Start by marking “The Wit and Wisdom of Abraham Lincoln: A Book of Quotations” as Want to Read:
The Wit and Wisdom of Abraham Lincoln: A Book of Quotations

The Wit and Wisdom of Abraham Lincoln: A Book of Quotations

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  371 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1965)

Received this a a present for Christmas from Beth. I'll bet she didn't think I'd actually read it cover to cover! Anyway, it has some humorous and thoughtful quotations - some I'd read before and others that were new - that shed light on what an exceptional president. I doubt we'll ever elect someone with as much humility, compassion, and forgiveness since, in our cynical world, those qualities make someone "weak". I'd take Lincoln's "weakness" any day over what characterizes most of our elected ...more
Taffy
My hubby bought this book for me when he and our Scouter boy were at Gettysburg. Love it!
I'm kinda cheating on this review because I haven't finished the book. I plan to leave it on my nightstand and randomly pick it up and enjoy Lincoln's wisdom. And wit.
He was an amazing man!

Rating: G

Page 69 test:
""OLD BUCK" PASSES THE BUCK
As the term of the fifteenth President wound down to its end, James Buchanan wrestled with the insurmountable problem of avoiding war. Many of his own cabinet members were
James
This book focuses more on the wisdom - though there's a fair amount of Lincoln's wry sense of humor, there's more that reflects his passionate hatred of slavery and his powerful sense of justice and empathy for his fellow human beings. I've always admired Abraham Lincoln, while recognizing that he was an imperfect man with some of the failings of his time and some of his own; I have always been awed by the sheer emotional strength he showed in carrying on for those four years of the Civil War be ...more
Michele
Fun to look at Lincoln as our first humorist.
36: Capital has it rights, which are as worthy of protection as any other rights.

172: It is difficult to make a man miserable while he feels he is worthy of himself and claims kindred to the great God who made him.
TL
Lovely little volume, Lincoln was a complex yet simple man at the same time... If that makes sense :)

If I could go back in time and visit one person, it'd be him

This has been re-read many times and will continue to be :) (guessing on year)
Cory
Bought an early edition of this book- it is one of my favorite books of all time. He is the most eloquent president in the history of the US.
Lesley
Interesting collection of things Lincoln spoke or wrote. One thing I learned is that the Thanksgiving holiday was started when Lincoln was in office.
Emna
“A capacity and taste for reading gives access to whatever has already been discovered by others. It is the key, or one of the keys, to the already solved problems. And not only so, it gives a relish and facility for successfully pursing the yet unsolved ones”.
-Speech to the Wisconsin State Agricultural Society,
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, September 30, 1859

“..there is no reason in the world why the negro is not entitled to all the natural rights enumerated in the Declaration of Independence, the right
Chris
A very enjoyable little book full of Lincoln's words of wisdom.

Abraham Lincoln, famous for bringing victory to the Union in the American Civil War and abolishing slavery in the United States was a very wise, witty and noble man. The book contains extracts from his speeches, letters and conversations. It is full of wit, common sense and a desire to do the right thing by countless slaves in the southern states of America (known as the Confederate states)

Highly recommended
David Kent
Some interesting quotes and stories, but also quite a few errors and "creative" interpretations. One of many wit and wisdom books available.
Marsha
Anecdotes, stories, epigrams and jokes outline the dry wit of America’s 16th President. Whether cooling off a midget adversary or inquiring about the state of a taller soldier’s feet, Mr. Lincoln’s wit rarely failed him. He knew that everybody needed a dose of humor from time to time. Why should the President be exempt?

Wry and insightful, “The Wit & Wisdom of Abraham Lincoln” is a pocketbook to treasure and something to refer to if you ever find yourself stuck in certain situations or merel
Ana Vargas
I loved reading about Abe's humor and humility.
Jennifer Adams
The book a a bit dry and in my opinion does not do justice to either the wit or the wisdom of Lincoln.
Teresa
Jan 24, 2014 Teresa is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm actually reading the version written by James C. Hume
Nicholas Maulucci
good book. a lot of good, interesting information. a lot of insight into Lincoln's outlook on the civil war and a myriad of other subjects. enjoyable and easy to read.
Fourth Dimension
Could not offer much insight into the wit and wisdom of Mr. President. Quick read though.
Ada
I'm thoroughly enjoying getting to know Abraham Lincoln better by the way he approached life. The things he said to people he worked with in different situations give a real life look at his personality.
Ksvonnegut
Lots of wisdom, not a lot of wit. I was looking for more of Lincoln's wonderful stories and got excerpts from his many excellent speeches. The speeches were great, just not what I was hoping for.
Michael
Very good reading of Abraham Lincoln and his contribution to American humor. I'm always amazed by Lincoln's intelligence and grasp of the circumstances that surround him.
Susan
A great little book containing some of the most noted and best speeches and quotes of Lincoln. A must for any one studying the president or for collectors of articles on Lincoln.
Andre
This is one of the newest and best of the books about Lincoln's wit and wisdom. It was published first published in 1996. This smaller sized edition was published in 1999.
Brenda
What a man, what a man, what a mighty big man! (No pun intended.)
His resolve saved the nation. He and Washington, and Jefferson are my historical American heroes.
Dennis
I especially liked the section of anecdotes!
Must Read - 3
Well-written - 5 (Lincoln's writing, that is)
Important - 3
Accessible - 5
Kept My Attention - 5
Stephen
2003 wrote: Gift from grandparents when I was about 10. Great words by a great man. Means a lot more to me now, esp read while war was looming.
Jamie Pennington
I would probably give a 3 1/2 but rounded up to 4. Overall a pretty good read. I enjoyed it. At times I laughed and other times cried.
Robert Glustrom
Good quotes but no context provided. The more you know about Lincoln the more you get out of it because you can supply your own context.
Humaira
If you take your time reading this book and Lincoln's letters and writings, you will truly see what a wonderful and intelligent man he was.
Naomi
A fine and tidy collection, sharing some of Lincoln's greatest sayings, and also some of his greatest doubts and demons.
Rhiannon
A collection of quotes, letters, speeches, etc. that show just how brilliant, complex, and funny Abraham Lincoln truly was.
Amanda
Great, short bits for when there isn't a lot of time. Get to know "Honest Abe" a little better.
  • Lincoln's Assassins: Their Trial and Execution
  • 20,000 Quips & Quotes
  • Lincoln  President-Elect : Abraham Lincoln and the Great Secession Winter, 1860-1861
  • Lincoln: A Life of Purpose and Power
  • The Greatest Presidential Stories Never Told: 100 Tales from History to Astonish, Bewilder, and Stupefy
  • The Library of Congress Illustrated Timeline of the Civil War
  • The Great Big Book of Horrible Things: The Definitive Chronicle of History's 100 Worst Atrocities
  • Lincoln and His Admirals
  • Honor's Voice: The Transformation of Abraham Lincoln
  • George vs. George: The American Revolution As Seen from Both Sides
  • The Wit and Wisdom of Mark Twain
  • The Wicked Wit of Winston Churchill
Abraham Lincoln was the sixteenth President of the United States, serving from March 4, 1861 until his assassination. As an outspoken opponent of the expansion of slavery in the United States, Lincoln won the Republican Party nomination in 1860 and was elected president later that year. During his term, he helped preserve the United States by leading the defeat of the secessionist Confederate Stat ...more
More about Abraham Lincoln...
The Gettysburg Address Speeches and Writings, 1832-1858 (Library of America #45) Lincoln: Speeches and Writings, 1859-1865 (Library of America #46) Great Speeches Selected Speeches and Writings