't say it doesn't have it's cuteness and funny parts. Best thing about it, though, is that it's set in London and I absolutely love England, so for me it was easy to imagine the character (except for Joe) talking in their English a ...more
Lindsey
Jul 20, 2007 Lindsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The Hopeless Romantics...Obviously!
Shelves: funreads
This book is up there on the cheesy level but a definate must read!! It's a story of a hopeless romantic who is just wishing and wanting to find that old fashioned, can't live without them, kissing in a rain storm type of love. Her friends tell her to get real and that it doesn't exist, but like a girl true to my own heart, she doesn't believe them. Instead, she finds an old 1950's book entitled "The Hopeless Romantic's Handbook." Throughtout this book the main character journey's through her qu ...more
Jenn
Dec 12, 2015 Jenn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Off to a slow start but a really cute chick lit read set in London.
Nana
Feb 25, 2012 Nana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well...
Another great chicklit book.
It's fun and great. A lot of lessons could be found in this little book, especially about relationship. Although, idk, i think this book has lack of romance, despite of the title. And pretty clean read.
I really wish the author gave more about Tom and Kate's ending and also about the result of the makeover. But overall, still like this book so much.

For a complete review in Bahasa Indonesia:
aRee
Jun 09, 2013 aRee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was sweet. Just like what you expected from a chicklit. What I like about this book is how the main character able to pull herself together and then, after that, she get her happily ever after. The books said things that's actually not romantics at all. That life is hard. That people need to be a hero..for themselves. Since life will always be full of bad things..we can only change the way we see it.
Mary
Nov 26, 2008 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book and would try another book by this author. The story takes place in England and yes, it's a romance! Not to overuse a comparason in my reviews, but if you like Jennifer Weiner books you'd probably like this one too, in the way you are made familiar with the main characters friends and life and it explores less than favorable relationships and then better ones.
Joy
Jul 14, 2009 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joy by: Lauren
Shelves: chick-lit
I really enjoyed this book. It did take some time to get into it, but once it happened, I was sucked in. I thought it was better than the other book I read by Townley, The Importance of Being Married A Novel.
Lisa
Apr 13, 2008 Lisa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
This book was very predictable. The plot was flimsy. It didn't grab me. It's no wonder it took forever to read what should've been an easy read. There was nothing gripping about this book. No real struggle. The premise sounded good, but the author really jumped through everything far too quickly.
Kristy
Mar 22, 2009 Kristy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009
Just from reading the back, you can tell how the book will end. I was going to quit reading because what's the point if you can call the ending?! But I gave it the 50 pages test and it did get better. There were other stories to get into. I'm glad I finished it. But yeah I'm going to pass it on.
Deb
Nov 20, 2008 Deb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british-chic-lit
Kate is a "hopeless romantic" who thinks she's found the man of her dreams after reading "The hopeless romantic's handbook" which she bought on ebay. Unfortunately her two best friends don't agree with her choice and this only makes her defend him more. (He really is a jerk!) Another cute story.
Julie
Aug 08, 2011 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a cute fun book that made me laugh. The only thing I didn't really like, and the reason why I didn't give it a four, was because of the swearing. The author has a different sense of humor than I do and therefore didn't think all the swearing was appropriate.
Meredith
Jul 21, 2008 Meredith rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Read this over the weekend...I guess it's not a good sign when you can figure out what will happen to each character by page 7 (and you end up being right). But I still kept reading. Guess I needed something like this. And the characters were endearing.
Shine
Jun 28, 2012 Shine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this book was a bit predictable, it did have its funny and witty moments. It's definitely a good read for anyone feeling a good chick flick. It's light and the story isn't too hard to follow. Finished it in about a day. I enjoyed it!
Alison
Mar 13, 2009 Alison rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Brit Chick Lit
I actually thought this book was really cute. Cliche, but fun and sweet, and a really fast read. If you like the Brit chick lit genre, I honestly don't think this one will disappoint. It's not as good as Bridget Jones, but it's still a fun read.
Kitvaria
Jul 20, 2008 Kitvaria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it's a really easy read, but not a "dumb" one.
It shows that sometimes we wish for the perfect things, even though we have just what we need directly before our nose and don't notice it, because we're STILL looking for something better.
Krystal
Aug 19, 2011 Krystal rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, chick-lit
A fun chick lit story - was it bad I kept thinking how it was written to be adapted for film? Main characters are fun and predictable - nothing new here but a quick, easy beach read if you need one!
Sherrie Bakshi
Oct 16, 2011 Sherrie Bakshi is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I am a hopless romantic so reading this book was great for me! It did take time to get into but once the story picked up, I couldn't put it down. I am definitely a british chick lit fan!
Inge Hulsker
Nice easy read. Very predictable... You know from page 1 who Kate's gonna end up with.
The bits of the 'handbook' were a bit boring to read. The rest was nice and fast.
Samantha
Aug 04, 2008 Samantha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So far, it stinks. It is a very corny, very predictable. Except that I have this thing about finishing all books that I start. So, I'll suffer through it.
  • Special Relationship
  • Flip-Flopped
  • The Art of French Kissing
  • Emily Ever After
  • Girls' Poker Night
Gemma Townley launched her writing career at the age of sixteen with a book review in Harpers & Queen. At Reading University, unimpressed with the official university paper, Spark, she launched a satirical rival, Spank, which she edited for a year before taking over as deputy editor on Spark and features editor on South-East Student.

Gemma is currently head of communications at the Chartered In
More about Gemma Townley...